What's so hard about maintaining a PC? What driver incompatibilities?

• 78 results
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@kod said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/use-at-your-own-risk-widespread-bricks-nvidia-geforce-drivers-v364-72-findings-fixes.789930/

WARNING: AVOID 364.72 (march 28) LIKE THE PLAGUE - it's bricking cards left and right - and rollbacks are not working.

all systems have occasional glitches that affect some users

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-users-beware-latest-drivers-damage-pc/

[UPDATE1 03/09/2016 08:16 AM]Users are reporting that NVIDIA has officially rolled back to 362.00 as the default last stable driver version. GeForce experience now lists this driver as the last stable release and the subsequent 364.51 update as BETA. It’s highly recommended that if you have run into any of the issues being reported that you uninstall your Nvidia GeForce drivers in Windows safe mode and roll back to the 362.00 release.

[Nvidia’s Sean Pelletier has reached out to clarify. The 362.00 driver is still the latest WHQL certified and will remain so while the latest 364.51 driver is pending certification. The 364.51 is a Beta driver and has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL certification. It’s expected to be back and posted by tomorrow.

UPDATE2 03/09/2016 04:50 PM]

Under GeForce Experience, users have the option to show “ALL” drivers which will include the latest 364.51 Beta. Those who are not seeing the 364.51 driver version as an option do not have “show Beta” selected as an option.

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Issues and Updates

7:30AM 3/8/16

After finding a critical installation issue, the team has replaced yesterday’s driver (364.47) with today’s new driver (364.51). This driver has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL-approval and we will update the driver package online as soon as we have the certified package.

4:00PM PST

We have reproduced the issue and our engineers continue to debug it. Initial investigation suggests the issue is related to doing an “Express” installation. We suggest those willing to try this driver use a Custom -> Clean Install installation.

9:30AM PST

We have received reports of some users having issues installing today’s Game Ready Driver. Initial investigation suggests the issue is isolated to multiple-monitor configurations.

Should you experience issues, you can either disconnect one monitor during the driver installation (and reconnect once completed) or you can uninstall the driver through Windows Safe-Mode and revert to a previous version. Our driver team is actively investigating the issue and we will have more information shortly.

Driver retraction involves more than some users.

Ive never understood people taking issue with this given how few and far between it actually is, plus how quickly these things are solved..... ESPECIALLY after we just witnessed MS releasing 360s for half a decade, that had a 100% chance of red ringing, with like 50% of them occurring between 1 day old and a year. While also ignoring how bad the situation with consoles as software currently is.

At this point you'd think people would be attune to technology and would have dropped these mostly 20 year old console vs pc narratives.

The difference is

1. Xbox 360 has a hardware problem which is similar to NVIDIA's mobile G8X bumpgate problems. How about $2000 gaming laptop failing instead of cheap Xbox 360 $399 priced hardware?

NVIDIA and their partners was forced to fix this problem via a class action court battle. NVIDIA's mobile G8X bumpgate caused me to jump ship towards AMD GPUs.

Xbox 360 is long dead.

2. NVIDIA has software problem and it occurred recently as Windows 10 upgrade year.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@kod said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:

all systems have occasional glitches that affect some users

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-users-beware-latest-drivers-damage-pc/

[UPDATE1 03/09/2016 08:16 AM]Users are reporting that NVIDIA has officially rolled back to 362.00 as the default last stable driver version. GeForce experience now lists this driver as the last stable release and the subsequent 364.51 update as BETA. It’s highly recommended that if you have run into any of the issues being reported that you uninstall your Nvidia GeForce drivers in Windows safe mode and roll back to the 362.00 release.

[Nvidia’s Sean Pelletier has reached out to clarify. The 362.00 driver is still the latest WHQL certified and will remain so while the latest 364.51 driver is pending certification. The 364.51 is a Beta driver and has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL certification. It’s expected to be back and posted by tomorrow.

UPDATE2 03/09/2016 04:50 PM]

Under GeForce Experience, users have the option to show “ALL” drivers which will include the latest 364.51 Beta. Those who are not seeing the 364.51 driver version as an option do not have “show Beta” selected as an option.

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Issues and Updates

7:30AM 3/8/16

After finding a critical installation issue, the team has replaced yesterday’s driver (364.47) with today’s new driver (364.51). This driver has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL-approval and we will update the driver package online as soon as we have the certified package.

4:00PM PST

We have reproduced the issue and our engineers continue to debug it. Initial investigation suggests the issue is related to doing an “Express” installation. We suggest those willing to try this driver use a Custom -> Clean Install installation.

9:30AM PST

We have received reports of some users having issues installing today’s Game Ready Driver. Initial investigation suggests the issue is isolated to multiple-monitor configurations.

Should you experience issues, you can either disconnect one monitor during the driver installation (and reconnect once completed) or you can uninstall the driver through Windows Safe-Mode and revert to a previous version. Our driver team is actively investigating the issue and we will have more information shortly.

Driver retraction involves more than some users.

Ive never understood people taking issue with this given how few and far between it actually is, plus how quickly these things are solved..... ESPECIALLY after we just witnessed MS releasing 360s for half a decade, that had a 100% chance of red ringing, with like 50% of them occurring between 1 day old and a year. While also ignoring how bad the situation with consoles as software currently is.

At this point you'd think people would be attune to technology and would have dropped these mostly 20 year old console vs pc narratives.

The difference is

1. Xbox 360 has a hardware problem which is similar to NVIDIA's mobile G8X bumpgate problems. How about $2000 gaming laptop failing instead of cheap Xbox 360 $399 priced hardware?

NVIDIA and their partners was forced to fix this problem via a class action court battle. NVIDIA's mobile G8X bumpgate caused me to jumpship towards AMD GPUs.

I was owner for FX 5950.

I was owner for mobile G8X bumpgate.

2. NVIDIA has software problem.

You have no idea what I meant by "incompatibility".

If people mean driver problems and conflicts then thats what they should be saying instead.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#54 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Its the same strawman arguments that console only gamers have fallen back on for years. My favourite is "PC only has RTS, MMO's and MOBA's".

My personal favorites were:

- You can only play PC games on a desk while on consoles you can play on the couch

- PC screens are small but on consoles you can play on 60inch flat screens

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

These days, it maintains itself.

I barely have to do anything.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#57 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@Dark_sageX said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Its the same strawman arguments that console only gamers have fallen back on for years. My favourite is "PC only has RTS, MMO's and MOBA's".

- You can only play PC games on a desk while on consoles you can play on the couch

TVs also have much higher input lag.

Monitors are have very little input lag, and they have better resolutions and panels that accept higher than 60hz.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@brandshatch said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I have to wonder how long anyone's been playing PC gaming when that question is asked, no offense TC. While PC gaming has been improving in terms of convenience, if you play on them long enough you'll encounter issues. Just the nature of the beast. It's nothing to what it was years ago and I'd agree that problems are fairly rare, but they do happen, especially when older software is played on newer hardware/OSes. WHEN they happen, they can be nightmarish.

The fact of the matter is unless you know what you're doing you're going to have severe problems. A noobie trying to diagnose issues would be about as effective as nuking the sun. PC gamers like to lead on that things are more simple than they actually are, when things are working it's great, when they're not even with heavy experience your system can be messed up for days before you conclusively figure out exactly what is going on.

Frankly, I'd be left at a complete loss without the Internet. I'd say over 90% of my problems I've had have been fixable after a little research online, and if I can't get a solution, at least I can get an explanation. The net is an invaluable resource for PC gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#60  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Well, most recently I tried to play Shadow Warrior on my laptop and for some reason the game didnt started. I've my drivers up to date and still the game doesnt boot... uninstalled it and installed Sleeping Dogs instead

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

The difference is

Yaaaahhhhh, i don't think those are very comparable. But even so, i think you're missing the point about technology in general.

@ronvalencia said:

2. NVIDIA has software problem and it occurred recently as Windows 10 upgrade year.

Yah, lets go back to that first comment.

@ronvalencia said:

Xbox 360 is long dead.

So are your arguments.

Like... you seem to think we live in this world where consoles are not simply small form PCs that don't have the same problems...... Yah, obviously when you take one device and compare it to 5,000 devices, the 5,000 devices are going to have a wider range of issues, that is the nature of technology, suck it up or so live in the woods.

Reminder, consoles are no longer competing with one another, they are no longer trying to create something new and outdo sony or ms or nintendo.... they are trying to keep up with PCs now and they are doing so by using the same exact parts. Guess what that leads to? Ohhhh surprise... the same problems!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

So are your arguments.

Like... you seem to think we live in this world where consoles are not simply small form PCs that don't have the same problems...... Yah, obviously when you take one device and compare it to 5,000 devices, the 5,000 devices are going to have a wider range of issues, that is the nature of technology, suck it up or so live in the woods.

Reminder, consoles are no longer competing with one another, they are no longer trying to create something new and outdo sony or ms or nintendo.... they are trying to keep up with PCs now and they are doing so by using the same exact parts. Guess what that leads to? Ohhhh surprise... the same problems!

Just Sony & MS alone are trying to chase PC dream, NOT Nintendo themselves. Nintendo Switch is doing it's own thing by innovating and it's a true next-gen console that's NOT trying to be PC wannabe. There's a reason why I always be praising Switch and why I'm enjoying it as well and this is coming from a PC gamer.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Jebus213: it's bullshit. Now, back in the MS-DOS through Windows 98 era it was pretty bad. You had to have some competence with those issues. Got much better with XP, and since Windows 7 I haven't had a single problem (except with Windows store, and with mods, but the latter is an "at your own risk" thing of course)

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The only times a PC has crashed on me in the last 5 years is when I am overclocking.

My PS4 has crashed more than my current PC and my 360... Well that POS RROD twice on me and crashed more times than a blind kid on a bumper kart ride.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#65 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Yep, only drivers for me were a couple from Aorus, Win 10 did the rest.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

PC has come a long way and made plenty of advancements in making it easier and better to play games.

But PC will never shake the "it's the land of no life neckbeards"

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@davillain- said:

So are your arguments.

Just Sony & MS alone are trying to chase PC dream, NOT Nintendo themselves. Nintendo Switch is doing it's own thing by innovating and it's a true next-gen console that's NOT trying to be PC wannabe. There's a reason why I always be praising Switch and why I'm enjoying it as well and this is coming from a PC gamer.

Right, i should have actually been a bit more clear on this. Sony and MS seem to be chasing PC (something they will never catch) and nintendo seems to be chasing tablets and phones. Nintendo is a lot like Apple where they never really innovate, simply take others ideas and nearly perfect them.

My point was that we are no longer seeing consoles trying to build new and better systems to compete with one another. They are all just mimicking other devices and trying to enter realms they probably shouldnt, which is also why its a losing scenario for these companies unless they adapt.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Nothing, simply some people don't wanna learn :)

Gaming is not worth the trouble, and i perfectly understand that.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I havent had an issue for that for quite a while.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Windows updates can cause issues. One of the things that's in updates are patches where they basically use you as a ginny pig, it's kind of a like a beta update where they test some changes. Unless you disable all the telemetry, they monitor your actions, they know what you click on and what you don't..etc

The major updates are the ones I've had the most issues with. The minimal it does is reinstall all the default apps and files that I manually delete using 3rd party tools and I'm stuck having to manually redo all my preference tweaks again. The worst has caused problems with VR, performance and other annoying things that I just ended up reinstalling. It's annoying when they make little changes in system files or apps only to find it's not working and take it away as it'll be something that works fine one day then is all weird the next because they slapped me with their beta bs without me realizing. Enterprise users don't get these kinds of updates until it's deemed not faulty but home users do...that's bs imo.

As long as you play ball MS's way or you use LTSB, your fine. If you use NTlite..things like that, is where they seem to think they know what I want. So I use another app that shuts off updates and never an issue. I initially had LTSB but GTA 5 wouldn't run without a codec error no matter what I tried so I ended up going back to Home.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I actually can't remember the last time I had any kind of problem with any PC game. Driver issues are a distant memory from the long forgotten past.

Consoles are great for exclusives well PS4 is, PC's are great for exclusives and best for multiplats them is the facts folks no opinions involved.

Of course you could get a really shit PC with no exclusives (Xbox One X) but yeah... I really wouldn't do that. No.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

1. They are lying.

2. They are dumb.

3. They are trolling.

One of the above.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#73  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@brandshatch said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@Dark_sageX said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Monitors are have very little input lag, and they have better resolutions and panels that accept higher than 60hz.

Exactly why I said what I did a few posts up. I can't take some PC gamer seriously who bleats on about thousands of dollars in hardware, high framerates, performance in general and then subjects themselves to abysmal response times, input lag and a 60hz refresh rate. It's illogical and contradicts the entire point of the platform and gaming on it.

Consoles are a television suited application, PC's on a television are a joke.

It's a shame you have such a narrow view of the PC platform. You misunderstand the true strength of the PC platform... its versatility. I have my PC hooked up to a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor and I also have it hooked up to a 4K OLED HDR TV. I can assure you that the experience is amazing on both. I will swap out between using the monitor and TV depending on the usage scenario. Same goes for M+KB and controller.

BTW, you should probably upgrade your 290X CF setup there Nya. It must struggle these days. Especially when games are lacking CF support.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#74  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@brandshatch said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@Dark_sageX said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Exactly why I said what I did a few posts up. I can't take some PC gamer seriously who bleats on about thousands of dollars in hardware, high framerates, performance in general and then subjects themselves to abysmal response times, input lag and a 60hz refresh rate. It's illogical and contradicts the entire point of the platform and gaming on it.

Consoles are a television suited application, PC's on a television are a joke.

OK so many things wrong here

- 4K is currently the highest resolution available on the mainstream market, and there are 4K TVs, so resolution is not a problem.

- There are lots of TVs with over 60Hz refresh rate, 4K TVs generally have 400Hz, so yea you can also get smooth frame rate using a TV as well.

- Yes most TVs have higher input lag than monitors, input lags however can be as "bad" as 6ms, which is nothing if you are playing single player, not every PC gamer plays like an ULTRA competitive nerd that requires every tiny bit of micro seconds in their button input. You can play casualy as well and a TV does the job just fine, Some people just like to enjoy their games on a larger screen than 27inch.

- Point? there is no such thing as a "point" of PC gaming, you can build a gaming PC to do whatever the hell you want with it, I can build a weak PC, I can build a powerful PC, and play Minecraft with it, why? because I say so. and I can build a PC and use it on a TV, again, because I want to. Consoles can ONLY be used on a TV (with specific input sockets mind you), PCs can be used on ALL forms of monitors.

You fail to understand that the true power of the PC is that it can be versatile, you can do many MANY things with a PC that you couldn't with a console.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

I actually can't remember the last time I had any kind of problem with any PC game. Driver issues are a distant memory from the long forgotten past.

Consoles are great for exclusives well PS4 is, PC's are great for exclusives and best for multiplats them is the facts folks no opinions involved.

Of course you could get a really shit PC with no exclusives (Xbox One X) but yeah... I really wouldn't do that. No.

That's a flat out lie or perhaps you have a short memory. Drivers issues are far from a thing of the past.

You also apparently haven't messed with VR. Vive alone has had lots of driver and firmware issues. Even to the point where the firmware update for the base station was bricking them, making them useless, it took over a month for HTC/Valve to remove the firmware update. Oculus had a good run of driver issues involving their controllers and tracking.

There are also tons of bugs for the Nvidia and ATI video cards...all you have to do is look up the known bug issues for each released driver, duh. Some people don't even realize there's a driver issue and instead blame the game itself. As far as PC game issues...where have you been? Arkam Knight? AC: Unity? Have you not seen the countless game patches for just about every single PC game released?

Don't get me started on the audio driver bugs. The fact is, though many bugs are either easy to ignore or don't effect every person depending on their setup, for those that they do effect can be game breaking.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

A PC can be troublesome if you are not tech savvy or willing to learn

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

PC is extremely easy to maintain, keep it clean and don't download crap or adware into it.

That's why I crack up when I see cows hiding behind PCs and bragging about their specs compared to the X1X, they act like owning a gaming PC is sacred and only the super elite can do it.

building PCs is easy.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Dont forget you have to manually put the IRQ and DMA values in order to have sound on pc DOS games. That is really hardcore stuff. You also need to buy pc magazines that have disks with utilities and drivers if you dont have the internets

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Look at the release notes for any driver release from either nvidia or amd. They're loaded with bugs. LOL @ insecure hermits pretending that pc gaming is not an annoying hassle.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I Polish My PC.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@tjandmia said:

Look at the release notes for any driver release from either nvidia or amd. They're loaded with bugs. LOL @ insecure hermits pretending that pc gaming is not an annoying hassle.

At least Nvidia and AMD include a "Known Issues" list in their release notes. Consoles gamers have to find out for themselves.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/22/15022232/ps4-wi-fi-broken-firmware-4-50

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

@Jebus213 said:
@tjandmia said:

At least Nvidia and AMD include a "Known Issues" list in their release notes. Consoles gamers have to find out for themselves.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/22/15022232/ps4-wi-fi-broken-firmware-4-50

And consoles have become annoying hassles as well, but somewhat less so