Where is The Lord of the Rings Open World RPG?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#51 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Lord of the Rings Online.

Blazerdt47

NO.

Sí, Muy bueno.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#52 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Vaasman

NO.

Yes.

Vaasman is correct. if you dont want to play lotro.. then your a whiney crybaby who would b!tch and moan about the game anyway.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

LegatoSkyheart

NO.

Sí, Muy bueno.

tengo un cerdo en mis pantalones

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
I would be happy if they released another game similar to Return of the King. I spent so many hours with that game :)
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

NO.

ionusX

Sí, Muy bueno.

Why do you have a Pig there?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

NO.

ionusX

Sí, Muy bueno.

Then you get extra credit!

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"]I'd like to see any kind of LoTR RPG. sandbox3d

I remember playing some LOTR rpg on the Xbox.. It was basically a FFX clone in terms of its gameplay systems, but it was extremely repetitive and dull.

The Third Age. I quite liked it, but it was incredibly linear and had an awful story.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Vaasman
Yea and I didn't care for it that much.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Oddly enough, the best games since they started making movies have been the ones by EA. Two Towers and Return of the King were jolly good fun, and they helped revive the arcade beat 'em up genre during a time where it was pretty much dead. Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 were also very well made strategy games that did great justice to the LOTR brand, especially the second one. It was when EA tried to make an RPG that they started to falter. If only they had waited until after they'd bought Bioware to make one, things might have been different, but then we got Conquest which was even worse than Third Age, and after that Warner Bros. took back the license. Things have remained pretty bad under Warner Bros., however the one bright spot is Lego LOTR.

Warner Bros. needs to step up and find a good developer to make a Lord of the Rings RPG. It is hardly impossible, but they need a studio that has experience in the genre and can deliver results. I'd like to think Obsidion would be up to the task, however most of their best games have been sequels like KOTOR2 Fallout: New Vegas, so I would not know what to expect from them if they made an LOTR game from scratch.

If warner Bros. wanted to do something truly bold, they would get CD Projekt to develop it. They made Witcher 2 which is one of the best RPGs this gen, and it is also an adaptation from a novel. That would be an LOTR game with epic-levels of badass, and it would be darned pretty on top of it. Can you even imagine an LOTR RPG from the studio that made The Witcher 2?

Y1MaX.jpg?1

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Cherokee_Jack
CD Projekt would want to make it all grimdark though.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#61 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="blackace"]I'd like to see any kind of LoTR RPG. Cherokee_Jack

I remember playing some LOTR rpg on the Xbox.. It was basically a FFX clone in terms of its gameplay systems, but it was extremely repetitive and dull.

The Third Age. I quite liked it, but it was incredibly linear and had an awful story.

I enjoyed it for a bit. The only highlight I remember was the Balrog fight. That was epic and I remember thinking the graphics were so awesome at the time. Eventually it just lost steam though so I never finished it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#62 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

They need to get the devs of Gothic1, Gothic2, Gothic3 and Risen1/2 to make an open world singleplayer lord of the rings rpg imo

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

They need to get the devs of Gothic1, Gothic2, Gothic3 and Risen1/2 to make an open world singleplayer lord of the rings rpg imo

kozzy1234

Silly Kozzy, you know that would never sell and have enough market appeal due to it being 2deep4casuals.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Timstuff
CD Projekt would want to make it all grimdark though.Cherokee_Jack
The movies were pretty grimdark, too. As long as they don't have modern-day profanity, hookers and t1tt13s everywhere, I think they could do a great job.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

The best we have is LOTRO.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Timstuff

The best we have is LOTRO.

Ricardomz
Yeah, but that's not quite good enough. Too bad Warner Bros. shut down the LOTR Skyrim mod. That could have been pretty awesome.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Oddly enough, the best games since they started making movies have been the ones by EA. Two Towers and Return of the King were jolly good fun, and they helped revive the arcade beat 'em up genre during a time where it was pretty much dead. Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 were also very well made strategy games that did great justice to the LOTR brand, especially the second one. It was when EA tried to make an RPG that they started to falter. If only they had waited until after they'd bought Bioware to make one, things might have been different, but then we got Conquest which was even worse than Third Age, and after that Warner Bros. took back the license. Things have remained pretty bad under Warner Bros., however the one bright spot is Lego LOTR.

Warner Bros. needs to step up and find a good developer to make a Lord of the Rings RPG. It is hardly impossible, but they need a studio that has experience in the genre and can deliver results. I'd like to think Obsidion would be up to the task, however most of their best games have been sequels like KOTOR2 Fallout: New Vegas, so I would not know what to expect from them if they made an LOTR game from scratch.

If warner Bros. wanted to do something truly bold, they would get CD Projekt to develop it. They made Witcher 2 which is one of the best RPGs this gen, and it is also an adaptation from a novel. That would be an LOTR game with epic-levels of badass, and it would be darned pretty on top of it. Can you even imagine an LOTR RPG from the studio that made The Witcher 2?

Timstuff

I thought The Two Towers and The Return of the King were amazing. They were some of my favorite games. It's awesome that LEGO LOTR is a step in the right direction but I don't want a LEGO LOTR. It would be pretty amazing to have similar gameplay to ROTK and keep RPG elements and make it a full fledged The Witcher 2 style game.

One can only dream.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#68 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Bethesda. Get on it.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Timstuff
Bethesda. Get on it.Stevo_the_gamer
Bethesda has their own fantasy franchise in TES so I doubt they'd be interested. Warner Bros. would have to throw an ungodly amount of money at them just to get their attention.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Here's a big reason why, there is no magic system in Tolkein's universe. When your average gamer buys a high fantasy RPG, what do you expect for classes?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ChubbyGuy40

Bethesda. Get on it.Stevo_the_gamer

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bethesda. Get on it.ChubbyGuy40

>Implying Elder Scrolls is bad.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ChubbyGuy40

>Implying Elder Scrolls is bad.

LegatoSkyheart

>using meme arrows to imply that series and the developer of that series are anything but complete trash

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Timstuff

Here's a big reason why, there is no magic system in Tolkein's universe. When your average gamer buys a high fantasy RPG, what do you expect for classes?hiphops_savior
Game of Thrones has a similar problem-- moreso, because magic barely even exists in Game of Thrones. Part of why Elder Scrolls is so successful is because it's mythology is written around what works well in a game-- balanced classes, and magic everywhere. With LOTR, it's difficult to make a good game unless you are willing to stretch the mythos a bit further than what many Tolkien fans would consider "kosher."

In LOTR, there are only 5 wizards, and they are a separate race just as humans, elves, hobbits or dwarves are. Humans who practice magic are rare, and most of them are evil. For an LOTR RPG to have a balanced magical class, the game developers would have to set aside Tolkien's mythos and say "well yes, we made human magicians more common, and we made magic in the game more opaque than in the books and movies but we did it for the sake of making a better game." I am not enough of a purist that I would mind, but there are a lot of Tolkien fans who would likely get irritated by it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#75 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bethesda. Get on it.Timstuff
Bethesda has their own fantasy franchise in TES so I doubt they'd be interested. Warner Bros. would have to throw an ungodly amount of money at them just to get their attention.

Well, duh, considering the skill that Bethesda has in developing Godly open-world games, they would be an obvious first choice still (besides, Warner has *a lot* of cash to throw around). Furthermore, exploring via open world of Middle Earth from Eriador to Mordor would be... orgasmic.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bethesda. Get on it.Timstuff

Also Bethesda fancies itself a big-time publisher. If they were to make that game, it wouldn't be for someone else.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bethesda. Get on it.Cherokee_Jack

Also Bethesda fancies itself a big-time publisher. If they were to make that game, it wouldn't be for someone else.

This too. Elder Scrolls has gotten so big that at this point, I'd be surprised if Bethesda doesn't start trying to branch it out into other forms. There are already two Elder Scrolls novels, and I wouldn't even be surprised if they try for a movie eventually. While TES is obviously very Tolkien-inspired, LOTR is also their competition which is why I don't see them making an LOTR game. They stand to make more money with more Elder Scrolls games, and it's in their best interest to grow their own brand rather than someone else's.