Which game was the biggest disappointment this year?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) 3 years, 25 days ago

Poll: Which game was the biggest disappointment this year? (99 votes)

Batman Arkham Knight 38%
Halo 5 26%
Star Wars Battlefront 35%

All 3 of these were hyped to the moon and were all average at best. My pick is Arkham Knight because that is the one I actually expected to be good.

#2 Posted by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

@walloftruth: Come on man you didn't think he was going to put a PS4 exclusive up there to vote for did you lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
#3 Posted by deactivated-58ce94803a170 (8822 posts) -

I guess Star Wars Battlefront, missing so much goodies compared to previous Battlefronts.

#4 Posted by TJDMHEM (1871 posts) -

batman.

#5 Posted by getyeryayasout (11903 posts) -

I'll say Arkham Knight. Even so I restarted that game a couple nights ago with a fresh perspective and am enjoying it much more than when I first bought it. Shoehorning in a tank so the game can essentially have first person shooting blows, but there's a lot that's good about the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#7 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V

#8 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (1827 posts) -

As much as I enjoyed MGSV, I was expecting it to be in my top 5 games of all time. So much potential but Konami had to go crazy this gen.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (82678 posts) -

Batman: Arkham Knight

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13253 posts) -

I love how there's an xbox exclusive, but no PS4 exclusive in sight. Not like TC's a fanboy or anything.

#11 Posted by 2Chalupas (6920 posts) -

I thought Arkham Knight was great (only the Bat-mobile is disappointing, and it's only disappointing in that it's overused like crazy if you do all the tank battles and races - they needed to ease up on that stuff LOL). So far i"m really loving Battlefront too. I've been playing like crazy for 2 days.

So, I'll vote Halo (even though that's the only one I haven't played).

#12 Edited by lundy86_4 (50923 posts) -

Yay! Troll thread.

The only one I could possibly go for in the OP, is Arkham Knight... Given that i've not played Battlefront yet.

#13 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (17940 posts) -

Yeah obviously a troll thread but I'll play along...

I'd say Halo 5. Whilst it isn't a bad game, the campaign was definitely the weakest one yet. Like I said it isn't a bad game, but as a long time Halo campaign fan, I was pretty disappointed with it.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#14 Edited by storm_of_swords (2492 posts) -

Why isn't The Order: 1886 an option? That's the one I would have voted for; I had high hopes for that game prior to it's release and it was a massive disappointment.

#15 Posted by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

@kratosyoloswag said:

As much as I enjoyed MGSV, I was expecting it to be in my top 5 games of all time. So much potential but Konami had to go crazy this gen.

Shouldn't you be blaming Kojima, I mean he was the one who made it right???

#16 Edited by sailor232 (6880 posts) -

Out of those Batman, I don't know why Halo is up there, the game is great with a lot of great scores.

Edit, well yes I do know why Halo is there, fanboy ahoy.

#17 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (1827 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Shouldn't you be blaming Kojima, I mean he was the one who made it right???

He never got to finish the game. Chapter 3 was cut out entirely and certain cut scenes were removed as well. Then there's the whole FOB/microtransactions BS that was Konami's way of recuperating some costs.

Kojima's now on permanent unpaid vacation.

#18 Posted by Heil68 (58170 posts) -

Halo 5

AAA on LOCK only to AA FLOP

#19 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Halo 5

AAA on LOCK only to AA FLOP

That's a good point.

#20 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

Aside from the Battlefront beta I haven't played any of those games.

Off the top of my head, the biggest disappointment this year for me would probably be Pillars of Eternity or Axiom Verge. And I really liked both games, but neither of them were quite as good as what I was expecting.

#21 Posted by jg4xchamp (61473 posts) -

Batman Arkham Knight. Simply put I expected better from the devs that made Asylum And City. It's by no means a bad game, but that studio was pretty legit as far as my expectations are concerned. I don't like the knock offs of their combat, but in the batman games with rock steady that system has always been satisfying. Either way the Batmobile and open world filler BS compromised that game. It's still very well made in a lot of areas, but it's below the standard that I feel rocksteady set.

#22 Posted by getyeryayasout (11903 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: I know what you mean about Axiom Verge. It's really good but never really peaked like I'd hoped it would.

#23 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

I can't say im disappointed with any of the above because i had zero expectations from these titles. For now, not a single title that i've been hyped for (and purchase), disappointed me. But i haven't bought MGS5 yet and something tells me that this one will disappointment me (recycled missions/non existent cut scenes *the thing i enjoy the most in damn series...* and close to no voice acting for big boss worries me.). But we'll see when im done with fallout 4 and TW3 which will take hundreds upon hundreds of hours.

edit: actually there's gw2's expansion which isn't only disappointing but a fucking abomination i wasted $50 on... That's the only disappointment for 2015 so far.

#24 Posted by Big_Pecks (5973 posts) -

Out of that list, Arkham Knight because I expected so much more (so much less batmobile).

#25 Edited by cainetao11 (35689 posts) -

Can you post your Gamertag? Or at least PM it to me with your acheevos from Halo 5. I don't believe you played Halo 5 and therefore have no basis in truth for your assessment. You're a cow.

#26 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

Stupid fanboy thread ignoring the worst large game release this year because it's on his precious PlayStation 4...

Salty as shit.

#27 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@nyadc said:

Stupid fanboy thread ignoring the worst large game release this year because it's on his precious PlayStation 4...

Salty as shit.

what game is that?

#28 Posted by zassimick (10421 posts) -

Out of the list, Batman: Arkham Knight.

Out of any game I played this year: Dragon Age: Inquisition.

#29 Posted by Vaasman (13296 posts) -

@lostrib said:

what game is that?

Probably Order 1886.

#30 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

@Vaasman said:
@lostrib said:

what game is that?

Probably Order 1886.

Nobody expected it to be good so it wasn't disappointing.

#31 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

Battlefront by far. What a sack of shit that game is.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
#32 Posted by princeofshapeir (16644 posts) -

Arkham Knight for me, still sitting in my Steam library untouched after I booted it up on release day and saw how shit it ran. And since it came with a graphics card there's none of that "I spent money on it, so I might as well play it" guilt-tripping; I'll probably never get around to playing it.

#33 Posted by Vaasman (13296 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag: Not sure you're remembering right. Maybe no one was hyping it as an amazing goty game, but there was a good bit of hype behind . Despite plenty of negative press and feedback the game still managed to be hyped into the 7-8 range by several people, and then scored a 5.

#34 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:

Salty as shit.

what game is that?

The Order: 1886

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

When fanboys get nervous about a game they downplay it and lower expectations so they can at a later point say "well we knew it was going to be shit".

Don't try to tell me you nerds weren't all jazzed about this game, no one thought it was going to be great, but it ending up to be complete shit universally solidifies it as the most disappointing game of the year. When it comes to Halo 5, don't try that shit, it's still a highly rated game with split views on the direction of the campaign, The Order took a shit essentially across the board.

#35 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

@nyadc said:
@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:

Salty as shit.

what game is that?

The Order: 1886

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

When fanboys get nervous about a game they downplay it and lower expectations so they can at a later point say "well we knew it was going to be shit".

Don't try to tell me you nerds weren't all jazzed about this game, no one thought it was going to be great, but it ending up to be complete shit universally solidifies it as the most disappointing game of the year. When it comes to Halo 5, don't try that shit, it's still a highly rated game with split views on the direction of the campaign, The Order took a shit essentially across the board.

You're trying too hard as usual. The Order was a new IP from a studio that never made a console game before and pretty much everyone knew it was going to be a glorified tech demo. Now if you're looking to start a console war please go find a different topic to shit in.

#36 Edited by uninspiredcup (29186 posts) -

Surprisingly, having spent most of the year playing classic pc games and wii/gamecube titles.. nothing. It's probably been the most consistently enjoyable period of gaming in a while.

Don't want to imply new games such as the Witcher 3 are over hyped shite with terrible controls, but they are. This is the reality of the world.

#37 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: Not sure you're remembering right. Maybe no one was hyping it as an amazing goty game, but there was a good bit of hype behind . Despite plenty of negative press and feedback the game still managed to be hyped into the 7-8 range by several people, and then scored a 5.

I don't remember it getting much hype at all. Almost every discussion surrounding it was negative with maybe a few people who thought it would be good.

#38 Posted by raugutcon (5460 posts) -

Where are The Order and Destiny ?

#39 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Surprisingly, having spent most of the year playing classic pc games and wii/gamecube titles.. nothing. It's probably been the most consistently enjoyable period of gaming in a while.

Don't want to imply new games such as the Witcher 3 are over hyped shite with terrible controls, but they are. This is the reality of the world.

Witcher's combat was meh but I got so immersed in the world and story that I found it easy to forgive. It's definitely not a game everybody will enjoy though.

#40 Posted by MonsieurX (38369 posts) -

Godzilla.

#41 Posted by legaldruggie (61 posts) -

@magicalclick: I agree. That game should not be in this poll lol.

#42 Posted by Vaasman (13296 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Vaasman said:

I don't remember it getting much hype at all. Almost every discussion surrounding it was negative with maybe a few people who thought it would be good.

I mean I googled the hype thread and I'm skimming responses. Right up to the point where the first full run revealed the game was generously 6 hours long with lousy game to cutscene ratios, there were plenty of people that could be described at the very least as cautiously optimistic, if not enthusiastic because of things like it's setting and production values. And that's not including any preview threads or news posts.

#43 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

@ConanTheStoner: I know what you mean about Axiom Verge. It's really good but never really peaked like I'd hoped it would.

I still need to finish it, but I did play a good chunk of it and it was really cool. It's been a while since I put it down so I'll probably just start over.

Definitely an enjoyable game, but it's just impossible for me not to compare these titles to the likes of Super Metroid and SotN. In which case, they always come up short. :/

#44 Posted by mitu123 (155276 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Vaasman said:
@lostrib said:

what game is that?

Probably Order 1886.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-order-188flop-hype-thread-score-5-hype-7-31807419/?messageId=343112070&page=1

Game was hyped A-AA and to be one of the better PS4 exclusives due to it's insane graphics and all the time it took to developed and yet it flopped harder than any other game this year. To say no one expected it to be good is hilarious considering how cows and others hyped it.

#45 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

@mitu123 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Vaasman said:
@lostrib said:

what game is that?

Probably Order 1886.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-order-188flop-hype-thread-score-5-hype-7-31807419/?messageId=343112070&page=1

Game was hyped A-AA and to be one of the better PS4 exclusives due to it's insane graphics and all the time it took to developed and yet it flopped harder than any other game this year. To say no one expected it to be good is hilarious considering how cows and others hyped it.

late haha

#46 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Halo 5 SP.

#47 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

@mitu123 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Vaasman said:
@lostrib said:

what game is that?

Probably Order 1886.

The people who "hyped" it were the Sony haters who wanted to see the game flop on here. Nobody actually thought that game was going to be good and trying to compare a new IP from a developer that never made a console game before to the established flops in my poll is laughable.

#48 Posted by freedomfreak (50762 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V, easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
#49 Posted by deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6 (2638 posts) -

You know...If there was a MGS V The Phantom Pain option I would've voted for it.

The best game I've played this generation is also the one that disappointed me the most.

#50 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@mitu123 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Vaasman said:
@lostrib said:

what game is that?

Probably Order 1886.

The people who "hyped" it were the Sony haters who wanted to see the game flop on here. Nobody actually thought that game was going to be good and trying to compare a new IP from a developer that never made a console game before to the established flops in my poll is laughable.

that's not really what happened