What's been your favorite generation of gaming so far? Do you think next gen has potential to be the best?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's been your favorite generation of gaming so far? Do you think next gen has potential to be the best? (38 votes)

Third Generation - Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, etc 0%
Fourth Generation - Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc 18%
Fifth generation - Playstation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Atari Jaguar 21%
Sixth Generation - Playstation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Sega Dreamcast, Xbox 34%
Seventh Generation - Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 13%
Eight Generation - Playstation 4, Wii U, Switch, Xbox One 13%

I've always been a fan of the Fifth Generation. It brought gaming into the 3D era. Seeing Super Mario 64 and Final Fantasy 7 for the first time blew my mind. It started a revolution! The Fifth Generation also had so many great JRPGs for its time. It was the golden era for that genre. It's also home to my favorite game of all time, Metal Gear Solid. Aside from that, I loved the Nintendo 64. Great console. I still think that was one of the greatest generations for sure. But now? It still holds up as one of the best, but I think this generation has been great. I think the Switch really changed things up. The fact that we have so many great games (including previous Nintendo titles) on one system, and it's portable, is awesome. The PS4 had a great generation, and gave us many memory titles. It's a beast of a console. I think the only generation that could give it a run for its money is the next one. The PS5, Xbox Series X, and Switch are all going to be very competitive. It will be awesome!

So what do you think, SW? What's been your favorite generation of gaming so far? And do you think next gen has potential to be the best?

• 
robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 robert_sparkes  Online
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Fourth gen for me both sega and Nintendo pushed each other to the limit.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I'm not gonna lie, they're all my favorites. I've had an absolute blast every gen since I first started gaming (around 1982 on a Texas instruments computer). I'm not sure I could pick one gen that's been better then the rest as they've all had big epic moments for me.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Sixth Gen. The PS2 just killed it and had an insane library of truly amazing games. In addition the Xbox was new and I actually liked some of their offerings, but the Gamecube was heavily underrated. It had a fantastic library of games. Also, the GBA to date is my favourite handheld.

Finally, this was when I was introduced to PC gaming. Can't forget The Sims, Total War, Half-Life 2... simply unforgettable gen.

Worst? This gen, by far.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

Last gen was excellent for me with Valve at their height (Half Life 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead) and PC excelling in both the FPS (Red Orchestra 2) and RTS genre (Company of Heroes 2).

On the other hand it seemed like every FPS wanted to be Call of Duty, and it's the gen that introduced us to microtransactions, yay!

Overall I'm always happiest with the current gen that I'm in, which is this gen. But will be next gen in a few years, and so on.

The current year is always the best year in gaming for me.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

PlayStation, Saturn, n64 was the most varied and creative gen

As costs increased it pushed developers out to the point where only aaa and indie devs are relevant. This will get worse next gen

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sega does what Nintendon't.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Voted gen 4.

Nothing will ever top the magic of gens 3 and 4 to me. Plenty of legit great games from that era for sure, not just some rose tinted nonsense. Could easily play those libraries and have a great time doing so. Hell, sometimes I'll revisit an oldie from that era and find that I appreciate it even more now.

Buuuut I'd be a liar if I pretend the "muh nostalgia" factor isn't what takes it over the top. Even if this industry started dropping an instant classic every month, still couldn't compete with the fun I had in that era.

My more "objective" outlook tho?

Despite all the bullshit this industry is throwing at us, I feel gaming continues on an upward trajectory. Not a clean trajectory, lots of ups and downs, but overall. There are so many good/great games being released, you couldn't possibly get around to playing them all. So many games coming out that would have been considered game of the gen, must plays, or best in genre way back when. Now they're just another "oh maybe I'll check it out some time" because there's so much good shit to play.

Shitty business practices are shitty, a lot of the AAA space has become garbage, but the good game design just keeps coming.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I’d say that the Fourth generation was my favourite particularly the SNES. That system was my all time favourite system with so many of my all time favourite games on it. Also the arcades were really hopping then as well. Having said that though I think gaming in general has progressively gotten better and I still thoroughly enjoy gaming today as much as ever.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#9  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Gen 5:

Sony PlayStation

• Final Fantasy 4-9, Lunar 1-2, Chrono Trigger & Cross, Resident Evil 1-3, Alundra, Grandia, Xenogears, Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Street Fighter Collection, Wild Arms 1-2, Wipeout 2097, Tekken 2-3, Breath of Fire 3-4, Metal Gear Solid, Star Ocean 2, Dragon Valor, Dead or Alive, Silent Hill, Suikoden 1-2, WWF SmackDown 1-2, Gran Turismo 1-2, Ridge Racer 1-4, Soul Blade, Tomb Raider 1-3, Rapid Reload, Policenauts, GTA, Doom 1-2, Hexen, Exhumed, Quake 1-2, Parasite Eve 1-2, Tales of Phantasia & Destiny, Persona 1-2, Cool Boarders, Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, King of Fighters, Toshinden 1-3, Zero Divide, Time Crisis, RayStorm & RayCrisis, ISS Pro, Adidas Power Soccer, Spyro the Dragon, Mizzurna Falls, Broken Sword, Jumping Flash 1-2, Pandemonium 1-2, Destruction Derby 1-2, Granstream Saga, Legend of Dragoon

Sega Saturn

• Lunar 1-2, Resident Evil, Grandia, Street Fighter Alpha 1-2, Street Fighter Collection, Virtua Fighter 1-2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Saturn Bomberman, Policenauts, EVE Burst Error, YU-NO, Machi, Exhumed, Quake, Tomb Raider, Sakura Wars 1-2, Nights & Christmas Nights, Panzer Dragoon 1-2 & Saga, Guardian Heroes, Shining Force 3, Radiant Silvergun, Virtua Cop 1-2, Sonic Jam, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, SMT Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers, Die Hard Arcade, King of Fighters, Panorama Cotton, The House of the Dead, RayStorm, Story of Thor, Dragon Force 1-2, Pandemonium, Destruction Derby, Burning Rangers

Nintendo 64

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Smash Bros, Resident Evil 2, F-Zero X, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, Blast Corps, Doom 64, Quake 1-2, Turok 1-2, Body Harvest, ISS 64, Kirby 64, Conquer's Bad Fur Day, Yoshi's Story, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, World Driver Championship

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

For me it's both Fourth and Sixth Generation.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Voted gen 4.

Nothing will ever top the magic of gens 3 and 4 to me. Plenty of legit great games from that era for sure, not just some rose tinted nonsense. Could easily play those libraries and have a great time doing so. Hell, sometimes I'll revisit an oldie from that era and find that I appreciate it even more now.

Buuuut I'd be a liar if I pretend the "muh nostalgia" factor isn't what takes it over the top. Even if this industry started dropping an instant classic every month, still couldn't compete with the fun I had in that era.

My more "objective" outlook tho?

Despite all the bullshit this industry is throwing at us, I feel gaming continues on an upward trajectory. Not a clean trajectory, lots of ups and downs, but overall. There are so many good/great games being released, you couldn't possibly get around to playing them all. So many games coming out that would have been considered game of the gen, must plays, or best in genre way back when. Now they're just another "oh maybe I'll check it out some time" because there's so much good shit to play.

Shitty business practices are shitty, a lot of the AAA space has become garbage, but the good game design just keeps coming.

Yea this generation to me is a leg up on the previous one because publishers learned that if they have shitty business practices, they will be called out on it (for the most part).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

It's a difficult question to answer... in terms of how many hours I've spent playing games and how much money I've spent in a generation, it'd have to be this current gen (between Switch and XB1).

But in terms of pure nostalgia and the generation I remember most fondly, that'd have to be the sixth gen (Gamecube & Xbox are still 2 of my favourite consoles of all time).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

For me sixth generation easily and I'm not basing that off of nostalgia alot of the games from that gen still hold up gameplay wise today. And it's not only the best console generation but also the best time to be a PC gamer so many classics from that era.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@warmblur said:

For me sixth generation easily and I'm not basing that off of nostalgia alot of the games from that gen still hold up gameplay wise today. And it's not only the best console generation but also the best time to be PC a gamer so many classics from that era.

i find the sixth generation also one of the best, but the x360 with party chat and standardized social platform just changed everything,

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yea this generation to me is a leg up on the previous one because publishers learned that if they have shitty business practices, they will be called out on it (for the most part).

Yeah, it's a give or take.

I agree there seems to be a lot more clap back to the shit they're rolling out these days than there was last gen. Of course publishers don't care too much about people yelling on the internet, but when it hits their pockets, they listen. And sometimes it actually does.

Then again, a lot of the shit is now normalized, people are just numb to it. Gotta put on a real shit show to get called out.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@tomalevine: "PlayStation, Saturn, n64 was the most varied and creative gen"

What did Saturn bring to the 5th generation?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner

@PSP107 said:

@tomalevine: "PlayStation, Saturn, n64 was the most varied and creative gen"

What did Saturn bring to the 5th generation?

Definitely adds to the variety he mentioned. Saturn still rep'd arcade style gaming and wasn't out here treating 2d gaming like the plague.

It offered a very different experience from what PS1 and N64 were serving (which were also worlds apart).

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
@tomalevine said:

As costs increased it pushed developers out to the point where only aaa and indie devs are relevant. This will get worse next gen

Idk man, seems like we bottomed out on this last gen and this gen saw the more "middle class" dev start to bounce back.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Bias as **** to old times, so always be 1990's.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I loved 360 gen, partly think it's due to the best 3d games without shitty practices from publishers, loved this gen with VR coming out and it will only improve. Loved the NES gen as that's what started gaming for me.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jag85

So far, it's a three-way tie between Gens 4, 5 and 6.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

4>5>6>8>7>3

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jag85

If I had to rank the generations:

1. Gen 5
  2. Gen 4
  3. Gen 6
  4. Gen 3
  5. Gen 8
  6. Gen 7
  7. Gen 2
  8. Gen 1

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

PC dont have generations so i go with era instead

Early 00s till 2007 is absolutely best gaming era follow by late 90s and 2016-onwards.

the worst era is 2008 till 2012.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

For new games six was the best. Hard to rate this gen with over 50% of my PS4 colection either a remaster or a remake.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@KillzoneSnake said:

For new games six was the best. Hard to rate this gen with over 50% of my PS4 colection either a remaster or a remake.

PS4 doesnot offer anything other than boring third person movie games. PS5 will follow same route

times to move on to PC or if playing on console than xbox.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Gen 6. Xbox ruled the world!

I’ll be sticking with Xbox next gen. Sony and Nintendo don’t make games I like.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

PS4 doesnot offer anything other than boring third person movie games. PS5 will follow same route

times to move on to PC or if playing on console than xbox.

You do realize games like Metro, Half Life, Max Payne are movie games as well right? Would love to see you actually play God of War on normal difficulty.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Gen 4

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I'll always have a special love for 16bit gen, but gaming was never as good as it is today. AAAs finally look like CGI movies and are ridiculously polished, indies brought 2d gaming and a ton of dead genres back to relevance, and VR is just too good. All in all, there was never as much diversity and quality as there's now, and it's not even close.

All i can say by looking at the poll is that nostalgia can be a hell of a drug!

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#32 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

PS2/GC/Xbox gen was best for me.

If it wasnt for Switch, this gen would have been by far the worst. Wii U was a complete flop and I regret all the money I put into it. PS4 has exclusives in pretty much only one genre that I dont give a shit about, and there is almost nothing on Xbone that I cant play on my PC.

I have no plans to get either next-gen system at this point given how this gen has gone. I expect more of the same. All the bullshit monetization that is now rampant even in fully priced games isnt helping either.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1236 Posts

PS2 gen. All 3 systems were unique and worth owning.

I have pretty low expectations for next gen... going to be more of the same, possibly even worse with publishers trying new ways to squeeze us for money and dev costs continuing to rise.

Improvements to VR are just about the only thing worth being excited for.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

even though i grew up on the third gen, i didnt really start loving gaming until the 6th gen

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

PS2 is the best. It has the largest library with so many classic and, its backwards compatible with PS1. Damnit Sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Bias as **** to old times, so always be 1990's.

90's was amazing in general man we didn't know how good we had it.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

this gen will be awesome with the ssd in these systems. the load times this gen was so bad. picture instinct play like nes days with cartridges with today's graphics.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I'd probably say Gen 6, although there are a lot of elements I loved from both the generations before and after it. This gen was probably the weakest for me until things really started ramping up in 2017.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts
@sakaixx said:

PS2 is the best. It has the largest library with so many classic and, its backwards compatible with PS1. Damnit Sony.

i rather have a cheaper ps now with all ps1-ps4 games on it well all the games that they can on it. like gamepass because of the ssd it would be instant play with all these titles. up scale each game as well.

meaning like netflix set up and actually put as many games as they can from each generation on it.

Just keep the ps4 games to work backwards.

im also saying this because i lost every game i ever owned in a house fire and don't have anything left from previous gens.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11269 Posts

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the 5th generation; my first games I ever played were Tekken 3, Syphon Filter, Crash Bandicoot

but most of my favourite games belong to the 6th generation: Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, SSX, SSX Tricky, SSX3, Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, Diablo II: LOD

But my peak as a gamer was the 7th generation, (2005-2010 specifically) and the two best games I've ever played are Metal Gear Solid 4 and The Last of Us.

This gen has been decent though.