What's worse: watching political campaigning, or witnessing console rivalries?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll What's worse: watching political campaigning, or witnessing console rivalries? (46 votes)

Console e-peen measuring is the worse. PS4, Xbox...who cares? 11%
Political campaigns take way too long and are terrible. 39%
I wish they'd both stop 17%
I don't care any more, I'm so jaded I just. don't. care. 20%
I play Nintendo! 15%

Well it just sort of dawned on me that for the next long while (a few months at least) we get two listen to two awesome, insightful, amazing, educational, and life-changing events:

1. A political race for the presidency of the United States (I am sure even you overseas folks get a kick out of our nonsense politics here in the US).

2. Console wars, specifically between Sony and Microsoft, with all their sycophantic bootlicker fanboys defending their console of choice, with their tiddyflops and megaawesomeharddrive and whatnot.

So, I ask you....what's worse?

• 
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I was tempted to give the "worst" prize to politics, but SW (not the forum but the mentality) is pretty awful. But then I realized I just don't care. I'm tired. I want to curl up to a nice Sony movie game and forget about the outside world.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

I can get away from SW. Politics are everywhere unfortunately

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Don’t care anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm jaded AF

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

SW idiocy is relegated to a single board. Political idiocy is everywhere. Them the breaks.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

At least with SW I can rest easy with the knowledge that many of these people are probably young, fairly immature, or just trolling and engaging in it for the kicks.

With politics, every since the entry of Trump, our political discourse has taken a turn towards the embarrassingly juvenile. Trump conducts himself literally, literally, like a twelve year old. He acts precisely like an aged spoiled brat who's never been told no in his life and has had everything his way. I've seen very young children who conduct themselves more as an adult than one who is 70 something. It's pathetic and incredibly depressing, even more so because people LOVE it. They eat it up and want more of it.

The conduct of SW is excusable due to the nature of the demographics, the conduct of our politics is not due to the nature of the demographics. It is infinitely more insuffereable to see adults handle themselves like literal children.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

Politics have consequences that can affect everyone. Console bickering only hurts the pride of already emotionally damage people. They are not remotely comparable.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56061 Posts

I hate Politics, but I understand that Politics can make you rich and powerful. And I don't want either of it! Console rivery is just bickering, nothing more.

I'm jaded as hell.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I can get away from SW. Politics are everywhere unfortunately

Yeah this is why I voted "politics" as most annoying.

Plus, the whole SW mentality can be entertaining. Politics is just tragic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

@davillain- said:

I hate Politics, but I understand that Politics can make you rich and powerful. And I don't want either of it! Console rivery is just bickering, nothing more.

I'm jaded as hell.

Making citizens jaded is the best way to take control away from them in a democracy.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

At least with SW I can rest easy with the knowledge that many of these people are probably young, fairly immature, or just trolling and engaging in it for the kicks.

With politics, every since the entry of Trump, our political discourse has taken a turn towards the embarrassingly juvenile. Trump conducts himself literally, literally, like a twelve year old. He acts precisely like an aged spoiled brat who's never been told no in his life and has had everything his way. I've seen very young children who conduct themselves more as an adult than one who is 70 something. It's pathetic and incredibly depressing, even more so because people LOVE it. They eat it up and want more of it.

The conduct of SW is excusable due to the nature of the demographics, the conduct of our politics is not due to the nature of the demographics. It is infinitely more insuffereable to see adults handle themselves like literal children.

Pretty much this. I can excuse SW crap, not politics so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Watching the "master race" trying to be relevant, its painful and at the same time funny to watch LOL.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Politics, hands down.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Politics is not funny,witnessing adults show actual emotions towards a gaming machine is

Watching fannyboys get triggered and resort to all kinds of ‘sad act’ damage control while i switch from PS4 to xb1x and enjoy all ‘da games’ is treat

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Politicians lie to the people

Fanboys lie to themselves

Politics are worse by far

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The console shit is worse to invest energy in, but funnier to watch.

The politics shit you should invest energy in being aware since most of you idiots are ignorant as ****, but is far more offending to watch when goobers bet against their own interest as voters.

Politicians are all degenerates and it is absurd they don’t get taken to task more. Meanwhile tbh, the console companies are just doing decent marketing shit. Can’t blame them.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23903 Posts

I play Nintendo. Animal Crossing is a really fun game and I think you would enjoy it a lot mrbojangles.

But Politics is worse. Neither the Sony, PC, Nintendo or Xbox (do these even exist anymore), show the extraordianry levels of cult-like behaviour I have seen from Trump and Bernie supporters.

Likewise, being ignorant about games isn't the end of hte world. But when people are ignorant in politics they often, at the same time demonstrate vast ignorance in both science and mathematics (some US politician wanting to get rid of Fuzzy Mathematics (Algebra) from school) as well.

Sadly politics does sweep in here as well, just look at any game where people are bashing games like TLOU2 for the dumbest of reasons.

Watching US politics is really disturbing. It is a train wreck I can't look away from. Tribalism and hatred for the other tribe.

Watching people get emotional about a piece of plastic. And spend hours trying to rationalize why they will buy one over the other. Is quite entertaining. Tribalism is at a minimum, and it doesnt seem to boil down to outright hatred of people who buy another system.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

"They're the same picture" :P

The same pattern of tribalism and lies and denial plays out in both. I was going to say at least no one dies in gaming arguments, but swatting is a thing, so maybe they do...?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I dunno, I find politics funnier, in a sort of morbid kind of way. Console wars is just stupid in a petty sort of way, which is worth a mild chuckle. Politics reveals the true depth of the wretchedness of the yapping ape race, and sometimes that leads to outright laugh-out-loud hilarity.

Also, at least politics has a scoring system, i.e. elections, to determine who "wins." Watching internet arguments is kind of like judging a train wrecking contest. I mean, they're just piles of scrap metal at this point, how the f*** am I supposed to determine which wreck is wrecked worse than the other wrecks?

But as to what's "worse?" *Shrugs* I dunno. Hard for me to say. Maybe it's just because I'm a misanthrope who's just interested in tech and gaming advancement in general regardless of their source, and who doesn't vote and doesn't believe in so-called "Democracy," so I munch my popcorn watching from such a long distance to both that I can't smell the farts.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I voted I play Nintendo! Because it's kind of my answer, actually. I think the political stuff has gotten so bad on all fronts. Including the coverage of it and it seeping into our entertainment industries. Far far worse than watching gamers poke at each other in system wars.

But I do always enjoy retreating underneath the blanket with a very cheerful and innocent Nintendo game. It is my go-to when things get too bad. Some are trying to take that away from us. I've seen several articles about how Animal Crossing is supporting colonialism and things like that. Whatever. Don't give them views, don't give them the time of day by partaking in their war on words and thoughts and fantasy and expression. It's important for people to have an escape. To maintain a separation between true and untrue.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

Politics is tribalism which is alive and thriving in every sector of humanity including these boards. People here evangelism and defend a piece of hardware with the devotion of a Trumper, Muslim, or Patriots fan. They're all fanboys about something dumb, just so happens that one thing could have actual consequences in their lives whereas MS and PS are basically the same at this point.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts

Both are forms of tribalism, but political tribalism has actual consequences.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'd say console e-peen is worse but what's even worse are anti-PC sentiments from console elitists. Such sentiments are even more hostile when it comes to Japanese games, I think.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

System Wars are for the most part pretty tame and not that serious ... even the most die hard fan know that at the end of the day, they are nothing but video games ... even if you can get defensive every once in a while ...

Political campaigning on the other hand ... can get pretty rough ... specially since it can divide families, friendships, etc ...

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Polotics on the news is much worse. I seriously hate all the polotics. Console rivalries is pretty harmless in comparison.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Gaming tribalism does not physically hurt someone like political tribalism.

I have never heard of gamers going after gamers in public harming those who disagrees with them, while I hear many accounts of political/ideological partisans harming those who disagrees with them. In fact, one political party (which I will not name here) has become an ideological cult where the leadership is authoritarian and members must follow the party line or face undesirable consequences.

The only way to stop the divisions caused by political tribalism is for the moderate members of society take a more active role in politics and not let the "activists" monopolize participation in public life which they are not doing.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Politics are boring and worst