Which do you like more - Nintendo style direct or in-person event?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which do you like more - Nintendo style direct or in-person event? (18 votes)

Direct 44%
In-Person Event 56%

I think Nintendo does them really well. Unfortunately Xbox and PlayStation don't in my opinion. PlayStation sort of started strong in the beginning, but now their events feel like commercials and ad campaigns. Xbox has the weird in-depth developer thing that is boring. As for the other companies like Capcom, Sega, they're pretty forgettable. I like in-person when done right. Geoff Keighly has done a good job with the VGAs, but they still suffer from being bloated. My favorite was the old school E3 when developer/publishers really cared about surprising gamers. There was also a more natural feel to it.

• 
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6026 Posts

I don't like the online events, their so stetile, no atmoshere or personality no matter who does them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Nintendo style is the worst. Found them laughable when they were introduced with Nintendo, and now that everyone does em, its so bad.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts

Definitely like the in-person stuff a lot more. Big stage presentation with a live crowd is just so fun. Plus it’s great when you get reactions to a surprise guest appearance and what not. Nintendo does do a pretty good job with their Direct’s.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Is like asking whether people like in-person learning in a physical classroom over virtual learning through a computer? There is something human in in-person events that cannot be replicated through impersonal Nintendo-style directs.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I prefer the nobody saw it coming then one day I'm looking through my feed then bam something that looks totally awesome is coming and I'm like "oh, **** yeah that looks awesome"... some big planned events have great takeaways but there's also some accompanied disappointment fed by rumors that never materialize in the lead-up, and just, too much build up in general. I like surprises though.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

In Person Events, but only because people can usually try the games.

Talk is cheap, making an enjoyable experience is not.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Directs. They feel way more inclusive AND make the pubs reveal info they want to.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Archangel3371: indeed, nothing beats in person. The event itself is like a festival, a real amazing experience.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Yeah, it’s like gamer Christmas.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2436 Posts

Making E3 open to the public is what killed it. You’ll never hear anyone actually admit that, but that’s like 95% of the reason why. E3 was basically an industry party. A party that made the expense worth it.

I prefer the old E3, but for the after hours Giant Bomb streams where everybody was wasted and talking shit on the couch.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3054 Posts

I've said this a thousand times, but I absolutely hate directs/state of play/developer event bull$hit. Nintendo does it best, but that's like saying you'd rather be poked in the eye versus punched in the mouth. Both suck. I also despise being drip-fed sporadic information throughout the year. Just lay it all out once a year, and make an event out it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

For those who voted for in-person events, have you ever been to a convention (gaming-related or not)? I have gone to a few conventions in the past with the last one being a "shoujo" anime/manga convention that was held in Newark, New Jersey in 2000.

The experience of an in-person event is different than watching a virtual event on the computer screen.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I'd probably say in-person if I could go personally. Since I can't, presentations will do nicely, so long as they're nicely done.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16

@onesiphorus said:

For those who voted for in-person events, have you ever been to a convention (gaming-related or not)? I have gone to a few conventions in the past with the last one being a "shoujo" anime/manga convention that was held in Newark, New Jersey in 2000.

The experience of an in-person event is different than watching a virtual event on the computer screen.

I didn't vote yes, but I go to a local comic convention in SLC every year since 2015. My vacation time.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I like directs because they stay away from all the business type announcements i don't care about.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I just want the online directs, the whole point of this is to showcase games and reveal new ones. Does its job efficiently.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2436 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I thought you were gonna tell us the GOP was upset about E3 being canceled lol

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nintendoboy16

@ghostofgolden: Wrong thread. Whoops!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@last_lap said:

I don't like the online events, their so stetile, no atmoshere or personality no matter who does them.

Also they are forgotten the next day. Did anyone even talk about the Zelda gameplay the next day? Nobody did.

This is the situation we are currently in. Back at E3 people were queuing for hours just to see Zelda, and were talking about it for days.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3398 Posts

I've always defended that the end of E3 as we knew it was tragic because we need that cringe. Stuff not working properly, CEOs being awkward dudes playing panpipes and so on.