When is a console worth the price tag?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 XL83
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

To me, a console is worth the money when you buy enough games for it to meet or surpass the price of the machine.

Example: if a Wii costs $250, and games cost $50 (for arguments sake), then once you have 5 great games, your machine has essentially been "paid for".

There are exceptions (I would buy a separate console just to play GTA, even if that's the only game it could ever play), but in general, I think if you spend more on software than on hardware, you made a good purchase.

Thoughts?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

A console is worth the price tag when you can justify its cost to what it can conceivably give you in terms of entertainment. For example, to me the 360 was worth $400 at launch for what it offered me, the Wii was worth $250 after I was able to see what kind of innovation came with it, and lately the PS3 has called to me that $500 is worth it for a few of its games, Blu-Ray, and its upcoming line up.

It will naturally differ from person to person, and each person will have a different criteria for judging a systems value/worth.

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
I don't think applying a formula works, because the values of different games are different to different people. Some people like JRPGs, and think that FF 13 and vs 13 are worth a PS3 alone. Some people are Halo fans and will buy a 360 just for that one game. The point is, simply counting pricetags doesn't work. Sometimes you just have to get a console when you look at what's out there and you decide what's right for you. Again, three different consoles, three different sets of games and mentalities.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
It all depends on the person.
joeblak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 joeblak
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
That's also how I determine whether a console is worth its price-tag. So far, the only console that will "pay" for itself is the 360.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
At about what the PS2 is right now, or a few years earlier.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

At about what the PS2 is right now, or a few years earlier.Ragnarok1051

You may never own a current gen system if that is your criteria.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]At about what the PS2 is right now, or a few years earlier.SpruceCaboose

You may never own a current gen system if that is your criteria.

We're almost 2 years in and I wouldn't buy one yet. I would buy one in another year.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

when im having a ton of fun with the system.

360 at the price i bought it on launch was a mistake, i wasnt having that much fun back then, but as the year went on it got much,much,much better.

Wii has allready gotten me 3 games i liked alot.

TP, SPM and MP3.

and considering SSBB, SMG, FE, and BWii are coming out soon thats another 4 games plus the 3 i allready have making it 7 in a 1 year and a month span.

Not bad for a secondary console.

y2kzorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 y2kzorak
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

An item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, and as such, is subjective. This is why you get people who would pay $1500 for a PS3 at Christmas, and then you have people like me who wouldn't even consider it until it's less than $250.

So I guess what I'm saying is, a console is worth the price tag when you buy it.

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XL83

I'm not stating that this is a tried-and-true formula, I'm just telling you how it often works for me.

If you have a different set of criteria, by all means, share it. Some people will buy a console for one game. Others will hold off until there are dozens of worthwhile titles out before they take the plunge.

ginglejangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ginglejangle
Member since 2007 • 3171 Posts
when it has the games you want
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
I don't agree with that. Soley because i probably only buy 3-4 games a year, cross platform(DS and Wii ATM)

So, really for me, once theres about 1 or 2 worthwhile games that you would have gotten even if there were other great games out to buy, its time to get the console. Thats why i got my DS. I got MKDS and SM64. Thats why i got my Wii. LoZ TP, and (didn't end up getting SPM due to being broke, but it was the 2nd reason i got it)SPM.

But it all depends on the person. Also, waiting 6-12 months is almost manditory. Launch systems are never the ones to get. Either its hardware problems or an inevitable price drop. However with some, neither are a problem that can or will be fixed within the year, so yuo have no option.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
When you decide to take them to the check out stand.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

"When is a console worth the price tag?"

When its GOD60. :|

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XL83

I don't agree with that. Soley because i probably only buy 3-4 games a year, cross platform(DS and Wii ATM)

So, really for me, once theres about 1 or 2 worthwhile games that you would have gotten even if there were other great games out to buy, its time to get the console. Thats why i got my DS. I got MKDS and SM64. Thats why i got my Wii. LoZ TP, and (didn't end up getting SPM due to being broke, but it was the 2nd reason i got it)SPM.

But it all depends on the person. Also, waiting 6-12 months is almost manditory. Launch systems are never the ones to get. Either its hardware problems or an inevitable price drop. However with some, neither are a problem that can or will be fixed within the year, so yuo have no option.
Goten_king

No, no, no. You're misinterpreting. I wasn't asking if you agree with my methodology for determining if my console was worth the money or not. I was just stating what I tend to weigh out, and asking how you determine whether a console is "worth it" or not. You still answered my question (succintly and coherently, I might add), but I think you misinterpreted what I was saying to some extent.

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XL83

"When is a console worth the price tag?"

When its GOD60. :|

JiveT

Helpful, as always, JiveT. Glad you could make it.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Sorry, TC, but when you get a Blu Ray player, wi-fi, and free internet, you have to factor that into the equation.

Additionally, for some worthwhile games out now on PS3, go ahead and take a look at XL83's sig....then, fill in the gaps. Then you've got a worthwhile console.

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XL83

That's also how I determine whether a console is worth its price-tag. So far, the only console that will "pay" for itself is the 360.joeblak

Yep, you could be right. Personally, I think the PS3 lineup already has enough to keep me glued to my TV, but I can see how Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword might not be your bag. Warhawk, imo, is everyone's bag, but not a worthy reason to buy a whole console.

360 has Gears, Forza, BioShock, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, Halo, ME... those all appeal to me, which is why I will be snapping up a 360 before Xmas.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
When it got games that justify the price.
XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XL83

Sorry, TC, but when you get a Blu Ray player, wi-fi, and free internet, you have to factor that into the equation.

Additionally, for some worthwhile games out now on PS3, go ahead and take a look at XL83's sig....then, fill in the gaps. Then you've got a worthwhile console.

Redfingers

Oh, absolutely, but I'm leaving it out of this one for the sake of argument (and for the sake of pre-empting some unnecessary ones). As a console and Blu-ray player with some good games, free online R:FOM and vast potential, the PS3 was worth it right out of the box, to me.

My sig should be updated to include Heavenly Sword, but PS3tags wasn't working.