warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3417 Posts

I'm just curious how many people have actually tried VR here and what do you think about it?

I got my Oculus back in 2016 when it launched I was really blown away with it and had some amazing experiences that I still think of to this day. But I haven't used it in a long time I just hate all the cords and sensors I pretty much retired it for now but I'm more interested in what next gen VR brings so what about you? what's your experience with VR?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28871 Posts

I played with it a little here and there both in the past trying the Virtual Boy, what a headache inducing thing that was, and in the present with the PSVR. Played some Resident Evil 7 at a friend’s house. It was cool for like 15 minutes but it’s just not compelling enough for me to get into. I just much prefer playing my games on a tv with a regular controller in my hands.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16214 Posts

I picked up a Lenovo Explorer WMR kit because of the 1400x1400 resolution in preparation for No Man's Sky Beyond.

Setup wasn't hard, it was just I had to install so many different programs just to run the game in VR. There's Windows Mixed Reality Home which opens automatically whenever you put the headset on. And since finagling with the desktop in that environment is so touch-and-go, I have to Windows+Y to return control to the keyboard and desktop.

Then there's Steam VR that has to launch, and it launches a few programs itself (Windows Mixed Reality for Steam, some little program for the controllers, some kinda Vive>WMR bridge) and THEN the game launches.

Okay so actual experience in-game...I wear eyeglasses, and these must be worn to see properly in VR. The VR Headset setting on my nose keeps pulling my glasses down 'granny style', so I guess I'm going to have to get a wrap-around band for those. The lenses of the headset themselves contact the lenses on my eyeglasses...not good. Guess I'm going to have to dig out an old pair of eyeglasses.

That shit gets hot on my face, too.

The controllers are okay, just don't hit that damn Windows button on them. It's the proverbial 'Windows Key' problem. Holding a weapon and swinging it around feels nice and solid, but any pointing you have to do like at menus or whatever can be jittery.

The VR ship controls in NMS could be better, I really hope they improve them.

There is a definite 'screen door' effect, and you're really going to want as much AA as you can spare.

Also: batteries. Those controllers, man...

I'm sitting here looking at my VR set, all hooked up and ready to go. I haven't put it on in a few weeks, because I know it's a process to actually get into the game.

The times I've managed to get into the game and not have any of the 52 programs I need to run it crash have been a good experience. Not great, but good. Looking up and seeing my Capitol ship in orbit overhead was awesome. Walking around and taking in the sci-fi vistas was a moment in gaming I won't forget.

But PLAYING THE GAME? If I really want to get something accomplished I'd probably just grab my Xbox One controller and do it on the flat panel. The controls are more responsive and intuitive, navigating the menus is far snappier and easier to do, and yeah those ship controls.

I dunno. If they get it down to a pair of safety glasses then I'm all in. As it is...

...it's clunky. You feel like you have an apparatus on your face because you do. Cords dangling out and wrapping up with your feet, waving plastic rings around everywhere and so many extra apps that need to run just to make it all happen.

I'm sure newer hardware will get better, it always does. But right now, I'd say be careful what your expectations are.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Played GT Sport and RE7. Enjoyed it but i get dizzy quick so it's not for me.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39083 Posts

During my first VR set-up, I own HTC Vive and my experience on a PC was limited. My PC station isn't meant to be move from side to side and while playing VR games with it, it's amazing but it's limited to where I can move and stand. So later on, I trade it for PSVR and now, I find it using console VR set-up more friendly then the PC counterpart. And on the plus side, Sony has more VR games that catch my fancy despite power/resolution is limited but that's to be expected for a console's hardware. I'm playing No Man's Sky in VR and that game is awesome!

VR in itself however is still in the infancy in terms of technology and it is a bit of an investment right now, but as the technology progresses it will just get better and better. And this is the problem for those who still dismiss VR. A lot of people don't seem to realize VR is still in it's infancy. It has barely scratched it's potential, and developers still haven't been able to truly capture the capabilities it holds to enhance gaming experiences. Give it time, let VR grow and mature until it becomes visible for everyone and that includes future VR wireless.

If anyone's getting themselves a PC VR, make sure you have enough space cause my PC set-up isn't meant for VR play, just a simple office/gaming station and I find PSVR for console to be easier since my PS4 is open space.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2652 Posts

I've got PSVR wish I could get the PC version. It's awesome my only problem is games are too short. I don't want to finish a game in a day.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6535 Posts

I tried the Vive when it came out and wasn't too impressed with the BUT that was only for several hours as I had to return it to a my friend... This was back in late 2016 or early 2017 not sure.

I just got my Oculus Rift S last weekend and absolutely love it... Especially the price, maybe that's what bothered me with the Vive with it being almost 2x the price and the resolution being noticeably lower which has to do with it being OLED and LCD's have a advantage of have 3 sub pixels to get rid of the screen door affect and improve sharpness.

I still think its too early... The software is just not their to justify even a $400 price tag for the average gamer, for a enthusiast its a must buy.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1197 Posts

Blood and Truth is one of the best games I have ever played. It made me a believer of PSVR and VR in general.

All of you need to play it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26911 Posts

My experience is:

1. It's the coolest thing I have ever experienced, and even after months of using it intermittently the magic has not worn off.

2. It can get me sick after a while. Walking in VR does not have a good solution yet. Microphones in the VR headsets aren't great.

3. It takes too long to set up in my room and gets uncomfortable within half an hour/an hour. (PC Vive.)

My verdict is that if you are someone who has loved games for many years like I have, you should 100% try VR in some capacity, because it's pretty damn cool to be inside of the games. Either at an electronics store or at a friend's place or buy one for yourself. (In my country we now have a couple VR game rooms where you can go rent VR to try it out. That's a great way to do it.)

Right now the tech feels like it's barely ready for the common people. But this is technology that is clearly going to improve on all/most fronts over time. I think the nausea will be lessened with higher res/framerate/degrees of view. It will also help that designers become more experienced with designing specifically for VR. The headsets will become lighter and more comfy over time. (Hopefully making us less sweaty in the process.) On top of that, the newer controllers provide even higher levels of interaction and feedback. Sunny days.

This tech has proven itself to be capable of doing unique and amazing things, but is not that good at everything surrounding that magical nugget of an experience. And I think that in the next couple years we'll see VR get a lot better at all those things. But again, don't wait to try it out. Find a place where you can.

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 644 Posts

My experience has been stellar!

I have psvr and oculus rift s. Two of my fav games: Blood n Truth, Lone Echo

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5484 Posts

None so far.

I may jump in during the current hardware gen with the Valve Index or whatever the next Rift is, or I may wait until the next-gen hardware. They are getting closer though.

I need to find somewhere to try it out.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1464 Posts

@Archangel3371: You think Virtual Boy was VR. Your opinion is disqualified!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28871 Posts

@ButDuuude: Meh whatever. 🤷‍♂️

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20732 Posts

I've played mostly demos and a few games like Moss on the PC. I think it's fun, but I'm still waiting for a must-play AAA experience.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11840 Posts

I've gota Vive Pro for my lab. We mostly use it for research, but it's very fun to play around on - sneak in some gaming

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 29657 Posts

I have been waiting for this level of immersion for 3 decades. Current gen VR didn't disappointed me a bit, and from now on it will only get better.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15490 Posts

very interesting. I have an Index. also to expand on what i am talking about when i say VR: i dont just mean the headset: i mean the whole setup and what it can do. the combination of headset, controllers and tracking. just a headset with a normal controller sitting down really doesn't do it justice.

As a method to play games i dont think its the future or anything: i see it more a another way to experience games. like playing on a console vs a handheld. but a very very cool way and people should definitely try it.

It has its strengths and weaknesses compared to other forms of gaming.

strengths:

for immersive first person experiences it has no rival. no amount of fancy tech on a flat screen is going to match a VR headset. you can look around, move your hands around independently and the setup has the capacity to let you interact with the game in ways the traditional setup cant even fathom.

dont take that to mean it has to be a FPS either. it could be a FPS (or something like prime), a 3D strategy game like homeworld or black and white (Why is black and white VR not a thing!?), a racing game or whatever. Moss is pretty cool (well the execution could be better but the concept is a great example of what VR can do). If it can be done in 3D and the camera can be moved in any direction then VR could be very interesting. 3rd person games i'm not sure...could be interesting.

A control scheme that is very flexible and powerful: again adding to that immersion. Kneel down and pick a thing up using a grabbing motion. Take cover in a FPS and send Hand signals to your team in something like swat.

weaknesses:

It's not suitable for all games. as i said its not the future. its not going to replace a flat screen. its just another form of gaming. VR has little to offer 2D games for example. You can play a 2D game on a VR headset but i don't see the upside. something like pillars or diablo in their current form would be pointless in VR i think.

For competitive gaming, even FPSs, i don't think it would compete with a mouse and keyboard in terms of speed and accuracy either. VR would be a lot more immersive and feel really authentic but 360 no scoping in VR?....that just an accident waiting to happen :P.

it requires more of an investment (and its not just cost). the quest is the most straight forward. Self contained unit that can be seup anywhere. but you still need to set space aside for it and set it up. The index is not the horror show some would have you believe. the 2.0 base stations are less fussy about placement as i understand it (never had the 1.0s). i have mine set on tables around waist height and everything is tracked just fine. but its still 3 plug holes, lots of cables and needs space set aside (the more the better).

More of an index specific thing: steamVR needs work. I use it on Linux and steam VR needs A LOT of work but even discounting the linux specific stuff, as an application it needs a lot of work.

VR also needs a killer app. The go to game on VR is beat saber (which is very cool). but it still doesnt have that killer app that bring it all together. There isnt a game that has really unlocked "Teh hidden power" of VR.

But it is very cool and a great way to play games. I really hope something sparks off a new round of development. Hopefully valves big VR games are actually big.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#18 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79481 Posts

I got a PSVR at launch and I loved the thing. At first, I was getting sick from it. I think it was Here They Lie. For a while I didn't think I was going to acclimate to it, but after a few more tries, I did. It had some really fun games as well like Farpoint, Moss, Resident Evil VII and of course Astro Bot. Anyone who wants a good VR platformer needs to try that game out!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 6933 Posts

my guess is there'll be a tipping point in the next 2-5 years when someone nails it and when they do it'll be spectacular. and that will be the crack-in-the-dam moment. but right now, my experience is, great in small doses, tons of potential, too immature to break from beyond just being a novelty

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#20 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2115 Posts

Never tried it at all! Want to though.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

have the HP mixed reality I really just use it watch movies and 3d movies in steam big picture

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 1289 Posts

Have a PSVR and absolutely love it.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5179 Posts

My favorite game to play on my PSVR is the Wipeout Omega Collection. I love going so fast in VR. No Man's Sky is fun, but there are little things here and there that cause me to prefer NMS without VR.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#24 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3431 Posts

got to say I really enjoy playing with VR. I've got the PS VR, and do plan to purchase a VR for PC also, maybe the Vive Cosmos since it takes away the cords and no necessity of setting up cameras.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7491 Posts

Love VR, love my Index. The Thrill of The Fight is still the most intense part of my exercise regime. There still needs to be more high budget VR games that take full advantage of VR controlls, PSVR gamers will likely disagree but games that have you sitting down with a controller in VR are boring, it's only half the VR experience. Also, half-arsed VR cash in ports like NMS, Subnautica, FOIV and SkyrimVR need to stop if they cant be bothered to put more effort into them. The controls and UI reek of minimal effort, not as much in NMS, but definitely the other three examples.

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 862 Posts

Cool to see all the VR love in here, and especially concerning PSVR. I bought a PSVR basically day one, and it has been a continually amazing experience since then. RE7, Wipeout, Firewall, Astro Bot, Moss, NMS, Skyrim, DiRT, Borderlands 2, Farpoint, AZ Sunshine, The Persistence, Rush of Blood, The Solus Project....and on and on. As long as you steer clear of the shovelware, VR is freakin' awesome.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24670 Posts

Never tried it, but want to.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

Better than flat gaming in my humble opinion. Every game which has a flat or vr option is better in vr from what I've played. Ruined flat shooters, racers, space sims for me. What I have been waiting for in games since I was a kid.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@floppydics said:

Better than flat gaming in my humble opinion. Every game which has a flat or vr option is better in vr from what I've played. Ruined flat shooters, racers, space sims for me. What I have been waiting for in games since I was a kid.

I have been playing Pavlov and Project Cars 2 in VR since I got my Rift S and it genuinely has ruined those two genre's for me... I went back to play Forza Horizon 4 on PC and nope just not even remotely close of a experience.

In shooters the sense of scale of the environment and the aiming/handling of the weapons is just something that prettier graphics cannot replace.

Valve is working on 3 VR titles so fingers crossed one of them is MP a shooter... Team Fortress VR would be heaven.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Mild nausea unfortunately

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Subspecies

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@floppydics said:

I have been playing Pavlov and Project Cars 2 in VR since I got my Rift S and it genuinely has ruined those two genre's for me... I went back to play Forza Horizon 4 on PC and nope just not even remotely close of a experience.

In shooters the sense of scale of the environment and the aiming/handling of the weapons is just something that prettier graphics cannot replace.

Valve is working on 3 VR titles so fingers crossed one of them is MP a shooter... Team Fortress VR would be heaven.

Yeah, that can happen. Forza games especially are affected by this. Once you play a solid VR racer, going back to flatscreen gaming is a joke. FH4 is fun and all on flatscreen, but it doesn't come close to how awesome VR is. Same thing applies to flight simulators, fps, etc. VR transforms genres and makes them waaaaaaay more immersive than they ever were before.

You mention shooters--have you played Firewall: Zero Hour? It's a PSVR exclusive, so if you don't have PSVR, or access to it, I guess you haven't. Basically it's CS: GO in VR. 4 on 4 squad based. With the aim controller and a good team by your side, no other tactical shooter touches this game. Amazing experience.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 floppydics

@subspecies: agreed firewall is amazing with the aim controller. It amazes me how people are getting hyped for the next cod when the next evolution of shooters is already here. The immersion of the game is incredible, immersion over 4k super duper gfx anyday. do you know if the lobby issues are fixed now..??

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 floppydics

Oh yeah astro bot >Mario oddyssey

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Subspecies

@floppydics said:

@subspecies: agreed firewall is amazing with the aim controller. It amazes me how people are getting hyped for the next cod when the next evolution of shooters is already here. The immersion of the game is incredible, immersion over 4k super duper gfx anyday. do you know if the lobby issues are fixed now..??

Yeah, it's all fixed. I mean, you'll run into the occasional issue, but for the most part everything works as it's supposed to. Sometimes the lobby still gets stuck on 7/8, but I played for like three hours the other night and that only happened once or twice.

Anyway, totally agree about cod. Firewall brings not just tactical shooters to the next level, but shooters in general. Holding an aim controller, looking down the sights, peeking around corners--even shooting through freaking doorknob holes--it's all just so awesome. And the community is solid. I always find matches.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@subspecies:

I had a pro and sold it recently, never bothered with the PSVR... I knew if I was going to get into VR it would be on PC because I already tried VR before it and new resolution and framerate play HUGE part in your experience of VR, once I heard about the Rift S with its inside out tracking and higher resolution screen I knew it was time plus the price played a big part.

I haven't heard of the game but it looks great, also Pavlov VR is basically CS... and it has custom maps.

The games I have so far:

• Skyrim VR
  • Pavlov
  • No Mans Sky VR
  • Gorn
  • Blade and Sorcery
  • Project Cars 2
  • Lone Echo

I have tried a bunch of free games also but most of them are demo's.

Borderlands 2 VR is coming October 22nd, I will end up buying that asap. Games I am looking forward to:

• Borderlands 2 VR
  • Asgard's Wrath
  • Espire 1: VR Operative
  • Stormland
  • Arizona Sunshine: The Damned
  • Lone Echo 2

I will be picking up Arizona Sunshine this weekend, can't wait.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36061 Posts

Nothing positive enough to justify the price.

It's still not ready for public consumption, a novelty.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 588 Posts

I enjoy VR...just never enjoyed the setup and all the cables. Started dabbling in "modern" VR with an Oculus dev kit back in 2014. Now I have a Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest and PSVR. My fav right now is the Quest do to the high rez screen and its no wires/no hassle setup. Out of the headsets that I do own, Rift offers the best visuals due to being coupled to the PC. However for me the Quest is an easy go to...put it on your head and get 90% of what the Rift offers. PSVR is great (currently making my way thru Blood and Truth) but I get annoyed with the "hands" tracking of the move controllers across games. It is very lacking compared to the tracking capabilities of the Oculus touch controllers. The headset tracking itself is OK but they need to come up with better tracking in general. There are some very fun games on PSVR, I do enjoy Ace Combat, even though it is only a handful of levels. I absolutely loved Far Point with the AIM controller. They really tuned that game well with the tracking of the gun, hands down. That game was down right fun.

Games that are truly immersive for me are flight and driving games. Now that is an experience! Especially When you can couple the VR setup with some good peripherals. For driving I use a Playseat with mounted Fanatech pedals and wheel. For flight games I have a HOTAS, Thrustmaster replica Warthog stick with separate foot rudder controls and throttle. These types of goodies just brings VR into a different immersion level.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@uninspiredcup said:

Ready for public consumption?... What like the generations of console games selling millions of units running at 15-20FPS and Skyrim with more bugs than dead corpse being one of the all time highest selling games?...

As a gamer I find it hard to believe that you came out negative and calling it a novelty when non gamer's try VR instantly want one.

Something funny going on in these forums.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Ready for public consumption?... What like the generations of console games selling millions of units running at 15-20FPS and Skyrim with more bugs than dead corpse being one of the all time highest selling games?...

As a gamer I find it hard to believe that you came out negative and calling it a novelty when non gamer's try VR instantly want one.

Something like Star Trek or Blade Runner made far more sense, where it's a prepared room with no wires or attachment projecting an interactive image.

As it stands, it's price, the room required, the wires and other junk as well as basically having to rebuy games, it's an expensive novelty product that needs roughly, 32 years until every home has one.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Something like Star Trek or Blade Runner made far more sense, where it's a prepared room with no wires or attachment projecting an interactive image.

As it stands, it's price, the room required, the wires and other junk as well as basically having to rebuy games, it's an expensive novelty product.

That 4 million just on a PS4 have bought?...

You need to redefine expensive in a world where people buy $150 trainers by the millions and regularly and a $400-500 phone is considered mid range.

You cannot live life defining things by your needs or standards and or ability to afford or to accommodate especially when that thing is something is clearly successful and millions of people have no issue with.

The only bad thing with VR... Is lack of polished games, aside from that as it stands right now is no different to any product I have owned, nothing is perfect.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:

As it stands, it's price, the room required, the wires and other junk as well as basically having to rebuy games, it's an expensive novelty product.

You need to redefine expensive in a world where people buy $150 trainers by the millions and regularly and a $400-500 phone is considered mid range.

You cannot live life defining things by your needs or standards and or ability to afford or to accommodate especially when that thing is something is clearly successful and millions of people have no issue with.

The only bad thing with VR... Is lack of polished games, aside from that as it stands right now is no different to any product I have owned, nothing is perfect.

4 million is nothing.

Smart-phones, tablets, ipads and similar ilk are prolific thanks to lowering costs of technoligy while paradoxically advancing - along with convenience and mobility.

VR completely lacks this, might as well put a Tron suit on and go fight that big red head thing.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:

4 million is nothing.

Smart-phones, tablets, ipads and similar ilk are prolific thanks to lowering costs of technoligy while paradoxically advancing - along with convenience and mobility.

VR completely lacks this, might as well put a Tron suit on and go fight that big red head thing.

Mobile phones started off in suitcases... And evolved, tablets are a extension of that evolution.

Your issue with VR is that its not evolved when fresh out of the gate?... How do you stick high end screens on your head with thick lenses and multiple cameras on it?...

Oculus Quest exist... And the hassle of wires has gone down with the second iteration of VR from Oculus with the Rift S due to it having inside out tracking only needed one cable.

Eventually you will get a Oculus that streams content from your PC... The evolution is coming but none of that deters from the fact that what you said makes no sense that their is no value and its a novelty let alone that its not ready for public consumption when that 4 Million number is just Sony's VR, the amount of Vive's, Rifts and Microsoft mixed reality units sold the combined total is probably 3-4 times that, not to mention mobile VR.

There is Value in VR and its not a novelty its literally the final frontier when gaming and media consumption.

The state that VR is in from the get go is already more than good enough for public consumption when compared to almost every other new technology fresh out the gate and its only going to get better. TV's use to be 10" black and white and the movies had no sound.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:

4 million is nothing.

Mobile phones started off in suitcases... And evolved, tablets are a extension of that evolution.

Your issue with VR is that its not evolved when fresh out of the gate?... How do you stick high end screens on your head with thick lenses and multiple cameras on it?...

Oculus Quest exist... And the hassle of wires has gone down with the second iteration of VR from Oculus with the Rift S due to it having inside out tracking only needed one cable.

Eventually you will get a Oculus that streams content from your PC... The evolution is coming but none of that deters from the fact that what you said makes no sense that their is no value and its a novelty let alone that its not ready for public consumption when that 4 Million number is just Sony's VR, the amount of Vive's, Rifts and Microsoft mixed reality units sold the combined total is probably 3-4 times that, not to mention mobile VR.

There is Value in VR and its not a novelty its literally the final frontier when gaming and media consumption.

The state that VR is in from the get go is already more than good enough for public consumption when compared to almost every other new technology fresh out the gate and its only going to get better. TV's use to be 10" black and white and the movies had no sound.

Well, yea... that's exactly what i'm saying. When phones arrived they were the size of a brick and a product for the rich, typically associated with yuppies during the Thatcher era here.

Now children as young as 5-8 run around with them like it's nothing, even those on lower income families.

No doubt VR will evolve similarly, my predication as stated above something akin to Blade Runner/Holodeck where it's an attachment to a room itself than items and wires attached to the player.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 6933 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@uninspiredcup said:

As it stands, it's price, the room required, the wires and other junk as well as basically having to rebuy games, it's an expensive novelty product that needs roughly, 32 years until every home has one.

other than the 32 years bit, i'm with you. there's still so much to iron out from hardware to game design before it'll start to bleed out from the enthusiast market into mainstream.

i went to play on my mates' oculus with touch bundle a few weeks ago and within 30 mins he'd knocked a shelf off the wall and i'd punched him in the face as he was trying to adjust the wires while i had the helmet on. funny, but not all that practical

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1052 Posts

It's possibly the cheapest way to watch a 3D movie.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11657 Posts

A big MEh!