When did video games get mainstream?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by soapman72 (2714 posts) -

It seems today video games are played by everyone. Young and old everyone seems to play. But video games at some point became the super power it is now? But now it seems everyone plays and seems to make gamers feel not as special...When did this happen? (I'm not saying I don't like video games getting mainstream)

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#2 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

When Sony rolled into town.

Before that Gaming was seen as Kiddy thing to do. (Thx Nintendo)

#3 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

September 9, 1995

#4 Posted by JohnnyCageMK (4365 posts) -
SNIPER can tell us.
#5 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

seemed pretty mainstream during the nes days.

#6 Posted by sandbox3d (5166 posts) -

Obviously_Right

Slight yes on your first point, absolutely not on your second point.

Gaming was viewed as a nerdy/niche thing, not really a kiddy thing.

Sony cracked the door slightly when they came to the scene and then really started to push it open with the PS2. The Wii and smartphones came along and blew the doors off the hinges.

In short, it started last gen and completely blew up this gen.

#7 Posted by sandbox3d (5166 posts) -

CaseyWegner

Compared to what it was before, yes, but it certainly wasn't full blown mainstream.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
#8 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3840 posts) -

They are mainstream now mostly because the casuals have discovered the App store and Facebook games.

Other than that, its just a generational thing. Older people playing games now were the ones playing them back in the 80's when it all got going.

#9 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

When high school started it seemed every one played pretty much everything where I live :P After High school it remains that way :P

#10 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

sandbox3d

Compared to what it was before, yes, but it certainly wasn't full blown mainstream.

what exactly is "full blown" mainstream?

#11 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -
You could make an argument for Facebook, actually, but I'll go with PS1.
#12 Posted by Sushiglutton (6828 posts) -
Dan Houser is revealing stuff about GTAV in New York Times and the Guardian. Gaming is still not nearly as mainstream as say movies in terms of media coverage and general public awareness. But it's obv a very broad industry. In summary: I dunno.
#13 Posted by Cheleman (8197 posts) -

Obviously_Right

as always Mr. Right is... right:P

#14 Posted by sandbox3d (5166 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

Somehow I knew that comment would lead us into the semantics of what is mainstream.

I guess you can choose what mainstream means to you.

To me, when I see all kinds of people of all ages enjoying all kinds of different games that is what I think of as mainstream. Basically the scenario that came to fruition this gen. People who arent even really into games play games.

I wouldnt describe the NES times like that. During the NES times, gamers were typically just young males. Typically considered nerds. And they were very much invested in the hobby.

#15 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

You just woke SNIPER up! I can hear him stomping the floor towards us.

#16 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

Somehow I knew that comment would lead us into the semantics of what is mainstream.

To me, when I see all kinds of people of all ages enjoying all kinds of different games that is what I think of as mainstream. Basically the scenario that came to fruition this gen. People who arent even really into games play games.

I wouldnt describe the NES times like that. During the NES times, gamers were typically just young males. Typically considered nerds. And they were very much invested in the hobby.

i don't know, dude. i was around back then and the nes and gameboy were everywhere and a part of pop culture.

#17 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

When people supported indy devs so much so that they soon got enough support and money to make games even bigger and "supposedly" better.

#18 Posted by vashkey (33782 posts) -
Almost entirely through out it's entire existence.
#19 Posted by sandbox3d (5166 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

i don't know, dude. i was around back then and the nes and gameboy were everywhere and a part of pop culture.

I guess. Still, it appealed to a very niche audience compared to today. It wasn't widely accepted and it certainly wasn't considered a cool thing to do.

Its all relative I suppose, but I think we can both agree that its nothing like what we have today.

This gen kicked off a whole new era. An era littered with the typical positives and negatives that come about when something goes mainstream.

#20 Posted by WreckEm711 (7357 posts) -

PS2 started the trend, Wii hammered it home, 360 added to it.

#21 Posted by platniumgamer (3960 posts) -

I guess when MS made the Godbox.

#22 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

when the Wii came out. Then those same people became Call of Duty zombies.

#23 Posted by soapman72 (2714 posts) -

when the Wii came out. Then those same people became Call of Duty zombies.

Gue1

Thats almost exact...All my little brothers friends had a Wii...hated it because it didnt have good shooters...got a 360

#24 Posted by Senor_Kami (8529 posts) -
PS2 era was one jump and imo the iPhone and Wii were another big jump. In the PS2 days it seemed like the # of gamers skyrocketed but it was still the same type of folk playing games. With the iPhone and the Wii there were people I never thought would be gamers playing video games. My Dad and my stepmom play the Wii and iOS games and they were never into games before that. They had been buying me games since the NES days so it's not like they weren't aware of games, they just didn't want to be associated as a gamer. Casey said since the NES and I can say that at least in my area and in my cliques, video gaming wasn't mainstream back then. It was solely considered the territory of nerdy male children/teenagers.
#25 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10053 posts) -
Around the PS1, methinks.
#26 Posted by mexicangordo (8687 posts) -

Mainstream has to be the most misused word in this"internet era." I think the word you are looking for is, "when did videogames become this relevant?"

#27 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

I'd say when you see halo 4 doritos and mt dew at the market, you know it's crazy mainstream

#28 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

The Wii

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#29 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9845 posts) -
It started during the early to mid 90's. SNES, PlayStation 1 and the Gameboy were huge contributors. Not to mention PC gaming was really starting to materialize simply because tons of people were starting to get PC's.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
#30 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (10541 posts) -
imo it's not totally mainstream yet, the way movies and tv are. When any average adult feels like picking up controllers to unwind, then we will be there. Right now, a huge percentage of adults look down on gaming as something for school aged kids and maybe in college a bit.
#31 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22595 posts) -

Video gaming has been around at home since the late 70's and especially the 80's. They were mainstream even then. There just wasn't social media or the internet back then. I don't know where people get the idea that video gaming went mainstream recently.

Edit:

There were also arcades back in the late 70's. It was simply a matter of those games moving to the home via consoles. Once the young folks of that time started playing, it stayed with them as they grew up.

#32 Posted by lazerface216 (7564 posts) -

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

sandbox3d

Slight yes on your first point, absolutely not on your second point.

Gaming was viewed as a nerdy/niche thing, not really a kiddy thing.

Sony cracked the door slightly when they came to the scene and then really started to push it open with the PS2. The Wii and smartphones came along and blew the doors off the hinges.

In short, it started last gen and completely blew up this gen.

wrong. the NES is what brought gaming to the mainstream. lol it wasn't a "kiddy" thing, hell my dad was playing the NES when i was a kid. EVERYONE loved the NES...

EDIT: the kiddy comment was referring to obviously-right btw...

#33 Posted by lazerface216 (7564 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

wis3boi

I'd say when you see halo 4 doritos and mt dew at the market, you know it's crazy mainstream

well, mario was like that in the late 80s early 90s, all over commercials and mcdonalds and such...so yeah, nintendo made gaming the financial empire it is today...gaming has been mainstream for decades.

#34 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22595 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

lazerface216

well, mario was like that in the late 80s early 90s, all over commercials and mcdonalds and such...so yeah, nintendo made gaming the financial empire it is today...gaming has been mainstream for decades.

Even before Mario, everybody knew Asteroids and Space Invaders on sight. But, Mario made the first big splash on TV.

#35 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -
Gamers shouldn't feel special about being gamers.
#36 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29665 posts) -

When Pokemon Happened.....or when Pacman happened. take your pick.

#37 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22595 posts) -

When Pokemon Happened.....or when Pacman happened. take your pick.

LegatoSkyheart

I forgot about Pacman.

Heck. Wasn't there a Pacman cartoon back in the early 80's (obviously based off the game)? Doesn't get any more mainstream than that.

#38 Posted by GamerZem (526 posts) -

There wasn't really a certain time...it just grew and grew over time.

#39 Posted by Maroxad (14570 posts) -

When Pacman happened.

#40 Posted by mitu123 (155201 posts) -

When this came out:

playstation-system.jpg

#41 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
Sony and the Playstation 1, no other answer is correct, period
#42 Posted by Samus3D (1953 posts) -

F-U CKING Sony drones...

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
#43 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Probably 6th gen,and a GREAT deal this gen,with the Wii and all,and the better graphics.

Yeah,this gen actually.

#44 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

its always been mainstream.......

#45 Posted by Hate_Squad (1357 posts) -

September 9, 1995

Ly_the_Fairy

exactly then,being able to pirate games on the ps1 gave a tremendeous boost to its sales

#46 Posted by Hate_Squad (1357 posts) -

razgriz_101

no on the snes era and before it was the exact opposite

#47 Posted by khoofia_pika (16745 posts) -
Several factors- From Sony's side, the entire PlayStation brand. From Nintendo's side, Mario, Pokemon, and the entire Wii brand with its casual targeting. From Microsoft's side, Halo and Xbox Live. From 3rd parties, franchises like Call of Duty and FIFA.
#48 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

Hate_Squad

considering Atari,Pac Man and the NES are considered a huge part of pop culture in the 80's i think i'll continue disagreeing.

#49 Posted by lazerface216 (7564 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

Hate_Squad

you are wrong, so so wrong. please...leave this topic to the people over 25. you know, the gamers who actually experienced gaming in the 90's...

#50 Posted by lazerface216 (7564 posts) -

Probably 6th gen,and a GREAT deal this gen,with the Wii and all,and the better graphics.

Yeah,this gen actually.

GreekGameManiac

lol sooo many little kids on this board. posts like this make me realize that...