What's so bad about Fallout 4's graphics?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Everything looks pretty good except for the facial animations. I am playing on PC though. But I don't think it would be that MUCH different on console. Am I right, SW? Are people exaggerating about the graphics in this game?

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

The people I know who are playing on PC have no problem with it. I think it stems from console versions having slightly less texture quality and AA.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Well I'm playing on PC on ultra... I have no complaints other than the facial animations as well, but I'm just happy there isn't the weird floating around movement the previous games had. People were complaining about the graphics from the first footage we ever saw, I didn't see how it was bad then either.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Too many people are just morons who knee jerk so fast Usain Bolt would find it difficult to keep up.

Everything is either the best ever or worst ever to them, and there is just no inbetween or nuance. Hence a game that doesn't have the best ever graphics contains a fatal flaw that over shadows everything else.

olart4618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By olart4618
Member since 2010 • 478 Posts

There are fine, 20+ hours of fun, this place is full of fanboys, system wars reflects whats wrong with the industry, I just come here for the laughs that cause me these dickheads

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#6 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Visuals look good to me. Not the best, but that was never going to be the case nor is it a problem in any way.

At least it doesn't look like the muddy, murky green mess of Fallout 3.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Does it look as good as The Witcher 3? No. Does it look better than any other game in the fallout series? Yes. But it still looks better than Skyrim or Fallout 3 did and if it is as optimized as Skyrim then we won't have the riot that comes with a newly released un-optimized AAA games. I'll take a compelling story and fun gameplay over graphics any day. No doubt but I'm playing it on PC ultra settings but the console gamers however, they are ripe with people hating on the graphics of Fallout 4. I'd say 7 out of every 10 impressions post is negative to some degree.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Looks ok, the wasteland can look amazing at times.

Im approaching 40 hours game time on it

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Have a feeling this thread has a hidden agenda behind it.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

The textures are terrible. I think Bethesda was thinking "they're just going to mod it anyway", which is just as lazy as it is true.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Ive bought it now, just waiting for it to download.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

This is 2015, and the graphics in this game are not acceptable when you take the time to look at other games in its genre. Now, look at the textures in this game, they're low resolution, and they look really bad from short to medium range. It is really an immersion breaker when you can count how many polygons there are on your gun.

How come there are so many people who are dumb-founded that with the evolution of technology, expectations become higher? The game looks like shit, and it also performs even worse. I'm still buying it come the GoTY edition in 6 months for 5 dollars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The texture work, animations, saturation, and draw distance are pretty bad, but it's nothing unmanageable.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It, like any Bethesda game, is already dated.

Unfortunately, it takes the mod community to bring their games up to modern standards.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Game looks fine to me. Not great, but it does what it needs to do just fine.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

The graphics

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts
Bethesda in a nutshell
Bethesda in a nutshell

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Everything. Consoles are way more capable than what Bethesda managed to do, especially when the game is 30 fps only.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

People love to bitch

I haven't seen what it looks like on consoles, but on PC with everything maxed out, the game world looks pretty damn impressive to me. Sure, the character models aren't anything to write home about, but they aren't fucking hideous either.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@frank_castle: GTAV looks better, Infamous SS/FL looks better, TW3 looks better. The NPCs look pretty damn bad, overall the graphics look lazy.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Epak_ said:

@frank_castle: GTAV looks better, Infamous SS/FL looks better, TW3 looks better. The NPCs look pretty damn bad, overall the graphics look lazy.

Who cares?

GTA V is a linear game masquerading as an open world game. What are there...like 8 fucking buildings in the entire game that you can walk into? Doesn't have nearly the amount of interaction that Bethesda games possess.

Ditto for Infamous, but to an even greater degree.

Witcher 3 is the ONLY open world game whose graphics I found truly stunning. And even then it's not one seamless, open world. It's broken down into a bunch of fucking zones just like DA: Inquisition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Yeah they aren't terrible, but aren't great either. I'd agree though, mostly it's just the facial animations that are very doody. Mama Murphy especially. I think as long as the graphics fit their art style or environment they're mostly fine. They don't need to be groundbreaking, but it is a shame Bethesda didn't try as hard with the graphics as some other developers do, but as always graphics are usually the least important aspect.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@frank_castle said:
@Epak_ said:

Who cares?

GTA V is a linear game masquerading as an open world game. What are there...like 8 fucking buildings in the entire game that you can walk into? Doesn't have nearly the amount of interaction that Bethesda games possess.

Witcher 3 is the ONLY open world game whose graphics I found truly stunning. And even then it's not one seamless, open world. It's broken down into a bunch of fucking zones just like DA: Inquisition.

yea, except Velen by itself is way bigger than FO4's map. Probably by several orders of magnitude. You can also run from the countryside into large towns like Oxenfurt or Velen and into a large interior environment without a single loading screen, while at the same time looking better and running better than Fallout 4.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

It's like a last gen game, i don't know why ppl try to hide the obvious fact , it could've been hell a lot better .... don't give a free pass to Bethesda.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

Nothing. It looks significantly better than FO3 and FONV did on consoles last gen, and that's all that matters.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@frank_castle said:

Who cares?

GTA V is open-world. Just because the quests are linear doesn't make it any less so. It still takes a dump on Fallout IV graphically and was released 1/2 years before. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 3, Infamous SS, GTA V, Just Cause 3 are all open-world games and look a generation ahead of Fallout IV.

FattyMacFatCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FattyMacFatCat
Member since 2015 • 60 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@frank_castle said:

Who cares?

GTA V is open-world. Just because the quests are linear doesn't make it any less so. It still takes a dump on Fallout IV graphically and was released 1/2 years before.

and witcher 3s individual maps are way bigger than other open world games with no loading screens at all while looking orgasmic.

Fallout 4 is a technical disaster.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@superflyzero said:

Nothing. It looks significantly better than FO3 and FONV did on consoles last gen, and that's all that matters.

Your standards and those of Bethesda are clearly in alignment.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SuperFlyZero

@blueinheaven said:
@superflyzero said:

Agreed. Real gamer standards. Go watch a movie.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I fired up Witcher 3 today for the first time and snapped these two pictures...

THIS is what a 2015 game should look like.

Fallout 4 is ugly in every way possible. Horrible textures, flat out bad lighting/shading, very low resolution geometry, and everything has this weird blur to it. It's really bad.

rektmuhface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rektmuhface
Member since 2015 • 455 Posts

it's an ugly ass game in every imaginable way. One color palette, low res textures, blurry/muddy textures, animation that rivals PS1 games, awful AA, the shit list goes on...

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Let's not pretend that Bethesda games don't have a ton of loading screens. You may have an open world, but there are litterally hundreds of doors to load thorugh.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It's dated in pretty much every aspect. Buggy as all Hell, and the looks that only a mother could love.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blueinheaven

@superflyzero said:
@blueinheaven said:
@superflyzero said:

I play games and I watch movies. I don't expect a movie when I play a game and you don't even know what fucking games I play anyway so what is your point? 'real' gamers love shit graphics? Read your post back and feel stupid THAT would be 'real'.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Everything looks pretty good

It doesn't really.

FattyMacFatCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FattyMacFatCat
Member since 2015 • 60 Posts
@Wasdie said:

I fired up Witcher 3 today for the first time and snapped these two pictures...

THIS is what a 2015 game should look like.

Fallout 4 is ugly in every way possible. Horrible textures, flat out bad lighting/shading, very low resolution geometry, and everything has this weird blur to it. It's really bad.

Every time I fire this game up i end up strolling through the wilderness/cities, this game is a work of art. I wonder how big the budget was for fallout 4 compared to this game,

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SuperFlyZero

@blueinheaven said:
@superflyzero said:
@blueinheaven said:
@superflyzero said:

I play games and I watch movies. I don't expect a movie when I play a game and you don't even know what fucking games I play anyway so what is your point? 'real' gamers love shit graphics? Read your post back and feel stupid THAT would be 'real'.

Real gamers play games, watchers count pixels and complain. Smart people have dialog, the uneducated get mad and call people names.

DriftingHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DriftingHaze
Member since 2014 • 143 Posts

Nothing, it just not my type of game after giving it a try. I'm like tradition JRPGs.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Juub1990
@superflyzero said:

Real gamers play games, watchers count pixels and complain. Smart people have dialog, the uneducated get mad and call people names.

So we should all just go back to Atari 2600 graphics? Read your post again and be ashamed.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blueinheaven

@superflyzero said:
@blueinheaven said:
@superflyzero said:
@blueinheaven said:
@superflyzero said:

So by your logic anyone who plays games is a real gamer? You're contradicting yourself already. They play the same games as you they just don't accept low standards and incompetence whereas you will meekly bow before the devs 'I am not worthy' and similar bollocks and nobody watches pixels but they can very clearly tell if a game looks last gen on their current gen console.

If we were all like you I dread to think the state games would be released in. Fortunately for the future of the videogame industry we don't all accept whatever shit is thrown at us and praise the devs for it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Its not a beauty, but its not that bad. Game is a lot of fun. Too many folks get their panties in a bunch.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SuperFlyZero

@Juub1990: @blueinheaven: You guys like games like Ryse, The Order, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Until Dawn. You're looking forward to Detroit: Become Human.

Be very ashamed of yourselves.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juub1990
@superflyzero said:

@Juub1990: @blueinheaven: You guys like games like Ryse, The Order, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Until Dawn. You're looking forward to Detroit: Become Human.

You joined a week and a half ago and you're already trolling?

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SuperFlyZero

@Juub1990 said:
@superflyzero said:

I've noticed it's what you guys do here: complain like your own problems are the world's, act like entitled babies, make immature comments, troll, pretend to be bad asses, call each other retarded names.

Just trying to fit in.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Textures, textures are atrocious. Lighting is what saves its visuals *on pc* a little bit

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blueinheaven

@silversix_ said:

Textures, textures are atrocious. Lighting is what saves its visuals *on pc* a little bit

Lighting will be the same as on PC. At least the texture problem on PC will be solved with mods which will never happen on console.

Doug-E-Dope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Doug-E-Dope
Member since 2015 • 58 Posts

@superflyzero said:
@Juub1990 said:
@superflyzero said:

I've noticed it's what you guys do here: complain like your own problems are the world's, act like entitled babies, make immature comments, troll, pretend to be bad asses, call each other retarded names.

Just trying to fit in.

@superflyzero Hahaha agreed! Got to love the internet sometimes...

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Haven't played FO4 yet but from the gameplay videos that I been seeing it does look ugly for even a modern open world game. The Witcher 3 which is also a open world rpg looks very nice compared to FO4. But lets be honest here, seeing that FO3 and New Vegas were also ugly and the fact that Skyrim was also not very impressive isn't really a surprise that FO4 is also not that good looking ether. Hell even Oblivion had really ugly character models too and people say it was Bethesda's last game that was considered impressive for its time. The engines that is being used in Bethesda games which is Gamebryo or the Creation Engine are not the best engine in terms of great visuals.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The lighting on a PC set to Ultra can actually make the game look half decent, then you turn a corner and the graphics are back to fugly again.

I hope the modding community creates some magic soon but I think it will be several months, at least, before, it gets close to acceptable. As far as graphics are concerned what's needed are high res textures and massive improvements to character models. (it needs far more but those two would be a good start).

I still can't stop playing though, fucking game I've even made myself a Power Armour garage

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@intotheminx said:

The people I know who are playing on PC have no problem with it. I think it stems from console versions having slightly less texture quality and AA.

this