What's so special about Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled anyways?

  • 71 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#1 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

Back in my January 2019 thread having to do with anticipation on 2019 racing games. I've seen that most users voted for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled but it's just a remaster/remake of a typical combat kart racer released back in 1999.

I'm still curious on why most users are so hyped up for this?

All I can see this is just pretty much the same as original but having better graphics plus some additional content from Crash Nitro Kart.

P.S I'm boycotting Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled because personally I'm not really into kart racing games in general also I'm not a fan of platformers especially Crash Bandicoot series.

Avatar image for knight-k
#2 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

Because it's the GOAT kart racer of all time.

Even TO THIS DAY I still play CTR on a weekly basis with friends and even though we have all the newest kart games we still prefer CTR. It's very skill based, something mario kart lacks imo. (except for Mario Kart DS)

And to me, normal racing games are boring. Forza, GT, Grid all boring imo.

Avatar image for nepu7supastar7
#3 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5150 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18:

Like N' Sane Trilogy, Nitro Fueled is a 2 games in 1 package and includes offline and online multiplayer. Online being something completely new for Tag Team Racing. So yeah, there's plenty to be excited about. As long as you like kart racing.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#4 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@knight-k said:

Because it's the GOAT kart racer of all time.

Even TO THIS DAY I still play CTR on a weekly basis with friends and even though we have all the newest kart games we still prefer CTR. It's very skill based, something mario kart lacks imo. (except for Mario Kart DS)

And to me, normal racing games are boring. Forza, GT, Grid all boring imo.

How is Mario Kart inferior to Crash Team Racing in your opinion?

And second of all the reason why you reckon Forza, GT, Grid, DiRT are boring in your opinion just because you don't like motorsports.

Avatar image for davillain-
#5 Posted by DaVillain- (37513 posts) -

Oh yes, I remember I did voted Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled in you're poll thread.

Not much of a history to tell you why CTR is a big deal but anyhow, I've always liked CTR more than Mario Kart 64. Weapons feel better, Epic single player campaign too, and I played the PS1 CTR alot as a kid. The simple answer I can say what makes this Nitro-Fueled so special is the nostalgic feel and their aren't that many racing karts these days and the racing simulators are taking over as it is, I just wanna see more kart racing games before this gen is over.

Looking back at the Nitro-Fueled trailer, I would love to see Nintendo remastering Diddy Kong Racing for Switch, now that game has more charm then Mario Kart 64.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#6 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Oh yes, I remember I did voted Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled in you're poll thread.

Not much of a history to tell you why CTR is a big deal but anyhow, I've always liked CTR more than Mario Kart 64. Weapons feel better, Epic single player campaign too, and I played the PS1 CTR alot as a kid. The simple answer I can say what makes this Nitro-Fueled so special is the nostalgic feel and their aren't that many racing karts these days and the racing simulators are taking over as it is, I just wanna see more kart racing games before this gen is over.

Looking back at the Nitro-Fueled trailer, I would love to see Nintendo remastering Diddy Kong Racing for Switch, now that game has more charm then Mario Kart 64.

It would be great to see Nintendo remastering Diddy Kong Racing and having new content.

Also I want to see Nintendo to remaster one of F-Zero games for Switch.

Avatar image for Litchie
#7 Edited by Litchie (24132 posts) -

I don't know. Probably that it's one of the few kart racers that comes somewhat close to Mario Kart's greatness.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#8 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@Litchie said:

I don't know. Probably that it's one of the few kart racers that comes somewhat close to Mario Kart's greatness.

Yep pretty much, I've seen heaps of internet users comparing Mario Kart to other Kart racers.

To me generally Mario Kart is still better than Crash Team Racing when it comes to gameplay, character roster and track designs IMO.

Also Team Sonic Racing is another kart racer comparable to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#9 Posted by robert_sparkes (3230 posts) -

Mk is better but there's room for more than one kart racer.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#10 Posted by Vaidream45 (2009 posts) -

This was the Mario Kart for all non Nintendo gamers and this is exactly what millions of fans have been asking for since the PS1 era. I would be hyped too but I’ve been playing every Mario Kart and satisfied with my kart racing since the SNES so I won’t be getting this unless we get a solid pc port.

Avatar image for Sgt_Crow
#11 Posted by Sgt_Crow (6094 posts) -

It's the closest thing gamers without a Nintendo system have to Mario Kart. That's pretty much it.
Not saying it's bad, on the contrary, but it's not exactly Mario Kart either.

Avatar image for knight-k
#12 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@knight-k said:

Because it's the GOAT kart racer of all time.

Even TO THIS DAY I still play CTR on a weekly basis with friends and even though we have all the newest kart games we still prefer CTR. It's very skill based, something mario kart lacks imo. (except for Mario Kart DS)

And to me, normal racing games are boring. Forza, GT, Grid all boring imo.

How is Mario Kart inferior to Crash Team Racing in your opinion?

And second of all the reason why reckon Forza, GT, Grid, DiRT are boring in your opinion just because you don't like motorsports.

Simple because I find the core gameplay of CTR to be much better.

And yes to that second statement.

Avatar image for Zuon
#13 Posted by Zuon (347 posts) -

So I am also in the camp that CTR is more skill based than Mario Kart. Notice that I did NOT say that Mario Kart is inferior as one commenter above misinterpreted in someone else's comment. But CTR required practice, skill, and mastery of the mechanics to be effective throughout the game. Mario Kart has too many unfair items and luck scenarios that really throw the balance off. You could be doing well for most of a race, but then in the last 10 seconds, you get blue shelled, and finish the race in 8th place.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#14 Posted by jcrame10 (5147 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: play CTR then play MK64, you’ll understand how CTR is far superior.

Avatar image for davillain-
#15 Posted by DaVillain- (37513 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@mclarenmaster18: play CTR then play MK64, you’ll understand how CTR is far superior.

Even I can say Diddy Kong Racing was superior to MK64 in that regard. Both CTR & Diddy Kong Racing had more content and charm compare to MK64. Both CTR & Diddy Kong Racing were ahead of their time.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (28391 posts) -

I had some fun with it back in the day because I was also enjoying the Crash Bandicoot games during that time. However both it and the Crash games are games that I’m just not interested in playing again these days even with the upgrades. Some games I like to revisit and some have had their time and I have moved on from. These games fall under the latter.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#17 Posted by jcrame10 (5147 posts) -

@davillain-: Mario Kart had sloppy controls and the character models were sprites. CTR graphics were way better, handling better, controls in general better. Powersliding wasn’t even really a thing in MK64. CTR refined powersliding and made it better and later MK games took inspiration from it

Avatar image for Epak_
#18 Posted by Epak_ (10695 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow said:

It's the closest thing gamers without a Nintendo system have to Mario Kart. That's pretty much it.

Not saying it's bad, on the contrary, but it's not exactly Mario Kart either.

So tired of MK8 tracks, need something new, need something new we can play together with my GF.

Avatar image for jeezers
#19 Posted by jeezers (3163 posts) -

MK64 was better, but its a better clone than diddy kong racing

Avatar image for ajstyles
#20 Posted by AJStyles (1023 posts) -

Because Crash is the superior platformer and kart racer.

Nintendo fanboys live in a bubble. Everyone else knows Crash is the best.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#21 Edited by lamprey263 (36178 posts) -

Cashing in on Crash hype while they can, that's what's special about it.

Avatar image for Rockman999
#22 Posted by Rockman999 (7508 posts) -

Because since the original we've had to suffer through two fucking decades of mediocre Mario Karts championed by the rabid Cult of Nintendo.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#23 Posted by robert_sparkes (3230 posts) -

MK 8 was good but was it brilliant I'm not so sure I only had the Wii u version which was fun but not genre defining. There's room for more kart racers crash and the sonic racing will sell pretty well I'd say.

Avatar image for dagubot
#24 Posted by dagubot (1370 posts) -

I voted for Crash Team Racing because of nostalgic reasons. Use to enjoy playing it quite a lot on the Playstation 1 and out of the racers shown in that poll; this one showed me the most interest. I don't plan on picking this up day 1 but later on down the road I might.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#25 Edited by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

Because kart racers are by far my favorite type of racing game and there are not a lot of good ones besides Mario Kart.

Crash Team Racing and Sonic Racing Transformed are the only other two kart racers that can come close to Mario Kart, so that's why I'm looking forward to the Crash Team Racing remake and the Sonic Racing sequel.

And before somebody replys to me saying Diddy Kong Racing. No, the only thing that Diddy Kong Racing had going for it was it's single player story mode, but I don't play kart racers for a story mode, I play it for fun multiplayer. And whenenver my friends and I would try to play Diddy Kong Racing, we would quickly get bored and switch to Mario Kart 64 or Crash Team Racing for a more fun multiplayer experience.

Mario Kart series > Crash Team Racing > Sonic Racing Transformed >>>>> Diddy Kong Racing and all other kart racers

Avatar image for ajstyles
#26 Posted by AJStyles (1023 posts) -

@storm_of_swords: Actually it’s Crash>Diddy Kong>Mario>Sonic.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#27 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

Because Crash is the superior platformer and kart racer.

Nintendo fanboys live in a bubble. Everyone else knows Crash is the best.

It's your opinion.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#28 Posted by I_P_Daily (12314 posts) -

You gotta love when people call kart games racing games when in they are more vehicular combat games. Turn off all weapons and the kart games are boring as fighting games, CTR is no exception to this.

But i'm sure there will be lots of people claiming that its not true lol.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#29 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@mclarenmaster18: play CTR then play MK64, you’ll understand how CTR is far superior.

Well I've played them both and to me it's not much difference but I still prefer Mario Kart a little bit more than Crash Team Racing.

For me I much more prefer Blur (combat street racing) way over any kart racing games including Mario Kart, Modnation Racers, Crash Team Racing, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, etc.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#30 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

You gotta love when people call kart games racing games when in they are more vehicular combat games. Turn off all weapons and the kart games are boring as fighting games, CTR is no exception to this.

But i'm sure there will be lots of people claiming that its not true lol.

There was a kart racing game called Sonic Drift for Sega Game Gear which it has no weapons at all lolz.

Also I'm boycotting Team Sonic Racing because I'm not really into kart racing games in general and I'd rather play the two 2019 racing simulators following are DiRT Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#31 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -
@storm_of_swords said:

Because kart racers are by far my favorite type of racing game and there are not a lot of good ones besides Mario Kart.

Crash Team Racing and Sonic Racing Transformed are the only other two kart racers that can come close to Mario Kart, so that's why I'm looking forward to the Crash Team Racing remake and the Sonic Racing sequel.

And before somebody replys to me saying Diddy Kong Racing. No, the only thing that Diddy Kong Racing had going for it was it's single player story mode, but I don't play kart racers for a story mode, I play it for fun multiplayer. And whenenver my friends and I would try to play Diddy Kong Racing, we would quickly get bored and switch to Mario Kart 64 or Crash Team Racing for a more fun multiplayer experience.

Mario Kart series > Crash Team Racing > Sonic Racing Transformed >>>>> Diddy Kong Racing and all other kart racers

For my favourite type of racing games are racing simulator and arcade street racing.

Okay, have fun with Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled and Team Sonic Racing!

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#32 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -
@Rockman999 said:

Because since the original we've had to suffer through two fucking decades of mediocre Mario Karts championed by the rabid Cult of Nintendo.

For Mario Kart, I don't see anything bad about it even though kart racers aren't my type of racing games. The reason why you say it's mediocre just because you don't like it in your personal opinion.

Oh have you even played Mario Kart? unless you just want to bash it without playing.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#33 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4888 posts) -

I don't know. It was good like, 20 years ago. I doubt it can possibly hold up in the same way today.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#34 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@knight-k: Fine have fun with your karts racing games.

I'd rather have fun with racing simulators and arcade street racing games that features Euro exotic cars, US muscle cars and Japanese tuner cars.

Avatar image for knight-k
#35 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

@knight-k: Fine have fun with your karts racing games.

I'd rather have fun with racing simulators and arcade street racing games that features Euro exotic cars, US muscle cars and Japanese tuner cars.

I like Burnout too though but that's more arcade. And I rather drive the real thing than play a sim that tries to emulate "real" racing.

Avatar image for Rockman999
#36 Edited by Rockman999 (7508 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Dude of course I have. MK isn't exactly an obscure niche franchise. I played from the SNES to the Wii MK, except the DS one, they were largely over hyped for what they really were.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#37 Posted by uninspiredcup (34351 posts) -

Realistic racing games are boring.

Arcade racers are borderline fun.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#38 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Realistic racing games are boring.

Arcade racers are borderline fun.

Sorry I have to disagree with your opinion on realistic/sim racing, well the reason why you say it's boring because you don't like watching motorsports.

For racing simulators: That's my most favourite sub-genre of racing game because I really love watching motorsport live on TV ranging from Touring cars, Sports car racing, Rallying and Formula 1 since my teen-hood, so in sim racing I love to virtually experience on how real motorsport feels like so I find it the most enjoyable in my opinion.

The only type of arcade-style racing game I would love is street racing because since I grew up playing Need For Speed, Burnout and Midnight Club, watching Initial D anime series and Fast & Furious movies during my childhood which got me into street racing.

Currently the street racing game series I would mostly play is Forza Horizon.

For kart racers: I personally don't like kart racers that much because I don't really like it's gameplay style and I'm not into go-karts neither.

Avatar image for davillain-
#39 Edited by DaVillain- (37513 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

You gotta love when people call kart games racing games when in they are more vehicular combat games. Turn off all weapons and the kart games are boring as fighting games, CTR is no exception to this.

But i'm sure there will be lots of people claiming that its not true lol.

Daily, aren't you being a little harsh just because Kart racing isn't you're jam?

I would say Twisted Metal series is a true "vehicular combat game" and the idea of Kart racing is you are actually racing but using weapons gimmick just adds more fun to it.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#40 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@davillain-: I remember how I_P_Daily bashed Mario Kart series as he criticises for being a kart racing game but yet he is looking forward to play Team Sonic Racing (A kart racing game featuring Sega's mascot), sounds like a hypocrite to me.

First I thought he was a Forza and sim racing fanboy just to bash on kart racing (sub-genre of racing game).

Well for me if I'm not really into Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing then there is no point for me to look forward to play any other kart racers.

Avatar image for davillain-
#41 Posted by DaVillain- (37513 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: I respect I_P_Daily's opinion, But saying a Kart racing is vehicular combat isn't how it goes nor was this ever consider. Twisted Metal as an example is a definition of vehicular combat.

To be fair, I never played Sonic Kart games. If I have time, I'll check out Team Sonic Racing.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#42 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@davillain- said:

@mclarenmaster18: I respect I_P_Daily's opinion, But saying a Kart racing is vehicular combat isn't how it goes nor was this ever consider. Twisted Metal as an example is a definition of vehicular combat.

To be fair, I never played Sonic Kart games. If I have time, I'll check out Team Sonic Racing.

Before you look forward to play Team Sonic Racing, it's up to you if you want to play one of previous Sonic kart racing instalment to familiarise with it.

The last Sonic racing game I've played was Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed on Wii U and got bored of it, I'd rather go back playing Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, Forza Motorsport 7, Gran Turismo Sport, DiRT 4 and Forza Horizon 4.

For Twisted Metal series what I've know about it, the plot has to do with death game, involving contestants driving their vehicles equipped with weapons and killing each other in an arena, similar to Death Race movie series.

Also I don't like Twisted Metal neither because it's way too dark IMO.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#43 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't know. It was good like, 20 years ago. I doubt it can possibly hold up in the same way today.

I remember you cow that you've bashed Forza series as you criticised it for being Xbox's IP and complaining the graphics for being cartoony compared to any Playstation IPs in your opinion.

But yet how come you love Crash Team Racing's cartoony graphics so much?

By the way I'd rather play Forza Motorsport 7 (XB1), Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) and Forza Horizon 4 (XB1) over Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#44 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4888 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't know. It was good like, 20 years ago. I doubt it can possibly hold up in the same way today.

I remember you cow that you've bashed Forza series as you criticised it for being Xbox's IP and complaining the graphics for being cartoony compared to any Playstation IPs in your opinion.

But yet how come you love Crash Team Racing's cartoony graphics so much?

By the way I'd rather play Forza Motorsport 7 (XB1), Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) and Forza Horizon 4 (XB1) over Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.

When did I say that? You've mistaken me for someone else. I'm NOT looking forward to Crash Team Racing, actually.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#45 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1628 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't know. It was good like, 20 years ago. I doubt it can possibly hold up in the same way today.

I remember you cow that you've bashed Forza series as you criticised it for being Xbox's IP and complaining the graphics for being cartoony compared to any Playstation IPs in your opinion.

But yet how come you love Crash Team Racing's cartoony graphics so much?

By the way I'd rather play Forza Motorsport 7 (XB1), Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) and Forza Horizon 4 (XB1) over Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.

When did I say that? You've mistaken me for someone else. I'm NOT looking forward to Crash Team Racing, actually.

From your first post in my thread, sounds like you came here to defend it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#46 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4888 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

When did I say that? You've mistaken me for someone else. I'm NOT looking forward to Crash Team Racing, actually.

From your first post in my thread, sounds like you came here to defend it.

How does saying a game that came out 20 years ago likely won't hold up today sound like it's defending it? That's the total opposite. Is everybody's brain broken in this forum lately?

Avatar image for Alucard_Prime
#47 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

I'm not really a fan of Crash Bandicoot but I am a fan of Kart racers, I loved games like Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart, and there aren't really any good ones now on XOne, so I think CTM is a good addition to the library and it's cool that it will have online. I seem to remember it was pretty good although I don't believe I played it before. Not sure I will get it at launch because my plate is full but I would like to give it a go at some point.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#48 Posted by I_P_Daily (12314 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

@davillain-: I remember how I_P_Daily bashed Mario Kart series as he criticises for being a kart racing game but yet he is looking forward to play Team Sonic Racing (A kart racing game featuring Sega's mascot), sounds like a hypocrite to me.

First I thought he was a Forza and sim racing fanboy just to bash on kart racing (sub-genre of racing game).

Well for me if I'm not really into Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing then there is no point for me to look forward to play any other kart racers.

Hypocrite lol, go find where I said I don't play kart games, then you would be onto something, my comment was to show that playing Mario Kart without weapons is not playing it properly, that's not bashing it, that's just stating a fact.

The fact is I play all sorts of racing games from trucks, bikes, cars, karts, boats, jet ski etc means i'm a racing fan.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#49 Edited by I_P_Daily (12314 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

You gotta love when people call kart games racing games when in they are more vehicular combat games. Turn off all weapons and the kart games are boring as fighting games, CTR is no exception to this.

But i'm sure there will be lots of people claiming that its not true lol.

Daily, aren't you being a little harsh just because Kart racing isn't you're jam?

I would say Twisted Metal series is a true "vehicular combat game" and the idea of Kart racing is you are actually racing but using weapons gimmick just adds more fun to it.

I've played more kart games then you have played racing games lol. The point is that if you add weapons to the game it is a vehicular combat game, sure it is in the racing genre also, but its not a traditional "racing" game.

Oh and the weapons are not a gimmick that make it more fun they are the main ingredient of the fun & frustration.

Be honest dav you have never played MK with the weapons being disabled.

Avatar image for davillain-
#50 Posted by DaVillain- (37513 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Be honest dav you have never played MK with the weapons being disabled.

The thought of never came to my mind all these years of playing Mario Kart series lol.