When you brag about sales, you have to take into account marketing budget

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheMISCMan48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheMISCMan48
Member since 2010 • 315 Posts

I made this thread, and it got locked for the fanboyish way I formatted it, so I will recreate it with less bias. this is an important discussion for system wars.

When you compare the sales of two titles, you MUST take into account how much money was allocated for the games advertising budget. Two of the most common games that fanboys like to compare every game's sales up to, are Halo 3, and Modern Warfare 2. Games like Killzone 2 are constantly belittled by fanboys of the 2 former franchises as being "crap" because their game "sold" more. What these fanboys fail to take into account is the fact that not only did Microsoft spend $200 Million dollars marketing Halo 3:

While the $55 million spent on making Halo 3 pales into insignificance compared to the$200 million Microsoft reportedly spent on marketing the game.

But that Activision gave Modern Warfare 2 a $200 LAUNCH advertisment campaign (that and the stimulus and resurgance map packs had their own seperate marketing campaigns).

Call of Duty [Modern Warfare 2] cost $40 million to $50 million to produce, people close to the project said, about as much as a mid-size film.Including marketing expenses and the cost of producing and distributing discs, the launch budget was $200 million, on par with a summer popcorn movie -- and extremely high for a video game.

All compared to Sony's measly£2 million advertisment campaign (Im from the US, but think thats about $4 Million USD).

Now, it is foolish and silly to compare a game like Killzone 2 to Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2 in terms of sales considering this. Now, this has NOTHING to do with the quality of the titles here, but to sit here and say that Halo 3 sells so well because its just that damn good, is just rediculous. Especially since games like Uncharted 2 scored higher than both of them on almost every site, yet sold less, should be enough to show you that sales are indicative of NOTHING more than the size of a games marketing budget.

Discuss.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Sony's fault.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Nintendo didn't advertise the Wii as much as Sony(ps3) or Activision(MW2) and the wii sold like hot cakes.
DarkStraberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkStraberry
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
For Sony, you forgot to add Kevin Butler's salary.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

I made this thread, and it got locked for the fanboyish way I formatted it, so I will recreate it with less bias. this is an important discussion for system wars.

When you compare the sales of two titles, you MUST take into account how much money was allocated for the games advertising budget. Two of the most common games that fanboys like to compare every game's sales up to, are Halo 3, and Modern Warfare 2. Games like Killzone 2 are constantly belittled by fanboys of the 2 former franchises as being "crap" because their game "sold" more. What these fanboys fail to take into account is the fact that not only did Microsoft spend $200 Million dollars marketing Halo 3:

[quote=""]While the $55 million spent on making Halo 3 pales into insignificance compared to the$200 million Microsoft reportedly spent on marketing the game.TheMISCMan48

But that Activision gave Modern Warfare 2 a $200 LAUNCH advertisment campaign (that and the stimulus and resurgance map packs had their own seperate marketing campaigns).

Call of Duty [Modern Warfare 2] cost $40 million to $50 million to produce, people close to the project said, about as much as a mid-size film.Including marketing expenses and the cost of producing and distributing discs, the launch budget was $200 million, on par with a summer popcorn movie -- and extremely high for a video game.

All compared to Sony's measly£2 million advertisment campaign (Im from the US, but think thats about $4 Million USD).

Now, it is foolish and silly to compare a game like Killzone 2 to Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2 in terms of sales considering this. Now, this has NOTHING to do with the quality of the titles here, but to sit here and say that Halo 3 sells so well because its just that damn good, is just rediculous. Especially since games like Uncharted 2 scored higher than both of them on almost every site, yet sold less, should be enough to show you that sales are indicative of NOTHING more than the size of a games marketing budget.

Discuss.

Not sure how its foolish or silly considering the variation in sales... The marketing for MW2 was easily made up for by the 15 million or so sales. Compare that to the 1-2 million in sales for killzone 2? MW2 pulled in greater profit even with that excessive ad campaign so what exactly are you getting at? That Advertising means sales? As someone already mentioned in this thread, blame sony for being cheap with marketing. Had they viewed their property stronger than they could have pulled 10 million sales as well.
Avatar image for YankeesNYC4life
YankeesNYC4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 YankeesNYC4life
Member since 2010 • 235 Posts

well, it works doesnt it? mw2 was hyped like crazy and sold like crazy, so did left 4 dead 2, so did uncharted 2. i think if they are spending alot on advertising for a game chances are the game is really good.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

At the end of the day, you still can't play sales. So I'll take the 5 games that sold 2 mil each instead of the 1 game that cashed in 10 mil.

People seem to enjoy it here though.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fightingfan

At the end of the day, you still can't play sales. So I'll take the 5 games that sold 2 mil each instead of the 1 game that cashed in 10 mil.

Gxgear
Yes, yes you can. If a game sells well you're likly to get a sequel. Look at Valkyria Chronicles PS3 gamers can't see a good RPG when they get one so it went to the Psp.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Fightingfan

Yes, yes you can. If a game sells well you're likly to get a sequel. Look at Valkyria Chronicles PS3 gamers can't see a good RPG when they get one so it went to the Psp.

There's examples of games on both sides of that argument, not to mention VC's still getting a sequel.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

For Sony, you forgot to add Kevin Butler's salary. DarkStraberry

I hear he works for hot pockets and soda.

Blaze-Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Blaze-Agent
Member since 2010 • 1951 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Fightingfan

yes you name one bad example. the same could be said for alan wake. lost oddyssey.et.c. these games might never see a sequel

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Blaze-Agent

yes you name one bad example. the same could be said for alan wake. lost oddyssey.et.c. these games might never see a sequel

then what was that thread regarding an alan wake sequal?

Blaze-Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blaze-Agent
Member since 2010 • 1951 Posts

[QUOTE="Blaze-Agent"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Yes, yes you can. If a game sells well you're likly to get a sequel. Look at Valkyria Chronicles PS3 gamers can't see a good RPG when they get one so it went to the Psp.TheShadowLord07

was it confirmed? No i dont think so. until its formally announced then anything is possible.

LucLongleyMVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LucLongleyMVP
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

So umm who's fault is it that companies don't like spending money on games they need people to buy? Everyone has the capability to spend money on marketing a game. Sony/Nintendo/MS all have the option. Its not MS's or Activisions fault that Sony is too cheap to properly market their games.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
[QUOTE="Blaze-Agent"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Yes, yes you can. If a game sells well you're likly to get a sequel. Look at Valkyria Chronicles PS3 gamers can't see a good RPG when they get one so it went to the Psp.TheShadowLord07

And then there's Resistance 3.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
So umm who's fault is it that companies don't like spending money on games they need people to buy? Everyone has the capability to spend money on marketing a game. Sony/Nintendo/MS all have the option. Its not MS's or Activisions fault that Sony is too cheap to properly market their games.LucLongleyMVP
No one's saying it is. It's just that when fanboys brag about big sales which resulted from epic advertising, they ignorantly act as if it was from word-of-mouth alone when they use them to bash a high-rated exclusive with lower sales on another system .
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

was it confirmed? No i dont think so. until its formally announced then anything is possible.

Blaze-Agent

it was confirm that story is being written for alan wake 2

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SUD123456  Online
Member since 2007 • 6974 Posts

Advertising cannot move a lousy product beyond mediocre sales. Word of Mouth.

A great product can benefit from advertising, but it may not even be necessary. Word of Mouth.

A good product can benefit greatly from advertising, or it can languish without advertising, or somewhere in the middle. Word of Mouth.

Notice the common denominator. This is because consumer goods follow some form of the Bass Model.

If all that mattered was advertising, every product would have massive advertising and would succeed. We have known this for 41 years.

/thread

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Microsoft and Activision have enough faith in their developers to spend that much money on marketing. Sony, it seems, doesn't. That's the truth. Or they lack the resources, which is even worse.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

Sony's fault.

GreenGoblin2099
if a game costs 60 million to produce isnt it foolish to spend triple the amount on advertising...? the games sell enough in shops with little advertising...people who know what games to buy will buy without any ads. the ads is for people who dont know games or parents who see a game on tv and say 'oh, i will buy it for my son, since if its shown on tv and not another game i will buy it' its foolish to think like that buts thats how advertising works.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Yes, yes you can. If a game sells well you're likly to get a sequel. Look at Valkyria Chronicles PS3 gamers can't see a good RPG when they get one so it went to the Psp.Fightingfan
According to Shuntaro Tanaka, the producer of the series, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is on the PSP for two reasons:

1) They wanted to get a game out quickly to capitalize on the VC anime and manga.

2) They wanted to expand the userbase (in Japan) and thought the PSP was a good vehicle to do so.

And the producer would like to continue making Valkyria Chronicles on both the PS3 and PSP.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
So it's Sony's fault that they don't advertise. I don't get the point of this thread :? Regardless of how you try and spin it, PS3 is last. Look at Wii Sports Resort, how much did they advertise it and how much did they sell?
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

I may have misunderstood your whole rant, but let me take a jab at it. When talking about how popular a game is, you just look at the number of copies sold, not the amount of money the companies make. Modern Warfare sold "more than 20 million units". That is ridiculously good. Even if you take marketing into account, you say the total budget was about $200 million, they made way more than the cost of the game. However, since you are talking money, you have to remember the royalty fees the company need to pay to have their games on consoles, plus whatever manufacturing costs their were. Marketing plays a VITAL role in the success or failure of a game, so that should be taken into account like you said. Although, you seem to want to show that CoD's publishers lost money because of how much they spent, when they did the exact opposite in fact. With great marketing, you can sell people rocks and make millions, which unfortunately has happened before.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Yes, yes you can. If a game sells well you're likly to get a sequel. Look at Valkyria Chronicles PS3 gamers can't see a good RPG when they get one so it went to the Psp.shinrabanshou

According to Shuntaro Tanaka, the producer of the series, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is on the PSP for two reasons:

1) They wanted to get a game out quickly to capitalize on the VC anime and manga.

2) They wanted to expand the userbase (in Japan) and thought the PSP was a good vehicle to do so.

And the producer would like to continue making Valkyria Chronicles on both the PS3 and PSP.

And according to Epic games the PS3 can't handle Gears of war. Point? Developers Lie heck Kojima said he used blue-ray to the fullest he didn't even use 35GBs.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

No. When I brag about sales, all I have to do is brag about sales.