What's so hard about maintaining a PC? What driver incompatibilities?

• 79 results
#1 Edited by Jebus213 (10020 posts) -

I keep hearing these two arguments coming from people who choose console gaming over PC.

Since I've built my system I haven't done anything with it except use it. What's there to maintain?

Also, what driver incompatibilities? I've never heard of this before. Then again, I keep my drivers up to date but the previous driver isn't gonna keep me from playing the newest games.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (97376 posts) -

I just bought a new laptop.

I opened it up, pushed the power button on, logged into my Windows account, downloaded the Blizzard client and started playing StarCraft II within 30 minutes of opening the box (5G wifi is beast).

Long gone are the days of spending hours and hours trying to solve a problem or install this/that. Well, unless of course you start modding Skyrim.

#3 Posted by AnthonyAutumns (1583 posts) -

Windows 10 already automatically downloads drivers for you. Disc readers and installation discs are a thing of the past.

#4 Posted by NoodleFighter (9727 posts) -

You really only need to update your drivers for new/major games, I go months without updating my drivers until I get a recent release game.

#5 Posted by Zero_epyon (12736 posts) -

Age old arguments that became irrelevant years ago. Console only gamers that use these argument are ignorant to the progress pc gaming has made over the years. I feel the same way. I've been gaming on pc since the 90's. It's like night and day compared to those days.

#6 Edited by svaubel (4008 posts) -

Because people still think PCs are as a pain in the ass to set up as they were back in the Win 95/98 or earlier days.

These days you just turn it on, maybe activate Windows, and youre done. Setup is so quick now. It used to be an almost all day process.

The only driver I ever update is the Nvidia driver. And the software does it all for me. Most things are plug and play and/or just work with little configuration these days.

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (38078 posts) -

But all the viruses and the hackers online!!11

#8 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:

I keep hearing these two arguments coming from people who choose console gaming over PC.

Since I've built my system I haven't done anything with it except use it. What's there to maintain?

Also, what driver incompatibilities? I've never heard of this before. Then again, I keep my drivers up to date but the previous driver isn't gonna keep me from playing the newest games.

I Agree.

I rarely had any problem with PC gaming and im gaming on PCs since late 90s.

I never got this " PCs having problems and you want to upgrade every 2 years blabla " at least from when i started gaming up till now which is more or less close to 20 years.

I open PC , double click something and im ready to go.

#9 Posted by appariti0n (2665 posts) -

I dunno, my desktop has become self aware and developed a personality of her own.

I attempted to remove 6 GB to use elsewhere, and she refused to post until I put the missing 3x2 GB sticks back in. wtf lol.

#10 Edited by ronvalencia (26167 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

#11 Edited by Jebus213 (10020 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

A Windows 10 launch problem that happened 2 years ago?

#12 Posted by DrLostRib (4209 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

A Windows 10 launch problem that happened 2 years ago?

it's ron, what did you expect

#13 Posted by dxmcat (2371 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:

Operator error tbh.

#14 Edited by ronvalencia (26167 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/use-at-your-own-risk-widespread-bricks-nvidia-geforce-drivers-v364-72-findings-fixes.789930/

WARNING: AVOID 364.72 (march 28 2016) LIKE THE PLAGUE - it's bricking cards left and right - and rollbacks are not working.

#15 Posted by DrLostRib (4209 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/use-at-your-own-risk-widespread-bricks-nvidia-geforce-drivers-v364-72-findings-fixes.789930/

WARNING: AVOID 364.72 (march 28) LIKE THE PLAGUE - it's bricking cards left and right - and rollbacks are not working.

all systems have occasional glitches that affect some users

#16 Posted by Jebus213 (10020 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

WARNING: AVOID 364.72 (march 28 2016) LIKE THE PLAGUE - it's bricking cards left and right - and rollbacks are not working.

Those aren't driver incompatibilities.

#17 Posted by Celsius765 (2311 posts) -

I think its a matter of knowing what not to install. Like this mmo maplestory that i ised to play would take awhile to start up and after I finish my laptop would run slow. My guess is its a poorly optimized game.

#18 Posted by ronvalencia (26167 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

WARNING: AVOID 364.72 (march 28) LIKE THE PLAGUE - it's bricking cards left and right - and rollbacks are not working.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-users-beware-latest-drivers-damage-pc/

[UPDATE1 03/09/2016 08:16 AM]Users are reporting that NVIDIA has officially rolled back to 362.00 as the default last stable driver version. GeForce experience now lists this driver as the last stable release and the subsequent 364.51 update as BETA. It’s highly recommended that if you have run into any of the issues being reported that you uninstall your Nvidia GeForce drivers in Windows safe mode and roll back to the 362.00 release.

[Nvidia’s Sean Pelletier has reached out to clarify. The 362.00 driver is still the latest WHQL certified and will remain so while the latest 364.51 driver is pending certification. The 364.51 is a Beta driver and has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL certification. It’s expected to be back and posted by tomorrow.

UPDATE2 03/09/2016 04:50 PM]

Under GeForce Experience, users have the option to show “ALL” drivers which will include the latest 364.51 Beta. Those who are not seeing the 364.51 driver version as an option do not have “show Beta” selected as an option.

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Issues and Updates

7:30AM 3/8/16

After finding a critical installation issue, the team has replaced yesterday’s driver (364.47) with today’s new driver (364.51). This driver has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL-approval and we will update the driver package online as soon as we have the certified package.

4:00PM PST

We have reproduced the issue and our engineers continue to debug it. Initial investigation suggests the issue is related to doing an “Express” installation. We suggest those willing to try this driver use a Custom -> Clean Install installation.

9:30AM PST

We have received reports of some users having issues installing today’s Game Ready Driver. Initial investigation suggests the issue is isolated to multiple-monitor configurations.

Should you experience issues, you can either disconnect one monitor during the driver installation (and reconnect once completed) or you can uninstall the driver through Windows Safe-Mode and revert to a previous version. Our driver team is actively investigating the issue and we will have more information shortly.

Driver retraction involves more than some users.

#19 Posted by DrLostRib (4209 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

No it still means some users

but all that crap is missing the point anyways

#20 Posted by henrythefifth (1731 posts) -

It harks back to the old days.

Back in the 00's when I was PC gamer too, you really needed in depth knowledge about BIOS, drivers and whatnots to keep your PC running new games. -Well, running them well, anyways. I dont think it is needed so much today, with modern computer rigs running everything on automatic.

#21 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8186 posts) -

Not always perfect. Was trying to play War For Cybertron (not a great game), on Steam with a 360 pad, and found it was time to educate myself about Steams cluster **** Steam controller/big screen options. Half the buttons weren't working. But was all sorted in the end.

#22 Edited by Litchie (22290 posts) -

PC gaming has evolved immensely, to a point where you don't have more problems with a PC than your console. Sometimes consoles can be even worse. While PC gaming has evolved, lots of console gamers brains haven't, and they still go on about how PC gaming is suuuuch a haaaassle, while PC gamers play games without any hassle at all.

"But you have to pay 1000 bucks for a decent PC to play games" - No you don't, you fucking moron.
"But you have to upgrade your hardware every two years" - No you don't, you fucking moron.
"But you have to install lots of different drivers and troublehsoot why the PC/games don't work all the time" - No you don't, you fucking moron. Everything is done automatically these days, just like consoles.
"But you have to fiddle with the options in games" - No you don't, you fucking moron. You can, though, which is an awesome thing that consoles lack.
"But you have to deal with hackers and cheaters" - Maybe sometimes, but as you would know if you aren't a fucking moron is that hackers and cheaters are on consoles too. I haven't come across a hacker/cheater in years, personally. Not sure what weird PC games without any hack/cheat block you guys are playing..

These arguments are just really, really stupid and outdated, and are only used by console gamers to feel better about their console purchases.

#23 Edited by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

It depends I think on your hardware and software.

For example, my old mini-tower had dreadful airflow and needed to be constantly cleaned of building dust which affected performance and made the components constantly overheat.

However, paying money for a decent tower and perhaps some additional fans will cut down on this maintenance significantly. Since building my new machine, I haven't once had to clean it, and when I do, my case has magnetic dust filters which will make the process easier.

Regarding software; this entirely depends. I had absolutely no trouble playing games like Prey, Street Fighter V and The Sims 4 but Nier Automata? The resolution is awful, there's bad texture pop-in and while most suitable for a controller, the developer decided that no; it wasn't going to work neatly with Steam settings and so the shoot button doesn't quite work right and the mouse stays printed on the screen - you have to manually move it aside as the game begins. When a port goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

So really I think it's just these tiny fears that turn console gamers away. It's not always an accessible experience. Sometimes you will face problems when a lousy port comes in or if you're using a lower end machine that has some questionable design choices. For a game like Nier, a mod is almost required to get a good experience from it and even then people have suffered worse than I.

Elements like drivers and options? Not an issue for me. Windows 10 handles the drivers and my PC can take max settings without me needing to fiddle about. Low end and mid-range gamers beware though. You might have to fiddle about to get an optimum setting you are personally comfortable with.

A console requires very little messing around. You buy it, plug it in and you can play a game by putting the disk in.

However the benefits of PC kick the living butt out of the minute problems some MIGHT experience. All the same, it's much easier for a high end PC gamer to not see the problems a low-range or mid-range PC gamer has to deal with.

#24 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8186 posts) -

@Litchie said:

PC gaming has evolved immensely, to a point where you don't have more problems with a PC than your console. Sometimes consoles can be even worse. While PC gaming has evolved, lots of console gamers brains haven't, and they still go on about how PC gaming is suuuuch a haaaassle, while PC gamers play games without any hassle at all.

"But you have to pay 1000 bucks for a decent PC to play games" - No you don't, you fucking moron.

"But you have to upgrade your hardware every two years" - No you don't, you fucking moron.

"But you have to install lots of different drivers and troublehsoot why games don't work all the time" - No you don't, you fucking moron. Everything is done automatically these days, just like consoles.

"But you have to fiddle with the options in games" - No you don't, you fucking moron. You can, though, which is an awesome thing that consoles lack.

"But you have to deal with hackers and cheaters" - Maybe sometimes, but as you would know if you aren't a fucking moron is that hackers and cheaters are on consoles too. I haven't come across a hacker/cheater in years, personally. Not sure what weird PC games without any hack/cheat block you guys are playing..

These arguments are just really, really stupid and outdated, and are only used by console gamers to feel better about their console purchases.

Console manufacturers can be worse. They rush products to market at TOP fucking price, in a bare bones condition. Xbone cost £429 and in terms of consoles software, was the most bare bones thing, I'd EVER seen. It was half finished. DX12, wasn't ready, most of the features software was in a beta condition. By the time it was ready, Kinect had been dumped. On top of that, even games come out before their ready, FIFA 14 kept crashing, everyone remembers the MCC and many others, so many games requiring so many big updates. Consoles have regressed imo.

Console gamers are so conditioned to take this crap, they'll blame the outraged consumer for not knowing or expecting to be shit on before hand, or so a lem had told me. So if MS change their vision later (drop Kinect leaving you with a weak multiplat netflix box), that's on you apparently. On top of that, all these expensive games have expensive season passes.

This generation, Xbox has been so bad, it made me a permanent PC gamer. After all the consoles bs this gen, I don't want to hear shit about the PC. If you want to game how you want (settings) and on the cheap (software), the PC is the way to go imo.

#25 Edited by QuadKnight (12918 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

Age old arguments that became irrelevant years ago. Console only gamers that use these argument are ignorant to the progress pc gaming has made over the years. I feel the same way. I've been gaming on pc since the 90's. It's like night and day compared to those days.

True. I always laugh when people mention shit like that. You can tell they haven't gamed on PC since the 90s or early 2000s.

the only time I run into problems on my PC is when I'm running mods or glitchy alphas (looking at you Star Citizen). Other than that my PC runs extremely smoothly. I don't even mess around with settings Nvidia Game ready pretty much sets up my games with the optimal settings.

#26 Edited by KOD (2754 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Jebus213 said:

[UPDATE1 03/09/2016 08:16 AM]Users are reporting that NVIDIA has officially rolled back to 362.00 as the default last stable driver version. GeForce experience now lists this driver as the last stable release and the subsequent 364.51 update as BETA. It’s highly recommended that if you have run into any of the issues being reported that you uninstall your Nvidia GeForce drivers in Windows safe mode and roll back to the 362.00 release.

[Nvidia’s Sean Pelletier has reached out to clarify. The 362.00 driver is still the latest WHQL certified and will remain so while the latest 364.51 driver is pending certification. The 364.51 is a Beta driver and has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL certification. It’s expected to be back and posted by tomorrow.

UPDATE2 03/09/2016 04:50 PM]

Under GeForce Experience, users have the option to show “ALL” drivers which will include the latest 364.51 Beta. Those who are not seeing the 364.51 driver version as an option do not have “show Beta” selected as an option.

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Issues and Updates

7:30AM 3/8/16

After finding a critical installation issue, the team has replaced yesterday’s driver (364.47) with today’s new driver (364.51). This driver has been submitted to Microsoft for WHQL-approval and we will update the driver package online as soon as we have the certified package.

4:00PM PST

We have reproduced the issue and our engineers continue to debug it. Initial investigation suggests the issue is related to doing an “Express” installation. We suggest those willing to try this driver use a Custom -> Clean Install installation.

9:30AM PST

We have received reports of some users having issues installing today’s Game Ready Driver. Initial investigation suggests the issue is isolated to multiple-monitor configurations.

Should you experience issues, you can either disconnect one monitor during the driver installation (and reconnect once completed) or you can uninstall the driver through Windows Safe-Mode and revert to a previous version. Our driver team is actively investigating the issue and we will have more information shortly.

Ive never understood people taking issue with this given how few and far between it actually is, plus how quickly these things are solved..... ESPECIALLY after we just witnessed MS releasing 360s for half a decade, that had a 100% chance of red ringing, with like 50% of them occurring between 1 day old and a year. While also ignoring how bad the situation with consoles as software currently is.

At this point you'd think people would be attune to technology and would have dropped these mostly 20 year old console vs pc narratives.

#27 Edited by DaVillain- (31857 posts) -

I think the issues with console gamers who thinks building a PC is hard may have never really played a PC game or just stuck in the 90's to 00's may think it's still hard today but it's NOT!

I think there are two elements to this question, with two different answers:

On the build side of things, I don't think there's much that can be done. If you can put Lagos together and follow simple instructions, you can build a PC. I built my first PC back in 2007 just to play Crysis, without consulting a guide, it took me about 1 hour, and a lot of consulting the case and motherboard manuals, and the wiring was a rat's nest, but it worked and I was proud of my build.

On the hardware side of things, it is definitely too difficult for someone not immersed in the tech world we live in now.

How big of a power supply should I get? What are the reputable brands? What the heck does SFX and Modular mean? How much RAM do I need? Does the speed matter? AMD vs Intel? Do I need to overclock? What mobo features do I need? Where can I cut costs/corners and where can't I?

All of these are very important questions for a first time builder. Some can be easily answered by a Google search but the best way to do it now is through YouTube, but many of them can only be answered by "it depends", which depends on questions that are then answered by "it depends". And that's not even getting into some of the asinine naming schemes out there; I never did figure out AMD's old GPU naming scheme.

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot that can be done to solve this problem. Computers are complicated, and the components reflects that. Sure, we could agree to only have five options total for each component, but that would require ignoring an insane number of use cases. Good naming schemes.

Perhaps the real question is not if it's difficult but do most people feel like building one? If the answer is no, that's fine, but if you say it's too hard to build, then your just being a lazy fool who didn't even bother to try at all and when I say this, you know who you are! So don't bother quoting me because I say your a lazy fool!

#28 Posted by lrdfancypants (3850 posts) -

This can only be solved with a Thunderdome match between TC and the Mighty X1X.

2 man enter, 1 man leave.

#29 Posted by Wasdie (53572 posts) -

People who say it's hard to maintain a PC have never maintained a PC.

#30 Posted by GarGx1 (10260 posts) -

Nonsense, everyone knows you need to create an autoexec.bat to get a game to run in DOS.....oh wait, it's not 1994 anymore, my bad :)

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#31 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30842 posts) -

Its the same strawman arguments that console only gamers have fallen back on for years. My favourite is "PC only has RTS, MMO's and MOBA's".

#32 Edited by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

The issue comes down to the person not just wanting to have their preference, but feeling the need to legitimize their preference. As if there's any reason for that, just enjoy the platform(s) you enjoy and move on.

Or if you do want to expand on why you prefer consoles, just keep it simple, keep it to things you actually understand or have experience with.

You like x, y and z exclusive on your console of choice? Great. You enjoy multiplayer games with your buddies and they're all on the same console? Excellent. You appreciate the lower cost of entry and relative simplicity of getting up and going with a new machine? Cool. All of those are legit reasons to stick with your console(s) of choice.

But of course - fanboys. Can't just stop there. They have to confess their ignorance to the world and rattle off a bunch of fantasy bullshit about the woes of PC gaming in an attempt to prop up their preference. Often times it's 99% nonsense, making it crystal clear that they have no experience with the platform, how it works, or what it has to offer. As if people would even game on PCs if it were anything like they describe.

And then of course there's the bunch walking around with a Napoleon complex. They do recognize all of the superior aspects of PC gaming, but choose to lash out against it instead of embracing it, or simply ignoring it and moving on. I made a satirical troll post about that a few weeks back, and one of our local Napoleons had a bitch fit about it. Didn't like looking in the mirror I guess lol.

#33 Posted by DrLostRib (4209 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Its the same strawman arguments that console only gamers have fallen back on for years. My favourite is "PC only has RTS, MMO's and MOBA's".

remember when indie games didn't count? lol

#35 Edited by PinchySkree (1106 posts) -

All arguments from those who choose console over PC are usually garbage or already debunked nonsense from 6 years ago.

They need the protection of a child proof operating system even though using a PC has been taught in schools since the late 90's.

#36 Edited by Heirren (613 posts) -

I do not like internet. I do not stream movies and/or tv. I do not have dedicated home internet. How does pc gaming work, again?

#37 Posted by Jebus213 (10020 posts) -
@heirren said:

I do not like internet. I do not stream movies and/or tv. I do not have dedicated home internet. How does pc gaming work, again?

I smash my face into my keyboard in order to type.

#38 Posted by dxmcat (2371 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:
@heirren said:

I copy/pasted "keyboarding" practice lines in school.

Work smarter, not harder :P rofl.

#39 Posted by Heirren (613 posts) -

@Jebus213:

I do not own a computer anymore. I have an iPad pro and a phone. If I really need to use internet I go someplace.

#40 Edited by Jebus213 (10020 posts) -
@dxmcat said:
@Jebus213 said:
@heirren said:

I copy/pasted "keyboarding" practice lines in school.

Work smarter, not harder :P rofl.

I passed Keyboarding in High School with a C. Only did half the work. Didn't care too much. I've been spending all my free on the computer since I was 11 years old so typing was already second nature to me. By that time (15 years old, now 23) I didn't even need to look at the keyboard.

#41 Edited by Litchie (22290 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet: Good example of console gaming being more of a hassle than PC. Thanks for sharing.

#42 Posted by xhawk27 (10774 posts) -

Give it up. Some people like to relax and play games rather than maintain a gaming PC.

#43 Edited by CRUSHER88 (2025 posts) -

The maintenance of PC's has definitely gotten easier over the last ten years. Assuming your settings are set appropriately, most of it is automated now. The problem (if you want to call it a problem) mainly has to do with a few older games not functioning properly on some newer hardware. The obvious counter argument to that is at least the option to play these games exist. On the console end, MS has made some efforts with 360 and OG compatibility. Sony basically said **** you, subscribe to stream games you already own. Nintendo has taken a pretty interesting approach with the "classic" systems, covering many of the major hits from said console.

TLDR: Its hardly a problem anymore. It comes down to preference and I still primarily use my consoles over my "expensive" (Alienware Alpha LOL) gaming PC.

#44 Edited by koko-goal (1104 posts) -

Believe it or not, there are some console users who still believe PC is limited to K&M... "well I can't use my controller".

#45 Edited by BigBadBully (1938 posts) -

My issue is with multiplayer. I like the neutral settings on consoles. Seems like people on pc know more about tweaking settings for advantages, example PUBG and low settings for vegetation. Id be the one with full on vegetation thinking im hidden only to get picked off because someone had it on low. Then Escape From Tarkov people were able to change the lighting on the map at night to see better.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#47 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30842 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

remember when indie games didn't count? lol

Good times :)

#48 Posted by MirkoS77 (13279 posts) -

I have to wonder how long anyone's been playing PC gaming when that question is asked, no offense TC. While PC gaming has been improving in terms of convenience, if you play on them long enough you'll encounter issues. Just the nature of the beast. It's nothing to what it was years ago and I'd agree that problems are fairly rare, but they do happen, especially when older software is played on newer hardware/OSes. WHEN they happen, they can be nightmarish.

#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (97376 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

People who say it's hard to maintain a PC have never maintained a PC.

Canned air is expensive.

#50 Posted by foxhound_fox (97376 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Give it up. Some people like to relax and play games rather than maintain a gaming PC.

I'm sitting here in my recliner on my laptop, not maintaining it, and about to play some StarCraft II while watching TV. If I wanted to play PS3, I'd probably have to sit through a 2 hour download and install for updates (despite having a 100+ Mbps connection).