What's the ill-est thought out game mechanic of this generations

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58852 Posts

Hello. What is the worst throught out mechanic of this generation?

In Resident Evil Revelations 2 you play little girl, you point at thing. You do that for roughly 20-30 hours.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Worst game mechanic beyond any shadow of a doubt is open world disease 'go anywhere, do anything right from the start'.

They completely cheapen their own game world that took them years to design by allowing you to explore the whole thing with no consequences (hello level scaling, another horrible 'modern' game mechanic) because that is so cool right?

5 million side quests do them all and level up it makes no odds because all monsters level right along with you. So rewarding. I don't remember any other generation where both devs and gamers were completely stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The climbing in Uncharted 4, how no one in quality control told them that maybe they should bring it down a notch. GoW does it so much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Trying to take the art of playing a game away from you known as Sony's movie games.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@uninspiredcup: How the hell did revelations 2 take you that long?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Breakable weapons in botw. I had a lot of issues with that game, but that shit ruined the experience the most.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

BOTW broken weapons mechanics. That shit is so bad I wondered just how critics can love it to point giving it goty over Nier.

Horizon melee combat. my encounters always ends up with melee in some form and damn the melee is clunky as fuk.

Since you count RE revelations 2 which is last gen, I want to nominate invisible blocked doors. Games with linear experiences like TLoU, Half Life 2 or open world games does this.

dorkmeister579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dorkmeister579
Member since 2018 • 37 Posts

@sakaixx: The thing with Breath of the Wild’s weapon durability is that it keeps one weapon from being completely overpowered.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup  Online
@creepywelps said:

@uninspiredcup: How the hell did revelations 2 take you that long?

I'm not very good at games.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

Worst game mechanic beyond any shadow of a doubt is open world disease 'go anywhere, do anything right from the start'.

They completely cheapen their own game world that took them years to design by allowing you to explore the whole thing with no consequences (hello level scaling, another horrible 'modern' game mechanic) because that is so cool right?

5 million side quests do them all and level up it makes no odds because all monsters level right along with you. So rewarding. I don't remember any other generation where both devs and gamers were completely stupid.

Same complaint as Oblivion got in 2006.

Same mechanic as worshipped classics like the Baldur's Gate games had back in the late 90s.

Level scaling is fine.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@phbz said:

The climbing in Uncharted 4, how no one in quality control told them that maybe they should bring it down a notch. GoW does it so much better.

Damn the first 2 posts of this thread actually had some effort behind them, then comes this clown with his useless reply. No wonder the quality of SW is down.

Anyhow, my pick is BOTW. To me its breakable weapon mechanic is annoying as fruck. I wonder how the game got a 10, tbh.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

Trying to take the art of playing a game away from you known as Sony's movie games.

That's funny......... I manage to play through all of them without issue.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

For me it would have to be going online to play others....... it should be the easiest thing in the world to do and so many games make it much more complicated then it needs to be with some of them requiring you to navigate through multiple menu screens for no other reason then to piss the player off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

The way Detroit and other QD games play. 'Spin the right thumbstick and hold the L button' to wash up a plate etc...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@needhealing: Sorry, my mistake. Uncharted 4 is perfect, I wish it had at least more 29h of climbing it's so well implemented. ND can't do no wrong. Should have scored 200/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

I think the Vehicle mechanic in Star Wars EAFront 1 & 2 deserves to be here.

In old Battlefront games you could go into vehicles on map and exit them if you wanted to capture command posts and you could also steal enemy vehicles. But in EA ones you just pick the powerup to "turn you into a vehicle" and you can't hop out of them like original ones.(Even Elite Squadron on PSP did a better job here)

In the sequel they didn't made that better you have to pick a vehicle in the spawn menu which is lame.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Zelda BOTW weapon breaking is by far the worst thing to happen in years for video games.

It defeats the entire purpose of playing the game. What is the point of beating a dungeon to get a better weapon if everything breaks in 3 hits?

There is no sense of accomplishment or reward.

This discourages the player from doing any side quests or dungeons as they are essentially pointless.

So you might as well run straight to Ganon as soon as the game starts and beat him in 20 minutes, which you can do.

That is the worst design I have ever seen for a video game.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Fighter Within. All of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Trico.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Forza rewind, its the most stupid feature that makes the game to easy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@npiet1 said:

Forza rewind, its the most stupid feature that makes the game to easy

You don't ever have to use it though. Just like the racing line it's optional.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@boycie: yeah but it's there and i find myself using it lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

As with older gens, quick-time events. I mean...why? Tap something to push the attacking dog off you...spin the joystick to wash the dish...it's all so lame. They pretend to add depth to the games by adding in this component but all they do is make it silly. If the dog attacks me, I should die; that's what I get for letting something with teeth get within 5 feet of me when I'm a super-badass soldier. If I need to simulate washing dishes or giving backrubs or waving hello with a controller, that's super lame, let me do something I can't do in real life.

@dorog1995 said:

I think the Vehicle mechanic in Star Wars EAFront 1 & 2 deserves to be here.

In old Battlefront games you could go into vehicles on map and exit them if you wanted to capture command posts and you could also steal enemy vehicles. But in EA ones you just pick the powerup to "turn you into a vehicle" and you can't hop out of them like original ones.(Even Elite Squadron on PSP did a better job here)

In the sequel they didn't made that better you have to pick a vehicle in the spawn menu which is lame.

Agreed. Would have been better as "Battlefield: Star Wars" and not the "Battlefront" reboot they went with; the old Battlefront 1/2 were like the former, and it was great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

As with older gens, quick-time events. I mean...why? Tap something to push the attacking dog off you...spin the joystick to wash the dish...it's all so lame. They pretend to add depth to the games by adding in this component but all they do is make it silly. If the dog attacks me, I should die; that's what I get for letting something with teeth get within 5 feet of me when I'm a super-badass soldier. If I need to simulate washing dishes or giving backrubs or waving hello with a controller, that's super lame, let me do something I can't do in real life.

I think QTEs work well for some parts that don't work well with the basic mechanics of the game.

For example if Shenmue didn't have QTEs then the chase sequences would have been awkward. Sleeping Dogs had none QTE chase sequences and in there you have to just hold the W and space to get enemies.(Which made them somewhat boring)

Resident Evil 4's Knife Battle would have also been awful if instead of QTE cutscene you had the same knife mechanic that you have in the majority of the game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@dorog1995: I agree they can add some cinematic moments to a game while not killing immersion. I should have specified I just feel they are too prevalent these days. Having games built around them, for example.

Which is funny, because I just yelled at someone for thinking QTE games aren't games in another thread hahaha.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@locopatho said:
@blueinheaven said:

Same mechanic as worshipped classics like the Baldur's Gate games had back in the late 90s.

Level scaling is fine.

To lump Oblivion level scaling together with what BG had is being pretty clueless.

In BG, no unique fights are altered by the player level AT ALL, only random encounters. And different monster types and such are added, not the same shit suddenly becoming magically more powerful like in Oblivious, which is just retarded.

example - there's an undead spawn spot. 3 Mummies. Depending on your level more enemies appear in addition to that, 2 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies, 1 bone golem and finally if you're level is high enough, a lich on top of it.

Nothing is ever scaled DOWN in BG to match the player level. Only more difficulty is added.

This is such a tiny game mechanic in BG, and can in no way be compared to Oblivion which is the ultimate example of terrible level scaling, with EVERYTHING scaling (including loot....just lol) up or down to the players level making it all feel utterly pointless. Horrible horribleness.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

White painted edges (can be yellow as well but usually they're white) on climb routes in multiple games. Did the designers think "how can we make our game even easier than it now?". It completely breaks any modicum of immersion the games may have had.

It's truly absurd when you think about it in real world terms, who painted the rocks and hand holds on the wall of a long abandoned temple that no one has been near for hundreds of years? (apart from the painter who navigated all the traps and puzzles to mark the route of course).

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I honestly can’t think of a brand new game mechanic this generation. Drawing a blank.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I'm sad they don't use the sixaxis for balancing sections in games anymore, :(.

I can't think of anything new either.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@bussinrounds said:

To lump Oblivion level scaling together with what BG had is being pretty clueless.

In BG, no unique fights are altered by the player level AT ALL, only random encounters. And different monster types and such are added, not the same shit suddenly becoming magically more powerful like in Oblivious, which is just retarded.

example - there's an undead spawn spot. 3 Mummies. Depending on your level more enemies appear in addition to that, 2 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies, 1 bone golem and finally if you're level is high enough, a lich on top of it.

Nothing is ever scaled DOWN in BG to match the player level. Only more difficulty is added.

This is such a tiny game mechanic in BG, and can in no way be compared to Oblivion which is the ultimate example of terrible level scaling, with EVERYTHING scaling (including loot....just lol) up or down to the players level making it all feel utterly pointless. Horrible horribleness.

Yeah, you're a higher level, so instead of weak mummies you face a Lich and 2 Skeleton Warriors, all of whom drop better treasure. Textbook level scaling.

People just want to excuse it in "classics" while ragging on it in modern games (not that Oblivion is modern anymore!)

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@Renegade_Fury said:

Breakable weapons in botw. I had a lot of issues with that game, but that shit ruined the experience the most.

+1

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bussinrounds
@locopatho said:

People just want to excuse it in "classics" while ragging on it in modern games (not that Oblivion is modern anymore!)

No, people will excuse it when it's not implemented horrendously ruining the entire game, like with the pos game Oblivion.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts
@bussinrounds said:
@locopatho said:
@blueinheaven said:

Level scaling is fine.

There's no point arguing with anyone who thinks level scaling is fine. They obviously don't play RPG's for the same reasons we do. Maybe it's like an adventure game to them and character progression and advancement means nothing if they can look at the nice trees and lakes? Dunno.

Anyway I agree with you. If I see an RPG I'm interested in I google the name and 'level scaling' and if scaling is in, I am right the **** out. Utterly pointless experience.

Vrokespell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vrokespell
Member since 2017 • 25 Posts

@locopatho:

You are not being fair here. The way that BG implemented level scaling wasn't as game breaking as how Oblivion did it. In BGII you had to select a region from a map and then there was a chance that a fight would trigger. There wasn't any exploration in any sense of the word. It really wasn't a game feature but a distraction at most since most of the leveling was done by questing anyways. In Oblivion, crappy level scaling was really important as the combat and exploration where the only way to level up as there wasn't any way to meaningful way to make progress by questing. This especially true with how meaningless they made the non-combat skills. Bethesda definitely thought their level scaling in the ill-est of ways.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

It brought out an emphasis on exploration, survival, and resource management that they were clearly going for.

If weapons didn't break early players could also go find really good weapons at the start and the game would be too easy.

That said, I'm sure most were thinking (even if they won't admit it) that weapons broke way too quickly. It would have been nice to somehow store about-to-break-weapons with no capacity penalty so you could keep playing and get it fixed later if you liked it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't sorta situation.

It would have been nice to have more options- to turn breakable weapons on and off, or maybe don't have breakable weapons and instead the actual weapons (swords, spears, etc) scale with the players leveling up, and the more tool/item weapons (deku leaf, woodcutters axe, etc) at a base damage number the whole time.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

RPG leveling elements inserted into many games. FPS? Check. TPS? Check. Third-person-action game? Check. Online-games?Check. Mobile games? Check. F me. Every game has leveling only because they can sell pay-to-win or shortcut methods.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

It brought out an emphasis on exploration, survival, and resource management that they were clearly going for.

If weapons didn't break early players could also go find really good weapons at the start and the game would be too easy.

That said, I'm sure most were thinking (even if they won't admit it) that weapons broke way too quickly. It would have been nice to somehow store about-to-break-weapons with no capacity penalty so you could keep playing and get it fixed later if you liked it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't sorta situation.

It would have been nice to have more options- to turn breakable weapons on and off, or maybe don't have breakable weapons and instead the actual weapons (swords, spears, etc) scale with the players leveling up, and the more tool/item weapons (deku leaf, woodcutters axe, etc) at a base damage number the whole time.

I just think durability is a stupid mechanic in general. No one likes it in Soulsborne, and Nioh, which has far better gameplay than botw, didn't have it at all. I have never once felt that it brought any sort of survival like immersion, and in a game like Zelda, where the fighting is so shallow as is, it did nothing but needlessly inhibit progress. That, and the fact you can't even repair weapons aside from those "special ones" just made it 10X more infuriating. For example, going up against a guardian in one of those shrines was such a pain, because even though they had simple patterns, half of your inventory was still going to be decimated due to how fragile everything was. I hope it's reworked or completely removed altogether in the next game, otherwise I'm probably going to pass on it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#39 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@phbz said:

It just had no challenge to it. I remember dying in the first 2 in the platforming. 4's was literally just filler and it was boring.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup  Online
@cdragon_88 said:

RPG leveling elements inserted into many games.

-

Side note, another terrible mechanic is the way Evil Within implemented it. Having to run around a hub to go to a chair, opening door after door. Having to drop points in "run more than 5 feet" and all sorts of stuff just to reach "competent" was bullshit. And the game would have been better without it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: -2

#41 deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
Member since 2018 • 191 Posts

Without a doubt, the weapon breaking in Breath of the Wild.

Absolutely terrible.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

@lightsbane: Seriously? What was bad about the weapon durability system?

BotW gives you tons and tons of weapons, so you're rarely running out of them, and the weapon durability system (and weather effects, puzzles, etc.) encourage you to use a variety of them. It also tension to fights, adds a risk/reward mechanic with your choice of weapon, and rewards preparation before a big battle.

The game doesn't feature traditional weapon stats, so the usual open world/RPG strategy of giving you a new +12 damage sword every ten hours wouldn't really work for BotW. And the game would be dead boring if you could just pick a favourite sword and use it the rest of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: -2

#43 deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
Member since 2018 • 191 Posts
@Planeforger said:

The game doesn't feature traditional weapon stats, so the usual open world/RPG strategy of giving you a new +12 damage sword every ten hours wouldn't really work for BotW. And the game would be dead boring if you could just pick a favourite sword and use it the rest of the game.

But that's precisely what I love about games like Dark Souls.

You test various weapons, find your favorite(s), infuse it the way you want, and then you master the weapon(s).
You practice the move set until it is embedded in your brain. Every weapon is viable, be it a bastard sword, a knife or a freaking pickaxe. All can be used against any enemy, at any stage of the game, with great success.
In PvP, as long as you're good, you can hold your own against any invader with any combination of weapons and spells.

In Breath of the Wild you go around breaking shit. Repeatedly.
Oh, you love that weapon? Broken. Use this other piece of shit that you hate instead.
Oh, you've mastered that weapon? Too bad. It's gone. Go find something else remotely similar.

It's not like Dark Souls doesn't have durability. It does. But it's never so annoying that it actually bothers me, it usually just costs me some souls.
In BotW it's a complete joke. Absolutely hate it. Don't know what they were thinking!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts

mobile game app integration, like the AC Unity mobile game tie-in for unlocking special chests in the game, so awful most people here already forgot about it

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bussinrounds

@blueinheaven said:
@bussinrounds said:
@locopatho said:
@blueinheaven said:

Level scaling is fine.

There's no point arguing with anyone who thinks level scaling is fine. They obviously don't play RPG's for the same reasons we do. Maybe it's like an adventure game to them and character progression and advancement means nothing if they can look at the nice trees and lakes? Dunno.

Anyway I agree with you. If I see an RPG I'm interested in I google the name and 'level scaling' and if scaling is in, I am right the **** out. Utterly pointless experience.

Yea, it's funny how a lot of console gamers held Oblivion in such high regard, just because they never played an open world RPG and all they knew were JRPGs before that.

Meanwhile for seasoned cRPG fans it was one of the biggest disappointments ever in gaming and the one that is often looked at as being the symbol of the great decline of RPGs, leading to the more dumbed down hand hold-y experiences that permeate modern mainstream gaming as we know it today.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

BOTW STUPID AND I MEAN STUPID weapon durability system. After 30 hours of it I gave up because cause everything I earned just broke with in the the next few enemy fights. Even the master swords dumb recharging to use again just broke it for me...

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Zelda Breath of the Wild

And here we have a stone tablet that can do fucking everything. Count the things, it does all the things. It probably even makes blended coffee... It did not feel like a well thought out mechanic at all.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

From recent memory, Zelda BOTW weapon breakage system.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@cdragon_88 said:

RPG leveling elements inserted into many games. FPS? Check. TPS? Check. Third-person-action game? Check. Online-games?Check. Mobile games? Check. F me. Every game has leveling only because they can sell pay-to-win or shortcut methods.

This. I love Nioh, but after a while (and especially after they updated it plenty of times), the game became more of a test of how strong your character is. Leveling your weapons and armor is too laborious late game. I still did it anyway.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

BOTW STUPID AND I MEAN STUPID weapon durability system. After 30 hours of it I gave up because cause everything I earned just broke with in the the next few enemy fights. Even the master swords dumb recharging to use again just broke it for me...

... and I completed it two times a row with no problems. I guess one either absolutely hates the weapon degradation system in this game or don't really mind having it.