When did you first experience console wars?

TcNemesiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TcNemesiz
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

For me I remember receiving a original Xbox on my 15th birthday. I had never owned a brand new console. Everything before it was a hand me down ( Ps1,Dreamcast, Super Nintendo).

I remember going to Toys R Us and there was a Asian kid at the Playstation 2 kiosk and he asked me if I was going to play the new Metal Gear. I said probably not, "I have a Xbox" and for the next 10 minutes he was telling me how much better Playstation 2 was and how inferior my Xbox was.

I was just happy to play games when I received them.

I admit, I still don't see the reason for Console Wars, but I do find it very entertaining to see people argue it over the internet and make memes.

So I ask you, what was your first experience on Console Wars?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

when Gamespot did their major redesign a while back and the forums i'd frequented stopped being active, I came here as a refugee and I guess that was my first real exposure to the stupidity of SW

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

While I never experienced the console wars offline, the first I experienced it was online on this forum-- System Wars--in December 2007. At first, I did not like the console-bashing and fanboy antics here, but came to accept them more out of amusement. After nearly 13 years visiting this forum almost daily, it has been the longest forum I visited.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

There was probably a few times back in primary & high school, but majority of it has been on this forum for me. Not that I get too involved with it either. Not really one that likes to debate.

TcNemesiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TcNemesiz

@onesiphorus: I dont remember when I first found this forum, I was just a lurker for the most part. I just found this forum the best place to find information (this was before reddit) on everything gaming in one place even if the news was to bash another console it was still good gaming information lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
Loading Video...

Damn, never realized how much they sucked at SF2 in this clip lol

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

While I never experienced the console wars offline, the first I experienced it was online on this forum-- System Wars--in December 2007. At first, I did not like the console-bashing and fanboy antics here, but came to accept them more out of amusement. After nearly 13 years visiting this forum almost daily, it has been the longest forum I visited.

Are you outing yourself as an alt?

You were here in 2007, but your account is from 2014. Don't say you were "lurking" for 7yrs lol.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

There has always been system wars.....what plastic box one worships and yours is always the best.

It's taken different forms but I joined in the early 2000's and was a site reader before that. Man....I'm still here? F#$k I'm now old....here's looking at your future kid.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

When I came across this place lol. OMG 14yrs ago!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Some argument about Mega Drive versus Super Nintendo when I was a wee boy. Hell if I remember what it was about.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

school lunch - genesis vs. snes

online was probably stumbling across videos like these 20 years ago:

Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

But yeah, can't remember first actual game argument BS I got into. Was pretty much a constant thing for 80s/90s kids in school yards, arcades, bus rides, etc. Was usually more about the games than the consoles themselves. SNES vs Genesis was definitely a big deal tho, which was dumb since we all played them both anyways lol.

Didn't stumble onto SW until late 2004. Was never about the platform fanboy shit for real, but damn this forum was fun af back then. These days it's more like an old habit, the only game related site I frequent. Quit coming here a couple years ago, but covid boredom locked me back in lol.

Funny side note, but I remember waaaaaayyy back someone on here was digging around for the most ancient ass gaming fanboy shit they could find. Posted some old archives of dudes arguing over 2nd gen consoles. Was a fun read, some of this shit never changes.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

For me growing up it was mega drive v snes I was a sega kid there were a lot of snes kids in school who would go back on forth it was a fun time.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

still cant believe grown adults argue over and have real emotional feelings towards a gaming machine..

1 system non-gamers should be mocked on a daily basis...weither its here,twitter or youtube.....thats where i come in

hah

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Haven't experienced it anywhere but here. Joined 2003.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#16 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

This forum.

A friendly reminder that the internet is not real life.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Sega v Nintendo in the 90's! That was a real console war.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I really didn't touch consoles before the 16-bit era, so the Genesis and SNES were the first time I paid attention to the "rivalries"

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 robert_sparkes

I don't anything will ever match up to sega v nintendo back in the 90's taking shots at every opportunity.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#20  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Not sure. I grew up with people having different systems. Atari, Colleco, Intellivision, Commodore 64, Amiga, Apple IIe, Intel 80286, Nintendo, Sega etc.. There were always comparisons and discussions about the systems/games and what was better. It was just cool going to everybody's houses and playing all these things.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Sega does what Nintendon't.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69450 Posts

GC/PS2/Xbox era. It was prior to the System Wars on this site. Before, the GGD was the main location and the SW was the place you go to see intelligence downgrade. When the GGD died, the SW became the only active forum. 😥 Now, I am here causing major butthurt more specifically to Sony fannies. 😎

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

On the school bus as a child in the 90s, the Nintendo vs Sega days. And it was was the prevailing attitude that Nintendo was for kiddies. Now, it's for the inner-childs of man-children like me.

Maybe my first argument with a cow was a Electronics Boutique employee, when I asked him "you got Wipeout for PC" and he's "that's only on PlayStation" and I am like "no, I clearly saw it on display at the Portland store" and he's like "no you're wrong" and I am like "can you look it up" and he's like "no I don't have to you're wrong"... proto-cow

TcNemesiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TcNemesiz

@lamprey263: I remember having Mortal Kombat on SNES and then went to my friends house to play his and wondered why mine had no blood lol.

I never had a discussion of what was better irl though since we just played at everyone's house with what games they had.

It was fun going to play SNES FF 6 game then going to a friends house and playing Toejam and Earl on a Sega.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Like many have stated, the SNES vs Genesis days were the OG system war days. The war got diluted with these 3rd participants. And nowadays the consoles are so similar, what’s the point?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I forget how I saw it, if YT video or something someone posted here., but it was a reader letters to olde game magazine, the arguments were over Game Gear and Game Boy and man it was every bit as heated as today, I must he never noticed

@TcNemesiz: even without blood, the SNES MK still felt the best to play, come MKII though though my bloodlust was satiated for the next decade

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Back when it was Atari vs Inellivision. I remember my uncles arguing which one was better. Good times because I got to play both.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 robert_sparkes

The master system v NES was quite an interesting rivalry in my household I was a young kid missed most of it but my cousins would contently argue over what was better.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Never really had anyone debate me about SNES vs Genesis or even PS1 vs N64. I did see the cringey commercials they leveled at eachother (crash bandicoot commercials in the 90s like the one where a guy in a crash suit rips on a guy for having the same gaming taste as his gf, wtf sony lmao, sega's cringe ads for the sega CD etc.).

First time I really had someone try to 'system warrior' me was in late grade school. I was praising devil may cry and one of my friends who seemed to hate playstation kept ripping on it and my taste in games, calling it a cheesy button masher etc. (dude was really big into nintendo, GC was the only console I didn't have at the time).

I discovered this forum soon after that.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I remember Sega bois being salty about Nintendo selling more and having better games. My first experience with SW was during the Gamecube and PS2 era.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

In System Wars. I can honestly say that when I was younger, people would be excited to go over to their friend's if there were a different console. I was friends with my Granddad's next door neighbour's kids who had a NES, and it was dope going over and staying the night.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Arguing the merits of an Italian plumber fighting a dinosaur vs. an edgy hedgehog fighting robots was as good as it got :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

In System Wars. I can honestly say that when I was younger, people would be excited to go over to their friend's if there were a different console. I was friends with my Granddad's next door neighbour's kids who had a NES, and it was dope going over and staying the night.

Yeah, got very fond memories of going to my best friend's house. I was a Nintendo kid, and he had a SEGA Mega Drive. We played so much Adventures of Batman & Robin on that thing, wus awesome. Had another friend with a PlayStation which we played mostly Crash Bandicoot on. Good times. Never did we argue about what was "best".

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I honestly couldn't say.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Probably from Blockbusters when they were still renting games on SNES/Sega Genesis era is where I experience it from certain fanboys while growing up and I was pretty much all over the place on gaming sites but here in System Wars is where the real bashing comes from. Not even IGN didn't have something like SW.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Back in the Sega/Nintendo days I don't really remember an attitude from kids of pick one of the other.

It was around the Playstation era where it was considered the "mature console" that the idea truly bloomed beyond marketing blurb.

xWillKillsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xWillKillsx
Member since 2020 • 62 Posts

Genesis does and Nintendon't

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I’m sure that I knew of it all the way back in the Atari 2600 days but I really noticed it in the SNES vs Genesis days.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Back in my Primary School days here in the UK in the mid to late 1980's. No one I knew had a console as their primary gaming machine, it was between the Commodore 64, the ZX Spectrum (pronounced "zed X", not "Zee X") and the Amstrad CPC464. And we all loaded games from cassette tapes!

I had C64 as did most of my friends and some had the 'Speccy'. I liked the resolution on the Speccy, but not the sound or the colour clash, but regardless it was all good fun none the less!

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#41 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@TcNemesiz said:

For me I remember receiving a original Xbox on my 15th birthday. I had never owned a brand new console. Everything before it was a hand me down ( Ps1,Dreamcast, Super Nintendo).

I remember going to Toys R Us and there was a Asian kid at the Playstation 2 kiosk and he asked me if I was going to play the new Metal Gear. I said probably not, "I have a Xbox" and for the next 10 minutes he was telling me how much better Playstation 2 was and how inferior my Xbox was.

I was just happy to play games when I received them.

I admit, I still don't see the reason for Console Wars, but I do find it very entertaining to see people argue it over the internet and make memes.

So I ask you, what was your first experience on Console Wars?

Since Genesis Does What NintenDont.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

Colecovision >>>> Intellivision. :P

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

From a very young age I knew things were limited by money so I never cared about console wars, as a kid it would of been greedy to want a second gaming console so even though I chose the genesis, chose the playstation I would never pass up an opportunity to play nintendo games at someone else's house.

Came to system wars in probably the 2005-2006 but really only because other forums I went to on this site dwindled in activity. Even as I got older I still prefer the regulars that come here and that there aren't too many here to the point you ignore whose posting. To me this place is more like general games discussion with a touch of healthy bashing.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#44 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Zidaneski said:

From a very young age I knew things were limited by money so I never cared about console wars, as a kid it would of been greedy to want a second gaming console so even though I chose the genesis, chose the playstation I would never pass up an opportunity to play nintendo games at someone else's house.

Came to system wars in probably the 2005-2006 but really only because other forums I went to on this site dwindled in activity. Even as I got older I still prefer the regulars that come here and that there aren't too many here to the point you ignore whose posting. To me this place is more like general games discussion with a touch of healthy bashing.

What killed Gamespot? Can a remember a time when mods were active, there was no cursing or hard trolling allowed. Now its like a ghost town on the other forums and System Wars is a free for all. All the poor sheep seem to have been run off. Its just lems, cows and hermosexuals now.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

@Coolyfett said:
@Zidaneski said:

What killed Gamespot? Can a remember a time when mods were active, there was no cursing or hard trolling allowed. Now its like a ghost town on the other forums and System Wars is a free for all. All the poor sheep seem to have been run off. Its just lems, cows and hermosexuals now.

I honestly can't remember at this point. I feel there was just a drastic change in structure at some point, there use to be unions or sub groups and whatnot. i hope my post are still there from way back, would be pretty trippy going down memory lane.