When do you think Nintendo will axe the Wii U?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by emgesp (7590 posts) -

Ok, now that we found out Nintendo isn't announcing a successor this year I'm curious to know how much longer you guys think Nintendo will support the Wii U? I mean is it really wise to continue green lighting AAA exclusives for a dead console 2 years from now? The Wii U is just bleeding money at this point. I mean do they honestly believe Mario Kart, Smash and Zelda have the potential to save the Wii U?

Personally, I think if sales don't pickup by the end of the year then Nintendo should just pull the plug.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34544 posts) -

Not this early if that's what you're wondering. That is committing business suicide. Doing that will kill any consumer loyalty they had.

#3 Edited by emgesp (7590 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Not this early if that's what you're wondering. That is committing business suicide. Doing that will kill any consumer loyalty they had.

Yeah, but is the install base big enough to support this console 2 years from now? Can the Wii U really survive off an install base of about 5-6 million? Is that really enough to justify green lighting more AAA exclusives for the console?

#4 Posted by hotdiddykong (2098 posts) -

I dont know ask the Gamecube and N64

#5 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

At E3 when they announce their new console.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/rumor-nintendo-revealing-new-hardware-at-e3-25585

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#6 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (25771 posts) -

Did anyone seriously think they would announce a NEW SYSTEM as a way to what...further destroy all future wii U sales? I mean come on.

#7 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

their own games sell well though and that's all they have ever cared about.

#8 Posted by Heil68 (57960 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/rumor-nintendo-revealing-new-hardware-at-e3-25585

Nintendo already stated no new hardware.

#9 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Nintendo already stated no new hardware.

Damn son I saw that too after I posted it, I've been EXPOSED lol =[

#10 Posted by emgesp (7590 posts) -

@hotdiddykong said:

I dont know ask the Gamecube and N64

Here's the problem. The Wii U is selling half as well as those two consoles did at this point in time.

#11 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1495 posts) -

Nintendo can't pull the plug on the Wii U. When they pulled the plug on the Virtual Boy, it was acceptable because it wasn't a major sell like a home console is. The home consoles are too big of an attraction in comparison to handhelds. If Nintendo pulled the plug on the 3DS tomorrow, it wouldn't attract as much attention as the Wii U would. Home consoles are always looked as the "Major Product" while the handhelds are branded the "Minor Products", no matter if it sold better or not. Not only would Nintendo make themselves look bad to corporate businesses in the future, but they will also make themselves look awful in the eyes of current and future customers.

#12 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

I'd guess the Wii U probably has 2 years left in it at the very least, 3.5 years at the very best.

#13 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

their own games sell well though and that's all they have ever cared about.

Dough is the only thing that matters yo!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22797 posts) -

Lmao you thought they were going to announce a successor?

#15 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
@ConanTheStoner said:

I'd guess the Wii U probably has 2 years left in it at the very least, 3.5 years at the very best.

Then they will release a system that's slightly better than the ps4/x1, and all the sheep will eat it up, proclaim it a comeback with full third party support.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

#16 Edited by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

Lmao you thought they were going to announce a successor?

Considering the types of assumptions and predictions that float around this board, that's not too incredibly far out lol.

#17 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Then they will release a system that's slightly better than the ps4/x1, and all the sheep will eat it up, proclaim it a comeback with full third party support.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

Ha, maybe. Nintendo has always been slow to correct mistakes, but they can also be damn unpredictable.

Truly a Jekyll and Hyde of a gaming company. Super safe and predictable one moment, bat shit crazy the next.

#18 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

I can't wait till sony goes bankrupt and cows have to eat their words.

#19 Edited by whatsazerg (1111 posts) -

Fall 2016 Nintendo's new machine will be on store shelves. That will have given the Wii U 4 years, short for a console cycle, but that's how long the original XBOX lasted.

This way... Nintendo can leapfrog Sony & MS's consoles in processing power, and it will be far too early for Sony & MS to have an answer for it.

OR... who knows... Nintendo might just ride it out... increase sales by putting out quality games.... their sales will in the end be far lower than the Wii's, but could still ultimately be a win for them financially if they sell 30-40 million units in its lifespan. This actually seems like the more likely option.

I really only bought a Wii U to get my Mario, DK & Zelda fix... and If any other great games come out for it, well that's great, but if they don't... meh, still got Mario, Zelda & DK.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#20 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (25771 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

Never happening. Ever.

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#22 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5272 posts) -

#23 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@inb4uall said:

Never happening. Ever.

Let a boy dream, will ya!

#24 Posted by Raptor_Herc (330 posts) -

2018; 6 years, just like pretty much every home console of theirs.

#25 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@inb4uall said:

Never happening. Ever.

I wouldn't be so sure.

#26 Edited by Speak_Low (2248 posts) -

Judging by that other thread where Nintendo confirms that there will be no new hardware this E3 (and all of the disappointed posters in that thread), it seems as if even the Sheep themselves desire more sweeping, radical action from Nintendo right now. The sagging Nintendo ship needs a new gust of wind, but looks like it's going to be another year of the same Nintendo (which ironically disappoints them, lol)

If you ever suggested last year that the Wii U get axed early - one of those necessary, bloody sacrificial acts - in order to give way to another revitalizing next-gen successor that's actually competitive with PS4/X1, you'd be attacked for even whispering those words.

"Nintendo is fine! They have money to last 50 years!! Wii U will turn around this holiday just watch!"

Now, there seems to be a much more relaxed attitude towards this idea of a successor so soon after the Wii U, because the signs are so unmistakably clear (which they stubbornly ignored).

Nintendo is in serious financial trouble and so is the Wii U's future. This console is having trouble competing with PS4/X1 and even the 360/PS3. It's not making new money or restoring lost money. Wii U needs to go soon. It didn't work and Nintendo should just swallow their pride and either try another console (will cost them billions though), or start calling Sony and MS. If the latter ever happens and we see Mario on Sony/MS consoles - that WILL be the day. L-O-L

#28 Edited by lamprey263 (35175 posts) -

2017 I imagine, the N64 and GameCube were low selling, 32 million and 22 million consoles sold respectably, and each lasted 5 years. Wii lasted 6 but sold better. I can see Wii U being supported for 5 years at least. I'm sure like the others it'll have it's share of gems that future legacy gamers will remember.

#29 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

4 years, the shortest amount they can get away with while looking respectable to the loyalists. So done by the end of 2016.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#30 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (9118 posts) -

2017 at the earliest.

#31 Posted by Dragerdeifrit (499 posts) -

i don't care as long they actually release "X".. they can bury the Wii U as deep underground as they want, but not before i play Monolith's "X"

#32 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

2017 I imagine, the N64 and GameCube were low selling, 32 million and 22 million consoles sold respectably, and each lasted 5 years. Wii lasted 6 but sold better. I can see Wii U being supported for 5 years at least. I'm sure like the others it'll have it's share of gems that future legacy gamers will remember.

respectably?

mmm...no.

#33 Posted by lamprey263 (35175 posts) -

@22Toothpicks said:

@lamprey263 said:

respectably?

mmm...no.

oh sorry, respectively

#34 Edited by xhawk27 (10486 posts) -

I think by 2017 the Wii-U2 should be ready to launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
#35 Posted by deactivated-585ea4b128526 (612 posts) -

If Mario Kart doesn't move systems, I cannot imagine the system lasting much longer. So my uneducated prediction, Smash will probably be their last major release.

#36 Edited by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

If that happen gaming will die, and that will not happen dude...

#37 Posted by p3anut (6217 posts) -

2017-18

#38 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34544 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

@inb4uall said:

If that happen gaming will die, and that will not happen dude...

lol No.

I said gaming won't die if Nintendo's gone out of the industry and I'm sure as hell it'll stay if Sony went bankrupt.

#39 Edited by superbuuman (6115 posts) -

2016 announce new console will be release in 2017. :P

#40 Edited by flashn00b (3543 posts) -

Probably the second half of 2015. At that point, they'll probably go all in on handhelds.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
#41 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@emgesp: Doesn't matter. If Nintendo employee's were the only ones to buy the systems they would still support it for 5-6 years anyway. And its beating XBOX One so meh. Wii U will never be saved, but Wii U could fail, and Nintendo's next 5 consoles could fail before Nintendo actually wakes up. So no they wont end the Wii U's life short. It will be a Gamecube situation.

#42 Posted by MirkoS77 (12983 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@inb4uall said:

Never happening. Ever.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Why would you wish for any company to go under? You do realize that competition and more choices only benefits us? If you "can't wait" for a company to go bankrupt so you can feel justified in some morbid juvenile form of self-validation, then you've got some serious growing up to do.

#43 Posted by MirkoS77 (12983 posts) -

@speak_low said:

Nintendo is in serious financial trouble and so is the Wii U's future. This console is having trouble competing with PS4/X1 and even the 360/PS3. It's not making new money or restoring lost money. Wii U needs to go soon. It didn't work and Nintendo should just swallow their pride and either try another console (will cost them billions though), or start calling Sony and MS. If the latter ever happens and we see Mario on Sony/MS consoles - that WILL be the day. L-O-L

Nintendo's not doing well and is losing a lot of money right now, but they're in no way in any financial trouble, much less seriously so.

#44 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@inb4uall said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@inb4uall said:

Never happening. Ever.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Why would you wish for any company to go under? You do realize that competition and more choices only benefits us? If you "can't wait" for a company to go bankrupt so you can feel justified in some morbid juvenile form of self-validation, then you've got some serious growing up to do.

Ohh claiming the moral high ground are we? You can pretend that you never think thing like this but we all know the truth. No one is perfect.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#45 Edited by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

The have to support it for at least another 3 years if they don't want to alienate what little fanbase they have left.

#46 Posted by groowagon (4636 posts) -

they should ditch Wii U today! i'd honestly be a Nintendo gamer hands down if they had more modern hardware. dat Mario.

#47 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (8111 posts) -

idk, I think the Wii U is finally starting to turn into a good console. It needs a consistent release of games now though.

#48 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

They'l Axe it when the New Nintendo Console arrives... Until then keep making Nintendo is Dying threads.... :p

#49 Edited by trugs26 (7529 posts) -

The 2 worst selling systems from Nintendo is the Virtual Boy and the Gamecube. Virtual Boy was an utter disaster, and the Wii U isn't doing that badly. The only reasonable reference is the GCN (even though the Wii U is actually doing a little worst than the GCN). The GCN sold from end of 2001, and they released the Wii at the end of 2006. That's 5 years - a pretty standard length of time. I'd imagine Nintendo will do the same for the Wii U. Maybe 4 years at minimum.

Also, giving up too early is a bad business move. This is exactly what lead to SEGA's demise. They failed with a console, quickly released another, failed, quickly released another, failed, etc. You simply can't do that shit. You gotta take it in your stride and try to sell the current console the best you can. It's about consumer loyalty and respect - you can't just ditch millions of customers. The 3DS is a really good example of having a failing platform, and NOT abandoning it.

#50 Edited by nintendoboy16 (34544 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

The 2 worst selling systems from Nintendo is the Virtual Boy and the Gamecube. Virtual Boy was an utter disaster, and the Wii U isn't doing that badly. The only reasonable reference is the GCN (even though the Wii U is actually doing a little worst than the GCN). The GCN sold from end of 2001, and they released the Wii at the end of 2006. That's 5 years - a pretty standard length of time. I'd imagine Nintendo will do the same for the Wii U. Maybe 4 years at minimum.

Also, giving up too early is a bad business move. This is exactly what lead to SEGA's demise. They failed with a console, quickly released another, failed, quickly released another, failed, etc. You simply can't do that shit. You gotta take it in your stride and try to sell the current console the best you can. It's about consumer loyalty and respect - you can't just ditch millions of customers. The 3DS is a really good example of having a failing platform, and NOT abandoning it.

Well, it helped with their demise to be sure. Still, I can't believe how many people are forgetting this. On top of that, actually support alienating moves like that nevermind getting on Nintendo's ass for alienating their base.