What's your current GOTY and is there any game left that could dethrone it?

• 87 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44865 Posts

2021 has been a pretty good year for games! Here are some of my favorites:

Deathloop: aside from the overly complicated tutorial and user interface, once you understand what this game is about, it's fun. I like that it challenges players to think and not just run and gun (which I did plenty of times lol). The online multiplayer mode where you can invade someone's game and hinder their progress is also great. Definitely a cool game and one of my favorites of the year!

Returnal: another game that challenges you, and an excellent third person arcade shooter at that! Like Deathloop, brings something new to the genre. A third person roguelike type game with horror elements and an intriguing story and character. Housemarque rocked it and their acquisition by Sony is well deserved!

Metroid Dread: I'm near the end of this game, about to face the final boss I think, and man, this game is great! While relatively on the short side (8-10 hours), it's action packed with lots of great boss fights and a variety of gameplay elements. Definitely one of the best of the year.

Ratchet and Clank Draft Apart: Probably my favorite Ratchet and Clank game, and definitely a great showcase for the PS5. It does just about everything right for what you would expect from this type of game. And that's the only thing, if you were expecting some big changes for the franchise, you really won't find it here.

Persona 5 Strikers: it was great revisiting the Persona 5 world, but what was also great about this game is that it wasn't a carbon copy of any spinoff I've played it. It had its own twist and was a nice combination of Persona and Dynasty Warrior esque gameplay. One of the nice surprises of this year!

Super Mario 3D World+ Bowser's Fury: I played 3D World back in the day, but this version with the sped up movement was much better, and Bowser's Fury is an awesome glimpse of what the next Mario may be like.

Guilt Gear Strive: I wish had more time for this game, but from what I've played, it's awesome. Approachable, fun, and amazing animation.

Nier Replicant remake: I have a love/hate relationship with this game. So why do I still consider it a favorite? Because I loved the characters! That was enough to put it on the list.

As for what remains for me to play from this year:

Lost Judgement
Far Cry 6
Forza Horizon 5
Shin Megami Tensei V
Halo Infinite

Out of these, Shin Megami Tensei V has potential to be my GOTY. So we'll see! But for now, my current GOTY is I think between Returnal and Metroid Dread. Would probably give the edge to Returnal. It was the first game that made think was the first next gen PS5 game! Really creative and unique game, fun, and lots of replay potential I think.

How about you, SW? What's your current GOTY and is there any game left that could dethrone it?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10557 Posts

Still Subnautica: Below Zero for me.

Forza Horizon 5 will be fun but nothing special. Considering my experience with past Halo games, I doubt that's going to be anything worth going crazy about either. And with Total War: Warhammer III delayed to 2022, I'd say Subnautica will most likely stay my GOTY.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#3 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49555 Posts

Valheim is at top of my list but it was fun going through all three Mass Effects in the legendary edition.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24803 Posts

Hitman 3. Follow by Deathloop.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I don't think I've played any current/new games this year. :( I've just been working on my backlog.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50464 Posts

Kena

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7106 Posts

Metroid Dread. Is one of the best games ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Balan Wonderworld.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17757 Posts

So far: Neo: The world ends with you. i have only played 4 games this year that were released in 2021: Metroid Dread, Ys IX (PC port), Wyldermyth and Neo.

NEO: TWEWY: I am really enjoying the combat system and the story is pooteling along nicely. Also within the first hour i am dropping cars on an enemies head so...YAY! like with the original DS game, i was worried the characters and things around fashion would put me off. but the characters are great and the fashion stuff is not a focus at all. its just window dressing for your typical RPG mechanics basically. also the soundtrack SLAPS (is that what the younguns say now? :P). Yeah this one is a nice surprise. it's not a cheap cash in...Square put a lot of effort into it.

Ys IX: more ys. great game. nuff said.

Wyldermyth: i need to dive into this a bit more. i don't know if its a translation issue or an issue with the dynamic way text is generated (as i understand it) but i find it difficult to read. i also dont think i have given it enough time to shine yet. it has solid Xcom type turn based combat though which is good and, even with the reading issue, the way my first campaign ended was still a bit of a gut punch :(. this one could be a sleeper hit alright.

Metroid Dread: Yep unpopular opinion...i didn't like it. The Emmi thing just broke the game for me. Flashbacks of the central dungeon from Phantom hourglass all over again (in the sense that every time i saw the door to an entrance to an EMMI area i just went "ugh"). a game is in a death dive in my book once that starts happening. take that out and i think i would have enjoyed it but that element is a game breaker for me. I am playing Samus Returns on the 3DS now and much prefer that to be honest.

I dont see anything else coming this year that will pop NEO off the top spot for me though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58460 Posts

Haven't played new many games this year, RE8 was very disappointing.

Probably go with Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed, fantastic work by the mod-teams in freshening up and improving a decades old title.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@osan0 said:

So far: Neo: The world ends with you. i have only played 4 games this year that were released in 2021: Metroid Dread, Ys IX (PC port), Wyldermyth and Neo.

NEO: TWEWY: I am really enjoying the combat system and the story is pooteling along nicely. Also within the first hour i am dropping cars on an enemies head so...YAY! like with the original DS game, i was worried the characters and things around fashion would put me off. but the characters are great and the fashion stuff is not a focus at all. its just window dressing for your typical RPG mechanics basically. also the soundtrack SLAPS (is that what the younguns say now? :P). Yeah this one is a nice surprise. it's not a cheap cash in...Square put a lot of effort into it.

Ys IX: more ys. great game. nuff said.

Wyldermyth: i need to dive into this a bit more. i don't know if its a translation issue or an issue with the dynamic way text is generated (as i understand it) but i find it difficult to read. i also dont think i have given it enough time to shine yet. it has solid Xcom type turn based combat though which is good and, even with the reading issue, the way my first campaign ended was still a bit of a gut punch :(. this one could be a sleeper hit alright.

Metroid Dread: Yep unpopular opinion...i didn't like it. The Emmi thing just broke the game for me. Flashbacks of the central dungeon from Phantom hourglass all over again (in the sense that every time i saw the door to an entrance to an EMMI area i just went "ugh"). a game is in a death dive in my book once that starts happening. take that out and i think i would have enjoyed it but that element is a game breaker for me. I am playing Samus Returns on the 3DS now and much prefer that to be honest.

I dont see anything else coming this year that will pop NEO off the top spot for me though.

nice, am interested in picking up NEO: TWEWY. The demo had me on the fence from my buying it at launch. hope to get a Black Friday deal on it. You also just reminded me that I have Ys 9 and have to play it!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 37778 Posts

BF2042 is probably gonna be my goty. Yes, i know, its sad. Tell that to the gaming industry, not me😭😭😭

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic
@uninspiredcup said:

Probably go with Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed, fantastic work by the mod-teams in freshening up and improving a decades old title.

no Ys 9 for you?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@SolidGame_basic: Not played it, still need to do Ys 8, ain't played a Ys game haven't liked though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43933 Posts

Probably still Monster Hunter Rise for me.

Runners up are:

- Metroid Dread

- Resident Evil Village

- Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Games coming out soon that could be my GotY still are:

- Forza Horizon 5

- Halo Infinite

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24803 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

shadow warrior 3 should have been released by now. no idea why they announced release date 2021 and then silence.

it should have been true GOTY.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

Ratchet and clank rift apart and its not close and no nothing left that will come close this year. Next year will likely be either Horizon FW or Zelda BOTW 2 depending on if Zelda makes 2022 or gets pushed to 2023.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic

@uninspiredcup said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not played it, still need to do Ys 8, ain't played a Ys game haven't liked though.

Oh, didn't know. Ys 8 was great aside from the cliche JRPG adolescent characters 😆

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

shadow warrior 3 should have been released by now. no idea why they announced release date 2021 and then silence.

it should have been true GOTY.

Shadow Warrior 3 could be pretty dope is it polishes up the first game and ignores the seconds, Borderland.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By osan0

@SolidGame_basic: i didn't play the demo of NEO so i can't really say if it was a good representation of the game itself. certainly if you can find a deal it's worth a go though.

Ys IX is also great. the story is better than Ys 8 (The ending in 8 was poor imho) but the world is less interesting to explore. combat is more Ys though. more refined than 8 but no major changes.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

Probably Dread, but I also haven't played much of anything this year other than Great Ace Attorney 1 and some of Super Monkey Ball Mania.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

probably It Takes Two. just a really fun, well made, well paced game, even if the story was a bit cringe at times.

Valheim was excellent as well but its early access so I won't count it.

for games that have yet to come out that could take the top spot, Age of Empires IV and Forza Horizon 5 have that potential. AoE IV had an excellent beta and its been ages since a good new RTS has come out so I'd say it has a solid chance.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I really enjoyed Below Zero, though not as much as the original game. Nothing else really stands out.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Probably Tales of Iron. SMT5 will likely dethrone it.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14491 Posts

Of games released this year, Returnal was the most compelling. I very much enjoyed Deathloop, Maquette, Maneater, and others, but they're all a step below. I haven't played a number of games that are critical darlings (Psychonauts 2, New World, Metroid Dread, Cyber Shadow, RE8) and likely won't before the year's end. But I am reserving a place for Halo Infinite, though I am pessimistic about its chances.

If I could consider a backlog game for GOTY 2021, Death Stranding is at the top of the list.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#27 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2539 Posts

Persona 5 Strikers, and i'm just waiting for Shin Megami Tensei V this year now that Advance wars got delayed; SMTV is probably the only one that could dethrone P5S.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@osan0 said:

@SolidGame_basic: i didn't play the demo of NEO so i can't really say if it was a good representation of the game itself. certainly if you can find a deal it's worth a go though.

Ys IX is also great. the story is better than Ys 8 (The ending in 8 was poor imho) but the world is less interesting to explore. combat is more Ys though. more refined than 8 but no major changes.

I loved the original, one of my favorites. Does the new one live up to the original?!

Yea, looking forward to playing Ys IX eventually.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Hades - I know it came out last year on switch and PC but this year was the first time Xbox owners got a chance to play it and I’ve pretty much been playing it since. Amazing game.

Forza Horizon 5 stand a good chance of dethroning though.

The Artful Escape as runner up.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 727 Posts
@gym_lion said:

Hades - I know it came out last year on switch and PC but this year was the first time Xbox owners got a chance to play it and I’ve pretty much been playing it since. Amazing game.

I was having difficulty picking something, and I feel like this is a valid choice. Hades wins two years running for me.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0

@SolidGame_basic said:
@osan0 said:

I loved the original, one of my favorites. Does the new one live up to the expectations set by the original?!

Yea, looking forward to playing Ys IX eventually.

As a fan of the original, i think Neo is actually better so far. i never got very far into the original though (i must play it again. still have the DS version).

The combat system is less unique since there is no dual screen element. There is still a lot around timing your attacks between different characters though. its hectic and fast paced and good fun.

Characters wise i also prefer NEO so far. i remember the main character being very annoying in the original. i was worried when i initially saw some of the new characters but so far they are all good and there is good banter between them. so far no annoying angsty teens.

Story wise i am still early on (week 1 day 5) so its hard to see what the long game is. but it goes along at a fair ol pace and still does enough to hook you in.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5163 Posts

I think the best game for me would be Returnal.

But my favorite game and GOTY vote would go to Rift apart. Such an over-all great experience.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Metroid Dread would be my first pick. Valheim is second.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@osan0: lol nice.. random fact, but the original is one of the reasons I visited Shibuya, Japan in real life 😄

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 897 Posts

Metroid Dread

Probably just Halo Infinite could dethrone it. Forza Horizon 5 looks solid too but racing isn't my favorite genre.

I also enjoyed Psychonauts 2, Resident Evil 8, and The Medium this year. Back 4 Blood is just ok.

I know it doesn't count since it's 10 years old but Skyward Sword HD is up there too for me. A much better experience than the og Wii version.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

None

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#37  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15962 Posts

Psychonauts 2 is my GOTY. It's possible that I'll like Pokemon Brilliant Diamond more, because I loved it on the DS. I have it pre-ordered.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#38  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17735 Posts

Pretty weak year for GOTY contenders. There have been good games, but nothing that stands out as AAA amazing. Most of the games I was looking forward to have been delayed to 2022.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

Most fun and addicting game this year for me was Returnal. Didn't go in expecting it to be that good.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Man, such a blur. A lot of the best games I played this year weren't 2021 releases. Need to do like others, maintain a played/beaten list.

Anyways, would say Strive for sure. Game had me hooked, put in like 250 hrs in just under two months. Kinda game I'll be revisiting for years.

My possible dethrone game is already out, Type Weeb Lumina. Just don't even have the time for Strive right now, no way I can get into another FG.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: what about Dread?!

Also, I think you would appreciate a game like Returnal but maybe not lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Nah you're right, I'd probably dig Returnal. Eventually man, too many games, not enough time.

Thought Dread was really good, got two plays out of it and already itching for a third. Want to do the sub 4 hrs hard mode run. Just compared to the enjoyment I got out of Strive, doesn't really stack up.

Most years, don't really have a clear front runner. Just a collection of games I thought were great. Strive just happened to pull me in way more than any other 2021 release I've played.

I should keep FGs separate, any good one will always overshadow other games lol.

Greygoose12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Greygoose12
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

Psychonauts 2 so far.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10332 Posts

slim pickings this year, slimmest i can remember for some time. slimmer than 2014 which was pretty much just a toss up between alien isolation and shadow of mordor.

demon's souls is head and shoulders above anything else i played this year. would've been the easy answer but is technically a nov 2020 game. maybe should make allowances for it because of ps5 shortages. doubt many people got to play it last year.

deathloop was ok but not goty material. i've got mass effect legendary sat waiting to be played, if that's decent and nothing else releases prior, and returnal doesn't drop in price, maybe that. roll on 2022...

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2309 Posts

Re4 vr is my goty. I dont think any game will beat it but im hoping halos multiplayer is good. Ratchet and Clank could be a runner up when i play it eventually

BlargForToo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BlargForToo
Member since 2021 • 41 Posts

Really haven't played so many 2021 games unfortunately...been playing way too much older stuff (no regrets though..) In fact there's only two 2021 games I've finished, and out of those Psychonauts 2 easily takes the cake, and probably would still be in the running even if I'd played all the other big-hitters. Really wish I had a PS5 though to play Deathloop and the new R&C..but still got hundreds of older games to get through! xD

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

My GOTY so far is Metroid Dread.

Runners up: Golf Club Wasteland, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Little Nightmares 2.

I don't expect any game coming to unseat Metroid, but Halo might make the list for sure.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

None. No game can be the best game for me he year since not every game's made equally.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

For real gamers it's Dread

and it's not even particularly close.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: yea, Returnal and Astral Chain 😄 I never heard of that fighting game you mentioned. Must be good if you want to play it. BTW, any interest in Sol Cresta? Comes out in December.