Which console has the best user interface?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) 3 years, 4 months ago

Poll: Which console has the best user interface? (109 votes)

Xbox One 39%
Playstation 4 36%
Wii U 24%

XBOX ONE:

PS4:

WII U:

#51 Posted by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

@Zen_Light said:

@parkurtommo: You sound like an insecure teenager. Does that description fit your age group of 14-19?

Yeah lol i am 15, u got a problim? lel

I am totally secure i have a gurlfrend lol her name is Wii LOL JK ONLY PETER PAN FANS LIKE WII.

#52 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (29570 posts) -

They're all garbage.

I'll say WiiU though because you can go directly to a game before actually turning on the system so you don't really have to see it's horrible UI.

#53 Posted by PsychoLemons (3163 posts) -

Neither, my vote goes to Windows 7 and XP.

#54 Posted by finalstar2007 (27911 posts) -

Easily the PS4's as its clean, simple and easy to look at it.

#55 Edited by hoosier7 (4166 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Xbox One UI is not mess. You can have game, achivements, friends, everything in 1 screen. PS4 you can´t have. You can´t even see game list...

In PS4 you have to go other page to see anything meanwhile Xbox One has all on 1 screen.

Wii U is nice and friendly but too slow.

PS4 Menu is like 2006 menu. Mess, not nice at all, and weird look.

PS4 UI is also very slow.

vs.

Lol what's with the DC? No need to start making up nonsense just because your poll backfired Freedom. The PS4 menu's are not a "mess" and they sure as hell aren't slow given they're faster than the X1's!

#56 Edited by Alucard_Prime (8590 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: whoa! That bottom screenshot gave me an idea i'd never considered, because right now I've got like 24 pins, didn't occur to me that by only having 6 you can see all your pins and the home area at the same time by simply going to pins.....I feel stupid.....sometimes the simplest things somehow evade me lol...im gonna try that because most of my 24 pins on don't use as often as the others.

Cannot comment on the PS4 one, not enough time with it......I do agree that sometimes the XOne dashboard can feel sluggish going from one thing to another quickly, but some will be pleased to know that the upcoming August update is decreasing the dashboard load times and is overall making it more responsive.

#57 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

The only next gen console I have is a PS4....so...I dunno.

I've heard lots of ppl hate how the X1 is not that responsive and is a cluster **** of sorts.....which is not surprising coming from MS.

I've heard 90% of ppl say they like the PS4 interface....most of the ppl say easy, responsive and clean....all that stuff....I agree.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#58 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I've heard lots of ppl hate how the X1 is not that responsive and is a cluster **** of sorts.....which is not surprising coming from MS.

I've heard 90% of ppl say they like the PS4 interface....most of the ppl say easy, responsive and clean....all that stuff....I agree.

Heard and heard? Because PS4 owners only owns PS4 and they always hate X1 anyway. They never owned X1. Those PS4 who like interface are only PS4 owners and don´t own other consoles.

Buy 3 consoles and PS4 loses this war

#59 Edited by sukraj (27268 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

PS4's UI looks like garbage

it does

#60 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (7921 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The Xbone by a mile. The whole "Metro" UI on all the platforms is incredibly intuitive and so highly customizable.

I'm fine with X1s. I haven't tried the others. But I don't understand the complaints about the metro system tbh. I love Windows 8.1 as well. The customisable metro start section on it has completely cleared my desktop of short cut icons and it all looks much neater now. I don't get what's so good about the way Windows 7 does it.

Although on the X1s, I don't know why we can't change the black background.

#61 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: yes I heard.

Funny enough all the bitching I heard about the x1 interface was from X1 owners.

And you don't know....HAVE NO IDEA OR PROOF....that those that like the PS4 interface only have a PS4.

Don't be biased.

#62 Edited by cainetao11 (32435 posts) -

Lol at X1 being clutter and can't find where anything is. So people can see a massive difference between 1080p and 900p, but can't see and find things on the dashboard? For the vote I say WiiU because its just plain fun.

#63 Posted by cainetao11 (32435 posts) -

@ermacness: agreed. I don't see what's so difficult about either UI from the pictures FreedomFreeLife posted.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
#64 Posted by deactivated-583e460ca986b (7240 posts) -

My vote is Xbox One. I think the PS4 UI is too bare bones. I'm obviously in the minority though. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

#65 Edited by Bishop1310 (1274 posts) -

x1 kills the ps4. you sony fan boys are pathetic.

#66 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife

Maybe go outside and experience summer instead of having your threads backfire on you every time on here. We know you're a lem and there's no hiding it, I think even your lem friends vote for Sony related things just to shut you up, and get you to stop posting.

#68 Posted by CyberLips (1826 posts) -

X1's interface reminds me of Windows 8 so no. PS4's interface is simple and clean, nothing special. WiiU is just weird....

#69 Posted by osan0 (14908 posts) -

i voted for the PS4 even though i dont have either a PS4 or X1 for 2 simple reasons

1) the wiius interface (which i do have) is a slow and frustrating system to use. it simply cant be the best interface on consoels today. everything about it is slow.

2) i dont like metro. i have windows 8 and i dont go as far as replacing it but thats just because i am on the proper desktop 99% of the time anyway. but having to look at that on a TV before i launch a game...no thanks.

so i kinda wins by default (unless the PS4 is also slow to wake and do anything).

if we are including a wider range of devcies then i do like the vita interface. i know "NOT THE BUTTONS!!" but its fast, responsive and gets the job done very well. in the time it takes my wiiu to launch to the wara wara i can wake up my vita, get out of the game i am currently playing (that was in stand by), pop over to the PSN store, launch it and nearly start browsing (i say nearly because the interface on the PSN store on the vita is complete and utter rubbish).

The 3DS is also pretty good...not much faffing about.

#70 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@FastRobby: That's a pretty petty way of trying to downplay the fact that most ppl just like the PS4 interface more.

Just say fanboy and hopefully the brainless will follow the piper.

#72 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

The UI is the one thing the XBone does really well. The Wii-Us is probably the simplest, and cleanest, but I would rather have all the options the Xbone offers. The PS4's is good, way better than the PS3s but still not as good as the XBone's.

#73 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -

I know I'm not going to be in the majority here, but I do love voice commands. Saying the name of a movie I want to watch, doing internet searches by voice, and snapping to weather.com while watching a movie or playing a game is my favorite way to interface with a console. And SmartGlass is quite nice when you need to type. So I like the Xbox interface best.

#74 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

The Xbox 360 has the best UI overall, but that's not in the poll. I honestly don't like any of the next-gen UI. I don't own a Wii U, but just looking at the mess in the picture tell me I wouldn't like that UI either. I probably hate the PS4 UI a bit more then the XB1 only because I can snap apps and games with XB1 and find other areas using my voice. With the PS4 I have to scroll left and right, up and down and through several menus just to find what I need. Why they have everything across one line is beyond me. It was easier on the PS3 to pull down app, games, setting, etc.. The PS4 UI is just a mess.

#75 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Lol at X1 being clutter and can't find where anything is. So people can see a massive difference between 1080p and 900p, but can't see and find things on the dashboard? For the vote I say WiiU because its just plain fun.

Actually you can "PIN" just about everything on the XB1, so you only need to go to one area to find your games and apps. Yes, it starts out as a cluster mess, but if you pin what you want, you can find everything fairly quickly. With the PS4, everything is either on the main bar the scrolls left to right or the top bar which you still have to scroll left to right. Everything is pictures until you highlight the box and then you can see the name of the app or game. It's terrible. Everyone saying the PS4 UI is easier to use is full of shit. It sucks worse then the XB1 UI. The XBox 360 still has the best UI hands down. The "home" button on your controller is your best friend. Don't know why M$ changed it.

#76 Posted by cainetao11 (32435 posts) -

@blackace said:

@cainetao11 said:

Actually you can "PIN" just about everything on the XB1, so you only need to go to one area to find your games and apps. Yes, it starts out as a cluster mess, but if you pin what you want, you can find everything fairly quickly. With the PS4, everything is either on the main bar the scrolls left to right or the top bar which you still have to scroll left to right. Everything is pictures until you highlight the box and then you can see the name of the app or game. It's terrible. Everyone saying the PS4 UI is easier to use is full of shit. It sucks worse then the XB1 UI. The XBox 360 still has the best UI hands down. The "home" button on your controller is your best friend. Don't know why M$ changed it.

Yeah I have personalized my X1 dash. And I was saying that Miiverse screen is plain fun as someone else pointed out that isnt the WiiU UI.

#77 Posted by Doozie78 (1123 posts) -

PS4 for sure. The U's UI is a clusterfuck and the bones is...a clusterfuck.

#78 Posted by Vecna (3425 posts) -

The only thing polls indicate in these forums is how many fans of one system are present. If you really think someone is going to put aside fanboy rhetoric to objectively vote your delusional. People will vote with their loyalty only.

#79 Posted by lamprey263 (34416 posts) -

I'd say Xbox One, the UI runs smooth now with its updates, the party chat has been refined for easy of access and quicker utilization which matters sometimes especially while in the midst of playing online. The drop-in / drop-out of a game works on the X1, while PS4 it's questionable if it will ever come, the record feature actually works on the X1 while share has issues on PS4. I'd say X1 UI is looking the best right now, for now, these things tend to change.

#80 Posted by Ballroompirate (25858 posts) -

Have to say it's a toss up between the PS4 ui and the Wii-U ui.

#81 Posted by Foxi911 (1676 posts) -

Xbox One wins this hands down. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional, in the most polite way I can put it.

#82 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -
@doozie78 said:

PS4 for sure. The U's UI is a clusterfuck and the bones is...a clusterfuck.

Do you even own an XB1? Yes, it's definitely a clusterfuck when you first get on it, but thankfully M$ gives you the power to organize your games, apps and menus so that it's not a complete mess. Once you do that, it's better, but still far from perfect. With the PS4, there isn't any customization. At least I haven't seen any yet. I need to see if I can move all my games to the front of the row. Don't even know if that's possible or not. It's like game- game- app- game-menu-game-app-music option-game-game-app. lol!! Complete joke.

@Foxi911 said:

Xbox One wins this hands down. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional, in the most polite way I can put it.

Yes, they are delusional because they don't own an XB1 and have never used it. They've only used the Wii U or PS4 UI so they bash the XB1 UI just to justify their platform of choice.

#83 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@FastRobby: COD wins awards every year..."Transformers" makes a ton of money.....Justin Beeber used to be a popular huge star.....these are all things that were deemed great that really are not.

Your point is crap.

#84 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

None blow me away atm.

I have only a few minutes of time with the WiiU, so I can't judge personally. The wide reports of a slow interface, mind boggling controller restrictions, lack of some needed organizational customization, and Nintendo's reticence to make sweeping changes means this one is not only not that great, but it'll likely stay mostly as is.

I find the XBone is cluttered and a bit laggy compared to the PS4, but the customization options are miles ahead, and the 360 as well as the brief history with the XB1 tell me MS will do what is needed to continue improving the UI. If I were to guess the whole UI will probably get a complete makeover as MS falls as out of love with the Metro styling as most of the PC community has.

PS4's is a very basic, functional, and speedy interface. It's also lacking basic customization options that are sorely needed, especially to manage a digital library. It's probably the best "out of the box" UI for those just looking to get into a game, see what's up with their friends, and visit the store. It's also a safe bet to see features added regularly as the gen proceeds.

I guess I'd go PS4 for the basic UI, and probably XB1 for those willing to set things up to their tastes.

#85 Edited by Doozie78 (1123 posts) -

Yeah i've played on the bone quite a few times. It's not intolerable but come on, none of them are perfect but all three of them at least play some games I guess.

#87 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@FastRobby: but what you're not understanding is that the PS4 interface while maybe not flashy or whatever is...as a fact: responsive and simple.

2 of probably the most important things when designing a user interface.

#89 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

PC !

#90 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

Never heard of anyone actually liking the metro UI tiles on any platform. That shit is atrocious

#91 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

I kind of think the WiiU has a neat interface.

But outside of the choices, I actually like the Vita's the most.

#92 Posted by T-razor1 (1162 posts) -

Xbox One

The PS4 UI is too barebones and just so damn plain jane and boring. The only thing that stands out to me on the PS4 is that things are more responsive and move faster than it did on the PS3. Is it better organized? Not really and if anything it's slightly worse.

One thing to me if people aren't sure why the Xbox One is better than the PS4 UI.... I have one word: PINS. The end.

The Wii U is actually pretty good as well.

#93 Posted by Merex760 (4381 posts) -

PS4 for speed, XB1 for looks, Wii U for originality. Overall I like the PS4's the most. A faster UI is better than something that looks pretty and is slow.

#94 Edited by GamersJustGame (323 posts) -

X1

#95 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Heard and heard? Because PS4 owners only owns PS4 and they always hate X1 anyway. They never owned X1. Those PS4 who like interface are only PS4 owners and don´t own other consoles.

Buy 3 consoles and PS4 loses this war

Then why is there more PS4s in consumers' homes than Xbox One if the PS4 lost the war?

#96 Posted by handssss (1907 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@FastRobby: but what you're not understanding is that the PS4 interface while maybe not flashy or whatever is...as a fact: responsive and simple.

2 of probably the most important things when designing a user interface.

Before Microsoft removed the Kinect, there wasn't anything faster than the Xbox One UI, I honestly don't have a clue how well it works without Kinect, because I always use it

it doesn't. That's why it got so many reports and why MS has tried to update it to make things better for people using their controllers. M

aking your UI only decent when using voice controls is shit design. Requiring users to use a $100 camera to input those voice controls instead of allowing them to use any mic or headset is even shittier design.

#97 Posted by Wilson09 (53 posts) -

Wow you are such a dipshit. That isn't the Wii U's main UI, that's the miiverse posts you see on the TV, the UI is on the gamepad and it's a better version of the Wii's UI (that button on the bottom right swaps it around). This is the actual UI:

#98 Posted by ProtossX (2880 posts) -

I actually thought the PS4 UI would be better but after using both i like the xb1 more I think its still shit but i like it more

playing games at 1080p = ps4

if u want a ui that slightly more features but plays games like shit and you like windows 8 = xb1

i could see windows 10 literally saving the xb1 tho if its a good if it windows is good i could see it literally killing the ps4 because the ps4 UI isn't any diff than the ps3's like a little bit prettier an a lil bit snappier faster but it doesn't feel apples ui which is brilliant or like androids it feels barbaric and last gennish

#99 Posted by onesiphorus (2001 posts) -

@Wilson09: why did you bump a eight-month old thread?