Which FPS games you consider are miles better than Half Life series?

  • 122 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Very Tough question i asked. I'll try on personal opinion, Hmmm. Resistance Trilogy, Golden Eye Reloaded, Battlefield Bad Company 2 ( Only for realistic Physics Destruction of Environments, Not a campaign fan), Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical), Bioshock 1, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Farcry Instincts.

Well?

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

None of them. because valve set bar so high when it comes to FPS games. the closest would be Stalker SoC, Doom 2016, System shock 2 and Deus Ex 1 (and they are not even pure FPS games).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

6278

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Miles better? None.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

2814

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

My favorite FPS games and really the only ones that I have ever really loved are GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, and the Timesplitters games.

Avatar image for babyjoker1221
babyjoker1221

1313

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

Most fps these days puts the HL games to shame.

HL is severely overrated imo. I'm not sure if it's because of Valve, or maybe because it was pc exclusive. For whatever reason... People have talked HL up into something it's not. I've heard people talk about how great HL is, and they've never even played it.

It was pretty good for it's time, but certainly nothing to write home about.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@indzman said:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical),

thats hardly a tactical shooter. they are more of arcade shooter with cover system.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46204 Posts

From the last gens or so:

  • Bioshock 1 & 2
  • Wolfenstein TNO & TOB
  • Prey
  • Alien: Isolation (not really FPS, but meh)
  • Black Mesa !!!!!!!!!!
Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

23896

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23896 Posts

Well, Miles better? Dont think any are.

But I can think of a lot of FPS that are better than Half Life 2. As for Half Life 1, it is one of the best FPS... no, games ever made.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

From the last gens or so:

  • Bioshock 1 & 2
  • Wolfenstein TNO & TOB
  • Prey
  • Alien: Isolation (not really FPS, but meh)
  • Black Mesa !!!!!!!!!!

black mesa is not complete yet. its still in early access. and its more of remaster than remake. System shock is proper remake.

Half life 1 proper remake with modern graphics would be much better. source engine is too outdated.

if we are talking about recent games this gen or last gen

in last gen best FPS were Stalker, Crysis and Metro and this gen Doom and Prey and soon to be System shock and Metro Exodus.

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical),

thats hardly a tactical shooter. they are more of arcade shooter with cover system.

It falls under Tactical shooter Genre

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=best+tactical+shooters&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y6XtWfvwAtCL8QeZ16aYCQ

But yeah, its not so Hardcore as SWAT or previous Rainbow Six Games. Its very enjoyable shooter nonetheless :)

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@indzman said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical),

thats hardly a tactical shooter. they are more of arcade shooter with cover system.

It falls under Tactical shooter Genre

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=best+tactical+shooters&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y6XtWfvwAtCL8QeZ16aYCQ

But yeah, its not so Hardcore as SWAT or previous Rainbow Six Games. Its very enjoyable shooter nonetheless :)

its market as tactical shooter but its not. thats like calling gears of war or spec ops the line tactical shooter because they are all cover based shooters. there is nothing tactical about rainbow six vegas.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46204 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

black mesa is not complete yet. its still in early access. and its more of remaster than remake.System shock is proper remake.

Half life 1 proper remake with modern graphics would be much better. source engine is too outdated.

if we are talking about recent games this gen or last gen

in last gen best FPS were Stalker, Crysis and Metro and this gen Doom and Prey and soon to be System shock and Metro Exodus.

Where do you get these definitions ?

What makes it more remaster than remake ? Basically anything has been remade from the ground up.

Also, metro is linear and scripted, so according to Ghosts it sucks ?

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

black mesa is not complete yet. its still in early access. and its more of remaster than remake.System shock is proper remake.

Half life 1 proper remake with modern graphics would be much better. source engine is too outdated.

if we are talking about recent games this gen or last gen

in last gen best FPS were Stalker, Crysis and Metro and this gen Doom and Prey and soon to be System shock and Metro Exodus.

Where do you get these definitions ?

What makes it more remaster than remake ? Basically anything has been remade from the ground up.

Also, metro is linear and scripted, so according to Ghosts it sucks ?

because it doesnt looks much better.

half life 1 remake should look like modern graphics but remain to have same level deisng and gameplay with some changes.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

17799

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

None. Metro Last Light is the closest a game has come to capturing the magic of the Half-Life games.

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical),

thats hardly a tactical shooter. they are more of arcade shooter with cover system.

It falls under Tactical shooter Genre

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=best+tactical+shooters&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y6XtWfvwAtCL8QeZ16aYCQ

But yeah, its not so Hardcore as SWAT or previous Rainbow Six Games. Its very enjoyable shooter nonetheless :)

its market as tactical shooter but its not. thats like calling gears of war or spec ops the line tactical shooter because they are all cover based shooters. there is nothing tactical about rainbow six vegas.

You even played Vegas games lol? You don't know the meaning of tactical Shooters lol.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#16 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@indzman said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical),

thats hardly a tactical shooter. they are more of arcade shooter with cover system.

It falls under Tactical shooter Genre

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=best+tactical+shooters&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y6XtWfvwAtCL8QeZ16aYCQ

But yeah, its not so Hardcore as SWAT or previous Rainbow Six Games. Its very enjoyable shooter nonetheless :)

its market as tactical shooter but its not. thats like calling gears of war or spec ops the line tactical shooter because they are all cover based shooters. there is nothing tactical about rainbow six vegas.

You even played Vegas games lol? You don't know the meaning of tactical Shooters lol.

i know. I loved rainbow six raven shield and vegas was arcade game. just because you give commands to 2 teammates doesnot make it tactical.

Avatar image for ArchoNils2
ArchoNils2

10534

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

No FPS franchise is "miles better", only a troll would suggest that. However, I did enjoy the Time Splitters game more, especially thanks to the fun local multiplayer rounds I had with it.

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:

It falls under Tactical shooter Genre

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=best+tactical+shooters&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y6XtWfvwAtCL8QeZ16aYCQ

But yeah, its not so Hardcore as SWAT or previous Rainbow Six Games. Its very enjoyable shooter nonetheless :)

its market as tactical shooter but its not. thats like calling gears of war or spec ops the line tactical shooter because they are all cover based shooters. there is nothing tactical about rainbow six vegas.

You even played Vegas games lol? You don't know the meaning of tactical Shooters lol.

i know. I loved rainbow six raven shield and vegas was arcade game. just because you give commands to 2 teammates doesnot make it tactical.

Commands, Planning, Cover, Caution, Gadgets everything is there in Vegas as in rest Tactical shooters.

A tactical shooter is a subgenre of shooter game that includes both first-person shooting and third-person shooting. These games simulate realistic combat, thus making tactics and caution more important than quick reflexes in other action games.

Rainbow six Vegas Have all these, what are on you about ? lol.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#20 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@bowtothepc said:

All the games you listed in the OP are shit compared to either Half-Life game. As on topic, none. There are no better FPS than Half-Life series. There may be some that great and comes close like FEAR, Crysis, Prey, System Shock etc and that's that.

he mention last gen dumbed down shooters. and they were just terrible games compare to real PC shooters.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#21 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@BassMan said:

None. Metro Last Light is the closest a game has come to capturing the magic of the Half-Life games.

now I agree. Metro is more of half life than call of duty.

cant wait for third game. it will have some stalker elements too.

@ArchoNils2 said:

No FPS franchise is "miles better", only a troll would suggest that. However, I did enjoy the Time Splitters game more, especially thanks to the fun local multiplayer rounds I had with it.

actually Doom is a franchise that is almost as good. the franchise never had bad game. not even Doom 3.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#23 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46204 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

because it doesnt looks much better.

half life 1 remake should look like modern graphics but remain to have same level deisng and gameplay with some changes.

Yeah man this doesn't look much better than the original half life:

Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O

What the FUUUUUUUUUUCK are you smoking ?

Stop it man, it's making your brain all messed up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

5970

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#24 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Halo

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

24899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#25 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24899 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

because it doesnt looks much better.

half life 1 remake should look like modern graphics but remain to have same level deisng and gameplay with some changes.

Yeah man this doesn't look much better than the original half life:

Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O

What the FUUUUUUUUUUCK are you smoking ?

Stop it man, it's making your brain all messed up.

I mean it looks good for 2007 standard but not for toady standard. and game is not even complete. its using half life 2 engine and looks alot like half life.

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

because it doesnt looks much better.

half life 1 remake should look like modern graphics but remain to have same level deisng and gameplay with some changes.

Yeah man this doesn't look much better than the original half life:

Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O
Black Mesa or Half Life ? Can you tell the difference ? :O

What the FUUUUUUUUUUCK are you smoking ?

Stop it man, it's making your brain all messed up.

Haven't played Black Mesa Yet, looks fvcking awesome man. Is it complete or still in development phase (Beta)? If its complete i'll buy it this week :)

Avatar image for babyjoker1221
babyjoker1221

1313

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#27 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Halo

While true, you're going to catch hell from the pc guys here.

Get yo flame shields up.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

17799

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

@indzman said:

Very Tough question i asked. I'll try on personal opinion, Hmmm. Resistance Trilogy, Golden Eye Reloaded, Battlefield Bad Company 2 ( Only for realistic Physics Destruction of Environments, Not a campaign fan), Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical), Bioshock 1, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Farcry Instincts.

Well?

You have some strange games on your list. The only ones worth mentioning there are Resistance 3 and Bioshock. Neither is better than the Half-Life series.

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
Pcmasterrace69

373

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#29 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

Gears of war 4 is my favite fps

halo 5 played at a friends house and loved it

personal opinions

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#30 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@BassMan said:
@indzman said:

Very Tough question i asked. I'll try on personal opinion, Hmmm. Resistance Trilogy, Golden Eye Reloaded, Battlefield Bad Company 2 ( Only for realistic Physics Destruction of Environments, Not a campaign fan), Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (Tactical), Bioshock 1, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Farcry Instincts.

Well?

You have some strange games on your list. The only ones worth mentioning there are Resistance 3 and Bioshock. Neither is better than the Half-Life series.

Yeah man, enjoyed these very much lol.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

34573

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34573 Posts

None. Plenty are great but none are "miles better" than HL.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
MirkoS77

17657

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#32 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Halo CE.

No other FPS has conveyed such satisfying gun feedback to me than Combat Evolved has, and just to clarify, I don’t include any of the sequels in this. Only CE. It’s a masterclass in enjoyable gunplay which is what defines FPSes.

I thought HL2 was a great game, aside the shooting. The enemies felt like cardboard cutouts in their response to fire, which made the guns consequently feel like peashooters. Weak AI didn’t help. The first game was better in these respects but still fell short of CE.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

34573

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34573 Posts

@pcmasterrace69 said:

Gears of war 4 is my favite fps

You should look up what an FPS is, then try again.

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#34 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Litchie said:
@pcmasterrace69 said:

Gears of war 4 is my favite fps

You should look up what an FPS is, then try again.

lol.

Avatar image for ArchoNils2
ArchoNils2

10534

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#35 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@BassMan said:

None. Metro Last Light is the closest a game has come to capturing the magic of the Half-Life games.

now I agree. Metro is more of half life than call of duty.

cant wait for third game. it will have some stalker elements too.

@ArchoNils2 said:

No FPS franchise is "miles better", only a troll would suggest that. However, I did enjoy the Time Splitters game more, especially thanks to the fun local multiplayer rounds I had with it.

actually Doom is a franchise that is almost as good. the franchise never had bad game. not even Doom 3.

I'm not saying you can't argue about a franchise being better. But you won't find one that's objectively MILES better.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#36 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46204 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

I mean it looks good for 2007 standard but not for toady standard. and game is not even complete. its using half life 2 engine and looks alot like half life.

It's not.

You are just so wrong all the time it's just too easy and boring to prove you wrong.

@indzman said:

Haven't played Black Mesa Yet, looks fvcking awesome man. Is it complete or still in development phase (Beta)? If its complete i'll buy it this week :)

It does look amazing ^^

It's probably one of the best looking souce games, not counting Titanfall :)

I bought it in the last sale for 8 euro and it's definitely worth it, but I would recommend getting it the next time it's on sale, as the game will be complete in December (it's currently lacking the Xen levels)

These are some work in progress shots from them:

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

56045

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56045 Posts

Crysis

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#38 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I mean it looks good for 2007 standard but not for toady standard. and game is not even complete. its using half life 2 engine and looks alot like half life.

It's not.

You are just so wrong all the time it's just too easy and boring to prove you wrong.

@indzman said:

Haven't played Black Mesa Yet, looks fvcking awesome man. Is it complete or still in development phase (Beta)? If its complete i'll buy it this week :)

It does look amazing ^^

It's probably one of the best looking souce games, not counting Titanfall :)

I bought it in the last sale for 8 euro and it's definitely worth it, but I would recommend getting it the next time it's on sale, as the game will be complete in December (it's currently lacking the Xen levels)

These are some work in progress shots from them:

Thats great man. I will wait for december sale as its not far away and it will be complete as well :)

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

44033

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Halos by light-years of course. Sheeesh, everyone knows this. :P

Avatar image for sailor232
sailor232

6880

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#40  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Nothing, the closest are Metro (both games), Halo 1-3, Stalker, Fear 1.

Avatar image for pelvist
pelvist

9001

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#41 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

LOL @ RSV. My god those games were so disappointing for me as a fan of the original R6 games.

Avatar image for spike6958
spike6958

6701

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#42 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

If you're willing to count it as an FPS (I know some don't for whatever reason), Metroid Prime is above and beyond any other FPS.

Echos and Corruption don't hold up quite as well IMO, though both are good, but Prime is a masterpiece, pure and simple, no other FPS comes close.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

34573

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#43 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34573 Posts

@spike6958 said:

If you're willing to count it as an FPS (I know some don't for whatever reason), Metroid Prime is above and beyond any other FPS.

Echos and Corruption don't hold up quite as well IMO, though both are good, but Prime is a masterpiece, pure and simple, no other FPS comes close.

Good one. Metroid Prime is definitely up there with Half-Life. Maybe even better.

Avatar image for AzatiS
AzatiS

14969

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@babyjoker1221 said:

Most fps these days puts the HL games to shame.

HL is severely overrated imo. I'm not sure if it's because of Valve, or maybe because it was pc exclusive. For whatever reason... People have talked HL up into something it's not. I've heard people talk about how great HL is, and they've never even played it.

It was pretty good for it's time, but certainly nothing to write home about.

You can never understand the impact and the evolution HL series brought to the FPS genre if you havent played them when they first released and compare them with what was in the market at the time. It easy to judge a game after 10 years or 20 years but ... not fair dont you think ?

Its easy to say for example HL its overrated in 2017 but you wouldnt even think about that in 1998 when it first released. You would shit your pants more likely like we did ( whoever played that when supposed to and not after 20 years ).

Hell i would play HL right now despite being old than most of todays FPS. Aside graphics ( which i know it matters but still ) has nothing to be jealous of from 90% of todays FPS.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

58861

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58861 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I thought HL2 was a great game, aside the shooting. The enemies felt like cardboard cutouts in their response to fire, which made the guns consequently feel like peashooters. Weak AI didn’t help. The first game was better in these respects but still fell short of CE.

Halflife 2 had good AI. Not sure where this myth originated but it's nonsense.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Even enemies presented as stupid do shit most other games wouldn't.

Loading Video...

Halflife 1's Ai essenailly automatically locked onto the player.

Loading Video...

Not to say it's bad, it's own AI is very good as well, especially taking into account this was 1998, nothing even close to it.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

58861

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58861 Posts
@AzatiS said:

You can never understand the impact and the evolution HL series brought to the FPS genre if you havent played them when they first released and compare them with what was in the market at the time. It easy to judge a game after 10 years or 20 years but ... not fair dont you think ?

Its easy to say for example HL its overrated in 2017 but you wouldnt even think about that in 1998 when it first released. You would shit your pants more likely like we did ( whoever played that when supposed to and not after 20 years ).

Hell i would play HL right now despite being old than most of todays FPS. Aside graphics ( which i know it matters but still ) has nothing to be jealous of from 90% of todays FPS.

You're not wrong, went through them about 6 months back (HL/OF/BS), even the weakest entry (Blue Shift) is more engaging than whatever dribble Activation or EA are producing.

Opposing Force (an expansion pack) no doubt more content than Battlefront 2 with ofc gameplay that doesn't involve walking in a line to the next overpriced cutscene.

Avatar image for AzatiS
AzatiS

14969

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#47 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@AzatiS said:

You can never understand the impact and the evolution HL series brought to the FPS genre if you havent played them when they first released and compare them with what was in the market at the time. It easy to judge a game after 10 years or 20 years but ... not fair dont you think ?

Its easy to say for example HL its overrated in 2017 but you wouldnt even think about that in 1998 when it first released. You would shit your pants more likely like we did ( whoever played that when supposed to and not after 20 years ).

Hell i would play HL right now despite being old than most of todays FPS. Aside graphics ( which i know it matters but still ) has nothing to be jealous of from 90% of todays FPS.

You're not wrong, went through them about 6 months back (HL/OF/BS), even the weakest entry (Blue Shift) is more engaging than whatever dribble Activation or EA are producing.

Opposing Force (an expansion pack) no doubt more content than Battlefront 2 with ofc gameplay that doesn't involve walking in a line to the next overpriced cutscene.

I agree more or less. The big question my friend is ... are we gonna see the damn Half Life 3 ever ? :(

Avatar image for indzman
indzman

27736

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#48  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@AzatiS said:

You can never understand the impact and the evolution HL series brought to the FPS genre if you havent played them when they first released and compare them with what was in the market at the time. It easy to judge a game after 10 years or 20 years but ... not fair dont you think ?

Its easy to say for example HL its overrated in 2017 but you wouldnt even think about that in 1998 when it first released. You would shit your pants more likely like we did ( whoever played that when supposed to and not after 20 years ).

Hell i would play HL right now despite being old than most of todays FPS. Aside graphics ( which i know it matters but still ) has nothing to be jealous of from 90% of todays FPS.

You're not wrong, went through them about 6 months back (HL/OF/BS), even the weakest entry (Blue Shift) is more engaging than whatever dribble Activation or EA are producing.

Opposing Force (an expansion pack) no doubt more content than Battlefront 2 with ofc gameplay that doesn't involve walking in a line to the next overpriced cutscene.

I agree more or less. The big question my friend is ... are we gonna see the damn Half Life 3 ever ? :(

Aye. In few more years. Not HL 3 , But Episode 3. Maybe another dev will develop it with Valve as Publishers.By then we may become like really old lol.Your son / daughter will play it heHe

Avatar image for AzatiS
AzatiS

14969

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#49 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@indzman said:
@AzatiS said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@AzatiS said:

You can never understand the impact and the evolution HL series brought to the FPS genre if you havent played them when they first released and compare them with what was in the market at the time. It easy to judge a game after 10 years or 20 years but ... not fair dont you think ?

Its easy to say for example HL its overrated in 2017 but you wouldnt even think about that in 1998 when it first released. You would shit your pants more likely like we did ( whoever played that when supposed to and not after 20 years ).

Hell i would play HL right now despite being old than most of todays FPS. Aside graphics ( which i know it matters but still ) has nothing to be jealous of from 90% of todays FPS.

You're not wrong, went through them about 6 months back (HL/OF/BS), even the weakest entry (Blue Shift) is more engaging than whatever dribble Activation or EA are producing.

Opposing Force (an expansion pack) no doubt more content than Battlefront 2 with ofc gameplay that doesn't involve walking in a line to the next overpriced cutscene.

I agree more or less. The big question my friend is ... are we gonna see the damn Half Life 3 ever ? :(

Aye. In few more years. Not HL 3 , But Episode 3. Maybe another dev will develop it with Valve as Publishers.By then we may become like really old lol.Your son / daughter will play it heHe

Haha, most likely.

Avatar image for jdc6305
jdc6305

5058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#50 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I never understood why people like Half Life. It was just another generic shooter in my books.