Which do you prefer (Doom vs Wolfenstien 2)

  • 71 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for jeezers
Posted by jeezers (2669 posts) 1 month, 20 days ago

Poll: Which do you prefer (Doom vs Wolfenstien 2) (45 votes)

Wolfenstien 2 31%
Doom 69%

2 of the biggest fps single player games on consoles this gen.

Both available on Xbox,PS4,PC, and switch

I'm just curious on the consensus. I just recemtly beat wolfenstien 2, loved it. I beat doom back when it launched. I love the fluid movement and momentum in doom, but wolfenstien 2 just looks really good, settings and guns look and feel great, duelwield feels good, story was good(and I dont usually care for story). I gotta say I give the edge to wolfenstien 2, I love doom but the levels blended together for me and the flashing execute mechanic got old pretty fast.

Avatar image for Xabiss
#1 Posted by Xabiss (2498 posts) -

Doom all the way!

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18698 posts) -

As much as I enjoyed Doom, have to go Wolf 2... I loved everything about it. Story, characters and gameplay was awesome.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
#3 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1406 posts) -

Didn't play WS2 for long, but my initial impressions are that it's pretty bad. Will probably not continue. Doom is fine.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#4 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

Doom easily. one is best FPS this gen, other is worst FPS this gen. not really a competition.

Avatar image for npiet1
#5 Posted by npiet1 (2094 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

As much as I enjoyed Doom, have to go Wolf 2... I loved everything about it. Story, characters and gameplay was awesome.

I'm the same. I really loved the party scene. My missus who's a non gamer watched me play it and loved the story line.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#6 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

As much as I enjoyed Doom, have to go Wolf 2... I loved everything about it. Story, characters and gameplay was awesome.

I'm the same. I really loved the party scene. My missus who's a non gamer watched me play it and loved the story line.

Doom has better story than wolf 2 if you pay attention. wolf 2 has too many long cutscenes but show terrible story. many people say Doom doesnot have good story but it does have good story and lore.

Avatar image for ajstyles
#7 Posted by AJStyles (737 posts) -

Wolfenstein>Doom>Wolfenstein 2.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18698 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Doom has a better story than Wolf 2? Lol. Just stop, Ghosts.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#9 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ghosts4ever: Doom has a better story than Wolf 2? Lol. Just stop, Ghosts.

Loading Video...

Compare this ending to wolfenstein 2.

one of the best cliffhanger ending in recent memory. cant wait to see what going to happen next.

Avatar image for npiet1
#10 Posted by npiet1 (2094 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@npiet1 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

As much as I enjoyed Doom, have to go Wolf 2... I loved everything about it. Story, characters and gameplay was awesome.

I'm the same. I really loved the party scene. My missus who's a non gamer watched me play it and loved the story line.

Doom has better story than wolf 2 if you pay attention. wolf 2 has too many long cutscenes but show terrible story. many people say Doom doesnot have good story but it does have good story and lore.

Doom does have a great story. I'm just not going to find every PDA to learn the story. It's to time consuming.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30722 posts) -

Doom is great, though a bit repetitive

Wolfenstein II has superior shooting so it wins imho.

Both run on a really good engine. Love ID tech 6!

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (32808 posts) -

MachineGames reboot is terrible. Pick up RTCW and pretend it never happened.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

MachineGames reboot is terrible. Pick up RTCW and pretend it never happened.

Doom is alright, I would put Doom 64 over it for it's better level design.

I remember how amazing RTCW was

Loading Video...

The movement, the shooting, the soundtracks, the level design, having nazis zombies and set in castle, little bit of cutescenes only before and after the end of mission, no forced romance/sex etc

machinegames reboots are disgusting.

Avatar image for Litchie
#14 Edited by Litchie (23718 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Doom is great, though a bit repetitive

Wolfenstein II has superior shooting so it wins imho.

Both run on a really good engine. Love ID tech 6!

Wut? Machine Games doing shooting better than id?

Haven't played it myself since it looks too cinematic for my taste.

DOOM 2016 was great, but earlier DOOMs were better. Not a fan of those arena lockdown events. I'm fine with some of those, but an arena lockdown on basically every enemy encounter? Bleh.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#15 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Doom is great, though a bit repetitive

Wolfenstein II has superior shooting so it wins imho.

Both run on a really good engine. Love ID tech 6!

Wut? Machine Games doing shooting better than id?

Haven't played it myself since it looks too cinematic for my taste.

you are not missing anything for not playing it. its among the worst FPS of all time. i never played FPS that are this bad.

after playing this. i consider even COD is a masterpiece compare to machinegames games.

Avatar image for vfighter
#16 Posted by VFighter (4804 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Worst fps ever, that's the biggest dipshit opinion I've heard in weeks lol.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#17 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@ghosts4ever: Worst fps ever, that's the biggest dipshit opinion I've heard in weeks lol.

among the worst actually. means one of the worst.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#18 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@Litchie said:
.

DOOM 2016 was great, but earlier DOOMs were better. Not a fan of those arena lockdown events. I'm fine with some of those, but an arena lockdown on basically every enemy encounter? Bleh.

while arena lockdown was flaw that may fix in Eternal. but it was nowhear tedious as Painkiller and serious sam. atleast Doom 2016 has great level design (fondry one is best). painkiller and serious sam only have enemies running at you. not very interesting.

Avatar image for robbie23
#19 Posted by Robbie23 (320 posts) -

I'm currently playing Wolfenstein 2 now and I cannot stand Grace as a character.

Avatar image for vfighter
#20 Posted by VFighter (4804 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: That doesn't change a thing, its still a dipshit thing to say.

Avatar image for djoffer
#21 Posted by djoffer (1222 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: how is the enemies in doom different than the ones in serious Sam?? At least SS had some large areas locked down, all of dooms are tiny with very few enemies present at the same time..

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#22 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -
@djoffer said:

@ghosts4ever: how is the enemies in doom different than the ones in serious Sam?? At least SS had some large areas locked down, all of dooms are tiny with very few enemies present at the same time..

serious sam also have terrible shooting mechanics that make it unfun. Doom 2016 has one of the best shooting in FPS ever. shooting enemies in Doom is so satisfying.

serious sam large arena mean nothing when all it has it bland.

Avatar image for Litchie
#23 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
.

DOOM 2016 was great, but earlier DOOMs were better. Not a fan of those arena lockdown events. I'm fine with some of those, but an arena lockdown on basically every enemy encounter? Bleh.

while arena lockdown was flaw that may fix in Eternal. but it was nowhear tedious as Painkiller and serious sam. atleast Doom 2016 has great level design (fondry one is best). painkiller and serious sam only have enemies running at you. not very interesting.

Well, Painkiller was fun in the beginning, but I couldn't finish it as it became boring a few stages in. The rest of the Painkiller games seem terrible. Serious Sam looks lame as hell. DOOM has no competition there.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#24 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
.

DOOM 2016 was great, but earlier DOOMs were better. Not a fan of those arena lockdown events. I'm fine with some of those, but an arena lockdown on basically every enemy encounter? Bleh.

while arena lockdown was flaw that may fix in Eternal. but it was nowhear tedious as Painkiller and serious sam. atleast Doom 2016 has great level design (fondry one is best). painkiller and serious sam only have enemies running at you. not very interesting.

Well, Painkiller was fun in the beginning, but I couldn't finish it as it became boring a few stages in. The rest of the Painkiller games seem terrible. Serious Sam looks lame as hell. DOOM has no competition there.

other games are just expansion or HD remastered. yes painkiller was fun in beginning and i enjoy it but it was damn so repetetive that you are doing same thing over and over again. atleast DOOM has variation in levels. i couldnot complete it. they claim it as old school when it was not.

bulletstorm was thier better game but it was ok. not very good.

I remember people back in 2004 used to hate Doom 3 and called painkiller a real Doom 3 and i always laugh i mean really. even if Doom 3 is not similar it was tons and tons better. a quality horror FPS. no one can beat id software.

Avatar image for davillain-
#25 Posted by DaVillain- (36062 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ghosts4ever: Doom has a better story than Wolf 2? Lol. Just stop, Ghosts.

To be fair, Doom has a better single player experience then Wolfenstine and I ain't talking about the story either.

Voted: Doom.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#26 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30722 posts) -
@Litchie said:

Wut? Machine Games doing shooting better than id?

Haven't played it myself since it looks too cinematic for my taste.

DOOM 2016 was great, but earlier DOOMs were better. Not a fan of those arena lockdown events. I'm fine with some of those, but an arena lockdown on basically every enemy encounter? Bleh.

Well let me just say that I think that both games have excellent shooting.

But there are a few things where Wolfenstein II wins over its competition.

For one, and this is very subjective but I like reloading in shooters over finite ammo pools. That's why I like DOOM 3 a lot too.

One big change the new colossus has over the previous wolfenstein games is that you can now dual wield any two weapons. So a grenade launcher and laser gun, an smg and a shotgun, anything can be dual wielded and this is great for addapting at situations.

And then there are the big guns in wolfenstein II. Like a multi-barreled shotgun that shoots at the speed of an SMG.

All of that makes for a very fun shooting experience, and I never tried doing stealth in Wolfenstein II

Avatar image for Litchie
#27 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Yeah, Bulletstorm was lame as well. Fun for a couple of hours, then meh. And I agree about DOOM 3 as well. It was a a great game that many people underrated.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#28 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@ghosts4ever: Yeah, Bulletstorm was lame as well. Fun for a couple of hours, then meh. And I agree about DOOM 3 as well. It was a a great game that many people underrated.

last gen has so many terrible FPS its not even funny. last gen FPS were exact same COD style. bulletstorm which was kinda different has COD vibe too much.

this gen its all about open world and crafting which is boring too.

Avatar image for Litchie
#29 Edited by Litchie (23718 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: I see, thanks for clarifying.

Avatar image for Litchie
#30 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

@ghosts4ever: Yeah, Bulletstorm was lame as well. Fun for a couple of hours, then meh. And I agree about DOOM 3 as well. It was a a great game that many people underrated.

last gen has so many terrible FPS its not even funny. last gen FPS were exact same COD style. bulletstorm which was kinda different has COD vibe too much.

this gen its all about open world and crafting which is boring too.

Yeah, I've been trying to get into this crafting shit for a while now, but I just can't. Even the praised (and very cool looking) Subnautica bores me to tears. And Nintendo seems to be the only one (of all studios) able to make a fun open world game.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#31 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (5698 posts) -

Wolfenstein II. Better shooting, better story. Loved Doom after giving it a second go, but loved Wolfenstein II even more and it's easily one of my favourite shooters.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#32 Posted by pyro1245 (4925 posts) -

Doom ez

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#33 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30722 posts) -
@Litchie said:

@R4gn4r0k: I see, thanks for clarifying.

If you played and enjoyed The New Order and The Old Blood I can only recommend The New Colossus.

Avatar image for jeezers
#34 Edited by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Doom is great, though a bit repetitive

Wolfenstein II has superior shooting so it wins imho.

Both run on a really good engine. Love ID tech 6!

Wut? Machine Games doing shooting better than id?

Haven't played it myself since it looks too cinematic for my taste.

DOOM 2016 was great, but earlier DOOMs were better. Not a fan of those arena lockdown events. I'm fine with some of those, but an arena lockdown on basically every enemy encounter? Bleh.

i picked it up, wolfenstien 2, is under 20 bucks now i recommend it, give a shot. I agree with R4gn4rok, wolfenstiens shooting feel more crisp, the lean feature is also nice, duel wield works great, i prefer the shooting in wolfenstien 2, but i do prefer the movement in doom, doom is more fast paced but easier imo. The executions i think made doom to easy. After beating wolfenstien i feel doom is a little overrated. I agree with the arena lock down getting old. Doom is great fun but i think wolfenstien 2 is better. I put off wolfenstien 2 because of negative word of mouth and i regret not playing it sooner.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#35 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30722 posts) -

@jeezers said:

i picked it up, wilfenstien 2, is under 20 bucks now i recommend it, give a shot. I agree with R4gn4rok, wolfenstiens shooting feel more crisp, the lean feature is also nice, duel wield works great, i prefer the shooting in wolfenstien 2, but i do prefer the movement in doom, doom is more fast paced but easier imo. The executions i think made doom to easy. After beating wolfenstien i feel doom is a little overrated. I agree with the arena lock down getting old. Doom is great fun but i think wolfenstien 2 is better. I put off wolfenstien 2 because of negative word of mouth and i regret not playing it sooner.

Yeah DOOM has this nice flow, where you are always mobile, shooting at stuff and puching bad guys.

I really like the mobility too.

Avatar image for jeezers
#36 Posted by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: thats really the best part about doom, the speed/movement, too bad the online was crap, wolfenstien doesnt have mp, if doom had executed that well id go doom over wolfenstien, but going off of my experiance playing through the single player of both, wolfenstien wins, the setting of doom was borring, it was cool going to hell but i just felt like i was playing in a dirt factory 70% of the time. If im being fully honest doom felt much more repetitive and borring at times than wolfenstien 2 did. I played both on hard and thought wolfenstien 2 was more difficult as well Its funny i dont usually care for story but i found my self reading alot of the little things left around and listening to conversations with the npc's. wolfenstiens world is way more alive than dooms. From the beginning of being in the wheelchair to getting your new body, the cut scenes in the game fit, it was dope. Doom is more of a high octane shooting sandbox, nothing wrong with it, its fun. But wolfenstien surprised me, i didnt think i would like it as much as i did. Very excited for co-op in young bloodz now

Avatar image for Litchie
#37 Edited by Litchie (23718 posts) -

@jeezers: @R4gn4r0k: I just watched a gameplay video. The first 30 minutes, if not more, was basically only cutscenes. This game is definitely not for me. If there's fun gameplay in there somewhere, I'm not gonna sit through lots of bullshit to get to it.

Avatar image for jeezers
#38 Posted by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@Litchie: what video was it? i hate cut scenes but wolfenstiens did not feel over bearing, they really only play them between levels, which i think there are about 11 chapters in the story.

There is one part where you meet hitler, i dont want to ruin it but its funny as hell lol

Avatar image for Litchie
#39 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -

@jeezers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1azHcgh_U

That one. Too much man.

Avatar image for jeezers
#40 Posted by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@Litchie: i felt like you untill i played it, i heard it was filled with cut scenes and pushed a bunch of sjw bs so i diddnt bother. I changed my mind after playing it, great game, im a fan, i think it improved alot from new order.

Avatar image for jeezers
#41 Edited by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@jeezers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1azHcgh_U

That one. Too much man.

oh yeah lol! thats the intro, which alot of it is catching people up with what happened in New order (if they didnt play it). The intro definitely has the most cutscenes, this is basically before your even in the tutorial mission, after that, its no where near as bad

Avatar image for vaidream45
#42 Posted by Vaidream45 (1850 posts) -

Doom on pc is amazing

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#43 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@jeezers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1azHcgh_U

That one. Too much man.

Loading Video...

It actually have almost 3 hour of cutscenes. a freakin 3 HOURS. half of game is just a cutscene. and cutscene is not justifyable when story is so so bad.

atleast Metro has amazing story despite having cutscenes. but this game has more cutscenes than any other FPS in past years. thats why im saying COD games are masterpiece compare to this game.

Avatar image for jeezers
#44 Posted by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: cod is trash bro, theres a reason why no one knows any ones name is those games, wolfenstien has cut scenes but its to keep the story going while jumping from different settings, i dont mind it at all, and some especially when BJ gets captured, when hes sentenced, or when he meets hitler, everything tied together very well. I dont usually care for story, but wolfenstien did it right,

you said earlier that Doom has a better story than wolfenstien so I'm going to take your opinion with a grain of salt, doom litteraly has no story, but thats ok, when they made the game that was obviously an after thought, which is fine, any story it has is just excuse to throw waves of enemies at you, doom is a fun game, but its "story" is irreleavent and might as well not exist. To say it has a better story than wolfenstien is actually wrong, usually id say have your opinion, but in this case your just straight up wrong.

Avatar image for warmblur
#45 Edited by warmblur (2161 posts) -

Doom

real answer

Always F.E.A.R. it's better then both games by miles.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#46 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@jeezers said:

@ghosts4ever: cod is trash bro, theres a reason why no one knows any ones name is those games,

yeah i know but wolfenstein is worse. thats the point. far worse. theres no redeeming factor in this game. the level design suck, entire game is movie, cant decide if it want to be stealth or shooter. when theres action its all interrupt by shitty cutscene, bad story, heavily scripted etc. you can further read my review by clicking my profile. its a good read. COD games are not even this bad. last time i played this bad FPS was bioshock infinite.

@jeezers said:

you said earlier that Doom has a better story than wolfenstien so I'm going to take your opinion with a grain of salt, doom litteraly has no story, but thats ok, when they made the game that was obviously an after thought, which is fine, any story it has is just excuse to throw waves of enemies at you, doom is a fun game, but its "story" is irreleavent and might as well not exist. To say it has a better story than wolfenstien is actually wrong, usually id say have your opinion, but in this case your just straight up wrong.

Doom has story, you have to pay attention to it. the lore in Doom is so much better than wolfenstein lore. just because one game has 3 hour of cutscene doesnot mean it tell good story.

Avatar image for jeezers
#47 Edited by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: naaaah I completely disagree with you, what do you mean it cant make up its mind if its stealth or action? Giving you the option to do either is awesome, you can run through the whole game without any stealth, granted some parts will be alot more difficult if you go Rambo route, I like to mix it up, sometimes id have the silencer pistol in the left with a shotgun in the right in case my cover was blown I could start blowing people away, its solid. A big part of story is character development, get real doom has 0 character development, be honest doom is not a story game, almost the only thing i can remember was theres a portal between mars and hell, shit went wrong, kill the demons.

Theres nothing wrong with that because the game prides itself on the mobility and shooting, but dooms story is pointless, no ones gives a shit. Its fun as hell killing demons, but did i care why i was killing demons in Doom???? No i did not lol

Avatar image for jeezers
#48 Posted by jeezers (2669 posts) -

@jeezers: also as far as setting, wolfenstien was better, by far, doom felt like you were in a dirt factory 70% of the game. Level design in doom is overated, every part just feels like an open arena, which works more for arcade shooter, but nothing in doom is immersive, which is fine, they obviously werent going for that

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#49 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@jeezers said:

@ghosts4ever: naaaah I completely disagree with you, what do you mean it cant make up its mind if its stealth or action?

theres other games that give you option like Metro and it works. it didnot work in wolfenstein because stealth here is abysmal and so is gameplay mechanics. although shooting is solid but thats it.

@jeezers said:

@ghosts4ever: A big part of story is character development, get real doom has 0 character development, be honest doom is not a story game, almost the only thing i can remember was theres a portal between mars and hell, shit went wrong, kill the demons.

for a story game, the story in this game is so badly written and dialogues are so cinge worthy its like written by 12 year old. who cares about BJ abusive father? who cares how he treat BJ mother? plus theres tons of cinge worthy moment like anya took off clothes why burning and shooting. etc.

its not a game. its a movie and badly written. Doom is pure gamey game.

Half life 2 release in 2004 doesnot have any cutscene but has amazing character development and story. to tell amazing story you dont need 3 hours of cutscene.

Avatar image for enzyme36
#50 Posted by enzyme36 (4153 posts) -

Doom by a mile.... Wolfenstein is for the narrative lovers out there... certainly not for shooter fans.