What's your favorite mario series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 loeil
Member since 2004 • 1348 Posts

For me it's a tie between the platformer one and the Kart series. I have to say that, except for Mario Tennis, i find that the sport itteration are not the best.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Almost everone will say platforming

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Platformers, but There are many great mario RPGs and I love the Mario kart series, so it's quite close between those 3.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
the RPGs and the platformers.
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

2D Platformer ones. Don't enjoy 3D Mario games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Platformers. Especially 2d ones

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Either the platformer or RPG series for Mario, with RPG series arguably the highest quality spin-off series for any series.
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts
Donkey Kong is the best Mario game.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
The platformers.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I dunno. For me, they're all past their prime anyway. Super Mario World (SNES) was the best Mario platformer. Mario Kart 64 (N64) was the best Mario Kart. Never played a Mario RPG (the concept just seemed goofy; I mean RPGs are heavily dependant on story. Story and Mario don't go together. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime...). Mario sports games (or sports games in general) are just a travesty. Mario Party games are kinda fun for a party, but party games < real games. So I guess I'd say the platformers, but only from the NES/SNES era.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts
The RPG series. Followed by the 3D Platformers.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#12 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Platformers still awesome to play.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

I dunno. For me, they're all past their prime anyway. Super Mario World (SNES) was the best Mario platformer. Mario Kart 64 (N64) was the best Mario Kart. Never played a Mario RPG (the concept just seemed goofy; I mean RPGs are heavily dependant on story. Story and Mario don't go together. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime...). Mario sports games (or sports games in general) are just a travesty. Mario Party games are kinda fun for a party, but party games < real games. So I guess I'd say the platformers, but only from the NES/SNES era.

ianuilliam
Soccer, baseball, and basketball I'll agree with, but tennis and golf are actually all amazing games.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Willy105

ianuilliam
You should play the newer Mario games, it will change your opinion, especially the one where Mario and story don't go together and that the platformers from the NES or SNES era were the only good ones.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

The old-skool platformer 8) Nothing beats it!

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

Obviously the party games.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Platform even though I really love playing Mario Tennis on my Virtual Boy.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

Willy105

You should play the newer Mario games, it will change your opinion, especially the one where Mario and story don't go together and that the platformers from the NES or SNES era were the only good ones.

What, you mean the ones where the story doesn't involve Mario having to rescue the Princess from Bowser in order to save the Mushroom Kingdom? Point me to them and I'll look into it. Well, there was SMB 2, and Mario Sunshine... but for the sake of being able to say Mario games are at least decent, we should probably just pretend those two didn't ever happen, huh? As for post SNES era platforming... Mario 64 was alright. Sunshine, as I said, we're better off pretending didn't happen. While I haven't played Galaxy, the fact that the previous 3d Marios have not been an improvement over the older 2d ones, combined with the fact that the waggle-mote is inferior to a regular controller leads me to think I won't be overly impressed. And NSMBWii? From what I hear, they've pretty much removed any amount of challenge from the game. I stand by my statement that the NES (SMB, SMB3) and SNES (SMW) were the peak for Mario games.

xGUMBERCULESx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xGUMBERCULESx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Gotta agree with almost everyone else and say platformers. I loved Mario 64. Definitely my favourite.
grizzlybear1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grizzlybear1
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Kart for me fun game with great multiplayer!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Willy105

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

ianuilliam

What, you mean the ones where the story doesn't involve Mario having to rescue the Princess from Bowser in order to save the Mushroom Kingdom? Point me to them and I'll look into it.

Well, there was SMB 2, and Mario Sunshine... but for the sake of being able to say Mario games are at least decent, we should probably just pretend those two didn't ever happen, huh?

Those games are fantastic. How dare you insult them?

As for post SNES era platforming... Mario 64 was alright. Sunshine, as I said, we're better off pretending didn't happen. While I haven't played Galaxy, the fact that the previous 3d Marios have not been an improvement over the older 2d ones, combined with the fact that the waggle-mote is inferior to a regular controller leads me to think I won't be overly impressed.

That's insane. The 3D Mario games are much better than the old 2D games. And Mario Galaxy is one of the reasons the Wii mote (and motion control in general) is such a great thing for older styIe games.

And NSMBWii? From what I hear, they've pretty much removed any amount of challenge from the game.

The one of the bad things about the game is that it's too hard.

I stand by my statement that the NES (SMB, SMB3) and SNES (SMW) were the peak for Mario games.

Those games were great (except SMB3), but to say they are the peak of the Mario games is just nostalgia blurring things.

Sorry for the large text, but it's the only way I could make it more seperated form the formatting of your quote.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

Willy105

Have you ever played Super Mario RPG on SNES? That blows the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series out of the water. It's the best Mario game I've ever played, and it was back when Nintendo was at their prime.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

Willy105

What, you mean the ones where the story doesn't involve Mario having to rescue the Princess from Bowser in order to save the Mushroom Kingdom? Point me to them and I'll look into it.

Well, there was SMB 2, and Mario Sunshine... but for the sake of being able to say Mario games are at least decent, we should probably just pretend those two didn't ever happen, huh?

Those games are fantastic. How dare you insult them?

As for post SNES era platforming... Mario 64 was alright. Sunshine, as I said, we're better off pretending didn't happen. While I haven't played Galaxy, the fact that the previous 3d Marios have not been an improvement over the older 2d ones, combined with the fact that the waggle-mote is inferior to a regular controller leads me to think I won't be overly impressed.

That's insane. The 3D Mario games are much better than the old 2D games. And Mario Galaxy is one of the reasons the Wii mote (and motion control in general) is such a great thing for older styIe games.

And NSMBWii? From what I hear, they've pretty much removed any amount of challenge from the game.

The one of the bad things about the game is that it's too hard.

I stand by my statement that the NES (SMB, SMB3) and SNES (SMW) were the peak for Mario games.

Those games were great (except SMB3), but to say they are the peak of the Mario games is just nostalgia blurring things.

Sorry for the large text, but it's the only way I could make it more seperated form the formatting of your quote.

[/QUOTE Motion control in SMG isn't a sell for the Wii and isn't innovative at all. :|
lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

Guilty pleasure........mario sunshine.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Platformers followed closely by Mario Tennis on the N64. I enjoyed it so much that I purchased it for the GBA as well. Way too short of a game on the GBA though. It was setup like Pokemon but there were only like two gym bosses.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Platformers followed closely by Mario Tennis on the N64. I enjoyed it so much that I purchased it for the GBA as well. Way too short of a game on the GBA though. It was setup like Pokemon but there were only like two gym bosses.Senor_Kami
I think there was a Mario Tennis for GBC and that is probably my favorite sports title. That game was awesomesauce I mad someone stole it from me years ago:cry:
TheDogout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheDogout
Member since 2010 • 807 Posts

TIE BETWEEN PARTY AND RPG

rpg wins easily b ut party is plain fun.