What would it take for you to choose Xbox over Playstation next gen?

• 125 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (24044 posts) 1 month, 7 days ago

Poll: What would it take for you to choose Xbox over Playstation next gen? (86 votes)

Not much, I can go either way 24%
Xbox would have to do a lot 26%
I'm going with Xbox no matter what 20%
I'll never go Xbox 21%
I'm a die-hard Playstation fan 9%

Right now I think it's pretty safe to say that Playstation is the heavy weight champ at the moment. They are the clear favorite for next gen based on library and backwards compatibility. But Xbox has a chance to redeem itself.. at least that's what you would think. What would it take for you to choose Xbox over Playstation next gen, SW? Is it an easy decision or would Xbox have to do a lot to sway you over? For me, I just don't see Xbox winning me over. Playstation has always had a diverse library that I enjoy more over Xbox.

#1 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

Launch day, is all it will take. :P

#2 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

You lost me at Playstation backward compatibility.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#3 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24044 posts) -
@Pedro said:

PS4's backwards compatibility will be a huge win. So many great games that people don't have to worry about missing out on.

#4 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Last I checked from diehard Sony fannies, noone cares about backward compatibility. Why would they care with the PS5?

#5 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

Nothing, Xbox lost me when they don't have exclusives, even Xbox's IPs are on PC now. So why would I? There isn't a single reason for me to buy a next gen Xbox at all.

#6 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@npiet1: I am glad you are not in charge of Xbox because there is literally no reason any Xbox game especially made by MS should not also be on PC.

#7 Posted by TheEroica (18388 posts) -

I like switching between the consoles as a primary. I'm gonna let them all make their case and then choose. Right now they're all competing equally for my money.

#8 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

@Pedro: it defeats the purpose of me buying the console. Seriously what reason could I have to buy a next gen Xbox when I've got a PC?

#9 Posted by Sushiglutton (7156 posts) -

A strong library of single player focused games. Seems highly unlikely at this point.

#10 Posted by UItravioIence (1175 posts) -

I'd only switch to xbox if Star Citizen or Arma is a console exclusive.

#11 Posted by osan0 (15380 posts) -

Breaking xbox up a bit:

xbox the console: they would need to stop releasing their games on windows AND have a bunch of exclusives that interest me. this gen i have see no reason for me to pick up an xbox one. they dont produce anything that interests me. no one i know uses an xbox and i have little to no interest in MP anyway.

xbox the platform: games, games and more games. i primarily do my PC gaming on linux though (my windows 10 laptop has some gaming chops but its getting on a bit). they would have to release games that really tempt me to make a windows 10 partition. i would of course be more inclined to buy MSs games if they brought them to linux too (whether through steam, GOG or port their own store over...their call). but that is very very unlikely unfortunately.

xbox the service (Live): I dont have any interest in MP. i would use the service to buy DLC im interested in for games that use it of course but i wouln't subscribe to gold or that gamepass service. i have absolutely no interest in games as a service or a subscription.

#12 Posted by I_P_Daily (11438 posts) -

Cows love BC again LOL. Please cows never change.

#stayhypocrites

#13 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (625 posts) -

Xbox is trash at this point. Nothing MS could do would make me buy an Xbox.

Last Xbox I owned was a 360 and I barely played it. MS are a joke.

#14 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@npiet1: I am glad you are not in charge of the Xbox division because there is no need to lock games to the Xbox when they are not only the backbone of PC gaming but PC gaming doesn't directly compete with console gaming. Excluding PC for first party games is a dumb move and no one who already own a PC should be desiring the Xbox have exclusives.

#15 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

So much...

Stop, mah eyes are burning. lol :P

#16 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

@Pedro: you never answered my question, I never said I wanted to be in charge of Xbox. Your going off on some random tangent that has nothing to do with what I said. So I'll ask again. If I own a PC and Xbox exclusives come to PC, why would I purchase a Xbox?

#17 Edited by robert_sparkes (2941 posts) -

Xbox need a very good launch with games not 3rd party. The price point will be very interesting I feel this sad edition is like a trial run. If it is a success a cheaper digital version of the system will be available alongside the powerhouse. Just my opinion.

#18 Posted by pdogg93 (1529 posts) -

Xbox has nothing but ‘games as a service’. Unfortunately, that service is padded with stinky turds.

After I bought the OG xbone and was plagued with issues like HDMI handshaking, wrong channels firing through my 7.1 surround and the Kinect dying after a few months I vowed to never buy an Xbox again.

We shall see what they bring to the table but for now I’m excited for the PS5

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#19 Posted by storm_of_swords (2749 posts) -

As long as Xbox continues to offer physical media, I will buy the next Xbox console since I have always preferred to play multiplats on Xbox due to it's better controller and better online service and I doubt that will change.

I used to buy Playstation consoles too for their exclusives, but Sony is too obsessed with movie-games that I don't give a damn about nowadays and no longer offer me any exclusives that appeal to me anymore. So unless Sony starts focussing on more than just movie-games, the PS5 will be the first Playstation console that I do not ever buy.

#20 Posted by sealionact (3802 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: We have no idea how BC will be implemented. Will it be free, or subscription based? Can you put a ps4 disc in and have it work straightaway, or will it be an emulated download?

What happens to psnow? I'm pretty confident that my entire digital library will be playable on xb2 day 1...I'm not convinced that Sony will manage the same.

#21 Posted by Archangel3371 (27595 posts) -

I currently use Xbox One as my primary system because there are a number of things that I prefer about it such as the controller and it’s ecosystem. I also really enjoy their games overall. I’m not interested in PC gaming so the fact that they publish most of their games on the PC doesn’t influence my choice at all. As long as they continue to make a controller and provide an ecosystem that I prefer over the others plus make games that I really enjoy then I’ll likely continue to use their consoles as my primary system.

#22 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@SolidGame_basic: We have no idea how BC will be implemented. Will it be free, or subscription based? Can you put a ps4 disc in and have it work straightaway, or will it be an emulated download?

What happens to psnow? I'm pretty confident that my entire digital library will be playable on xb2 day 1...I'm not convinced that Sony will manage the same.

No matter, cows prefer to pay for BC, they've said so all gen long..

They like that kind of thing. lol :P

#23 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10329 posts) -

None of the answer really fit me since I buy all systems usually. The next xBox might be the first I skip in a long time though, especially when they keep on bringing their games to PC. My Pc will probably be better than next gen consoles, so there's no point in owning a system with no exclusives and worse versions of what I get on PC. That is a good thing though

#24 Edited by DaVillain- (36080 posts) -

Dude, your poll is missing something like "Never because all Xbox games are now on PC" or "I'll get a next-gen Xbox only if MS stop porting their games on PC"

The answer is simple, I'll never buy a next-gen Xbox (Xbox Scarlet) because MS is now supporting PC and as long as they do, you can bet I'll never buy another Xbox console ever again and that's a fact!

#25 Edited by lamprey263 (36052 posts) -

I imagine both consoles will be comparable with mostly similar line-up with only few notable exclusives to push people on the fence one way or another. Both consoles should offer BC, I think where people have started tying down their digital rights to games and which system their friends play on might weigh on consumers more than exclusives and console features down the road.

I will probably get both though.

#26 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20506 posts) -

Exclusives, continued BC support, and having the best hardware. The first thing isn't happening though, so if I get it, it'll just be a gratuitous purchase like the Xbox One.

#27 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@Pedro: you never answered my question, I never said I wanted to be in charge of Xbox. Your going off on some random tangent that has nothing to do with what I said. So I'll ask again. If I own a PC and Xbox exclusives come to PC, why would I purchase a Xbox?

No need to answer your question because its doesn't relate to the point that having exclusives (games not being on PC) on the Xbox is a dumb move and should not be entertained.

#28 Edited by Jacanuk (18280 posts) -

Hmm, where is the option "I am a gamer and will buy both consoles as long as there are games to play on it"

I don´t pick and chose a "side" I pick being a gamer and enjoy that and therefore, of course, I will get both consoles again like this gen and gens before it.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#29 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1377 posts) -

The main reason why I personally prefer Xbox over Playstation because of:

• Halo (My favourite FPS series of all time!)
  • Forza Horizon (Best arcade-style racing game series of all time!)
  • Xbox Live (Best online service!)
#30 Posted by Fedor (4646 posts) -

Never, have a pc. Thanks for the cheese, MS.

#31 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@npiet1 said:

No need to answer your question because its doesn't relate to the point that having exclusives (games not being on PC) on the Xbox is a dumb move and should not be entertained.

my original point and what you said had nothing to do with each other, me saying I don't need an xbox because the exclusives are now on PC. You want to make a point that wasn't there to begin with. The reason you didn't answer the question was because there isn't a point of me buying a xbox when I already have a PC. You are just making yourself look foolish and wanting to start an argument when there isn't one to begin with.

#32 Posted by Epak_ (10642 posts) -

Price, actual quality exclusives, power. Probably get all the consoles next gen as always, but don't know the order yet.

#33 Edited by DaVillain- (36080 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@npiet1: I am glad you are not in charge of the Xbox division because there is no need to lock games to the Xbox when they are not only the backbone of PC gaming but PC gaming doesn't directly compete with console gaming. Excluding PC for first party games is a dumb move and no one who already own a PC should be desiring the Xbox have exclusives.

To be fair, MS had no intention of supporting PC at the start of this gen and they were losing sells cause hardly anyone was buying Xbox One due to the early backlashes they got and they needed more sells, so it's why they are now supporting PC but this wasn't their true intention from the start.

Don't get me wrong, I'm graceful MS is porting games on PC and I don't mind buying them on Windows 10 store cause it saves me the trouble of buying another console just to play several games.

#34 Posted by Beat128 (140 posts) -

Where the choice pick both poll inaccurate

#35 Posted by WESTBLADE (391 posts) -
@Pedro said:

@SolidGame_basic: Last I checked from diehard Sony fannies, noone cares about backward compatibility. Why would they care with the PS5?

Sony started this ''trend'' with PS2, though. By including the previous hardware + using that new hardware to ''enhance'' the visuals/performance, they obviously followed that with launch PS3's... and then fucked up with non-BC PS3 by taking out PS2 chips to cut down on manufacturing and retail price...
Software emulation on a different architecture is NOT backwards compatibility, go back to your senses people...

#36 Posted by XVision84 (15799 posts) -

I'm a PC gamer so I have no reason to get an xbox. Looking forward to halo collection :).

#37 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@WESTBLADE said:
@Pedro said:

Sony started this ''trend'' with PS2, though. By including the previous hardware + using that new hardware to ''enhance'' the visuals/performance, they obviously followed that with launch PS3's... and then fucked up with non-BC PS3 by taking out PS2 chips to cut down on manufacturing and retail price...

Software emulation on a different architecture is NOT backwards compatibility, go back to your senses people...

What are you talking about?

#38 Posted by AJStyles (739 posts) -

Xbox brand is dead. 3 failed gens in a row.

#39 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

my original point and what you said had nothing to do with each other, me saying I don't need an xbox because the exclusives are now on PC. You want to make a point that wasn't there to begin with. The reason you didn't answer the question was because there isn't a point of me buying a xbox when I already have a PC. You are just making yourself look foolish and wanting to start an argument when there isn't one to begin with.

Like I have said, I am glad that you are not in charge because we don't need the Xbox to have exclusive.

#40 Posted by sleepnsurf (3159 posts) -
@Pedro said:

Oh so now BC matters to you lazy ass cows. Worst bunch of a- holes on the planet.

#41 Posted by jeezers (2672 posts) -

Im going back to xbox next gen, i went playstation because most of my friends did. I dont care about uncharted, horizon, or new gow. (ratchet and clank and spiderman were cool tho)

I miss halo and gears and forza, Ps4 isnt a bad system but its not all that, halo infinite alone most likely will pull me to xbox next gen. Its funny, i got a ps4 to play with my friends cus most went 360 to ps4, but ps4 has shitty mp exclusives, if we play anything its overwatch or rainbowsix, titan fall, mp games that are also on xbox. I get alot more out of mp games than single player, plus BC, i have a big 360 collection. also i dgaf about PSVR at all and that seems to be something sony is investing in.

#42 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8352 posts) -

M$ would have to give me one for free after the bs with the Xbone launch and them dropping everything (kinect, exclusives) wasting my money.

#43 Posted by Fedor (4646 posts) -

@sleepnsurf: You drunk?

#44 Posted by WESTBLADE (391 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@WESTBLADE said:
@Pedro said:

What are you talking about?

Xbox 360 nor Xbox One is backwards compatible - Original Xbox had an Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU, Xbox 360 was using a custom PowerPC CPU + ATi (now AMD) GPU. Let's take a look at Xbox One - AMD CPU+GPU (APU). That's why you can't pop-in any OG Xbox disc into X360 and same goes for Xbox One. They all lack the previous gen hardware components, so they have to ''emulate'' that shit by software. What's so hard to understand? Do some reserach...

#45 Posted by pmanden (589 posts) -

I am generally more of an xbox fan than Sony fan, but it can go both ways. I will probably end up doing the same thing, which I did this generation : Bought a Playstation first, then an xbox a few years later.

#46 Posted by Pedro (34010 posts) -

@WESTBLADE said:

Xbox 360 nor Xbox One is backwards compatible - Original Xbox had an Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU, Xbox 360 was using a custom PowerPC CPU + ATi (now AMD) GPU. Let's take a look at Xbox One - AMD CPU+GPU (APU). That's why you can't pop-in any OG Xbox disc into X360 and same goes for Xbox One. They all lack the previous gen hardware components, so they have to ''emulate'' that shit by software. What's so hard to understand? Do some reserach...

You are mistaken. I understand how it works. I wanted to know if you were attempting claim that backward compatibility via software was not backward compatibility. If that's the case, then you need to do more research. :)

#47 Edited by WESTBLADE (391 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@WESTBLADE said:

You are mistaken. I understand how it works. I wanted to know if you were attempting claim that backward compatibility via software was not backward compatibility. If that's the case, then you need to do more research. :)

So i guess my PC running Windows 10 is as of is now officialy backwards compatible with almost all the previous console gens up to Wii U? WOW.

#48 Posted by Subspecies (327 posts) -

A miracle.

Or, some really REALLY good VR.

#49 Posted by shellcase86 (4351 posts) -

I won't. But maybe next-next gen? If MS treats their next platform from the onset the way they have treated the Xbone the last 2 years or so, then I would consider it.

#50 Edited by Random_Matt (3955 posts) -

Why choose one over the other? If Fable 4 ever comes out, I'll own both. No interest in building rigs anymore.