When Great Developers go BAD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

Ok for me as a PC gamer this is depressing.

Company 1: RazorWorks

They made the excellent Enemy Engaged helicopter combat sim in 2000. So good its stil played today and until blackshark comes out the best combat heli sim out there.

Now days they make Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe, Ford Street Racing. Not exactly the best games.

http://www.razorworks.com/games.html

Company 2: volition

They made descent and the brilliant space sim FreeSpace 2. Again Freespace 2 is still been played, and as the source code was released loads of free space sims have been developed, including one for battlestar galactica and a babylon 5 one.

Not that bad, they made the Punisher and Saints Row. Again far from their glory days.

http://www.volition-inc.com/

Company 3: Shiny

Man these guys were great they made sacrifice, messiah and mdk

then it went wrong, they made the god awful Matrix games and their last game was the Golden Compass. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

As a PC gamer all i see are once great PC developers move to the consoles and turn s&*t.

Makes you appreciate Valve, Blizzard, bioware, rockstar, companies that are still making great games.

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts

Rare

in the nintendo 64 era they were gods, then microsoft bought it and BARELY made any games, not so good anyway

i hope banjoo will be as awsome as the first one

oldvander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 oldvander
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

They made the excellent Enemy Engaged helicopter combat sim in 2000. So good its stil played today and until blackshark comes out the best combat heli sim out there.

Now days they make Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe, Ford Street Racing. Not exactly the best games.

They made descent and the brilliant space sim FreeSpace 2. Again Freespace 2 is still been played, and as the source code was released loads of free space sims have been developed, including one for battlestar galactica and a babylon 5 one.

Not that bad, they made the Punisher and Saints Row. Again far from their glory days.

then it went wrong, they made the god awful Matrix games and their last game was the Golden Compass. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

As a PC gamer all i see are once great PC developers move to the consoles and turn s&*t.

Makes you appreciate Valve, Blizzard, bioware, rockstar, companies that are still making great games.

crozon

I thought the port of red faction 1 on ps2 was excellent. red faction 2 was poor, but 1 was great!

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts
I use to go to Sega on Sundays, but then I found out it was nothing more than a myth...
Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts

Rare

in the nintendo 64 era they were gods, then microsoft bought it and BARELY made any games, not so good anyway

Kirlok

They havent gone that far downhill. Kameo was alright and Viva Pinata kicked major ass

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts

Sometimes you have to work with what you have and make the best of it. They have to pay their bills and those were the games that were going to make money for them.

Also the games Rare has made on the 360 are decent and or above average. I played Perfect Dark Zero the other day at a friend's house and was surprised how good the bot play was. It was fun.

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

Epic

...and any one else who dares slander the great PC GAMING!

:evil:

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
[QUOTE="crozon"]

oldvander

I thought the port of red faction 1 on ps2 was excellent. red faction 2 was poor, but 1 was great!

yeah, especially the mp mode, it was my first ever mp game :). I wonder if people are still playing it.

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts
[QUOTE="Kirlok"]

Rare

Waffle_Fish

They havent gone that far downhill. Kameo was alright and Viva Pinata kicked major ass

dam i forgot about those 2 and i own them:P

yeah not saying they are bad, just not that awsome

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

crozon
you mentioned rockstar and bioware....yet u state that the reason those certain developers went bad is mainly because they started making games for consoles.....lol hyporcrisy
BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts
Didn't Volition make Red Faction 1+2 aswell? I loved both those games.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
How, in a thread like this, does Factor 5 not get mentioned?
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
i think capcom is starting to work there way in there. i mean DMC4 was good but it was still a disappointment along with LP and they've completely ruined the resident evil franchise by making it into another shooter
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
Who ever says Rare, I wonder if they've played Viva Pinata.
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

yeah i mentioned bioware and rockstar because they make great games. Despite the platform.

But the 3 i mentioned seemed to become crap since they moved to consoles. Really if they stuck with PC gaming, who knows they would still become s$%t or gone bust,

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dante2710
i think capcom is starting to work there way in there. i mean DMC4 was good but it was still a disappointment along with LP and they've completely ruined the resident evil franchise by making it into another shooterRagashahs
what? RE series started becoming stale and old as heck....capcom did a great job with re4
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

Factor 5...had an AAA title for Gamecube launch.

They made Lair for PS3...

Also, I have a feeling we can add Silicon Knights to that list when Too Human turns out to be awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
Volition shouldn't be in there, Saint's Row was great!! And the company that comes to mind is Sega :s
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
[QUOTE="Kirlok"]

Rare

Waffle_Fish

Let's be honest here... Rare is only a shadow of its former self.

Doesn't mean they still can't make good games though.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ragashahs
[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i think capcom is starting to work there way in there. i mean DMC4 was good but it was still a disappointment along with LP and they've completely ruined the resident evil franchise by making it into another shooterDante2710
what? RE series started becoming stale and old as heck....capcom did a great job with re4

what? RE was great teh way it was they could have added elements to it instead of completely changing the gameplay and making a shooter fest. this is not RE no matter what you say. RE is a survival horror not a shoot em up game with zombies. if you are a true RE fan you should be outraged
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dante2710
[QUOTE="Dante2710"][QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i think capcom is starting to work there way in there. i mean DMC4 was good but it was still a disappointment along with LP and they've completely ruined the resident evil franchise by making it into another shooterRagashahs

what? RE was great teh way it was they could have added elements to it instead of completely changing the gameplay and making a shooter fest. this is not RE no matter what you say. RE is a survival horror not a shoot em up game with zombies. if you are a true RE fan you should be outraged

im a RE fan, and RE4 was def fresh and something that was needed......i was tired of running around, with dumbass AI and lost in long and pointless puzzles........now......im a bit concerned with re5 becoming too much action and no survival horror in it whatsoever....hopefully capcom can balanced things out
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ragashahs
[QUOTE="Ragashahs"][QUOTE="Dante2710"][QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i think capcom is starting to work there way in there. i mean DMC4 was good but it was still a disappointment along with LP and they've completely ruined the resident evil franchise by making it into another shooterDante2710

im a RE fan, and RE4 was def fresh and something that was needed......i was tired of running around, with dumbass AI and lost in long and pointless puzzles........now......im a bit concerned with re5 becoming too much action and no survival horror in it whatsoever....hopefully capcom can balanced things out

considering the RE4 was pretty much all about action and not really about survival horror i doubt RE5 will be any different
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts

Factor 5...had an AAA title for Gamecube launch.

They made Lair for PS3...

Also, I have a feeling we can add Silicon Knights to that list when Too Human turns out to be awful.

AvIdGaMeR444

IF it turns out to be awful. People who aren't wearing fanboy goggles can actually see the potential in this game.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
You had a great post going until you tried to somehow say that it's the consoles' fault that these games are bad. :|