Which game got best combat? & which game got worst combat?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

BEST COMBAT-Souls, Bloodborne

WORST COMBAT-The Witcher Trilogy

Well?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Best = some of the DMC series

Not sure about the worst.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Man, you gotta play more games if you think The Witcher has the worst combat lol. I mean, it's nothing to write home about, but it is far from 'worst' territory. Shit, games like Planescape have worse combat than Witcher any day. Elder Scrolls and pre-F4 Fallout as well. Then there's Assassin's Creed, Vampire Masquerade, and so on. And those aren't 'worst' either, just pointing out how your answer seems a bit ridiculous lol.

Anyway, Nioh far outdoes Souls and Bloodborne in terms of combat, so I can't say I agree with that answer either. This is without stepping out of RPGs and pointing out games like Bayonetta, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I take it that your list mentions RPGs only? Cause if you think The Witcher's combat is the worst combat than you havent played many games... and even RPG wise you can fair way worse than The Witcher 2/3 (Witcher 1 combat is really, really bad though, I giv'ya that)

Best: DMC 3/4

Worst: Maken Shao: Demon Sword or LotR: The Two Towers (PS2 games with atrocious combat)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 indzman

@charizard1605 said:

Man, you gotta play more games if you think The Witcher has the worst combat lol. I mean, it's nothing to write home about, but it is far from 'worst' territory. Shit, games like Planescape have worse combat than Witcher any day. Elder Scrolls and pre-F4 Fallout as well. Then there's Assassin's Creed, Vampire Masquerade, and so on.

Anyway, Nioh far outdoes Souls and Bloodborne in terms of combat, so I can't say I agree with that answer either. This is without stepping out of RPGs and pointing out games like Bayonetta, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden.

Haven't played Planescape but i personally prefer Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, VTMB and Fallout Combat over Witchers anyday lol.

Not a fan of Bayonetta combat, but Devil May Cry or God of War or Ninja Gaiden combat certainly TOP TIER combat. Yet to play Nioh tho :)

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

worst combat the final fantasy series

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56082 Posts

Best Combat: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt & Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Worst Combat: Tales of Beseria & Skyrim.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Well? What type of games are you talking about? As a whole, or just straight up role playing games? Why do the games you mention feature the best and the worst combat?

@indzman said:
@charizard1605 said:

Man, you gotta play more games if you think The Witcher has the worst combat lol. I mean, it's nothing to write home about, but it is far from 'worst' territory. Shit, games like Planescape have worse combat than Witcher any day. Elder Scrolls and pre-F4 Fallout as well. Then there's Assassin's Creed, Vampire Masquerade, and so on.

Haven't played Planescape but i personally prefer Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, VTMB and Fallout Combat over Witchers anyday lol.

Not a fan of Bayonetta combat, but Devil May Cry or God of War or Ninja Gaiden combat certainly TOP TIER combat. Yet to play Nioh tho :)

No way, haha. I love Vampire TM -Bloodlines, but its "combat" is pure jank.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 indzman

@Lucianu said:

Well? What type of games are you talking about? As a whole, or just straight up role playing games? Why do the games you mention feature the best and the worst combat?

@indzman said:
@charizard1605 said:

As a whole :)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I'm thinking mainly Action games here.

Best game play is Souls style combat (Souls games/Nioh).

Worst game play is Uncharted and the like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@indzman said:
@Lucianu said:

@indzman said:
@charizard1605 said:

But you said in the post he quoted you prefer its combat over Witcher's combat lol

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman

@charizard1605 said:
@indzman said:
@Lucianu said:

@indzman said:
@charizard1605 said:

But you said in the post he quoted you prefer its combat over Witcher's combat lol

Yeah. He says VTMB combat is junk, i personally prefer it over The The Wicher :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58920 Posts

That's quite a vague qeastion my friend.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Best - DMC4, NG2, Bayo 1, and a slew of great fighting games.

Worst - Who fucking knows, but Bad Street Brawler NES is the first that comes to mind.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Strictly speaking of the combat mechanics, the best i'd say are:

Bayonetta

Ninja Gaiden Black

Devil May Cry 4

And i just added God Hand to my collection, which i've never played before, tho i heard that apparently it's insanely hard and features some of the best combat ever designed in a video game, so i may give that a go tonight.

@indzman said:

Yeah. He says VTMB combat is junk, i personally prefer it over The The Wicher :)

Ok, i can respect that.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

So, what I surmise from the OP's post is he has played a total of 3 RPG games. Cool.

@indzman: You should probably play more games. You should start with Mars: War logs, The Technomancer, Skyrim, TESO, Dragon Age games, Fable, Kingdoms of Amalur, Risen 3 or any of the others, etc.

Then come back and answer the question honestly.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Best: Smackdown Here Comes The Pain, Batman Arkham, God of War

Worst: Zelda(all of them)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Magus.

Play that shit. And then start talking about the worst combat in video games.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 indzman

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

So, what I surmise from the OP's post is he has played a total of 3 RPG games. Cool.

@indzman: You should probably play more games. You should start with Mars: War logs, The Technomancer, Skyrim, TESO, Dragon Age games, Fable, Kingdoms of Amalur, Risen 3 or any of the others, etc.

Then come back and answer the question honestly.

Played. Better than The Witcher combat ... imo :)

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Red Steel 2. Shooting and sword play.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#21  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

Witcher combat is pretty bad. Especially Witcher 1. CLICK CLICK ... CLICK. Oh boy.

Best combat - Air Combat for ps1. Great combat right there.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Best Combat= Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta

Worst Combat= Any turn based JRPG, the most coma inducing in the industry.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Man, you gotta play more games if you think The Witcher has the worst combat lol. I mean, it's nothing to write home about, but it is far from 'worst' territory. Shit, games like Planescape have worse combat than Witcher any day. Elder Scrolls and pre-F4 Fallout as well. Then there's Assassin's Creed, Vampire Masquerade, and so on. And those aren't 'worst' either, just pointing out how your answer seems a bit ridiculous lol.

What a dumb post...comparing more traditional style non action cRPGs like the old FO games and PST to action RPGs, combat wise. Apples & oranges there.

Better off comparing these action RPGs to actual action games, as the combat is much more along the same lines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Best: Souls Series or any souls type games, God of war, Prince of Persia : WW and Two Thrones, Chrono Trigger, Most DMC games etc

Personally Liked: Witcher 1(Unpopular opinion), Tyranny, BioShock Infinite, Shadow Warrior, Fallout 1, Darksiders series, Xmen Origins Wolverine etc

Worst: Dragon Age Origins, Planescape Torment, Any top down ARPGs, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy 7, Shadow of the colossus(Still one of my favorite games), Bioshock, Dark Sector, Gears Of War etc

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By indzman

@Gamerno6666 said:

Best: Souls Series or any souls type games, God of war, Prince of Persia : WW and Two Thrones, Chrono Trigger, Most DMC games etc

Personally Liked: Witcher 1(Unpopular opinion), Tyranny, BioShock Infinite, Shadow Warrior, Fallout 1, Darksiders series, Xmen Origins Wolverine etc

Worst: Dragon Age Origins, Planescape Torment, Any top down ARPGs, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy 7, Shadow of the colossus(Still one of my favorite games), Bioshock, Dark Sector, Gears Of War etc

Hold it right there,

You enjoyed Infinite Combat, but you disliked Bioshock Combat? :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts

Best combat:

- Ninja Gaiden Black

- Devil May Cry 3

- Bayonetta 1 and 2

Worst combat:

- Final Fantasy XIII

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@indzman said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

Hold it right there,

Yup. I wasn't invested in infinite's combat at first but the more I played it, the more it grew on me. As for the original Bioshock, I didn't enjoy the combat at all. I was just playing for the story.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 indzman

@Gamerno6666 said:
@indzman said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

Hold it right there,

Yup. I wasn't invested in infinite's combat at first but the more I played it, the more it grew on me. As for the original Bioshock, I didn't enjoy the combat at all. I was just playing for the story.

Ahhh!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24919 Posts

Best: FEAR, Doom 2016

Worst: Witcher 3, Assassins creed, Batman

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indzman

@ghosts4ever said:

Warent you prasing a new Assassins Creed gameplay lately on SW?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24919 Posts

@indzman said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Warent you prasing a new Assassins Creed gameplay lately on SW?

no. i was just calling origins to have different combat. otherwise AC combat is one button combat. same as Batman.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

Best:

Frankly I love a game like Rising Storm 2 Vietnam that does its best to simulate how a gun would act and how a bullet would fly.

One bullet to the head or heart can be the end of a man (yeah, no game logic just real logic)

Other injuries can be taken care of.

You shot at someone but he was quick enough to hide behind a wall ? Well maybe he is still hiding over there and if you got the right type of bullet and gun (say an assault rifle) there is a high chance you can hit him through a wall.

Some very clever game design and combat design. Leads to terrifying, but at the same time enjoyable experiences.

Worst:

I don't like turn based combat one bit. There is only one exception to that and that was Paper Mario, and honestly I played that game for it's wit and charm, not the combat system.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

As I get older, I appreciate turn-based combat more and more. If I'm playing an RPG or really any game with a stats-based leveling system, I prefer turn-based to action, simply because playing a gimped action game (which is pretty much what most action rpgs are before you get leveled up) isn't much fun. I do still love straight-up action games, though. I'd say:

Best real-time: Ninja Gaiden Black

Best turn-based: XCOM (only played new XCOM, old is too old for me to get into, but it seems better on paper)

Worst real-time: Kingdom Hearts

Worst turn-based: FF13

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@indzman said:

BEST COMBAT-Souls, Bloodborne

WORST COMBAT-The Witcher Trilogy

Well?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Best Combat: Pandora's Tower

Worst Combat: The Last of Us

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Best turn-based: XCOM (only played new XCOM, old is too old for me to get into, but it seems better on paper)

Play Jagged Alliance 2 (and the 1.13 mod for it) It's even better than the old X-Com. (which is better than the new one, btw) Not a fan at all of the removal of time units in the new one.

Some other TB games with really good combat are.... Temple of Elemental Evil, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and Knights of the Chalice.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@bussinrounds said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Play Jagged Alliance 2 (and the 1.13 mod for it) It's even better than the old X-Com. (which is better than the new one, btw) Not a fan at all of the removal of time units in the new one.

Some other TB games with really good combat are.... Temple of Elemental Evil, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and Knights of the Chalice.

Absolute gem.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

has the

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Best:

Action: Devil May Cry 4
Tactical: Jagged Alliance 2

Worst:

Action: Monster Hunter
Tactical: Dragon Age: Origins

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Depends on the genre.

Best Action: DMC series

Worst Action: Can't think of one off hand.

Best RPG: Neverwinter Nights (Not the MMO)

Worst RPG: Older Final Fantasy only because I didn't like the way they did turn based combat.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Best: DMC / Bloodborne

Worst: Xenoblade

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I always liked Mount&Blade combat.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Best - Ninja Gaiden 2 and DMC3 for hack and slash , Doom 2016 for FPS

I really hate the FF12/ Kotor/ MMO style of combat. I think it's a shitty hybrid of turn based and real time and should die.

IDK about worst, but Halo's combat has always felt pretty underwhelming to me.

RPGFanatic619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By RPGFanatic619
Member since 2017 • 13 Posts

Best Turn Based : Persona 3-5, XCOM, Fire Emblem, Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Paper Mario.

Worst Turn Based: Final Fantasy series, Bravely Default(gradually sucked)

Best Real Time: Bayonetta, Souls, The Witcher, Wind Waker,

Worst Real Time: Resident Evil 4(Still a great game thou), Fallout 3, Gears of War, Uncharted

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Best: Devil May Cry 4

Worst: idk

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts
@Gamerno6666 said:

Personally Liked: Witcher 1(Unpopular opinion)

I actually liked it as well. Probably my favorite part of the game. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of it more than the sequels..

@Maroxad said:

Worst:

Action: Monster Hunter

How so? I found the combat to be a fun variation of lots of combos and specials to learn, and knowing when to do them and when to dodge and stuff, studying the movements and attacks of monsters.. I admit that there's a "sluggishness" you have to get used to, though.

Not sure what I'd list myself, but I want to mention Wind Waker and DOOM (that goes for DOOM1&2 as well, seriously, that gameplay from the past man).

I haven't played Ninja Gaiden, DMC and Bayo didn't click with me. Hence me not listing those..

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#47 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Best - Street Figher series

Worst - The Elder Scrolls series

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

no. i was just calling origins to have different combat. otherwise AC combat is one button combat. same as Batman.

And the same as Doom. You press one button to shoot. Casual crap.

Anyway, Mario games have the worst combat.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Two games that come to mind that had horrible combat were Enslaved and Deadly Premonition... but what they both have on common is that I loved both for their stories.

Two games with exceptional combat I love is both Gears 4 and Halo 5, really solid combat mechanics and theirthe Horde and Firefight modes keep me constantly engaged with them.

Max Payne 3 was a really solid and satisfying TPS that few others can live up to, most people seem to hate it though seemingly for no other reason than just to let people know how old school they are that they can't like a game with health regeneration and cover mechanics.

I also really loved the combat mechanics in the Dead space series, and I enjoyed each of them, even the third.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Morrowind has awful combat.