Which FPS has the most well designed max difficulty setting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I want to play an FPS at max difficulty but I don't want to play some annoying cheap shit like COD: World at War where the game just endlessly spams grenades.

Which FPS game has the most well designed maximum difficulty setting?

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@GreySeal9: Metro last light has a decent Hardcore setting

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Western developers', basically 99% of FPS developers, idea of increasing difficulty often boils down to increasing enemy damage and hit points while decreasing the player's instead of any meaningful difficulty change. One of the more egregious examples I've seen of this lately is Wolfenstein The New Order, which can be straight up bullshit at times.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

probably Stalker games. The A.I at hardest difficulty is damn amazing as long as it doesnt bug out ( Stalker complete mods help alot in that aspect )

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

FEAR has a very interesting hard mode, especially if you drop slow motion, Wolfenstein: The New Order too (both games I'm actually talking about in another topic). I'd also mention No One Lives Forever 2, which is the best of these three.

Also, if you want to go old-school you might want to check the original Unreal, which has a different take on FPS combat than most modern games.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Halo on Legendary usually felt fair yet difficult. Halo 2 not so much.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Halo legendary is very good. Always fair.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Halo Legendary + all skulls on

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@GreySeal9: I don't play that many but purely for SP, in terms of "linear shooter", Killzone 2 had some cool AI. Not amazingly hard, but they made me work for different cover spots everytime which I liked ( I couldn't just stick to one spot and slowly kill them all).

In terms of a more co-op experience (also in the "linear shooter" sense) Resistance 3 on the highest diffilcuty was pretty fun. You and your buddy would have to manage your resources and focus on different spots of the battlefied most of the time. Really fun co-op game IMO.

As for other kind of shooters, I don't play that many. I play more TPS games than FPS ones.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Unreal Tournament.

Godlike bots will dodge your shots and hit you like nobody else.

And that's nromal mode. Don't even think about playing Instagib

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

I thought Halo was always decent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

Halo Legendary + all skulls on

That's insane

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts
@Wasdie said:

Halo on Legendary usually felt fair yet difficult. Halo 2 not so much.

Loading Video...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6: Looks about right.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I think Timesplitters 2 has the best difficulty settings. Each difficulty setting changes the levels and objectives.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Difficulty level is not something I believe in. I hate the idea that there's an "ideal" experience and other difficulty levels are "lesser." I would do away with difficulty level if I were a dev. If people found it too hard, get over it. Probably why I'm not a dev, LOL!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Like others have said, the Halo games... well, mostly when you're playing with friends. Of them all I actually found ODST to be the most enjoyable to play on Legendary solo. It encourages more weapon swapping for the various situations, careful playing, avoiding confrontations in open streets or when air patrols can drop reinforcements.

@Blabadon: well put, except that's a problem that extends well beyond both FPSs and Western games

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@gameofthering said:

I think Timesplitters 2 has the best difficulty settings. Each difficulty setting changes the levels and objectives.

Just like the games it was rooted from.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

GoldenEye did it really well because they increased the difficulty by adding more mission objectives. Very unique take on that. It's in the remake, too.

Halo was usually pretty good about it, Halo 2's bullshit aside.

DOOM did it well because DOOM. Ditto for DOOM II. The early Unreal games were good.

TimeSplitters, too, as others have said.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

Halo was usually pretty good about it, Halo 2's bullshit aside.

Get the **** out of here.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Halo and Perfect Dark.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Destiny

Play Vault of Glass Hard Mode as a level 28, you'll be playing that raid for an entire day and still wouldnt be able to beat it

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224

@finalstar2007 said:

Destiny

Play Vault of Glass Hard Mode as a level 28, you'll be playing that raid for an entire day and still wouldnt be able to beat it

EL OH FUCKING EL

Destiny has shit Difficulty settings. Oh look, now the bullet sponge enemies become spongier

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

A lot of pre-Half-Life games did FPS difficulty the best, because the game design was different. Like on a harder difficulty in Doom, the keys are in a different area, and the ammo/health spawn points are changed. Never really played Doom on the hardest difficulty because of that lol.

Halo: CE on Legendary is the fairest of the post-Half Life school of design. It was semi-sandboxy enough to try different tactics against more aggressive enemies with bigger health bars.

@finalstar2007 said:

Destiny

That's MMO "difficulty" kicking in, not FPS difficulty.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

i never play at max difficulty, does that count? and the last FPS i truly enjoyed is battlefield 3.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jg4xchamp

@FrozenLiquid said:

A lot of pre-Half-Life games did FPS difficulty the best, because the game design was different. Like on a harder difficulty in Doom, the keys are in a different area, and the ammo/health spawn points are changed. Never really played Doom on the hardest difficulty because of that lol.

Halo: CE on Legendary is the fairest of the post-Half Life school of design. It was semi-sandboxy enough to try different tactics against more aggressive enemies with bigger health bars.

This is a fairer statement, dumb warthog support AI aside, the "halo sandbox" wasn't as bloated with completely worthless shit like the sequels are. The assault rifle stays practical and useful, even if the Pistol is godly, making it somewhat viable and reasonable, without compromising what you want Halo to feel like on Legendary.

Halo 2, 3, 4, Reach, and ODST? everything about Legendary highlights the many ways those games are so thoroughly lousy.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

Halo 2, 3, 4, Reach, and ODST? everything about Legendary highlights the many ways champ is so thoroughly lousy.

fixed

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Halo 2, 3, 4, Reach, and ODST? everything about Legendary highlights the many ways champ is so thoroughly lousy.

fixed

I beat them just fine, and last time we played Halo, you and stevo were having your faces taken off pretty consistently. Remind me again who was taking your faces off?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

fixed

I beat them just fine, and last time we played Halo, you and stevo were having your faces taken off pretty consistently. Remind me again who was taking your faces off?

Yea, playing the broken chief collection. Congrats, you did not completely shitty in a broken game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yea, playing the broken chief collection. Congrats, you did not completely shitty in a broken game.

The broken aspects of said game were all network related issues and matchmaking drawbacks, the actual playing it part however worked flawlessly, especially in custom games.

It's okay they, I'm sure your next excuse might have some merit.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FrozenLiquid

@jg4xchamp said:
@FrozenLiquid said:

This is a fairer statement, dumb warthog support AI aside, the "halo sandbox" wasn't as bloated with completely worthless shit like the sequels are. The assault rifle stays practical and useful, even if the Pistol is godly, making it somewhat viable and reasonable, without compromising what you want Halo to feel like on Legendary.

Halo 2, 3, 4, Reach, and ODST? everything about Legendary highlights the many ways those games are so thoroughly lousy.

I think everything after Halo 2 was balanced around Heroic, because Normal was mud and Legendary was cheap. I also think Halo: Reach was one of my favourites in the series because it all clicked on Heroic. Never much liked Legendary for the insinuated reasons. It's like trying to beat Master Ninja, except beating Master Ninja actually has street cred.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

@FrozenLiquid said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@FrozenLiquid said:

I think everything after Halo 2 was balanced around Heroic, because Normal was mud and Legendary was cheap. I also think Halo: Reach was one of my favourites in the series because it all clicked on Heroic. Never much liked Legendary for the insinuated reasons. It's like trying to beat Master Ninja, except beating Master Ninja actually has street cred.

That and the game makes an actual effort to make the difficulties interesting. Japanese action game design is built around your Doom descriptions. Enemy patterns change, the enemy types change, they get new additional quirks up their sleeve, etc. Rarely do you have them taking something away from the player, and I would argue in the case of Bayonetta when they take witch time away from you it's saying "Bitch you're plenty OP with this character, and this game is about not getting hit, you'll be fine without slow mo, you had plenty of time to learn the game"

Master Ninja on Ninja Gaiden 2 would be glorious too...if Itagaki finished the game.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FrozenLiquid

@jg4xchamp said:
@FrozenLiquid said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@FrozenLiquid said:

That and the game makes an actual effort to make the difficulties interesting. Japanese action game design is built around your Doom descriptions. Enemy patterns change, the enemy types change, they get new additional quirks up their sleeve, etc. Rarely do you have them taking something away from the player, and I would argue in the case of Bayonetta when they take witch time away from you it's saying "Bitch you're plenty OP with this character, and this game is about not getting hit, you'll be fine without slow mo, you had plenty of time to learn the game"

Master Ninja on Ninja Gaiden 2 would be glorious too...if Itagaki finished the game.

Every time we talk shooters and action games I feel guilty not playing RE4. Now Bayo 2 which is sitting next to the TV. lol.

I didn't get past the third level in Master Ninja. I shall return once it's supported on Xbone.

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Western developers', basically 99% of FPS developers, idea of increasing difficulty often boils down to increasing enemy damage and hit points while decreasing the player's instead of any meaningful difficulty change. One of the more egregious examples I've seen of this lately is Wolfenstein The New Order, which can be straight up bullshit at times.

I platinum'd that bitch.. it was easy compared to COD 4: Modern Warfare on Veteran.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp

@FrozenLiquid said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Every time we talk shooters and action games I feel guilty not playing RE4. Now Bayo 2 which is sitting next to the TV. lol.

I didn't get past the third level in Master Ninja. I shall return once it's supported on Xbone.

Memory serves you dug the original Bayonetta, in spite of never being a DMC cat, so Bayonetta 2 is more of that. Some smart tweaks here and there. Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime/Super Metroid are the ones you really need to get done, due to their greatness.

Chapter 2 and Chapter 11 are the hardest on MN, everything else is relatively more doable. I say relative....the worst part about Master Ninja is that dinky ass health bar they give you in the early going when you want to be mad jew with the thousand gods shits to extend your health bar. The struggle is fierce.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FrozenLiquid

@jg4xchamp said:
@FrozenLiquid said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Memory serves you dug the original Bayonetta, in spite of never being a DMC cat, so Bayonetta 2 is more of that. Some smart tweaks here and there. Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime/Super Metroid are the ones you really need to get done, due to their greatness.

Chapter 2 and Chapter 11 are the hardest on MN, everything else is relatively more doable. I say relative....the worst part about Master Ninja is that dinky ass health bar they give you in the early going when you want to be mad jew with the thousand gods shits to extend your health bar. The struggle is fierce.

Could've been level 2 then, not level 3 on NG2. Gassing myself up here lol.

RE4 was on Steam sale and I was like.... my backlog doe lol. But finishing RE5 and RE6 counts, right? :P

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

Killzone 2. The enemies got smarter but not turned into bullet sponges. Halo CE was excellent on legendary

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp

@FrozenLiquid said:

RE4 was on Steam sale and I was like.... my backlog doe lol. But finishing RE5 and RE6 counts, right? :P

You finished RE6? that game is a train wreck. I still need to actually get back to it, but Aljosa is my broop mate for that and he's all **** that lol.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FrozenLiquid

@jg4xchamp said:
@FrozenLiquid said:

You finished RE6? that game is a train wreck. I still need to actually get back to it, but Aljosa is my broop mate for that and he's all **** that lol.

I bro-oped RE5 with the sis and did it again for RE6. It was definitely a major drop in quality. It felt like no fucks were given in the making of that turd.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Quake.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Metro games

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Halo CE.

I never had as much fun as playing Halo CE in legendary (both solo and coop).

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Operation Flashpoint.

Even the latest games which were somewhat panned by critics and fans alike, I felt got the difficulty and balance right.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@dvalo9 said:

Killzone 2. The enemies got smarter but not turned into bullet sponges. Halo CE was excellent on legendary

KZ2 had plenty of bullet sponges.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I remember loving the higher difficulties of Goldeneye64 but I can't remember what they did...

Didn't they add objectives?