When will you upgrade to next gen consoles?

• 78 results
Posted by Pandadropkicks (384 posts) 1 month, 25 days ago

Poll: When will you upgrade to next gen consoles? (89 votes)

Day 1 30%
Within a year 28%
Within 2 years 15%
2 years or more 12%
Never 15%

For me, I’ll most likely wait at least a year, as I’m currently perfectly happy with my XoX. So unless a killer new game or something comes out exclusive to next gen, I think I’ll save my money. What about you, SW? (Please explain your answer)

#1 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

I will upgrade, it will depend on my finances at the time. Probably go with Sony again but I have loyalty only to myself, so if they are clearly lagging behind I'll go with MS or just upgrade my PC again.

#2 Posted by Howmakewood (5950 posts) -

When it has games I want to play

#3 Posted by Ant_17 (12712 posts) -

2 years.

#4 Posted by phbz (4573 posts) -

I'm not sure. Depends, usually I buy a console when there's something I wanna play but with them being back-compatible chances are I'm going to get the new Xbox at launch.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (7330 posts) -

Still havnt been tempted by ps4 or xbox one so unlikely.

#6 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

2 years

#7 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

I think my X1X will do for another couple years.

#8 Posted by sakaiXx (5897 posts) -

PS5, within 2 years.

#9 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10469 posts) -

When people see that games are 60fps on the new consoles vs 30 on current ones, they will upgrade. It's the biggest reason why I'll upgrade within a year after launch.

#10 Posted by Pandadropkicks (384 posts) -

@joshrmeyer: I have a feeling a lot of games will still be at 30 FPS. Developers seem to favor other aspects over frame rate

#11 Edited by Fedor (5268 posts) -

@joshrmeyer: AAA next gen console games will be 30fps, just like always.

#12 Posted by Heirren (2215 posts) -

@fedor:

Possibly, but i think depending on where VR sits there may be a push for higher framerates. Like that video shows with the next gen lighting; a game at 1080p can look a whole lot better than one at 4k.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#13 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3332 posts) -

I need 2 of each day 1!

#14 Posted by Megavideogamer (6506 posts) -

Day 1 For Playstation 5 Since I bought Playstation 4 day one. I got lucky since my original launch console still works perfectly, I also bought the Playstation 4 Pro day one. Which also works just fine. Launch console often die. That was a good time to buy at launch for the original PS4 since a very short time later the price of PS4 went to $450.00 for a short time after launch. Currently PS4 sells for $379.99 brand new.

In contrast Xbox 360 died on me, when though 2 of them, Sigh. Playstation 3 was $600.00 at launch, I didn't get the fabled 60 Giger till much later for $250.00. That console still works perfect which is a astounding. The first PS3 I bought was the launch version of the Playstation 3 40GB for $400.00 since that was the first instance of the "just right" price point. I also jump at the Xbox 360 S Gears of War special edition console with 2 controller and the Game of Gears of War 3 included. For $400.00

So Playstation 5 and Xbox scarlet Anaconda will be expensive at launch which is a given. $500.00 for each? Keep in mind that the Playstation 3 20 Giger was $500.00. So at least 500 bucks gets you more in 2019.

So Playstation 5 day one, Xbox 4 Scarlet will be next even though Halo 6 will be a launch game. The finally followed by whatever Nintendo comes up with when they decide to"pull a Nintendo" for a Switch successor.

Video gaming is a expensive hobby I will get all of the 9th generation consoles but PS5 will be first. Unless Microsoft launches a year ahead of Sony like in 7th Gen. So will see what Sony and Microsoft can do for $500.00

#15 Edited by BassMan (10551 posts) -

I will most likely get a PS5 at launch. It won't be an upgrade though. It will be inferior to PC and redundant. It will just be another console I have to waste money on to play exclusives.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#16 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1617 posts) -

I'm thinking to buy Xbox Scarlett and PS5 around 2021 (20th anniversary of Xbox brand at that time).

#17 Posted by Archangel3371 (28365 posts) -

Well I will get at least one next gen system day one and get the other systems a bit later on perhaps. It all depends on how close to each other they launch.

#18 Posted by Sevenizz (4013 posts) -

I plan on buying the next Xbox Day One!

#19 Posted by Random_Matt (4290 posts) -

Hopefully a 3080 next summer, Xmas come early.

#20 Edited by uninspiredcup (34310 posts) -

#21 Posted by Xabiss (2853 posts) -

I will day one the new PS and Xbox when it comes out. I will day one if Nintendo releases a beefier Switch. Hell I will day one if the PS5 does another mid gen upgrade. I day one any console I have interest in.

#22 Posted by ThatDBFan (416 posts) -

Voted Day 1. Not sure If I'll be going MS or Sony first, but with the way things are going for Xbox, I might get the Scarlett first. With halo infinite being a launch title, and Fable 4 being leaked to be in development.

#23 Edited by Subspecies (665 posts) -

Day one without a doubt. PSVR will get a huge upgrade the day the PS5 releases, as the original headset is fully compatible and is powered solely by the console itself. That alone is a huge reason for me. And then there's Sony exclusives...

#24 Posted by Bluestars (189 posts) -

I voted day one, but I might hang back for any Xmas deals that include a game or two

I have been gaming at native 4k 30/60 hdr since 2017 through the X so the need to see what native 4k looks like is not a thing I need day one.

#25 Posted by osan0 (15452 posts) -

i will probably upgrade from my PS3 to the PS5 within a year of its release. raid the PS4 backlog during the traditional post launch lull.

#26 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10469 posts) -

@fedor: @pandadropkicks: It's possible but I have a feeling next gen will be less about resolution and more about frame rate and obviously load times. 4k should be easy to reach, as should 60 fps. I could be wrong, but wasn't TLOU originally 30fps then got the 60fps treatment with the remaster? As was Uncharted 1-3? I can see there being a 60fps option at least for most games.

#27 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19147 posts) -

I'll definitely upgrade (Scarlett and Switch "Pro"), but not sure about day 1.

#28 Posted by Pedro (35417 posts) -

New tech is always exciting. Most likely Day One since both companies will be supporting existing games at launch.

#29 Edited by pmanden (687 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Agreed. The X is a solid console and games look pretty darn amazing on a big 4k screen. I think it will take some time before the new consoles have games that will make the X look totally outdated. Probably the best underrated console I have ever bought.

#30 Posted by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -
@SecretPolice said:

I think my X1X will do for another couple years.

Wrong answer!

You're supposed to say, "Scarlet Day fvcking 1 baby, feel the true powah of X!"

I'm telling Phil and then he'll send you a nasty email and block you on social media, then you'll be sorry.

#31 Posted by DaVillain- (37469 posts) -

"Within a year" once the genie pigs test the system out to make sure everything is okay for a purchase.

#32 Posted by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -
@pandadropkicks said:

@joshrmeyer: I have a feeling a lot of games will still be at 30 FPS. Developers seem to favor other aspects over frame rate

@fedor said:

@joshrmeyer: AAA next gen console games will be 30fps, just like always.

Out the gate? lol no!

Framerate is a BIG push for next gen consoles. Both Sony and MS are going to push for devs to have all games be at least 60fps out the gate.

What you have to remember is there is going to be a lot of cross gen development going on before ground up next gen games get pushed. There really isn't anything this gen that should be a problem for next gen consoles to reach 60fps with those ryzen 2 CPUs.

Even if there are PS5 exclusives the first batch should be able to reach 60fps.

Now 2 or 3 years in with ground up next gen games, it may be more difficult to reach that number but smart resolution adjustments could easily still allow for higher frame rates on most titles.

#33 Posted by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -
@davillain- said:

"Within a year" once the genie pigs test the system out to make sure everything is okay for a purchase.

#34 Posted by blamix (862 posts) -

Day 1 or within a year for me

#35 Posted by Zero_epyon (13329 posts) -

Likely Day 1 if the price is right.

#36 Edited by Fedor (5268 posts) -

@boxrekt: 4k is GPU bound so the Zen 2 will mean little to frames. Frame rate will depend on the developers and what level of fidelity they're shooting for. Since console players like pretty graphics and RT is the new craze, 30 fps will be the AAA standard. They could do performance modes at lower resolutions and have higher fps if they choose to.

#37 Posted by Zero_epyon (13329 posts) -
@davillain- said:

That's why I don't bother waiting. It comes with a 1 year warranty so should there be issues I'll just get it replaced.

#38 Posted by 04dcarraher (23222 posts) -

@fedor said:

@boxrekt: 4k is GPU bound so the Zen 2 will mean little to frames. Frame rate will depend on the developers and what level of fidelity they're shooting for. Since console players like pretty graphics and RT is the new craze, 30 fps will be the AAA standard. They could do performance modes at lower resolutions and have higher fps if they choose to.

Yep, 4k+ is mostly all on the gpu. The Ryzen CPU is going to allow more complex game worlds.

#39 Posted by lundy86_4 (53619 posts) -

I'm gonna see what's offered at launch. If nothing is too enticing, then i'll wait for 6-months to a year or so.

#40 Edited by DaVillain- (37469 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

That's why I don't bother waiting. It comes with a 1 year warranty so should there be issues I'll just get it replaced.

I would buy it day one if I only knew what Sony has to offer when it comes to launch games of course. But I'm fine waiting a year later since I still have lots to do on PS4 before I'm ready to step into PS5.

Edit: Oh my, I'm just noticing you have a new avatar lol. Nice.

#41 Posted by Zero_epyon (13329 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I would buy it day one if I only knew what Sony has to offer when it comes to launch games of course. But I'm fine waiting a year later since I still have lots to do on PS4 before I'm ready to step into PS5.

lol thanks.

#42 Posted by Random_Matt (4290 posts) -
@Zero_epyon said:
@davillain- said:
@Zero_epyon said:

lol thanks.

Wondering if that is you sharpening the axe.

#43 Posted by ProtossRushX (5611 posts) -

PS5 day one im not gonna wait an miss out ever again sony is too godly

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#44 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (13680 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

PS5 day one im not gonna wait an miss out ever again sony is too godly

Lmao

#45 Posted by Speeny (1878 posts) -

I honestly am not in any hurry. I'd be surprised if I even get a PS5. Really the only and probably final games I'll be playing on the PS4 will be the FF7 remake episodes. Though, in saying that I might wait until they're all released...and play them on the PS5 potentially. Over the years I haven't gotten any good use out of my PS4...

These days I have just been happy playing the Switch & a few games on Steam.

#46 Posted by Zero_epyon (13329 posts) -
@Random_Matt said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@davillain- said:
@Zero_epyon said:

lol thanks.

Wondering if that is you sharpening the axe.

No just a dramatization lol

#47 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

probably with in a year or two, depending what they offer

#48 Posted by I_P_Daily (12303 posts) -

@davillain- said:

A genie pig, does it give you 3 wishes if you rub its belly???

You're just not cool enough to be a GUINEA pig lol

#49 Posted by Vaidream45 (2002 posts) -

Usually about two years into the consoles life. The only time I broke that pattern was when I bought a Wii the first week and a Switch about a month after release. I have a pc so I can keep up with 3rd party games and usually don’t buy a new PlayStation until there are 4 or 5 must play exclusives.

#50 Posted by DaVillain- (37469 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

A genie pig, does it give you 3 wishes if you rub its belly???

You're just not cool enough to be a GUINEA pig lol

Awww, he's just too cute🤗