Which console will have the longer life span

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Poll Which console will have the longer life span (57 votes)

Xbox One 32%
PS4 68%

Both consoles came out at the same time, so all is equal there, but how long can Micro$oft hold off Sony this round? Last generation was very long at 7-8 years. My guess is Micro$oft throws in the towel first and decides to release Xbox Two(?) 3-4 years before Sony needs to release PS5.

• 
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I would expect the PS5 coming holiday 2019. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will be aiming for launch. Microflipflopsoft seems to be flying around by the seat of their pants so it's harder to predict.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

MS next gen console releases next year it is code named Scorpio. As for Sony I expect the PS5 to be out 2020.

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AppleBeatsPC
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

I would expect the PS5 coming holiday 2019. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will be aiming for launch. Microflipflopsoft seems to be flying around by the seat of their pants so it's harder to predict.

I'm predicting PS5 in 2021, with Xbox Two(?) coming 2018.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@undefined: The Xbox 360 was here 11 years. I suspect that $ony will have the PS3 cycle ended soon.

Current gen I say the PSbore will be here longer than the Xbox One.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

PS4

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

xbox one.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

The NX

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

Useless thread. This person obviously is not aware that the traditional console cycle is dead or is just trolling us all.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

Horizon Zero Dawn hasn't released yet, or do you think that GG have the resources to create two AAA budget games at the same time, one of which is for mythical, non existent hardware?

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#10 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Relying heavily on multi-platform games. I don't think either console will have a notably longer life span.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@Nike_Air said:

Horizon Zero Dawn hasn't released yet, or do you think that GG have the resources to create two AAA budget games at the same time, one of which is for mythical, non existent hardware?

It's releasing soon. Killzone 3 released in Feb 2011 , and Shadow Fall made PS4 's launch. Was the PS4 just a myth back then? Did it just pop out off thin air with a Killzone game? And Guerrilla is a very big studio by the way , and Sony will give them the general baseline specs for PS5 to start building out on PC first and they will transfer things over to the mythical PS5. Keep in mind that Horizon is a new IP and new greatness takes time , but Horizon 2 won't be a new IP. The foundation (and then some) will have already been laid years before PS5 's launch.

Those are my logical and reasonable expectations / predictions at this time all things considered (technology moving quickly / competition). I could be wrong , but I doubt it. Only time will tell.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

History shows PlayStation ALWAYS has the longest lasting console support. This is a FACT. PS4 will be around the longest.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

X1 is already pushing up daisies.

Now it's just decaying and starting to stink like leMS.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

"3-4 years before Sony"... yeah keep dreaming

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@applebeatspc said:
@Nike_Air said:

I'm predicting PS5 in 2021, with Xbox Two(?) coming 2018.

LOL, I suppose @notafanboy's profile pic pretty much sums it up

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@stuff238 said:

History shows PlayStation ALWAYS has the longest lasting console support. This is a FACT. PS4 will be around the longest.

You're right, it will be the longest, the longest console to collect dust!

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

History shows that PlayStation leads the way in removing features from their consoles. Just look at last gen with the original launch model PS3 and then look at the last model PS3 Super Slim they left the generation with. The last console they left the generation with is bare bones compared to their original launch console. They gutted out so many things, removed so many features, and ended support for many more games and features & faster too. I remember they closed down online servers to games within the same generation. Just one out of many that comes to mind is Calling All Cars or something like that, within only 3 years they shut down online for that game. Also they shut down online support sooner than later for games like the Resistance franchise, MAG, Warhawk/Starhawk, Socom, Uncharted franchise, Haze, etc. just to name a few. They even shut down features like PlayStation Home, Folding@Home, PlayStation Qore and none of these carried over onto their next console. They don't even have support for backward compatibility and no official external hard drive support for games.

In contrast, the original Xbox 360 launch model kept on adding more and more features as the generation came along. Not only that console improved with features, it also improved in looks. Plus things like Avatars and everything that you invested for them, carries over onto the Xbox One. All the things people invested with PlayStation Home are gone without a trace, they took your money and ran. Also till this day, this generation, Sony continues to shut down online servers for their games like MLB The Show franchise on a yearly basis. And by the looks for it, they are continuing with the downgrading and removal of features for their console once again judging by the leaked PS4 Slim and NeO leaks if true. The support of games and features helps the life span of the console and so far the support for many more games and features carries over from the last Xbox onto the next Xbox, so that is undeniable proof that the support for games and features has a longer life span with Xbox over PlayStation.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Most likely the ps4. Ps2 had its last game made I think it was last year.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

By default if Neo and Scorpio are to be considered PlayStation 4's and Xbox One's, the Xbox One will greatly outlive the PlayStation 4, it's simple hardware figures.

Also console generations are dead.

P.S. LOL at this fanboy shit show of "I'm predicting PS5 in 2021, with Xbox Two(?) coming 2018."

Yeah, let's just release Scorpio, the most powerful console by a large margin and replace it in a year... Where do you people come from lol?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Star650 said:

MS next gen console releases next year it is code named Scorpio. As for Sony I expect the PS5 to be out 2020.

It depends on AMD's 7 nm progress.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/40945-amd-working-on-7nm-48-core-processor

AMD has both in-house ARM v8/AArch64 compatible CPU(aka K12) and X86-64 CPUs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9232/amds-k12-arm-cpu-now-in-2017

And though K12 is delayed, AMD tells us that this hasn’t changed how it’s being developed, which is to say that it’s being done in concert with Zen. So virtually everything AMD gets right with Zen will be integrated into K12 as well, just on the basis of the ARM ISA instead of x86. AMD still believes that the time is right for ARM in the server space – along with a very obvious place in the semi-custom SoC space – and that K12 will be an interesting alternative to Zen in that regard.

AMD's K12 would be the first ARM compatible CPU with ZEN's level performance.

There's only two GPU vendors with high performance.

Funk21312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Funk21312
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

@stuff238 said:

This is the only objectively correct answer. Our Sony are currently still supporting the PS3 more than M$ are supporting the Xbox One... and now lems have lost Halo. We must all reach out to lems and remind them that our Sony will welcome them to the PS4 for rehabilitation.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Sony is more loyal to their consoles so PS4. The Xbone already feels like its dying and being replaced.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

Please stop making threads.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Xbone is already dead.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

One of the main reason why i favor Playstation consoles and the main reason why i really im against Nintendo consoles. You know beforehand youll be getting games over and over till next generation. NO hell , you know youll be getting games even into next-generation.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Now that I think of it, the PSbore is already on its way out anyway, so maybe it is the Xbox.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

PS4 obviously, since MS dropped exclusives and try to counter the world's most powerful video game console in the history of video games, the current gen 8 leader PS4, its up to SONY to continue this gen,

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Playstations have TRADITIONALLY been supported far longer than the competition, far longer than the average life span of consoles, which was usually 5 years. Anyone denying this FACT would be complete utter IDIOT rabid fanboy. The facts and history are there fellas.

I could see PS4 being supported well beyond 5 years. Hell, PS3 is STILL being sold/supported to this day. Except for Australia.

Now that's hardcore longevity. It's simple, PlayStation is a powerful/popular brand. You're very much instantly guaranteed to get strong 3rd party support in a wide variety of genres. And gamers want variety. Simple as that!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

@BassMan said:

Useless thread. This person obviously is not aware that the traditional console cycle is dead or is just trolling us all.

The OP's name gave it away actually lol.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@AzatiS said:

One of the main reason why i favor Playstation consoles and the main reason why i really im against Nintendo consoles. You know beforehand youll be getting games over and over till next generation. NO hell , you know youll be getting games even into next-generation.

Ditto.

I love gaming, but I am partial to my wallet even more. I look at the purchase of a console as an investment -- of my time, energy, attention, and money. Due to that, I lean to Playstation for software support throughout their consoles life cycle (poor Vita).

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@AzatiS said:

Ditto.

I love gaming, but I am partial to my wallet even more. I look at the purchase of a console as an investment -- of my time, energy, attention, and money. Due to that, I lean to Playstation for software support throughout their consoles life cycle (poor Vita).

Playstation is proven thru years under all circumstances ( PS3 provided major NEW AAA caliber IPs when SONY as a whole was at the verge of bankruptcy , nuff said ). That alone says alot . Consoles speaking.

As for VITA , yes , it was a commercial failure and yes SONY pulled the plug , no excuses , but ... SONYs worst system ever ( which again was a handheld ) has double the games of NINTENDOs console ( Wii U ) in total. Nuff said i think.

But as i said , SONY had every excuse in the world to stop supporting either VITA , let alone PS3 if they wanted to , since they were in a multibillion year around loss , again and again. Nintendo had ZERO to let N64 go , GC go and Wii U let alone .... Wii !!!!!!!!!

So i agree with you , if people value their money , PS is the way to go , period.

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AppleBeatsPC
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

@funk21312 said:
@stuff238 said:

This is the only objectively correct answer. Our Sony are currently still supporting the PS3 more than M$ are supporting the Xbox One... and now lems have lost Halo. We must all reach out to lems and remind them that our Sony will welcome them to the PS4 for rehabilitation.

Great points! The reason the PS3 has been able to survive so long is that it was equipped with teh power of the Cell. It is a bit of a shame Sony didn't want to develop a Cell 2 process for PS4, but perhaps it will return for PS5... We can only hope.