Where Does Doom 2016 Rank in the list of Greatest of all time FPS?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

Hi,

So my dear and lovely friends, New Doom is released and raise the bar high for FPS genre recently. but where do you think it will rank? Will it be classic in future? will it consider to be revival of FPS genre? lets discuss the influnce of this masterpiece.

I personally think its Best AAA FPS since Crysis 1. it is the game that open the door for other games in FPS genre and success of this game will lead to better future of FPS instead of same stale coll of doty and Battlefeelds.

Lets Discuss

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

It'll rank pretty low. Like I said in another thread today, it's too repetitive. I couldn't play more than one mission at a time. It wasn't a very challenging game either. With that being said the fast paced, excellent gunplay is a nice mechanic. It was very responsive. And finding secrets and weapon mods kept things interesting. I'd give it a 7.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Middle of the road. Good game. Not among the greatest.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

It hasn't even been out a month and its already 20 bux, this game didn't have long legs at all.

The original Doom was a huge deal for a very long time and had huge legs.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Im thinking its in the top 7 of all time. Why not, its a fantastic game. And thats extremely rare for a shooter nowadays.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58912 Posts

Haven't played enough of it to say, but from what I have played, Shadow Warrior was better.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Shadow Warrior was better.

not in any shape or form. Shadow warrior has terrible gunplay while Doom Gunplay is FEAR tier

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

not in any shape or form. Shadow warrior has terrible gunplay while Doom Gunplay is FEAR tier

The only useful weapon is Doom is the shotgun.

Shadow Warrior is far more balanced requiring a multitude of skills and weapons.

Overall it's better, which is great.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I'd say down there. I was completely hyped for this game and I bought it on the release day but I have yet to finish it...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

At the very opposite of Shadow Warrior, which means it's among the best while SW is among the worst.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

it's stood out more due to there being so few quality fps around in recent years imo. its hardly the most memorable of experiences, particularly when the formula for each mission seems to be not much more than let's introduce a new, more difficult to kill enemy, then let's quadruple the amount of new enemies we introduced in the previous mission and let's do it against a similar looking backdrop but maybe adjust the colour palette slightly. fun, but not a classic

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Conan's really high on the game, I trust his taste, he likes good things. Personally I've always done the one game per series thing (kind of stupid i guess, but whatever), so if it's as good as OG Doom 1? Shit, it's damn near the top. Chances of anything in the modern era being that good? Not very high. There is a purity to Doom 1 that makes it exciting to go back to all these years later, it's kind of like going back to Mario. Simple, clean, satisfying Game. What a concept.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I found it a bit repetitive to be honest. Fun but glad I got it on sale

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

It's fun, it's a callback to old school FPS. But that's like calling late Egyptian art good just because it calls back to the Old/Middle Kingdom.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Shadow Warrior is far more balanced requiring a multitude of skills and weapons.

I'm finding I agree. Doom is great. I don't spank the bone to it like TC does, but it is great entertainment.

But shotgun, glory kill is all you need pretty much.

Shadow Warrior was plain fun to switch up weapons.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cainetao11

@jg4xchamp said:

Conan's really high on the game, I trust his taste, he likes good things. Personally I've always done the one game per series thing (kind of stupid i guess, but whatever), so if it's as good as OG Doom 1? Shit, it's damn near the top. Chances of anything in the modern era being that good? Not very high. There is a purity to Doom 1 that makes it exciting to go back to all these years later, it's kind of like going back to Mario. Simple, clean, satisfying Game. What a concept.

Cant agree with you on this. I own Doom 1&2 with my BFG on Steam. It was fun for a bit due to nostalgia and me and a buddy sharing memories of when we first played it but I couldn't stay with it. It just isn't all that entertaining anymore.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

It's better than Half Life 2, I'll say that.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp

@cainetao11 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Cant agree with you on this. I own Doom 1&2 with my BFG on Steam. It was fun for a bit due to nostalgia and me and a buddy sharing memories of when we first played it but I couldn't stay with it. It just isn't all that entertaining anymore.

Sure it is, where modern games are fun for how much more complex they've gotten, or how atmospheric they can be, or what stories or they tell, or whatever. Doom was easy for me to go back to, because it's still good on a very fundamental level. To me it's no different than being able to go back to a Nintendo game. It's still mechanically enjoyable, it controls nicely, the gamefeel is ace to this day, and the levels are actually well thought out for how that game plays (unlike parts of Doom 2, which I think has moments that are hard for the sake of being hard, and not an actual good challenge).

Which is what I was implying by the Mario comparison. There is a pure gameness to it, kind of like going back to Tetris or playing Pacman Championship DX. Pure, unadulterated game, which on the triple A side unless it is Nintendo, we don't get those with any regularity. Things are more story driven or a little bit more "we do a bit of everything" and rightfully so, the market dictated that's where the money is at.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cainetao11

@jg4xchamp said:
@cainetao11 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Sure it is, where modern games are fun for how much more complex they've gotten, or how atmospheric they can be, or what stories or they tell, or whatever. Doom was easy for me to go back to, because it's still good on a very fundamental level. To me it's no different than being able to go back to a Nintendo game. It's still mechanically enjoyable, it controls nicely, the gamefeel is ace to this day, and the levels are actually well thought out for how that game plays (unlike parts of Doom 2, which I think has moments that are hard for the sake of being hard, and not an actual good challenge).

Which is what I was implying by the Mario comparison. There is a pure gameness to it, kind of like going back to Tetris or playing Pacman Championship DX. Pure, unadulterated game, which on the triple A side unless it is Nintendo, we don't get those with any regularity. Things are more story driven or a little bit more "we do a bit of everything" and rightfully so, the market dictated that's where the money is at.

I got the point. I fired up Sonic the Hedgehog not long ago. I played 15 minutes haven't gone back since. Small bursts for me and some old games. They just do not hold me anymore. Now Deus Ex, Jade Empire, Half Life, MGS I can go back to and play play play. To each their own my friend.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Great game, but I prefer the more tactical approach that Crysis 1 and Warhead had. Those are still probably my top single player FPS games. Well, Stalker series might be tied with them, and then Metro series is right behind that.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jg4xchamp

@cainetao11 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I got the point. I fired up Sonic the Hedgehog not long ago. I played 15 minutes haven't gone back since. Small bursts for me and some old games. They just do not hold me anymore. Now Deus Ex, Jade Empire, Half Life, MGS I can go back to and play play play. To each their own my friend.

Well yeah, those games provide context, they give reasons for why a lot of the gameplay exist. Not trying to pigeonhole your taste, but I say you respond to narratives and stories that can easily get you invested, or are fun. Half the reasons jrpgs aren't your shit, I'd say is just as much how silly everything is and how incoherent the visual direction is.

Me, I'm cool with whatever aesthetic so long as the mechanics are enjoyable. Not saying I can't dig a game for other reasons, but the games i respond to the best, tend to be more mechanically my thing. Or so good on the mechanics, that I don't even care if the story is several layers of stupid (Bayonetta for instance lol).

Speaking of which play Mankind Divided yet? I still need to finish through some other stuff before I'm gonna give Mankind Divided a go.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Doom definitely beat shadow warrior. Though i feel like Shadow Warrior 2 stands a chance at dethroning doom as the best modern shooter in the past 5 or 6 years.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cainetao11

@jg4xchamp: Yeah, I started it last night. Played a couple of hours. It looks great, and has started off interesting. I'm busy tonight getting my uncle to airport but hope to get into more later tonight.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Great game, but I prefer the more tactical approach that Crysis 1 and Warhead had. Those are still probably my top single player FPS games. Well, Stalker series might be tied with them, and then Metro series is right behind that.

Crysis is not tactical Shooter. its sandbox shooter with nanosuit gameplay.

Stalker is hybrid.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

for what it aimed to be it is nearly perfect....its up there with the greats I would say. Its an easy recommendation I often make to friends. i guess the story could have been better, but i didnt get this game for the story

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I haven't played it yet but I'll get there. Someone please tell me it is absolutely nothing like Shadow Warrior. I hated the original, the recent remake was one of the most boring and vacuous games ever made and I'm pretty sure the sequel will be full of shit too.

Anyone played SW (current gen) and Doom 2016 who can comment?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@cainetao11 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I'm finding I agree. Doom is great. I don't spank the bone to it like TC does, but it is great entertainment.

But shotgun, glory kill is all you need pretty much.

Shadow Warrior was plain fun to switch up weapons.

Yep.

Ignoring Shadow Warrior, having played Far Cry 4 recently enjoyed that alot more as well. Lots of different options how to do to play with lots of activities, big (if still very similar) improvement over 3.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I love the mechanics and gameplay and impressed by how great it looked and performed. Though I want more, I'd love a SP expansion, or another game.

It's weaknesses though, I really didn't like the bosses, they leave something to be desired. They definitely need to work on increasing enemy variety and more challenging battles.

Overall a very fun and gory game. One of my favorites for the year.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@blueinheaven: I'm playing Shadow Warrior right now and hate it, and Doom is one of the best FPS games I've ever played. A lot of it makes you wonder how SW did so much wrong on so many core aspects to its arena shooter roots.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Crysis is not tactical Shooter. its sandbox shooter with nanosuit gameplay.

Stalker is hybrid.

Okay, mr. semantics.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It doesn't rank anywhere. It's barely been out a couple months. Come back to it in 5-7 years and we can make a proper conclusion about it's longevity and quality.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Chances are he is high on something else when playing the game so not sure how much his judgment can be trusted.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Very lazy game. Maps with AI spawn and nothing else. No story, no missions, nothing. Boring shooter. Not even top 100

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Not even top 50 probably. It's a good game. Solid 7/10. Level design is ass and the multiplayer is pointless. The gameplay is incredible though

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@mems_1224 said:

multiplayer is pointless.

because its not MP game?

I have not tried MP yet because everytime i tried i have to wait for ages for 3 people before i connect. last time i waited for more than half hour since then i didnot even give it try.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I rate it as pretty average, I enjoyed my play though but I don't see myself ever playing though it ever again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It is an odd beast, It keeps most of what made the originals good, while being a very modern game. That clash is a bit odd. I would not say that is in the top 10, but it certainly is in the top 20.

It is not that it has pacing issues, but rather that it is so overly active that I tend to be a bit mentally exhausted after playing.

Oh and the MP is pretty damn average at best.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@mems_1224 said:

because its not MP game?

I have not tried MP yet because everytime i tried i have to wait for ages for 3 people before i connect. last time i waited for more than half hour since then i didnot even give it try.

then it shouldn't have been in the game

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FreedomFreeLife

@ghosts4ever said:
@mems_1224 said:

because its not MP game?

then why there is multiplayer? single-player was meh. even worse than call of duty because call of duty every map was different and had different type missions and story but in here it's just huge empty boring map and AI just spawn front of you and all you do is just run, shoot, run, shoot.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

Probably in my top 10 or top 20 list of best FPS I've ever played.

Still many FPS I rank better:

Half Life, Crysis, Day of Defeat, RTCW, MOHAA, Half Life 2

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Very lazy game. Maps with AI spawn and nothing else. No story, no missions, nothing. Boring shooter. Not even top 100

The story is you don't care about the story or lenghty cutscenes and just want to shoot stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

No where

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FreedomFreeLife

@R4gn4r0k said:

Probably in my top 10 or top 20 list of best FPS I've ever played.

Still many FPS I rank better:

Half Life, Crysis, Day of Defeat, RTCW, MOHAA, Half Life 2

@FreedomFreeLife said:

The story is you don't care about the story or lenghty cutscenes and just want to shoot stuff

just wanna shoot stuff? this is same like people goes to cinema and watch transformers movie only because of action scenes. this proves how bad game is just to shoot stuff that spawn front of you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@FreedomFreeLife said:

just wanna shoot stuff? this is same like people goes to cinema and watch transformers movie only because of action scenes. this proves how bad game is just to shoot stuff that spawn front of you.

Well for one I love silly shooters and games that don't take themselves too seriously.

On the other hand I hate garbage like Transformers movies.

So I wouldn't call it the same. In order for a game to be entertaining it needs to have a lot of fun gameplay. Something DOOM has a plenty.

In order for a movie to be entertaining I feel it should try to tell an interesting story without treating you like a moron. So no explosions every 5 seconds, beautiful side character that add nothing to the story, and no flashbacks to something that happened 5 seconds ago :/

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Come on, it wasn't that good. The gunplay was fast paced and worked really well but the rest of the game was samey and pretty shit tbh.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

I

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@mems_1224 said:

because its not MP game?

then why there is multiplayer? single-player was meh. even worse than call of duty because call of duty every map was different and had different type missions and story but in here it's just huge empty boring map and AI just spawn front of you and all you do is just run, shoot, run, shoot.

If we were to go back and play Return To Castle Wolfenstein very much an old school game on the cusp of the new. By contrast it has excellent pacing. Constant fire-fights but never barraging the player to the point of redundancy, with an astounding multiplayer having a justified existence. To this day, still played.

Doom seems mainly praised by the younger gamers who grew up on a diet of Halo and Metriod Prime. Possibly going back for 10 minutes to play Doom 2 to pay homage and then claiming they understand it.

It's more a pew pew game, than one that requires any skill or thinking. Even the pew pew aspect is undermined by severe imbalance and what is tantamount to press X to win.

Loading Video...

Really, if you just want to shoot stuff mindlessly, without the nuance or thought of a much better game like Shadow Warrior, just mod Serous Sam 3 to fix it's poor weapons. This also has terrible pacing, but at least it throws a billion enemies on screen.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FreedomFreeLife

@uninspiredcup said:

I

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@mems_1224 said:

because its not MP game?

If we were to go back and play Return To Castle Wolfenstein very much an old school game on the cusp of the new. By contrast it has excellent pacing. Constant fire-fights but never barraging the player to the point of redundancy, with an astounding multiplayer having a justified existence. To this day, still played.

Doom seems mainly praised by the younger gamers who grew up on a diet of Halo and Metriod Prime. Possibly going back for 10 minutes to play Doom 2 to pay homage and then claiming they understand it.

It's more a pew pew game, than one that requires any skill or thinking. Even the pew pew aspect is undermined by severe imbalance and what is tantamount to press X to win.

Loading Video...

Really, if you just want to shoot stuff mindlessly, without the nuance or thought of a much better game like Shadow Warrior, just mod Serous Sam 3 to fix it's poor weapons. This also has terrible pacing, but at least it throws a billion enemies on screen.

It's understandable why this became a budget game so soon, it's vapid.

I love Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Balanced single-player game. I love sound, design, gameplay and story. But for me Doom is same like Sam 3 game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 uninspiredcup  Online

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@mems_1224 said:

because its not MP game?

Loading Video...

It's understandable why this became a budget game so soon, it's vapid.

I love Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Balanced single-player game. I love sound, design, gameplay and story. But for me Doom is same like Sam 3 game.

I agree. Sexy Nazi's with incredible strafing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

I

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@mems_1224 said:

because its not MP game?

Loading Video...

Serious sam 3 is incredibly bornig, bland and dull shooter. and play more like console shooter. the game has no pacing at all.

I love RTCW. one of my fav of all time. but Doom surpassed it imo.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

Serious sam 3 is incredibly bornig, bland and dull shooter. and play more like console shooter. the game has no pacing at all.

I love RTCW. one of my fav of all time. but Doom surpassed it imo.

I dunno, I love the progression in RTCW. You are fighting normal soldiers, female nazi super soldiers, all the way up to occult monsters in RTCW.

For DOOM it's mostly hell stuff, which in itself is very cool. But it's a major throwback to old DOOM games.

Plus RTCW had that amazing multiplayer.

RTCW > DOOM