What's the best competitive shooter this gen?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44939 Posts

I'm going with my main man Rainbow Six Siege. It's a really smart and competitive game. Has destructible environments and cool use of gadgets and tech. Operators have their own unique abilities. Ubisoft has given it lots of support. It's easy to get new Operators by just playing the game. It's not much of a grind in that respect. I guess if you want all of the cosmetic stuff that would be a grind. But yea, smart game, lots of fun, and the best competitive shooter this gen in my opinion. But what about you, SW? What is your choice?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45995 Posts

I like class sytems and historical settings, so I'm gonna go with Battlefield V.

Insurgency Sandstorm is really cool too and is getting an expansion later today.

I've never tried Rainbow Six Siege, but I heard it's one of the more succesful live service models.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Don't play mp at all nowadays :(

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38123 Posts

Escape From Tarkov.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

I like class sytems and historical settings, so I'm gonna go with Battlefield V.

Insurgency Sandstorm is really cool too and is getting an expansion later today.

I've never tried Rainbow Six Siege, but I heard it's one of the more succesful live service models.

dude, you gotta give it a go!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic said:

dude, you gotta give it a go!

Hah! In reallity I've been moving away from online shooters. After spending hundreds of hours on team-based shooters like Rising Storm 2, Day of Infamy and Battlefield 1&V, I'd just like to dedicate more time on singleplayer games.

Finished AC: Odyssey, RDR2 and Mario Odyssey recently, feels good :D

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

Halo 5, is the only right answer. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Rainbow Six Siege

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k: Rainbow Six isn't a huge time sink. It's not like Battlefield where you have to level up and stuff. Your character has everything they need.

@SecretPolice said:

Halo 5, is the only right answer. :P

You mean Halo 5 Infinite?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

Modern Warfare is actually really fun

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SecretPolice

@SolidGame_basic:

No, just Halo 5.

The upcoming Halo is Halo: Infinite.

But yeah, good subconscious instincts of yours just knowing later this year Halo: Infinite will no doubt be the best of the best of the best, sir, for both SP and MP game-play. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic: For me it really is about it being a team game i.e. leading my team to victory.

Which is why I should also really like games like CS and R6, but they don't speak to me a much.

I also really like playing as a class. for example a medic that focusses on reviving or a machinegunner, that focusses on holding the line.

And last but not least the setting is really important to me. Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, these are games that focus on battles that actually happened (for the most part). Armied that actually clashed. I find that infinitely appealing.

This is also why you'd never see me playing a Battle Royale game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

@SecretPolice said:

@SolidGame_basic:

No, just Halo 5.

But yeah, good subconscious instincts of yours just knowing later this year Halo: Infinite will no doubt be the best of the best of the best, sir, for both SP and MP game-play. :P

lol, I hope it's good. Why would someone want a game to be bad?! What about Gears Oblivion: Skyward Sword?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
@sakaixx said:

I agree, I had fun in the online. The movement and gunplay feel really good.

Where I really dislike COD though is the maps and how small the maps feel.

It literally feels like killing someone in front of you and they spawn right behind you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice

@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

@SolidGame_basic:

No, just Halo 5.

lol, I hope it's good. Why would someone want a game to be bad?! What about Gears Oblivion: Skyward Sword?

Oh man, don't even tease me with a good time. lol :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SolidGame_basic: For me it really is about it being a team game i.e. leading my team to victory.

Which is why I should also really like games like CS and R6, but they don't speak to me a much.

I also really like playing as a class. for example a medic that focusses on reviving or a machinegunner, that focusses on holding the line.

And last but not least the setting is really important to me. Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, these are games that focus on battles that actually happened (for the most part). Armied that actually clashed. I find that infinitely appealing.

This is also why you'd never see me playing a Battle Royale game.

There are at least two Operators that can heal in the game. There is also a machine gunner dude. As for setting, yea it doesn't have any historical places. But the level design is really good.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@sakaixx said:

I agree, I had fun in the online. The movement and gunplay feel really good.

Where I really dislike COD though is the maps and how small the maps feel.

It literally feels like killing someone in front of you and they spawn right behind you.

MW beta felt like that changed a little.

COD is the only MP I play, though I play like every 6 months for 6 months. I only get treyarch ones though.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9477 Posts

My guess is that people are saying Rainbow Six Siege, but that game sucks ass in my own personal opinion, I have tried to get into it 100 times starting launch day and just can't. I know it's a different type of one life game and I'm completely ok with that, but the one thing that KILLS the game for me is that as a defender I can't leave the premises of the building without being auto spotted. If they would have just added a couple other game modes I probably would have loved the game. I'm really hoping that if they ever have a Siege 2 that they give us other modes and not just make it all surrounding a single mode I really don't like... Just give us some classic modes like demolition, elimination, capture the flag, control, etc, to go along with the main hostage/building mode and I would be all in.

On that note I'm going with either one life Call of Duty Modern Warfare or one life Warface. (This is for console)

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Overwatch, halo 5, and Valorant for me. Yes I know there are controversies for Valorant but the gameplay is solid.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

Third Person Shooter: Gears 5

First Person Shooter: Halo 5

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

CS:GO is still my go-to for competitive shooters, but for this gen, I'm going with Valorant. It's a throwback to 1.6 style of movement and shooting mechanics, far different but familiar with CS:GO. Teamwork is essential with this game, and the skills and agents(no matter how broken some skills are), are a nice change of pace.

Still, nothing can top CS:GO for me, unless they re-release 1.6 in Source 2 :P

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

OW is the only competitive game that got its hooks in me, but its longevity faltered as the nuance of 1v1 fights was lost when character designs strayed into hard-counter territory and lessened the emphasis of shooting mechanics.

Halo 5 was good for a bit, but my competitive aptitude no longer lies on consoles.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 998 Posts

Isn't it Overwatch? Not like I would know, never played it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic

@nfamouslegend said:

Isn't it Overwatch? Not like I would know, never played it.

meh, Overwatch is so 2016

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9777 Posts

The ftp warzone was fun until season 4. No idea who would prefer the pointless team death match over plunder.

Bf5 was good, but not as good as bf1.

Rainbow six is excellent, I'm just constantly outclassed.

Pubg is still my go to mp game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. I still can't get over how Ubisoft fluked their way into an absolute gem of a multiplayer game. Siege isn't just great for this gen, it's all time great. Every bit as good as Counterstrike if not better.

I'm not big on ADS n hitscan shooters with low ttk, as the gameplay becomes little more than positioning challenges, but Siege adds so much to your space to make getting positioning a thrill. The destruction completely changes lines of sight, you have so much in terms of gathering recon between your RC cars, to the cameras on defense, to the sound system (which admittedly needs work), to Daikabie, to finka, pulse,

the ways you can breach areas vertically, from the side, from underneath, the multi layered nature of the maps, and the headshot or bust shooting.

It's had problems a bunch, that's the Ubisoft factor, but the sheer depth of gameplay in Siege ranks it among my favorites. It's no arena FPS, but as far as tactical shooters are concerned it's probably my favorite, ever.

CSGO, Valorant are also a lot of fun, for fairly obvious reasons.

Dug Halo 5 a lot, core mechanics feel nice. Lawbreakers n Toxikk tanking commercially bums me out. Unreal Tournament 4 and Quake Champions not living up to their franchise glory also bums me out, but they have a reasonable enough community to still be fun to play. Gotta get my bunnyhopping n strafe jumping in.

Reflex: Arena is actually as good as Siege, but that poor game did so bad sales wise. It's the best thing since CPMA and barely anyone played it.

@Basinboy said:

OW is the only competitive game that got its hooks in me, but its longevity faltered as the nuance of 1v1 fights was lost when character designs strayed into hard-counter territory and lessened the emphasis of shooting mechanics.

Lmfao, in what world was Overwatch not that to begin with?