What's the point of all the shooters on the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts

Why would anyone want to play shooters on the PS3?

1. It has a worse online service than the 360 or PC
  2. Barely anyone has a headset and those that do can barely be heard thanks to the quality of bluetooth
  3. It uses a 14 year old joypad with the really bad/innacurate analogue sticks
  4. All the devs working on PS3 shooters aren't exactly known for their track record in the genre. Zipper, Guerilla, Insomniac and Slant Six aren't the best developers in the world. Meanwhile the 360 gets shooters from Epic, Valve and Bungie that aren't on PS3
People like to call the PS3 the shooterbox, but all I see is a bunch of inferior shooters on the console with the worst and most innacurate controller this gen.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

thanks for your opinion, i enjoyed many shooters on PS3, and so far PSN was fine and rarely encountered any lag or connection problems... (must be lucky)..

can't wait for Resistance2 & Killzone2 to get released..... and the DS3 is a great controller...

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MarloStanfield

can't wait for Resistance2 & Killzone2 to get released..... and the DS3 is a great controller...

Malta_1980

It was a great controller 14 years ago, now it and it's useless analogue sticks are archaic. Resistance 2 looks OK (possibly AAA caliber) Killzone 2 looks and sounds terrrrible

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts
Agree, shooters should stick to PC. Resistance, gears, halo they all play much better on PC.
Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
DS3 is fine with me, i enjoy the shooters on ps3 and ill do in the future, its what i like not what other people think
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MarloStanfield

Agree, shooters should stick to PC. Resistance, gears, halo they all play much better on PC.knight-k

Gears doesn't unless you use a pad

REsistance isn't on PC but it's not very good anyway

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

MarloStanfield

It was a great controller 14 years ago, now it and it's useless analogue sticks are archaic. Resistance 2 looks OK (possibly AAA caliber) Killzone 2 looks and sounds terrrrible

you make it seem like the 360 controller is completely different in design.. apart from the positioning of the left anlague/ d-pad, both controllers are practically the same, having 4 triggers, 4 x face buttons and a right analog stick... its funny how most complaints regarding the controller come from non PS3 owners... i have both consoles and both their controllers are fine with me..

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50704 Posts

2. Barely anyone has a headset and those that do can barely be heard thanks to the quality of bluetooth
  4. All the devs working on PS3 shooters aren't exactly known for their track record in the genre. Zipper, Guerilla, Insomniac and Slant Six aren't the best developers in the world. Meanwhile the 360 gets shooters from Epic, Valve and Bungie that aren't on PS3

People like to call the PS3 the shooterbox, but all I see is a bunch of inferior shooters on the console with the worst and most innacurate controller this gen.MarloStanfield

1. PSN is fine.

2. I don't care to talking to people over games.

3. DS3 is just fine.

4. All opinions. I loved R1, even more-so than Gears 1.

Who calls Ps3 shooterbox? First I heard of it. What makes R2 inferior to anything on 360, or KZ2 for that matter?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

Malta_1980

you make it seem like the 360 controller is completely different in design.. apart from the positioning of the left anlague/ d-pad, both controllers are practically the same, having 4 triggers, 4 x face buttons and a right analog stick... its funny how most complaints regarding the controller come from non PS3 owners... i have both consoles and both their controllers are fine with me..

The only complaint I have with DS3 is the formation of the analog sticks. They need to be concave.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

MarloStanfield

what did bother you in KZ2 when you played it, since you must have played the game to know it looks & sounds terrible... otherwise your comment will fall with the thousands of others as being a biased 'fanboyish' comment (not an objective opinion)...

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"][QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

Chutebox

The only complaint I have with DS3 is the formation of the analog sticks. They need to be concave.

that would be better, i agree... but really all these complaints regarding the controller come from non PS3 owners...

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MarloStanfield

what did bother you in KZ2 when you played it, since you must have played the game to know it looks & sounds terrible... otherwise your comment will fall with the thousands of others as being a biased 'fanboyish' comment (not an objective opinion)...

Malta_1980

I've played enough of Guerilla's games to know how much they suck, you apparently haven't

that would be better, i agree... but really all these complaints regarding the controller come from non PS3 owners...

Malta_1980

Yeah, complaints about the poor quality of the analogue sticks and lack of triggers can only come from fanboys.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox

Malta_1980

Most complaints dealing with Ps3 do.

Most...

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
Killzone 2 looks and sounds terrrribleMarloStanfield
If anything you can say KZ2 will play terribly, but there's no way you can say KZ2 looks and sounds terrible. C'mon, have you even bothered to look at some of the videos around?
primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 primateface
Member since 2008 • 1095 Posts

People like to call the PS3 the shooterbox, but all I see is a bunch of inferior shooters on the console with the worst and most innacurate controller this gen.MarloStanfield

guerilla is a sony owned developer and zipper interactive and insomniac games has close friendship with naughtydog sony owned developer.

microsoft lacks first party support ...they need to offer a wider variety of exclusive first person shooters/third person.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 primateface
Member since 2008 • 1095 Posts

fps/tps control just fine on a ps3 controller.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

MarloStanfield

I've played enough of Guerilla's games to know how much they suck, you apparently haven't

and that means what? i've played many great games coming from great devs only to be disappointed with sequels which didnt live up to expectations...

I played games coming from Guerilla and know that KZ1 wasnt a great shooter, but that doesnt mean its sequel will be bad...

PS :- what's apparent though is the hate you have towards PS3 which is reflected in all your posts... why is that?

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MarloStanfield

and that means what? i've played many great games coming from great devs only to be disappointed with sequels which didnt live up to expectations...

Malta_1980

That means that they are crap developers and based on their development history and the mixed previews the game is getting it would be wise to temper your expectations

PS :- what's apparent though is the hate you have towards PS3 which is reflected in all your posts... why is that?

Malta_1980

It's not hate it's criticism of a pretty poor console

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

MarloStanfield

That means that they are crap developers and based on their development history and the mixed previews the game is getting it would be wise to temper your expectations

Malta_1980

It's not hate it's criticism of a pretty poor console

its always wise to temper expectations on upcoming titles... seeing how Unreal III did (underdelivered), seems like even the mighty EPIC can loose their magic touch with sequels... (if you know what i mean and to what i'm referring)..

its not only crap devs who underdeliver on promises, but even the big ones....

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
Because sony follows, they don't lead. They followed Nintendo for years and now do the same with Microsoft.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MarloStanfield

its always wise to temper expectations on upcoming titles... seeing how Unreal III did (underdelivered), seems like even the mighty EPIC can loose their magic touch with sequels... (if you know what i mean and to what i'm referring)..

Malta_1980

I don't actually rate Epic that highly but I do think Gears 2 will be better than Resistance 2. Resistance 2 seems more ambitious but it's still an FPS on the PS3 from unproven FPS developers and there are more than enough battlefield clones on the market to make the multiplayer appealing.

Malta_1980

True, but it's unwise to assume that a laughable developer like Guerilla can suddenly make good games. Good faith has to be earned

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lusitanogamer

It's not hate it's criticism of a pretty poor console MarloStanfield
Do you have a PS3? If you don't you don't qualify to say it is a poor console. Even if you own one, it's just your opinion on the console, doesn't mean other people don't find it an excellent console.

I only own a PS3 and i think it's great, couldn't be more happier with it, but you don't see me calling the 360 or Wii poor consoles.

shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

MarloStanfield

I don't actually rate Epic that highly but I do think Gears 2 will be better than Resistance 2. Resistance 2 seems more ambitious but it's still an FPS on the PS3 from unproven FPS developers and there are more than enough battlefield clones on the market to make the multiplayer appealing.

Malta_1980

True, but it's unwise to assume that a laughable developer like Guerilla can suddenly make good games. Good faith has to be earned

Werent the good devs bad at some point? you cant start out good... you obviously have to earn it (like you said) and the wa to earn that respect is to make games... good games...

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MarloStanfield

Werent the good devs bad at some point? you cant start out good... you obviously have to earn it (like you said) and the wa to earn that respect is to make games... good games...

shahchip

They've never earned it and as far as I can tell they never will

Guerilla aren't OK devs, they're bad devs. They've got a long way to go

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lusitanogamer
Because sony follows, they don't lead. They followed Nintendo for years and now do the same with Microsoft. CreepyBacon
So during PS1 and PS2 eras Sony didn't lead, they followed?
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

MarloStanfield

its not that i want to defend Guerilla, but one cannot judge an upcoming title and say its will be crap just because previous games they made were average to good titles (i consider KZ on PSP a good title)...

as regards EPIC and Geow2, i also think that they will make a great game considering that if they keep the original formula with maybe a better story and a few original ideas its more than enough...

What i meant is that all the hate KZ2 is getting is based on nothing, because so far from previews its getting by the media from people who actually played the game are mostly positive.. its wont be a perfect game but seems like Guerilla are doing a good job...

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

1.) Well to me, the online is solid. It doesnt have all the bells and whistles of Xbox Live, and certainly not the PS3... but I have no problem meeting up with my friends on the PSN and playing COD4 together and what not.
2.) As long as my buddies have a headset I dont care really. And I use a USB mic, and so do my buds. SOCOM mics from 2005, saaaahwwwweeeeeeetttt!!!
3.) They arent that bad. If you are good at the game, the DS3 isnt going to hold you back 95% of the time. There are times when the sticks arent as accurate as I wish they were, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
4.) Only shooter I've played from the PS3 devs you listed is Resistance from Insomniac which I loved. And I had the Orange Box, but I didnt care for it. Epic - man I love Gears, but UT3 was a dissapointment. And Halo 3 is great.

All in all if it's a great shooter then it will still be a great shooter on the PS3. COD4 was a blast on the PS3 (probably identical to the 360 version I would say) but then games like Haze are terrible. So it really comes down to whether or not the game is actually good rather than whether or not the PS3 is a good system for shooters.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"]

People like to call the PS3 the shooterbox, but all I see is a bunch of inferior shooters on the console with the worst and most innacurate controller this gen.carljohnson3456

1.) Well to me, the online is solid. It doesnt have all the bells and whistles of Xbox Live, and certainly not the PS3... but I have no problem meeting up with my friends on the PSN and playing COD4 together and what not.
2.) As long as my buddies have a headset I dont care really. And I use a USB mic, and so do my buds. SOCOM mics from 2005, saaaahwwwweeeeeeetttt!!!
3.) They arent that bad. If you are good at the game, the DS3 isnt going to hold you back 95% of the time. There are times when the sticks arent as accurate as I wish they were, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
4.) Only shooter I've played from the PS3 devs you listed is Resistance from Insomniac which I loved. And I had the Orange Box, but I didnt care for it. Epic - man I love Gears, but UT3 was a dissapointment. And Halo 3 is great.

All in all if it's a great shooter then it will still be a great shooter on the PS3. COD4 was a blast on the PS3 (probably identical to the 360 version I would say) but then games like Haze are terrible. So it really comes down to whether or not the game is actually good rather than whether or not the PS3 is a good system for shooters.

Off topic!

Dude, in that video the way Walters was staring at her gave me the creeps...

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"][QUOTE="MarloStanfield"]

People like to call the PS3 the shooterbox, but all I see is a bunch of inferior shooters on the console with the worst and most innacurate controller this gen.Chutebox

Off topic!

Dude, in that video the way Walters was staring at her gave me the creeps...

Oh I know. I totally agree. I kinda have to look away everytime I see that part.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
The only thing I agree with is the lack luster toggles on the PS controller. They are too loose. Always have been since PS1. Other than that, its ok.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts
I agree with the 4 points. That is why Haze was released on the PS3.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MarloStanfield

carljohnson3456

Fair point, and I was stretching it a bit with Number one. But I still thik that voice chat is essential for online shooters, especially battlefield clones (which is every exclusive shooter on the PS3)

I hate the sticks though, they feel really weird and innacurate, and the devs working on 360 shooters have better track records than the devs working on PS3 shooters