Which console has the best user interface?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Which console has the best user interface? (109 votes)

Xbox One 39%
Playstation 4 36%
Wii U 24%

XBOX ONE:

PS4:

WII U:

• 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Xbone by a mile. The whole "Metro" UI on all the platforms is incredibly intuitive and so highly customizable.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Xbox One for personalisation. PS4 for responsiveness and appearance.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

None are amazing.

The XBO is a clutter where I don't know where anything is

The Wii U just looks a shambles and mess in every way

The PS4 is far too simple and static, but at least its intuitive for finding what you need, so that gets my vote... just.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the PS4 ui is cleaner looking and much faster.. Sony has really came along way from the terrible PS3 ui

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

the amount of people complaining about how cluttered and non controller friendly the xbone interface was makes it an automatic loss. Metro is horrible and I'd only be somewhat ok with it for a touchscreen device. Apparently the gesture controls never really worked, the controller was terrible and they needed to update the UI recently just to make it a little more tolerable, and you needed a $100 camera to use voice controls to get the most pain-free experience.

ps4 takes half a second to go to whatever setting you want. lightning fast. can use voice controls to select a specific game or app if you wish, any headset works. share button as a shortcut to streaming, clips, and pictures much better than xbone's method.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22660 Posts

All have pros and cons... for me, next gen hasn't gotten to the point where the ui has meant a damn... turn on console, play game... the end. I feel like I'll be able to answer more accurately when the ui makes a difference.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

PS4's UI looks like garbage

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Nothing comes close to ps4 interface. and good god what is that ball of chaos on the Wii U? I'm getting a migraine just looking at it.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

PS3's UI still king

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22660 Posts

@scottpsfan14: no, the ps4 ui is as boring and bland as it gets... no one said it operates like garbage... just doesn't look very appealing. I somewhat agree.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

They all suck...

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@scottpsfan14: no, the ps4 ui is as boring and bland as it gets... no one said it operates like garbage... just doesn't look very appealing. I somewhat agree.

It is better being simplistic stylish and fast than a clutter of useless icons. It is also more intuitive and better organized. I know people get bored of regular UIs but i have seen many things get ruined just for the sake of changing (Metro garbage is one of them). A UI needs to be always simplistic, stylish and intuitive.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Right now, I think PS4 has the best UI of the next gen consoles. It's boring, but it is the easiest to find what I need.

Xbox 360 still has the best overall UI and I think eventually Xbox One will have the best next gen console UI since Microsoft is putting more effort than Sony and Nintendo into updates that continue to improve it based on user feedback.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Krelian-co

@scottpsfan14 said:
@TheEroica said:

But seriously, his opinions on everything are so close minded and shit. It was more of a statement about him as a whole. He isn't very reasonable.

Well pretty much the guy is just garbage he always makes bs about pretty much everything, he lies his teeth out to defend microsoft and attack sony (i mean most fanboy do this but he just straight up makes bs) and even hides behind pc to do so.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

None are amazing.

The XBO is a clutter where I don't know where anything is

The Wii U just looks a shambles and mess in every way

The PS4 is far too simple and static, but at least its intuitive for finding what you need, so that gets my vote... just.

Yeah, this. They all have positive aspects, but they all suck in some ways too.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Krelian-co

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Krelian-co said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@TheEroica said:

But seriously, his opinions on everything are so close minded and shit. It was more of a statement about him as a whole. He isn't very reasonable.

Well pretty much the guy is just garbage he always makes bs about pretty much everything, he lies his teeth out to defend microsoft and attack sony (i mean most fanboy do this but he just straight up makes bs) and even hides behind pc to do so.

mems, FreedomFreeLife, Salt_The_Fries are the worst lems on SW. I can deal with the petty trolling lems like FoxbatAlpha who has sly digs at cows etc, but these make up shit till the end to try and downplay anything Sony. Just look at FreedomFreeLifes latest threads. Insecurity at it's finest.

You should have seen mems after the xbone reveal, the levels of bs he made to excuse the drm and difference in power was too high.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Ps4 is pretty simple. I like that.

WiiU is also simple, but too slow.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

SDC

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

X1's by a mile. Anyone who says the Xbox One UI is a cluttered mess is either a dimwit or just a fanboy hater. I have ZERO issues getting to where I need to go on my X1. Either using my voice or the controller, I can easily navigate my way to games, apps or TV in a blink. One click left I can see every game that I own. I can also just say "XBOX, go to my games and apps" and boom, Im there. "XBOX watch TV"..boom, Im there. Ohhh that is soo hard.

The PS4 UI is just too "plain jane" and boring tbh! There is ZERO customization available and the background music is ANNOYING and cant be changed either!!!

The WiiU UI is fairly easy to maneuver, but I am not down with the whole gathering place feel that it has going on. Luckily through the use of the tablet controller, this process can be made very simple!!

My vote is....1. X1 2. WiiU 3. PS4 and that is based on ease of use, looks and on screen abilities.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

PS4 is not simple. It´s just horrible.

Friend activity:

SETTINGS:

OR STORE:

Also Xbox One UI has more things you can do. Also you can remove and add Apps in your menu. In PS4 menu you have to look up to see friend or go down to see game. Xbox One you can even say without even pressing anything and you get this App(Kinect Voice)

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

ps4. x1 looks so cluttered, they should style it like they did x360 where titles are centred and not cover the whole screen.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Hey TC, could you actually post a picture of the Wii U UI? That isn't it. That is Miiverse. Thank You.

And to be honest, I don't really like any of three consoles UI. The PS4 one sucks. I can't organize anything and I love organizing stuff.

I'm going have to vote Wii U, just because everything is easily accessible and I can somewhat organize my stuff.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Xbox One you can even say without even pressing anything and you get this App(Kinect Voice)

You can do the same on PS4

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

PS4, i don't do shit on these consoles bar play games. The PS4's just lets me get into games the fastest and with the least hassle and that's all i want. The installs have been a lot better than the X1 too.

The only thing is i know the PS4 isn't good at organising stuff, fine for now but i could see it being a pain in the arse in the future once i've got more downloaded games.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

@Basinboy said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Xbox One you can even say without even pressing anything and you get this App(Kinect Voice)

No you can´t.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#31 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6087 Posts

I picked the Xbox One simply because I have never played/seen the PS4/WiiU interface.So I won't judge.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

They are all kind of mediocre. The Xbox One UI is too much like the garbage Windows 8 start window. And PS4 is just a huge step down from the PS3 UI, harder to navigate and with no real added functionality.

They've gone way too much towards more "modern" UI looks, but the problem is that the modern UI look is kind of garbage.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Hopefully the PS4 UI will be user modable at some point, all those interfaces are crap.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50551 Posts

I absolutely hate the X1 UI. Thankfully, I really don't care that much about UI.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Basinboy said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

No you can´t.

You can use voice commands to pull up apps - but not universally, from my experience. Are we talking about different things?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

This is one area that Xbone wins hands down IMO.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PS4 is not simple. It´s just horrible.

Friend activity:

SETTINGS:

OR STORE:

Also Xbox One UI has more things you can do. Also you can remove and add Apps in your menu. In PS4 menu you have to look up to see friend or go down to see game. Xbox One you can even say without even pressing anything and you get this App(Kinect Voice)

1. You really didn't prove anything on the "simplistic" part of your debate by posting these pics.

2. While XBL is more customizable than PSN, I would have to stand on the PSN side for being more simplistic. When you are at your homescreen, you shouldn't have to push another menu button to access your settings.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@farrell2k said:

You should actually post an image of the actual Wiiu interface. It is the most clean and uncluttered.

Yeah that's what I was about to say. I just press x button to get that mii crap off the screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#40  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, for starters, you used the wrong image for the Wii U UI (the one you showed isn't the one you navigate around the system with). This is the Wii U UI. It's pretty simple and basic:

Having said that, I am actually not a fan of any of them-

• The PS4 UI is the best laid out, but it's too basic and barebones, lacking simple sorting and management functions and features such as folders that were present on the PS3. Amazingly enough, the PS4 UI seems to be a regression in terms of well laid out it is with respect to the PS4 UI.
  • The Xbox One UI theoretically is the most versatile and flexible, but as it stands, it's a complete mess. The inconsistent application, thanks to Kinect voice commands, as well as just general obtuse design, mean finding something simple and basic can take ages.
  • The Wii U UI is simple, and theoretically could be the best if on the point gaming is what you wanted. However, multiple considerations flat out make it the worst- the absolutely slow as molasses OS, which means players have to sit through long loading screens every time an application is started or quit (thankfully Quick Start ameliorates this), the lack of folders, and the inconsistent application of controllers (so I can use my Pro controller here, but I have to use my Wii U controller here? Okay, let me get up and get the Wii U controller. Oh, what's that? I can use the Wii Remote in this menu? Oh, **** you too).

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

Xbox One UI is not mess. You can have game, achivements, friends, everything in 1 screen. PS4 you can´t have. You can´t even see game list...

In PS4 you have to go other page to see anything meanwhile Xbox One has all on 1 screen.

Wii U is nice and friendly but too slow.

PS4 Menu is like 2006 menu. Mess, not nice at all, and weird look.

PS4 UI is also very slow.

vs.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

FFS, if you're going to make a comparison, at least use correct images.

But, I think that's asking a lot out of you.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Wii U has the best interface while PS4 has the worst. Just like with the real world, SW has it totally ass-backwards.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Krelian-co

Well another thread backfire from freedomfromfacts. Not surprised, even with the fake info and images.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife - not sure how you expect to compare load times with two still shots...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Gamecube

dat cube.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Well, for starters, you used the wrong image for the Wii U UI (the one you showed isn't the one you navigate around the system with). This is the Wii U UI. It's pretty simple and basic:

Having said that, I am actually not a fan of any of them-

• The PS4 UI is the best laid out, but it's too basic and barebones, lacking simple sorting and management functions and features such as folders that were present on the PS3. Amazingly enough, the PS4 UI seems to be a regression in terms of well laid out it is with respect to the PS4 UI.
  • The Xbox One UI theoretically is the most versatile and flexible, but as it stands, it's a complete mess. The inconsistent application, thanks to Kinect voice commands, as well as just general obtuse design, mean finding something simple and basic can take ages.
  • The Wii U UI is simple, and theoretically could be the best if on the point gaming is what you wanted. However, multiple considerations flat out make it the worst- the absolutely slow as molasses OS, which means players have to sit through long loading screens every time an application is started or quit (thankfully Quick Start ameliorates this), the lack of folders, and the inconsistent application of controllers (so I can use my Pro controller here, but I have to use my Wii U controller here? Okay, let me get up and get the Wii U controller. Oh, what's that? I can use the Wii Remote in this menu? Oh, **** you too).

lol why does everything nintendo do have to look so childish? Just because it's the platform for peter pan doesn't mean it's gottas be for kids. Look at those colours!!!! ROFL My drawings from when I was 2 years old had better color combinationz

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Krelian-co

@chessmaster1989 said:

@FreedomFreeLife - not sure how you expect to compare load times with two still shots...

You should take his word for it.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@parkurtommo: You sound like an insecure teenager. Does that description fit your age group of 14-19?