What's your current GOTY and is there any game left that could dethrone it?

• 87 results
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Yeah Melty Blood is top notch in the air dasher sub genre. Always been super niche, but apparently this ones pretty active. Don't care much for the aesthetic, but the gameplay is 🏆

Opinion hasn't changed on Cresta lol. Will play eventually, but there's an ocean of better looking shmups out there, cheaper too if you're interested.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

I really do not understand the hate on Resident Evil Village. Myself I enjoyed it very much. Way more than any other title this year.

Tales of Arise comes second.

But mostly I played retro Jrpgs this year. I finished Trails of Sky trilogy and started Trails of Steel.

Bajonsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 Bajonsan
Member since 2021 • 14 Posts

Metroid Dread, so far. I'm just digging into Resident Evil 4 VR, so it could be a tough choice between the two.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38801 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

I really do not understand the hate on Resident Evil Village. Myself I enjoyed it very much. Way more than any other title this year.

Tales of Arise comes second.

But mostly I played retro Jrpgs this year. I finished Trails of Sky trilogy and started Trails of Steel.

Abysmal gameplay. Laughable enemies variety (they haven't learned anything from RE7). Gunplay was one of the worst i've seen in a first person shooter as of late. All levels other than the village and the castle were garbage. And when you get to the Chris's part, it just told me that Capcom doesn't know what the f*ck they're doing with the series YET AGAIN.

RE2R was so damn good, and this is their next title? I just don't get Capcom. If RE2R is a 9/10 worthy title (the only thing that would make it much better is for the game to be 15h plus instead of being 4h long), RE8 is a 5/10 tops. Will certainly remember RE8 as one of the shittiest titles i've purchased this generation. God damn i am still annoyed.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Death's Door. Best dungeon crawler I've played in years. It's way too short though.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

@hardwenzen: I never considered Village a first person shooter. More like an atmospheric metroidvanian walking simulator with shooting mechanics. It’s definitely not a doom, but doom doesn’t have so many genres and game mechanics mixed in it like Village has. IMO, Village was better than RE7, and RE7 was pretty good. Nor do I consider RE7 and 8 direct sequels of RE 1 - 3. They are more spin-offs that extend RE lore.

I think the problem with shooting mechanics lies in the game engine. I think RE7 engine was originally envisioned as a simple walking simulator with puzzle and script events. The shooting mechanics was tacked in later, this is why it feels so awkward.

Just one question. Did you finish RE8? I did. Did enjoy it for what it was.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38801 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

@hardwenzen: I never considered Village a first person shooter. More like an atmospheric metroidvanian walking simulator with shooting mechanics. It’s definitely not a doom, but doom doesn’t have so many genres and game mechanics mixed of it like Village has. IMO, Village was better than RE7, and RE7 was pretty good. Nor do I consider RE7 and 8 direct sequels of RE 1 - 3. They are more spin-offs that extend RE lore.

I think the problem with shooting mechanics lies in the game engine. I think RE7 engine was originally envisioned as a simple walking simulator with puzzle and script events. The shooting mechanics was tacked in later, this is why it feels so awkward.

Just one question. Did you finish RE8? I did. Did enjoy it for what it was.

If this is metroidvania, then it must be the worst i have ever played. Its way too small and simple to be considered as one. RE8 is not a metroidvania style game, nor is it a shooter. Its a game that doesn't know its identity. Capcom tried to please its horror fans, but because they had some complaints in RE7 that it way too scary (i still🤣at the fact that they listened to those "gamers"), they made a game with only one good horror element, and that's the creature/baby in the doll house. For the rest of the game, it was as scrary as playing Zombies Mode in your yearly CoD. They also tried to please their action fans, and lets just say that you can't make an action game with such shitty gunplay and enemies variety. Just firing your weapons felt so awful in this game, which is funny because gunplay in a first person shooter is pretty much always "meatier", but that was far from being the case when compared to their previous game, RE2R.

And yes, of course i finished RE8, and on Hardcore as my first playthrough (just so the game last me as long as possible cuz i was very excited to play this before it was released). I did not enjoy ANYTHING in it. No memeing or trolling, i would give it a flat 5/10. I don't ever want them to make another first person RE game. Its one of the things that's ruining the series.

The RE team should wake the f up, look at what worked in RE1, RE2 and RE4, and make a game out of these three. Or they can go into another direction, and that's being more like Dead Space. A game with a serious tone (no stupid/campy dialogue, etc) and being more of a survival horror. But i am betting all my cash on the Callisto Protocol being exactly what i want from a RE game, so i am at peace right now😁

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

Returnal

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#59  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

@Macutchi said:

slim pickings this year, slimmest i can remember for some time. slimmer than 2014 which was pretty much just a toss up between alien isolation and shadow of mordor.

demon's souls is head and shoulders above anything else i played this year. would've been the easy answer but is technically a nov 2020 game. maybe should make allowances for it because of ps5 shortages. doubt many people got to play it last year.

deathloop was ok but not goty material. i've got mass effect legendary sat waiting to be played, if that's decent and nothing else releases prior, and returnal doesn't drop in price, maybe that. roll on 2022...

Hitman 3 is better than all of crap release this year. its sad that majority here didnot played it because it doesnot have big advertisement and media all over.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Ghosts4ever  Online
@warmblur said:

None

sadly you never played hitman. this years best game when most mainstream game dominate and are bad.

its Hitman (which prob few people played it) destroy every mainstream game from the likes of RE village, Battlefield and far cry.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10432 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

slim pickings this year, slimmest i can remember for some time. slimmer than 2014 which was pretty much just a toss up between alien isolation and shadow of mordor.

demon's souls is head and shoulders above anything else i played this year. would've been the easy answer but is technically a nov 2020 game. maybe should make allowances for it because of ps5 shortages. doubt many people got to play it last year.

deathloop was ok but not goty material. i've got mass effect legendary sat waiting to be played, if that's decent and nothing else releases prior, and returnal doesn't drop in price, maybe that. roll on 2022...

Hitman 3 is better than all of crap release this year. its sad that majority here didnot played it because it doesnot have big advertisement and media all over.

it's not that for me, i've played the first and second hitman series games, not burnt out with them but still a degree of been there done that. so the third is not super high on my shopping list. been waiting for sekiro and returnal for a while, they're next, and got mass effect collection sat here waiting to play meaning might not get around to playing h3 this year. if i saw it heavily discounted i may be tempted because i'm struggling to find sekiro goty edition anywhere, never mind at a reasonable price. returnal still not budging below £60 too

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ghosts4ever  Online

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

it's not that for me, i've played the first and second hitman series games, not burnt out with them but still a degree of been there done that. so the third is not super high on my shopping list. been waiting for sekiro and returnal for a while, they're next, and got mass effect collection sat here waiting to play meaning might not get around to playing h3 this year. if i saw it heavily discounted i may be tempted because i'm struggling to find sekiro goty edition anywhere, never mind at a reasonable price. returnal still not budging below £60 too

Its the end of excellent trilogy having deepest level design in stealth game since 2005 chaos theory. come on

it worth more than any of game this year. including Deathloop.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10432 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Its the end of excellent trilogy having deepest level design in stealth game since 2005 chaos theory. come on

high praise indeed my friend

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is my GotY. It's been an abysmal year for gaming. Everything of interest that was not a remaster was delayed with the exception of Lost Judgment. As I'm still in the middle of the first game and haven't played the new one yet, it can't automatically get the win.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

I'm sorry but I gotta agree with @ivangrozny regarding RE: Village, I also enjoy that game alot, a huge step up from RE7 that's for Goddamn sure. Its still sitting at my top 5 2021 (will make a top 10 game of 2021 list soon) and while not GOTY for me but still pretty damn close. Don't wanna dwell on it but SW users hating on RE: Village came out of nowhere when it came out. I also like Ethan more so.

Moving on. Its either Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, Kena, RE Village or F.I.S.T: Forged in Shadow Torch that all 4 are sitting in my GOTY. Its hard to pick really because I really been enjoying 2021 offerings for sure, I still have new games to play like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, FH5, & Halo: Infinite that could very well be my GOTY. That said, its still too early to name my GOTY before the VGA starts, so sorry, can't really say what's my GOTY just yet.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#66 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

Returnal so far.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

@davillain- said:

I'm sorry but I gotta agree with @ivangrozny regarding RE: Village, I also enjoy that game alot, a huge step up from RE7 that's for Goddamn sure. Its still sitting at my top 5 2021 (will make a top 10 game of 2021 list soon) and while not GOTY for me but still pretty damn close. Don't wanna dwell on it but SW users hating on RE: Village came out of nowhere when it came out. I also like Ethan more so.

Moving on. Its either Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, Kena, RE Village or F.I.S.T: Forged in Shadow Torch that all 4 are sitting in my GOTY. Its hard to pick really because I really been enjoying 2021 offerings for sure, I still have new games to play like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, FH5, & Halo: Infinite that could very well be my GOTY. That said, its still too early to name my GOTY before the VGA starts, so sorry, can't really say what's my GOTY just yet.

I recently got Legendary Edition on XSX for $32. Excited to give it a go. I remember playing the original many years ago. As for RE Village, I was disappointed by it. The last third of the game went all RE6/COD on us 😄

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Still Subnautica: Below Zero for me.

Forza Horizon 5 will be fun but nothing special. Considering my experience with past Halo games, I doubt that's going to be anything worth going crazy about either. And with Total War: Warhammer III delayed to 2022, I'd say Subnautica will most likely stay my GOTY.

I loved the first subnautica, but the 2nd one isn't really my thing. I don't like travelling on the land. Since theres no map, its easy to get lost, which is super annoying.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 blaznwiipspman1
@gym_lion said:

Hades - I know it came out last year on switch and PC but this year was the first time Xbox owners got a chance to play it and I’ve pretty much been playing it since. Amazing game.

Forza Horizon 5 stand a good chance of dethroning though.

The Artful Escape as runner up.

hades is amazing...its too bad, I can't beat the boss without anything but the bow. His attacks are just too annoying to deal with if you use a melee weapon.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44136 Posts

Yeah I really enjoyed Resident Evil Village myself as well. Gameplay felt solid, enemy variety was pretty good, and the game’s story actually made me care for Ethan much more then RE7’s did. Had a number of cool moments and I really dug the “Metroidvania” aspects of the game. Also really liked the Chris portion of the game. It was a very brief but exciting aspect of the game that fit in very nicely with the overall game. I thought that they knew exactly what kind of game they wanted to make and executed on it very well. Definitely has me hyped for how they presumably want to finish off this Ethan trilogy in the next game.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#71  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I loved the first subnautica, but the 2nd one isn't really my thing. I don't like travelling on the land. Since theres no map, its easy to get lost, which is super annoying.

Yeah, the surface bit was definitely the weakest part of the game; the ice worms section in particular made me want to throw something at the screen.

Still, I enjoyed it overall.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44136 Posts

I’ve just started playing Tales of Arise on the Xbox One and really digging it so far. Looks good and the combat is quite fun. Could be a contender.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22657 Posts

Honestly, Mass Effect Legendary was the best experience of 21 for me, but considering it's not a new release I don't know if it counts.

Dread was really fun. Hoping there will be some dlc for it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

By the way, nobody nominating The Medium or The Ascent yet 🤭🤭🤭

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22657 Posts

@jasonofa36: what does, "made equally" mean?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 blaznwiipspman1

@davillain- said:

its funny, i put off playing RE Village because of a few posters here who constantly bash the game. I was under the impression that the game actually sucked. I guess what they say is true, the loudest voices are the ones that are heard

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

@sakaixx said:

By the way, nobody nominating The Medium or The Ascent yet 🤭🤭🤭

The Medium that was release late January 2021 was pretty good when it came to GP but its a forgettable game. Just glad it came to GP cause paying full price wasn't worth the price they were asking for. Its kinda up their in my top 10 2021 games I played this year, but so is CP2077 even thought it release so late December 2020, any game that releases after December 1st will have to wait for next year to get on the list. (That's just how I always see it)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#78 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Dread or Type Lumina

Possible Dethrone: Returnal. So far just can't be assed to fire it up.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Renegade_Fury: @Telekill played the first few hours of Lost Judgement. They give you a skateboard that you can use to ride through the city lol. I also just started the chapter where you go undercover at a high school lol. Off to a good start!

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I've only played Metroid Dread (it was excellent). Kena is something I want to check out as well as AOE4.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

2021 is one of those years where no game should win GOTY.

2015: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Bloodborne, three of the best games of the generation in one year.

2017 had LoZ: BOTW (GOTD runner up), Mario Odyssey, Divinity OSII.

2018 had God of War, RDR2 two GOTG candinates

2019: Death Stranding, Sekiro, Disco Elysium

2020: obviously the GOTD/GOTG The Last of US 2, but also GoT, Hades, Persona 5: Royal, FF7 Remake, Demon's Souls would have easily won 2021 GOTY.

2021... *crickets*

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#82  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Probably Monster Hunter Rise for me.

Metroid Dread is good. But not "over 400 hours of an awesome time with friends-good". More like a solid 15 hour Metroid game-good.

Still need to play Psychonauts 2, which seems really good too.

Valheim needs a mention, but I'm not giving GOTY to an unfinished game. Needs more content, I've seen and done everything already. And who knows with early access games, they might never get finished. The only award such a game should get is "great beginning of a game".

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Returnal it was better than my expectations and was a really fun game to platinum. I have a feeling 2022 is going to be a much better year for gaming.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#84  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Nothing jumps off the page at me to be "game of the year" so far this year.. hopefully that means it hasn't released yet.

I've played a lot of games that this has been a pretty disappointing year in gaming overall for me personally. Although I must say that I added a lot of games to a backlog already long enough that 20 people probably couldn't finish it in a lifetime.. lol.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Halo: Infinite. ;o

Yes, I attend every meeting. lol :P

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

So far it's Tales of Arise for me. The only two games that could dethrone it are 2042 or Marvels GotG

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#87 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12942 Posts
  • Nier Replicant
  • Flight Simulator
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Kena

Are my top 4 so far for this year. I suspect Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite will blow them out of the water for me for the year though.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 SolidGame_basic

@x_hedon: definitely going to be a great month next month!