Whats up with game awards this year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supernoob662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 supernoob662
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
This year was great for gaming lots of great games, but every time i wacth or read one either Bioschock or SMG wins in almost all catagories, and every time the shooter award is announced its Call of duty 4, what about mass effect they almost never win except for best story or best rpg, infact gamespot didn't even nomanatie for game f the year, i've played bioshock SMG Halo 3(which never wins anything, don't know why) mass effect and call of duty 4 and mass effect and halo 3 are way better than those other ones, i am just saying please tell me what makes bioshock,SMG, Call of duty 4 so good or what makes halo 3 and mass effect not diserve these awards
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

This year was great for gaming lots of great games, but every time i wacth or read one either Bioschock or SMG wins in almost all catagories, and every time the shooter award is announced its Call of duty 4, what about mass effect they almost never win except for best story or best rpg, infact gamespot didn't even nomanatie for game f the year, i've played bioshock SMG Halo 3(which never wins anything, don't know why) mass effect and call of duty 4 and mass effect and halo 3 are way better than those other ones, i am just saying please tell me what makes bioshock,SMG, Call of duty 4 so good or what makes halo 3 and mass effect not diserve these awardssupernoob662

Just as the Guy said, SMG is the most unique. I think Five of the highest rated games this year were FPS. SMG stood out and changed a lot of things for its genre.

deavincalhoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deavincalhoun
Member since 2007 • 663 Posts
im happy persona 3 won rpg oty
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26119 Posts

It was a hard choice this year.

Of course it was going to be controversial.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts
I amazed that people actually believe Halo is deserving of awards.
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts

[QUOTE="supernoob662"]This year was great for gaming lots of great games, but every time i wacth or read one either Bioschock or SMG wins in almost all catagories, and every time the shooter award is announced its Call of duty 4, what about mass effect they almost never win except for best story or best rpg, infact gamespot didn't even nomanatie for game f the year, i've played bioshock SMG Halo 3(which never wins anything, don't know why) mass effect and call of duty 4 and mass effect and halo 3 are way better than those other ones, i am just saying please tell me what makes bioshock,SMG, Call of duty 4 so good or what makes halo 3 and mass effect not diserve these awardsRyanShazam

Just as the Guy said, SMG is the most unique. I think Five of the highest rated games this year were FPS. SMG stood out and changed a lot of things for its genre.

SMG changed apsolutely nothing for platformers. Do you think every single platformer that comes out now is going to have you running around galaxies? The answer is no for the slow minded people. SMG's gimick is a one time deal.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RyanShazam
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="supernoob662"]This year was great for gaming lots of great games, but every time i wacth or read one either Bioschock or SMG wins in almost all catagories, and every time the shooter award is announced its Call of duty 4, what about mass effect they almost never win except for best story or best rpg, infact gamespot didn't even nomanatie for game f the year, i've played bioshock SMG Halo 3(which never wins anything, don't know why) mass effect and call of duty 4 and mass effect and halo 3 are way better than those other ones, i am just saying please tell me what makes bioshock,SMG, Call of duty 4 so good or what makes halo 3 and mass effect not diserve these awardsMario2007

SMG changed apsolutely nothing for platformers. Do you think every single platformer that comes out now is going to have you running around galaxies? The answer is no for the slow minded people. SMG's gimick is a one time deal.

Did I say all other games would be the same? No. Has there ever been a platformer like SMG? No. Is that a change for the genre? Yes.

supernoob662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 supernoob662
[QUOTE="Mario2007"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="supernoob662"]This year was great for gaming lots of great games, but every time i wacth or read one either Bioschock or SMG wins in almost all catagories, and every time the shooter award is announced its Call of duty 4, what about mass effect they almost never win except for best story or best rpg, infact gamespot didn't even nomanatie for game f the year, i've played bioshock SMG Halo 3(which never wins anything, don't know why) mass effect and call of duty 4 and mass effect and halo 3 are way better than those other ones, i am just saying please tell me what makes bioshock,SMG, Call of duty 4 so good or what makes halo 3 and mass effect not diserve these awardsRyanShazam

Did I say all other games would be the same? No. Has there ever been a platformer like SMG? No. Is that a change for the genre? Yes.

ryan just pwned mario2007
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts

Mario2007

I don't get why you think it's a "gimmick" as if that was something bad. SMG was better for its respective genre than any other game this year. It just was. It's a perfect platformer, or as close to perfection as there has been.

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

I amazed that people actually believe Halo is deserving of awards.MrDziekuje

Well you have to give Halo 3 credit within its long lasting replay value. Not all games have 4 playercoop that gets ranked, multiplayer matchmaking and a forge editor......but personally I completely agree that even with these features, it has been done better before (Yeah, Far Cry's Instinctslevel editor > Forge) except for matchmaking.

That being said I loved Halo with a passion, I hated Halo 2 in comparison and I had mixed feelings overall with Halo 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I really was very unimpressed with CoD4.. The singlepalyer game was heavily scripted with dumb AI, and the most linear gameplay I have seen in a very long time. The majority of stuff in the game don't even move, TV's barrels, etc.. Apparently barrels are impretrable walls of flak jackets that stop jus tabout eveyrthing. Even disapointed with Bioshock the game was still WAY better then COD4's singleplayer.. Multiplayer is nothing new and as a PC gamer its by no means the best with Unreal games, Counterstrike source/Day of Defeat Source, the Battlefield games, Teamfortress 2 etc etc.

Another thing I didn't understand was why of all versions of the orange box was the Xbox360's up there? Aside from Hl2 and portal's, TF2 is awful on the Xbox360.. The game is entirelly too fast for a gamepad which I noticed painfully when playing my friends..

RTS's i was not surpsied though I never played WiC, all the things on the list were basically the top rts's of the day.. Same for RPG's..

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mario2007
[QUOTE="Mario2007"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

True enough. But SMG isn't to set up any kind of long term revolution for platformers. SMG is just a decent platformer, flawed, but decent platforming, with horrible voice acting, bad camera, poor story, and music that is good, but doesn't fit with the setting. And then it has good graphics. All of that adding up to a good, unremarkable platformer that is certainly not worth a GotY award.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mario2007
Woops my quote screwed up. Read the second to last message in the quote.
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
Hype on several games made people believe they knew what the GOTYs were going to be, they didn't.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 i_like_pizza

True enough. But SMG isn't to set up any kind of long term revolution for platformers. SMG is just a decent platformer, flawed, but decent platforming, with horrible voice acting, bad camera, poor story, and music that is good, but doesn't fit with the setting. And then it has good graphics. All of that adding up to a good, unremarkable platformer that is certainly not worth a GotY award.

Mario2007

Of all of the things that you could say about SMG, you said it has "good graphics?" You have to be kidding me. Its graphics are hardly a step ahead of SMS, which came out YEARS ago. You gave the most inaccurate assessment of SMG that I think I could have ever heard. The only thing I can think of to bash the game for is its graphics. Everything else in the game is absolutely fantastic, and a step ahead of its time.

Btw, when has Mario ever been about voice acting and story?

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

I really was very unimpressed with CoD4.. The singlepalyer game was heavily scripted with dumb AI, and the most linear gameplay I have seen in a very long time. The majority of stuff in the game don't even move, TV's barrels, etc.. Apparently barrels are impretrable walls of flak jackets that stop jus tabout eveyrthing. Even disapointed with Bioshock the game was still WAY better then COD4's singleplayer.. Multiplayer is nothing new and as a PC gamer its by no means the best with Unreal games, Counterstrike source/Day of Defeat Source, the Battlefield games, Teamfortress 2 etc etc.

Another thing I didn't understand was why of all versions of the orange box was the Xbox360's up there? Aside from Hl2 and portal's, TF2 is awful on the Xbox360.. The game is entirelly too fast for a gamepad which I noticed painfully when playing my friends..

RTS's i was not surpsied though I never played WiC, all the things on the list were basically the top rts's of the day.. Same for RPG's..

sSubZerOo

You might have not liked it but I just loved every single second of it (Also please define "most" linear?, a linear game is a linear game). Sure the game didnt have alotof physics when you compare it to the source engine or evenCrytek's but at leastthrough the perspective of a PC gaminglike you it also means that it also has more appealin comparison toCrysisbecause it doesnt demand the hardwareas much. The multiplayer was probably not anything new but a game doesnt NEED to be new for it to be the best, was Team Fortress 2 new? No and neither was Unreal.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RyanShazam
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="Mario2007"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="supernoob662"]This year was great for gaming lots of great games, but every time i wacth or read one either Bioschock or SMG wins in almost all catagories, and every time the shooter award is announced its Call of duty 4, what about mass effect they almost never win except for best story or best rpg, infact gamespot didn't even nomanatie for game f the year, i've played bioshock SMG Halo 3(which never wins anything, don't know why) mass effect and call of duty 4 and mass effect and halo 3 are way better than those other ones, i am just saying please tell me what makes bioshock,SMG, Call of duty 4 so good or what makes halo 3 and mass effect not diserve these awardsMario2007

See thats were me and the gamespot professionals and probably the majority of gamespot members have to disagree with you.

Decent Platforming? I dont know how this even came to your mind. You might not be a Platformer type of guy, even though your name is Mario2007.

Can you explain how it is flawed. While i played i saw no flaws what so ever.

Horrible Voice Acting? They hardly talk in the game.

Bad Camera? It follows you the whole way through. Plus you can center it.

Poor Story? Its ****c Mario. SAVE THE PRINCESS! you should know that by now.

Music That Doesnt Go With the Setting? Personal Prefference. I thought it fit really well.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mario2007
I was impressed with the graphics surprisingly. I thought the texture work was very well, excluding the backrounds.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RyanShazam
BTW that says Classic.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Haee

You might have not liked it but I just loved every single second of it (Also please define "most" linear?, a linear game is a linear game). Sure the game didnt have alotof physics when you compare it to the source engine or evenCrytek's but at leastthrough the perspective of a PC gaminglike you it also means that it also has more appealin comparison toCrysisbecause it doesnt demand the hardwareas much. The multiplayer was probably not anything new but a game doesnt NEED to be new for it to be the best, was Team Fortress 2 new? No and neither was Unreal.

Linear game as it not only controled your path it controled your tempo.. You actually had to wait for people to open doors for you.. Guys had constant respawns alot of times its eemed till you past a certain point.. Rediculous artificial barriers.. Like being unable to pass a small picket fence.. At least in games like FEAR, HL2 etc etc they had majority of the time realistic barriers such as a wall you would odviouslly not be able to pass..

Yes but the game didn't even have physics what so ever compared to say Half-Life 2 a game released years ago.. Now I am not that big a nancy about it.. Its just bothersome to find otu that barrels are some how act like massive walls of concrete..

Yet again I never said Unreal or Team Fortress2 were better.. I merely pointed out that its multiplayer is nothing new (and you have given any reasons on why its the best) what makes it better then the ones I stated?

In my mind we have a alright campaign thats completely on rails with dumb AI, no physics, and a multiplayer thats not bad but as a pc gamer there are already tons of multiplayers out there what makes this so special?

will_work4food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 will_work4food
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
I can't believe SMG won. I'm thinking Nintendo spent some of it's undeserved cash on getting a GOTY.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 i_like_pizza
[QUOTE="Haee"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Linear game as it not only controled your path it controled your tempo.. You actually had to wait for people to open doors for you.. Guys had constant respawns alot of times its eemed till you past a certain point.. Rediculous artificial barriers.. Like being unable to pass a small picket fence.. At least in games like FEAR, HL2 etc etc they had majority of the time realistic barriers such as a wall you would odviouslly not be able to pass..

Yes but the game didn't even have physics what so ever compared to say Half-Life 2 a game released years ago.. Now I am not that big a nancy about it.. Its just bothersome to find otu that barrels are some how act like massive walls of concrete..

Yet again I never said Unreal or Team Fortress2 were better.. I merely pointed out that its multiplayer is nothing new (and you have given any reasons on why its the best) what makes it better then the ones I stated?

In my mind we have a alright campaign thats completely on rails with dumb AI, no physics, and a multiplayer thats not bad but as a pc gamer there are already tons of multiplayers out there what makes this so special?

AI? Haha. You think a platformer needs intense AI?

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 i_like_pizza

I can't believe SMG won. I'm thinking Nintendo spent some of it's undeserved cash on getting a GOTY.will_work4food

How about getting dozens of them?

supernoob662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 supernoob662
odd no one has answered my question, why didn't mass effect and halo 3 win any awards and what makes bioshock, COD4, and SMG so great
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
opinions... just be glad you get to play all those games. (if you have all three consoles)
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts
I haven't played the Witcher but I've heard it's very good. Yet, I don't see hardly any mention of it in the gaming media or anything. I'm guessing because it wasn't as hyped up as the rest. Mass Effect and Bioshock appear to be clear GOTY winners.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

odd no one has answered my question, why didn't mass effect and halo 3 win any awards and what makes bioshock, COD4, and SMG so greatsupernoob662

1 ask the people that gave the awards

2 didn't you play the games?..... it's not THAT hard to see why those games are considered great.