When will the media (game sites) start looking at the ps3 in a favorable light ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
I think Lair , Heavenly Sword , and Warhawk , (despite being good/great) won't get any love from Gamespot/1UP and they will probably just shrug their shoulders for some reason. Even after they all come out , they will still be asking the questions about why would anyone want one a ps3.

The two games that they will probably be talking about are .....

Ratchet and Clank Future

and LittleBigPlanet

I just wanted to prepare people.

Agree , disagree ?

hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
As soon as there is a reason to look at them in a good light.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
I've said it a million times but I guess I can say it again... The reason why Sony is getting sh*d on right now is because of their BIG FREAKING MOUTHS!!!  "The next gen doesn't start til we say it does..", "The Xbox 1.5..", ect... ect... Had sony just been honest and showed off the capabilities of the PS3, people would be alot more forgiving.  As it stands we were shown trailers such as Tekken 6, Killzone and motorstorm and none of them have lived up to the hype (yet in some cases).   Meanwhile the 360 keeps pumping out hit after hit... 
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
Probably never and you can thank Sony for their "next-gen doesn't start until the PS3 is out" nonsense.
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xbox_PWNS_YOU
Member since 2004 • 939 Posts

When the PS3 has enough great exclusive games for it that make it worth its $600 price tag.

So...not until mid-late 2008 when MGS4 and FF13 and hopefully some other great exclusives by then.

In short, don't hold your breath.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
You are worried about those first games you listed because you know they are probably A like Motorflop. You are excited about these other two games because the hype is strong for them right now and one is based off a solid AA-AAA franchise. I don't know if LBP is going to survive the "oh its so cute and pretty" initial reception unless they do something about the gameplay. Another thing is they have been talking about those other games for two years now. They can only ring the bell so much. Too many delays on those three titles. A lot of cows thought they would be out by March. Now they don't have a clear release date at all and no one has gotten to play them. Basic no shows at GDC. Sony isn't giving them much to work with.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Quite simply, when there's something favorable to look at.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
Ratchet and Clank will likely be fun, and Heavenly Sword shows some real promise, but I don't really see why Lair and Warhawk are getting hyped. Lair looks less than spectacular (gameplay wise) in my opinion and I'm 99% sure that Warhawk will be terrible in comparison to what people are expecting out of it. I didn't mention LBP because I'm not sure what to think of it yet and I want to give it a fair shake.
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xbox_PWNS_YOU
Member since 2004 • 939 Posts

Ratchet and Clank will likely be fun, and Heavenly Sword shows some real promise, but I don't really see why Lair and Warhawk are getting hyped. Lair looks less than spectacular (gameplay wise) in my opinion and I'm 99% sure that Warhawk will be terrible in comparison to what people are expecting out of it. I didn't mention LBP because I'm not sure what to think of it yet and I want to give it a fair shake.mattbbpl

I never like Dynasty Warriors

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
You are worried about those first games you listed because you know they are probably A like Motorflop. You are excited about these other two games because the hype is strong for them right now and one is based off a solid AA-AAA franchise. I don't know if LBP is going to survive the "oh its so cute and pretty" initial reception unless they do something about the gameplay. Another thing is they have been talking about those other games for two years now. They can only ring the bell so much. Too many delays on those three titles. A lot of cows thought they would be out by March. Now they don't have a clear release date at all and no one has gotten to play them. Basic no shows at GDC. Sony isn't giving them much to work with.JiveT
Well , even if they all score AA ....they won't see the ps3 as being any different at that time. That is what I am trying to convey here. They wouldn't seem to have a vested interest in playing any of those games for themselves , but the other 2 they might.

MaTT2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MaTT2011
Member since 2005 • 3949 Posts
The system is $600; which means that the games need to be so good as to justify that price point. Take that in combination with the fact that the competition offers the same or more for far less and you can imagine the perspective that consumers currently have. For much less money i can get a 360 which already has a huge library of vastly superior games. For even less i can get a wii which offers gameplay that cant be achieved on any other system; because of this even ports are getting new life and gameplay which excites people familar with certain franchises like tiger woods, monkey ball, metal slug....etc.. It strikes a good balance between old and new and still offers gaming experiences that are levels above the competition. In comparison most ps3 games look like glorified ps2 games; same gameplay but better graphics...........for $600. Thats just not good enough.
thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
as soon as sony starts getting their act together...
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
You are worried about those first games you listed because you know they are probably A like Motorflop. You are excited about these other two games because the hype is strong for them right now and one is based off a solid AA-AAA franchise. I don't know if LBP is going to survive the "oh its so cute and pretty" initial reception unless they do something about the gameplay. Another thing is they have been talking about those other games for two years now. They can only ring the bell so much. Too many delays on those three titles. A lot of cows thought they would be out by March. Now they don't have a clear release date at all and no one has gotten to play them. Basic no shows at GDC. Sony isn't giving them much to work with.JiveT
All of those days are coming out in 2007. LBP has already proven it has a superb approach to gameplay. Why do you think it was received so well at GDC? Which also brings me to the GDC point. LBP, Home, Edge demonstrations, and Killzone demonstration. We've got open-ended, interesting, and creative game development with high integration of physics, user-generated content, and online sharing. We've got an online world wherein we can interact with others, share content, and expand our online experience. We've got a developer outreach through edge, development tools and promises that third-party support is in the works. We've got tech demos, visual demonstrations, and examples on what the technology is capable and how to tap into it. We've got just about everything but some brand new games. But he just showed you these. MGS4, Killzone, Heavenly Sword, Drakes Fortune, Ratchet and Clank, Warhawk, and Lair will all make a splash this year. The point is, the only thing that received a word from this tight-lipped website was Killzone (and that's because it's something Xbox fans are widely worried about, since its seen as the deciding factor). You have absolutely nothing to compare with so many of these titles. Motorstorm was great. Let's see, widely praised for superb physics, graphics, and incredibly rich and explosive gameplay? Wow, sounds like a flop to me. Sounds more like a deficiency in content. That can be fixed. The core gameplay is all there, waiting to be expanded upon. And let me tell you something, it really is a great game. Play the full version of it, please. I don't want to read crap like that again. You know what, I played Gears. I didn't like it. At all. But I'm not going to sit here and say it's a bad game because I know people love it and I don't personally own it. There is much to love in the Playstation 3. Unfortunately, that's been dampened by a huge amount of delays in third-party titles. That's about all. There's plenty to get excited about. And, duh. GDC was a whopping success.
akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are worried about those first games you listed because you know they are probably A like Motorflop. You are excited about these other two games because the hype is strong for them right now and one is based off a solid AA-AAA franchise. I don't know if LBP is going to survive the "oh its so cute and pretty" initial reception unless they do something about the gameplay. Another thing is they have been talking about those other games for two years now. They can only ring the bell so much. Too many delays on those three titles. A lot of cows thought they would be out by March. Now they don't have a clear release date at all and no one has gotten to play them. Basic no shows at GDC. Sony isn't giving them much to work with.Nike_Air
Well , even if they all score AA ....they won't see the ps3 as being any different at that time. That is what I am trying to convey here. They wouldn't seem to have a vested interest in playing any of those games for themselves , but the other 2 they might.

sony's pr team is to blame. they made 100% hype and delivered about 50% performance. so i'd say it's sony's own fault.
axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 axt113
Member since 2007 • 2777 Posts
When the PS3 has something worthwhile
FFKi11er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FFKi11er
Member since 2005 • 820 Posts
[QUOTE="MaTT2011"]The system is $600; which means that the games need to be so good as to justify that price point. Take that in combination with the fact that the competition offers the same or more for far less and you can imagine the perspective that consumers currently have. For much less money i can get a 360 which already has a huge library of vastly superior games. For even less i can get a wii which offers gameplay that cant be achieved on any other system; because of this even ports are getting new life and gameplay which excites people familar with certain franchises like tiger woods, monkey ball, metal slug....etc.. It strikes a good balance between old and new and still offers gaming experiences that are levels above the competition. In comparison most ps3 games look like glorified ps2 games; same gameplay but better graphics...........for $600. Thats just not good enough.

The ps3 is used for more then just gaming. $600 is not bad for what you get out of the box.
MaTT2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MaTT2011
Member since 2005 • 3949 Posts
[QUOTE="FFKi11er"][QUOTE="MaTT2011"]The system is $600; which means that the games need to be so good as to justify that price point. Take that in combination with the fact that the competition offers the same or more for far less and you can imagine the perspective that consumers currently have. For much less money i can get a 360 which already has a huge library of vastly superior games. For even less i can get a wii which offers gameplay that cant be achieved on any other system; because of this even ports are getting new life and gameplay which excites people familar with certain franchises like tiger woods, monkey ball, metal slug....etc.. It strikes a good balance between old and new and still offers gaming experiences that are levels above the competition. In comparison most ps3 games look like glorified ps2 games; same gameplay but better graphics...........for $600. Thats just not good enough.

The ps3 is used for more then just gaming. $600 is not bad for what you get out of the box.

But when people are looking to get a gaming system those extra features really dont mean much; its true that you are getting a lot of technology but the main tech, which causes the ps3 to be so expensive, is just another means to get consumers to spend MORE money to use it. The blu-ray player is worthless for a gaming system; and if you want to use it for movies you still have to BUY those movies which increases the cost of the system. All that technology is useless unless it makes your gaming experience BETTER; and in the case of the ps3 it DOESNT........when it comes right down to it it just adds more and more cost. When ps3 games get reviewed, and when consumers are considering buying a ps3 and a game, the fact that a blu ray player is in there doesnt mean jack.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Redfingers
[QUOTE="MaTT2011"]The system is $600; which means that the games need to be so good as to justify that price point. Take that in combination with the fact that the competition offers the same or more for far less and you can imagine the perspective that consumers currently have. For much less money i can get a 360 which already has a huge library of vastly superior games. For even less i can get a wii which offers gameplay that cant be achieved on any other system; because of this even ports are getting new life and gameplay which excites people familar with certain franchises like tiger woods, monkey ball, metal slug....etc.. It strikes a good balance between old and new and still offers gaming experiences that are levels above the competition. In comparison most ps3 games look like glorified ps2 games; same gameplay but better graphics...........for $600. Thats just not good enough.

Don't try and say that Wii has good games. They have one title that achieved AAA on one website...Warioware. It got a 7.something in Gameinformer. Yeah, Rayman looked kind of cool and apparently Trauma Center is okay, but there is simply nothing on the system that meets Zelda right now. Plus: play Excite Truck, then play Motorstorm, and try and find the glorified step-up you're looking for. Xbox 360 has good games. It has Oblivion, Call of Duty, GRAW, Gears of War, and Rainbow Six. But you know what, 4 of those titles are multiplatform. Therefore, you can stack Resistance and Motorstorm versus Gears of War and call them even. But that still leaves the price difference. Wii and PS3? You've got a ridiculously powerful processor, a far superior GPU, better quality and quantity in RAM, USB ports, HDMI, HD gameplay, online gameplay, arguably a better game selection, and Blu Ray movies. Versus the Wii controller, which is only somewhat more functional than the PS3 controller, and some first-party cool-looking Nintendo titles. I'd say it's worth the price difference there. Then, the price difference between the Xbox 360 and the PS3. You've got what can be considered comparative value in games (I will give you that it is arguable...for example, Mass Effect looks stupendous, however, MGS4? Let's not play that game, and just give eachother credit). You've got absolute HD superiority in HDMI, full surround sound support (which, while you may not realize it, is AWESOME), HD movies (obviously a fully competitive rate at $200), free online ($50 a year), and competitive online functionality (with Home). So there you go. Do the games have to be comparable? No. I've got my justification in that, assuming you like HD movies, and subscribe to the internet for 2 years minimum, you've spent $100 more than I have for arguably less. Are the games good? Yes. So good they make you overlook the price point? For some people, and for some games. The first party games are looking superb. But these have been mentioned. I don't care if you look into them. I think the variance between Xbox 360 will begin to appear, then widen shortly. It's already happening. So the showing initially was a little weak. No big deal, doesn't make the Playstation 3 not worth it. But you're absolutely entitled to your own purchase. However, I completely disagree that Fight Night Round 3, Resistance Fall of Man, and Motorstorm are "glorified PS2 games." Take another look, would you? You've got physics and processing calculations galore in Motorstorm and Resistance, which affect the gameplay in a lot of different directions. Use the Auger, the Hailstorm, the hedgehog grenade...you're just not paying close enough attention. Notice the environmental destruction, the AI, the HUGE environments all populated with no less than a hundred characters at time, all filled with visual effects. Also, planes flying overhead and enemies running out of crooks in the environment...it's absolutely a different experience from any Playstation 2 game I've ever played. Motorstorm has environmental manipulation on a level I have yet seen on any game I have played, ever. The physics are superb, the handling for each of the vehicles is wonderful and they each behave realistically and as one might expect. There is a depth of gameplay because of it, simple as that. Fight Night 3, as I'm sure you might have discovered on your favorite game system, offers a new experience as well. Except, on mine, muscles ripple, and veins bulge, making it clear this is a visibly different experience. Add in a surround sound set up and you've got something particularly different. Boxing is something that's difficult to emulate in a video game, but with this game you get very close to feeling each hit. It's superb. Another hit for gameplay in next-generation gaming. The Xbox 360 was the one that left me that impression. The Xbox 360 was the console that made me go back home to my PC and laugh, realizing I spent less money cumulatively and came out with a completely similar experience. Guess what? I spent 200 dollars in the last year to upgrade my PC, and it plays Call of Duty 2 beautifully. Far better looking than its 360 counterpart. It is the 360 that took a while to "wow," unless you came straight from a PS2 or an Xbox. Kameo? Lol. The particle effects, the physics and AI calculations, the environments, etcetera. It's not just more. There is a serious scope, a cinematic vision that you're ignoring here. I'm not saying it's not available in the competition. But it's absolutely wrong to say it's absent in the PS3. And it's only getting clearer. Watch the video for Ratchet and Clank. If you do that, I'll take a look at Mass Effect. Of course, I'm just kidding. I've already seen Mass Effect. I'm impressed. The 360 is capable. It just took a tremendous amount of time for it to become that way. I was always glad I never made the purchase, and only now am I regretting it. The only thing that continues to make me question my purchase of the Playstation 3 is how the media tears it to pieces. Nothing else makes me question it (besides delays in third-party videogames, which should change with the application of Edge tools).
FFKi11er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FFKi11er
Member since 2005 • 820 Posts
[QUOTE="MaTT2011"][QUOTE="FFKi11er"][QUOTE="MaTT2011"]The system is $600; which means that the games need to be so good as to justify that price point. Take that in combination with the fact that the competition offers the same or more for far less and you can imagine the perspective that consumers currently have. For much less money i can get a 360 which already has a huge library of vastly superior games. For even less i can get a wii which offers gameplay that cant be achieved on any other system; because of this even ports are getting new life and gameplay which excites people familar with certain franchises like tiger woods, monkey ball, metal slug....etc.. It strikes a good balance between old and new and still offers gaming experiences that are levels above the competition. In comparison most ps3 games look like glorified ps2 games; same gameplay but better graphics...........for $600. Thats just not good enough.

But when people are looking to get a gaming system those extra features really dont mean much; its true that you are getting a lot of technology but the main tech, which causes the ps3 to be so expensive, is just another means to get consumers to spend MORE money to use it. The blu-ray player is worthless for a gaming system; and if you want to use it for movies you still have to BUY those movies which increases the cost of the system. All that technology is useless unless it makes your gaming experience BETTER; and in the case of the ps3 it DOESNT........when it comes right down to it it just adds more and more cost. When ps3 games get reviewed, and when consumers are considering buying a ps3 and a game, the fact that a blu ray player is in there doesnt mean jack.

first let me see a 360 game running at 1080p from start to finsh, then i'll admit that blu ray is not need. i cant see dvd9 storing a full 1080p game.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Redfingers
[QUOTE="MaTT2011"][QUOTE="FFKi11er"][QUOTE="MaTT2011"]The system is $600; which means that the games need to be so good as to justify that price point. Take that in combination with the fact that the competition offers the same or more for far less and you can imagine the perspective that consumers currently have. For much less money i can get a 360 which already has a huge library of vastly superior games. For even less i can get a wii which offers gameplay that cant be achieved on any other system; because of this even ports are getting new life and gameplay which excites people familar with certain franchises like tiger woods, monkey ball, metal slug....etc.. It strikes a good balance between old and new and still offers gaming experiences that are levels above the competition. In comparison most ps3 games look like glorified ps2 games; same gameplay but better graphics...........for $600. Thats just not good enough.

I didn't buy anything to watch any of the Blu Ray movies I've been watching. I upgraded my Netflix account for free, and now I get them in the mail. And I'm glad I am. Question: are you aware that Resistance: Fall of Man required 22 gigabytes of space on the Blu Ray disc? Are you aware that Heavenly Sword, even after compressing everything, still takes up 19 gigabytes, and isn't even going to be finished until May? Hideo Kojima recently requested the 50 gig model of Blu Ray because the audio he requires brings it well past the capacity of the original Blu Ray disc, which contains 25 gigabytes. None of these games are capable in their current form on a standard 9gb DVD. I know that when I play these games I will find plenty of instances that my gameplay was altered by the inclusion of Blu Ray technology in the PS3.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redfingers
Ratchet and Clank will likely be fun, and Heavenly Sword shows some real promise, but I don't really see why Lair and Warhawk are getting hyped. Lair looks less than spectacular (gameplay wise) in my opinion and I'm 99% sure that Warhawk will be terrible in comparison to what people are expecting out of it. I didn't mention LBP because I'm not sure what to think of it yet and I want to give it a fair shake.mattbbpl
You haven't given any of those games a fair shake. And how would you? You clearly don't own a Playstation 3. I will address Little Big Planet because apparently no one here understands what it's about. After watching the video I can tell you that the gameplay will be highly interesting, deep, and player-motivated. Most everything involved in the game is physics based. Have you ever played Half Life 2? I am as impressed with how this game is coming together as I was with Half Life 2 when I discovered just how interesting the physics were (I spent no less than an hour playing on the virtual playground). There's going to be a huge amount of content, because it's all player generated, beyond the default levels that will be provided by the developer. May I ask that you take a look at this. http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4491
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]You haven't given any of those games a fair shake. And how would you? You clearly don't own a Playstation 3. I will address Little Big Planet because apparently no one here understands what it's about. After watching the video I can tell you that the gameplay will be highly interesting, deep, and player-motivated. Most everything involved in the game is physics based. Have you ever played Half Life 2? I am as impressed with how this game is coming together as I was with Half Life 2 when I discovered just how interesting the physics were (I spent no less than an hour playing on the virtual playground). There's going to be a huge amount of content, because it's all player generated, beyond the default levels that will be provided by the developer. May I ask that you take a look at this. http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4491

I've seen the trailers to LBP and I've been keeping up on the other games that I "didn't give a fair shake." Even if I owned a PS3 I couldn't have played them because they're not out yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not informed. As I said, Ratchet and Heavenly Sword could be very good. They at least look interesting. But Lair looks pretty dry IMO and Warhawk is such a troubled project that it's not even funny. It looked like it might of ended up being a decent title in the early days, but it's recent news is not heartening.

As far as LBP is concerned, I do understand what it's about. Quite frankly, it looks like the PS3's version of Elebits (which isn't to say it's bad, but it seems to me like it will be a very niche title).
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Redfingers
To say Elebits is nothing like LBP is a complete and utter understatement. I think that the reception provided for it at GDC proves it will not be a niche title. Lair could be crap. I'll give you that. But I don't expect it to be. Warhawk hasn't had the worst news in the planet...WoW, DoD, RO, CS:S, Battlefield, etc. Plenty of games follow that online-template, and they are by no means a failure. Multiplayer-only is not a death sentence, as long as it's good. Everything I've seen regarding the game's multiplayer component is at least somewhat interesting. Assuming it all comes together it may fill a void in the Playstation lineup. The only bad news is that the single-player component, according to the developers, was not up to snuff. The good news was they removed it. I'll hope there is no more bad news.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
When it's affordable.