What was your favorite system from each gen you've been playing?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Sega / Nintendo wars of the 90s: I didn't have a clear favorite. They both had distinct libraries and I liked that.

PS1 vs N64: Both were great consoles, but PS1 takes the edge due to JRPG library. It was legendary!

PS2 vs Dreamcast vs Xbox vs Gamecube: Definitely a toss up between PS2 and GameCube. But because Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe ended up on PS2, I think I have to give the edge to Sony.

PS3 vs 360 vs Wii: PS3 had a bad launch, without a doubt. But 360 just didn't appeal to me. It was too much of a dude bro shooter console. PS3 had a nice balance. And the Wii has no chance due to emphasizing motion controls. That was ridiculous!

PS4 vs X1 vs Wii U: PS4 wins pretty easily. Top notch exclusives and also had the edge with multiplats.

How about you, SW? What was your favorite system from each gen you've been playing?

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 732 Posts

In the 90s I didn't know what console wars were and wanted everything. I think I loved my SNES the most though.

PS1 was my next console and really took my gaming up a notch.

PS2 was easily my console of choice here. I didn't own a Dreamcast until the very end of it's life cycle, and simply then so I could play Shenmue. Hey, anybody know where I can find some sailors? I eventually picked up an Xbox and fell in love with it. KOTOR and Jade Empire were favs.

I started off with a 360 in this gen. And I would say that for the first half of it, there was no real competition. Eventually picked up the PS3 and enjoyed a strong finish from Sony.

And this is where Sony snagged me pretty hard. Loved the entire PS4 gen. I owned an Xbox One but it was barely used.

As a gamer, I generally go where the games are. Right now it looks like Sony will be delivering in that respect, but as my past shows, I'm tied to both systems. Will eventually get a Series X as well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38714 Posts

N64
Xbox
X360
PS4
PS5 (the only system that matters)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

NES
SNES (Sega Mega Drive on close 2nd)
N64
GameCube
Wii
Wii U
Switch

That list might make me look like a Nintendo fanboy (which I pretty much am), but as a PC gamer, there's never been much use of PS or Xbox.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Smart alek answer: PC. Every gen its PC. :P

Out of consoles though my answers should be taken in the context that i basically had a PC most of the time (especially from the PS1 gen onwards). So that would drastically affect the number of games i would buy for other systems.

Nes and co. Nes. i only had a nes so it kinda wins by default. I remember playing the mega drive though and thinking it was pretty cool.

Snes and co. See Nes.

PS1/N64: PS1. never had an N64 and the PS1 just had so many great games. it was a breath of fresh air after a long time on nes and Snes. I remember seeing the likes of OOT and Mario 64 and thinking they looked really cool though.

PS2/gamecube/Xbox: gamecube. i remember picking it up as a curio after seeing Wind waker and started to find more and more little gems. Picked up metroid prime on a whim (never heard of metroid despite having a nes and snes) and that ended up in my top five GOAT games. also just a great system to play games on.

PS3/360/wii: the wii. the most refreshing console made since the PS1. a lot of crap in the library, sure, but also many diamonds. i generally liked the motion controls (or at worst they didnt bother me) and the pointer (i miss that pointer). lack of horsepower was unfortunate but not a deal breaker. i also dicovered a love for monster hunter on that system :).

PS4/X1/Wiiu. wii u by default. I never got to a point where i thought "i really want a PS4/X1" so i never got one. i did get a wiiu for very cheap using a combination of deals which was cool. it had some cool games and i got my moneys worth but if i knew then what i know now i wouldn't have bothered with a wiiu either (basically Xenoblade X is the last holdout for the wiiu. the switch has the best the wiiu has to offer otherwise). not a great console gen for me to be honest.

Switch/PS5/XSX: Currently the switch has i dont have a PS5 or XSX. but this one is currently TBD. I'm just shoving the switch in with this gen for simplicity....the whole gens thing is a bit messed up at the moment.

As i say: if i didnt have a PC my answers above would probably be quite different.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I started off with NES so that was my favorite at the time. I didn't even really know about the Sega Master System. Favorite games include the Ninja Turtles series, Ducktales, Double Dragon series, Micro Machines and Bionic Commando.

Next up, I switched camps to Sega. I ended up with a Game Gear and it's still my favorite handheld to this day. I eventually got a Genesis as well but not until the model 2 had been on the market for a bit. Favorite games include Sonic series, Jurassic Park, Comix Zone, Judge Dredd and Mortal Kombat 2.

Next up, I switched camps yet again getting the first Playstation for Christmas '95. The switch to 3D gave developers incredible freedom to make what they wanted and the PS1 had easily 10x the amount of great games from the generations that came before it. At the top are Resident Evil series, Tomb Raider series, Twisted Metal 2, Destruction Derby and Dino Crisis.

This gen was kind of a 3 way split for me between PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube. PS2 was my main for games like Tomb Raider, God of War, GTA and the Prince of Persia series. I had a Dreamcast since it launched. Favorite on that included Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and Ecco. Gamecube was my Zelda and Resident Evil system with Smash Bros on the side.

Next up I was all in on PS3. I was eventually gifted a Wii but it was trash. I enjoyed PS3 much more than PS2 but I think that could be due to much better writing and detail in single player games coupled with far more online co-op games and the refinement of online in general. Favorites include the Uncharted series (2nd still being my GOAT), Assassins Creed, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect series and Red Dead Redemption.

I decided to keep to just the Playstation camp with PS4. I picked one up at launch and had a blast with it for the entire gen. I was excited to see nearly all my favorite games or series land on the system with the exception of Dino Crisis but was sad that the online co-op and couch co-op games were few and far between. My favorites of the gen include the Uncharted series (duh), Tomb Raider made a comeback, For Honor, Shenmue 3, and Ghost of Tsushima.

For this newer gen, PS5 will be my main system and the Switch will be almost exclusively for the kids. The only times I bought a Switch game for me was for Zelda at launch and Sonic Mania. So far, PS5 has had the usual tame first year on the market. My favorites so far include Astro's Playroom, AC Valhalla, Oddworld Soulstorm and strangely enough, Destruction Allstars. I look forward to seeing what this new gen brings.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Well, I've always been a PC gamer first and foremost. But of the consoles

NES

Genesis

PS1

Dreamcast

PS3

Switch

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

SNES

N64

3 way tie between PS2, Xbox and GC, this was my favorite gen

PS3

PS4

PS5

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

NES, SNES, PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360, and then I quit console gaming completely.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eoten
@Telekill said:

I started off with NES so that was my favorite at the time. I didn't even really know about the Sega Master System. Favorite games include the Ninja Turtles series, Ducktales, Double Dragon series, Micro Machines and Bionic Commando.

Next up, I switched camps to Sega. I ended up with a Game Gear and it's still my favorite handheld to this day. I eventually got a Genesis as well but not until the model 2 had been on the market for a bit. Favorite games include Sonic series, Jurassic Park, Comix Zone, Judge Dredd and Mortal Kombat 2.

Next up, I switched camps yet again getting the first Playstation for Christmas '95. The switch to 3D gave developers incredible freedom to make what they wanted and the PS1 had easily 10x the amount of great games from the generations that came before it. At the top are Resident Evil series, Tomb Raider series, Twisted Metal 2, Destruction Derby and Dino Crisis.

This gen was kind of a 3 way split for me between PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube. PS2 was my main for games like Tomb Raider, God of War, GTA and the Prince of Persia series. I had a Dreamcast since it launched. Favorite on that included Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and Ecco. Gamecube was my Zelda and Resident Evil system with Smash Bros on the side.

Next up I was all in on PS3. I was eventually gifted a Wii but it was trash. I enjoyed PS3 much more than PS2 but I think that could be due to much better writing and detail in single player games coupled with far more online co-op games and the refinement of online in general. Favorites include the Uncharted series (2nd still being my GOAT), Assassins Creed, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect series and Red Dead Redemption.

I decided to keep to just the Playstation camp with PS4. I picked one up at launch and had a blast with it for the entire gen. I was excited to see nearly all my favorite games or series land on the system with the exception of Dino Crisis but was sad that the online co-op and couch co-op games were few and far between. My favorites of the gen include the Uncharted series (duh), Tomb Raider made a comeback, For Honor, Shenmue 3, and Ghost of Tsushima.

For this newer gen, PS5 will be my main system and the Switch will be almost exclusively for the kids. The only times I bought a Switch game for me was for Zelda at launch and Sonic Mania. So far, PS5 has had the usual tame first year on the market. My favorites so far include Astro's Playroom, AC Valhalla, Oddworld Soulstorm and strangely enough, Destruction Allstars. I look forward to seeing what this new gen brings.

I just found my Game Gear I had when I was a kid. I thought my parents sold it decades ago with my original Genesis, SNES, N64, etc, however, I also found those. As you might expect, the Game Gear caps are all bad after so long.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Telekill

@eoten: Yep. I had found that my old caps had leaked and ate through my motherboard. Had to get it replaced. I also had all caps replaced with new modern ones and the tube back lighting replaced with LEDs. I may eventually also get the screen replaced with something more modern for better clarity.

I'm planning on picking up an Everdrive for it should the IRS actually give me my damn tax return that's months late or the stimulus they said they were going too give everyone. Almost comical that if I were months late paying on taxes they'd have garnished my wages by now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Atari 2600

NES

SNES

PlayStation

PlayStation 2

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Switch - jury is still out on this one though as the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 haven’t been out nearly long enough to judge.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eoten

@Telekill said:

@eoten: Yep. I had found that my old caps had leaked and ate through my motherboard. Had to get it replaced. I also had all caps replaced with new modern ones and the tube back lighting replaced with LEDs. I may eventually also get the screen replaced with something more modern for better clarity.

I'm planning on picking up an Everdrive for it should the IRS actually give me my damn tax return that's months late or the stimulus they said they were going too give everyone. Almost comical that if I were months late paying on taxes they'd have garnished my wages by now.

I should crack mine open later. I have the tools to replace the caps, I just don't have the caps but there's no reason I cannot go in and doing a full cleaning, and remove the caps now. I am currently trying to get the old SNES I found to work but so far I'm thinking something is wrong with the work-ram chip.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Telekill

@eoten: Yeah, there's currently a boom of Game Gear resurgence in the retro gaming community. Tons of customization from different colored buttons and shells to printed pattern glass screens and of course all the modifications and replacement parts such as caps and even screws. Check etsy.com. I recently got myself a new set of button membranes and a Jellybelly Customs USB cable that safely ups the 5v of a USB outlet to 9v so you can play your Game Gear from anywhere that has a USB outlet. Works great.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xantufrog  Moderator

@Telekill: that USB adapter sounds great

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

3rd. Nes

4th. Megadrive

5th. Playstation

6th. Xbox

7th. Xbox 360

8th. Playstation 4

9th. Haven't decided yet.

That said, my favourite gaming system of all time is the Amiga 500, but i'm not sure from which generation it belongs.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekill

@xantufrog: I think I got it for about $15. You can order direct from Jellybelly Customs on Etsy, but if you're not in the UK it'll take quite a while to get to you but they also have a US and UK version of the cable. I ordered from RetroGameRepairShop who is US based so it got to me quicker. Same cable either way, you just have to ensure you're getting the one specific to your region.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts
  • Intellivision
  • NES
  • Genesis
  • Saturn
  • Xbox
  • Xbox 360
  • PS4

If we're counting PC, it's my favorite system since gen 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

BRO HOW DID YOu pick ps3 over the 360?

I've been gamer since atari 2600... I bought the ps3 for nino kuni the first jrpg they got that was anime....late into the cycle when ps4 was already out they had what god of war 3 and nino kuni that was it for the ps3

why the heck did you pick ps3 over the 360 solid? I've been a gamer since atari 2600 I just don't see that one going through

PS4 this gen 360 last gen that makes sense.

I'm gonna go with the gamers here

GEN 1 - Atari 2600 - over everything at the start (has pacman frogger pitfall moon patrol this thing kills everything gen 1

GEN 2 - you got the NES - this thing slays everything you got castlevania's you got megamans nothing is competing with this here

GEN 3 - you got SNES - taking over this thing link to the past FF6 FF4 FF5 FF everything genesis solid 2nd place though! They had some originals. BEST 2-way rivalry ever GENESIS vs SNES best 2-way fight.

GEN 4 - you got PS1 - GOT PS1 baby honorable mention n64 its not trash imo its got mario 64 and ocarina and bomberman 64 and tons of star fox 64 goldeneye this aint crap bro this aint crap.

GEN 5 - PC - TOOK OVER PC but i guess for consoles its between xbox and ps2 thats tie xbox had fable and halo 1-2 those clobber a lot of ps2 games and ps2 just had tons of games gamecube wasn't very relevant at all for gamers it had like rogue squadron and some double dash or some stuff meh. This was a 3-way battle ROYALE between PS2 original xbox and PC was like get outa my way with everquest an stuff and gamecube just had some games this was killer time for competition.

GEN 6 - PC DOMINATING - 360 easy 2nd place ps3 3rd just terrible just terrible and what we had the wii that was trash except for smash and families playing games on there and virtual console.

GEN 7 - PS4 start hitting PC a little bit for me and xbox 1 just had a disaster and wiiU just nobodoy cares

GEN 8 - SWITCH - KILLING PC gaming for me, and PS5 is bulky like the x-series x PC killing both right now till the games come

Total Tally

Nintendo won 3 gens

Sony won 2 gens

PC wins 2 gens

Xbox wins 2nd place twice

Atari wins 1 gen

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

PS1

PS2

PS3

PS4

That doesn't mean I am a Playstation fanboy though.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

SNES

N64

PS2

PS3

PS4

PS5

(Too much Sony I need to branch out to other platforms. I'm thinking of getting a switch)

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3540 Posts

NES

SNES

Playstation

Gamecube (but shoutout to Dreamcast)

PS3

PS4

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xantufrog  Moderator

@ProtossRushX: bro

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@ProtossRushX: bro

bro c'mon my post was pretty cool tho

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic

@ProtossRushX said:

BRO HOW DID YOu pick ps3 over the 360?

I've been gamer since atari 2600... I bought the ps3 for nino kuni the first jrpg they got that was anime....late into the cycle when ps4 was already out they had what god of war 3 and nino kuni that was it for the ps3

why the heck did you pick ps3 over the 360 solid? I've been a gamer since atari 2600 I just don't see that one going through

I'm just not the type of person to play Gears with my buddies and get all excited when I get a headshot, or slap someone's ass after I score a touchdown in Madden. I prefer the artistic games of PS3, games like Journey where you wander around for a couple hours and call it a day. Or MGS 4, a Kojima cinematic tour de force. Don't believe me? Check this article out:

Journey designer: PlayStation Network players “more likely to be interested in artistic games” than 360 or Wii

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Atari 2600

Commodore 64

NES

PC

PS4

Currently undecided/neutral.

I like the playstation I really do, but right now BC just stomps everything, and I love Gears of War and Gamepass, the Xbox is just a more meaty system with more to satisfy my violence boner. PS is just too weabish, it's like being served the best looking salad when what you really want is steak.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

All systems:

• Gen 1-4 - Arcade
  • Gen 5 - PS1
  • Gen 6 - PS2
  • Gen 7-8 - PC

Consoles only:

• Gen 1 - Pong
  • Gen 2 - ColecoVision
  • Gen 3 - Master System
  • Gen 4 - Mega Drive
  • Gen 5 - PS1
  • Gen 6 - PS2
  • Gen 7 - Wii
  • Gen 8 - Switch

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
  • Sega Master System/Gameboy Colour
  • PS1
  • Gamecube (Xbox very close behind)
  • PS3 by default (preferred 360 but RROD killed my love of Xbox for a while)
  • Xbox One/One X
  • Switch
Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Estrowin
Member since 2018 • 66 Posts

Saturn, I like the ps1s library more and had a ps1 growing up. The Saturn is the cooler system

Ps2- I had this growing up but all four were awesome like the ps1/n64/Saturn gen

Ps3- had a 360 since 2007 and got a ps3 in 2013 but I prefer the xmb because it’s like psp

Xbox one x- the best quality system of the gen. Love it’s performance, aesthetic, value

Ps5- I haven’t tried the xsx

Please make a topic on handhelds

GBC

GBA

PSP

Vita

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Estrowin

@ProtossRushX:

It’s really just preference. Both systems had phenomenal libraries.

I prefer the aesthetics of the ps3, the operating system, and the library as I imagine many did.

Sure the 360 had better multiplats but while inferior versions usually the ps3 ones were playable.

I like tales of series, resident evil (ps3 move over Kinect), final fantasy, Mgs, ratchet and clank (og games but I sold my ps2 games like a dunce so the lazy port to ps3 will have to suffice), sotc, ico, last of us, uncharted etc

360 did have tales of vesperia and dead rising though 😍

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@omegamaster said:

PS1

PS2

PS3

PS4

That doesn't mean I am a Playstation fanboy though.

Yes it does. You're a cow live with it lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Master System

Megadrive

Saturn

Dreamcast

Xbox 360

Xbox One X

And soon to be Series X.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Estrowin

@i_p_daily: I’m a Sony fan and I’ve come to terms with that but other than the original 360 and Xbox one... Microsoft had put out some really quality hardware. Especially the Xbox one x which is one of my favorite consoles

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Estrowin

@i_p_daily:

Nice so your on OG sega fan? I feel like Sega passed the torch to Microsoft in a way. I mean sega is still very unique but Microsoft is the most like them in terms of game philosophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@hrt_rulz01 said:
  • Sega Master System/Gameboy Colour
  • PS1
  • Gamecube (Xbox very close behind)
  • PS3 by default (preferred 360 but RROD killed my love of Xbox for a while)
  • Xbox One/One X
  • Switch

You didn't own a Megadrive or Snes? did you go walkabout for that gen mate lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

@estrowin said:

@i_p_daily:

I mean sega is still very unique but Microsoft is the most like them in terms of game philosophy

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

PC

Stratego7766

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stratego7766
Member since 2021 • 45 Posts
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis & SNES (tied)
  • N64 (PS1 close 2nd)
  • Xbox (Gamecube close 2nd)
  • Xbox 360 (PS3 Fat original close 2nd)
  • Xbox One X
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#41 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@SOedipus said:

PC

This.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@estrowin said:

@i_p_daily:

Nice so your on OG sega fan? I feel like Sega passed the torch to Microsoft in a way. I mean sega is still very unique but Microsoft is the most like them in terms of game philosophy

Yes i am an OG Sega fan, had every system and around 1,500 games.

Not sure i follow you when you say Sega & MS have the same game philosophy though, you're gonna need to explain that one.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Estrowin

@i_p_daily: not the exact same, sega delivered quality single player games but both had a focus on online and multiplayer

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#44  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts
@estrowin said:

@i_p_daily: not the exact same, sega delivered quality single player games but both had a focus on online and multiplayer

If anything, modern Nintendo is closer to classic Sega in game philosophy. Ironically, ever since Sega's downfall, it seems like Nintendo have learned more heavily towards the arcade game design philosophy that Sega used to be known for. The only MS franchise I'd find comparable to classic Sega is the Forza franchise, since Sega were known for racing games back in the days. Particularly Forza Horizon, which is somewhat reminiscent of OutRun. But then again, OutRun is the grandaddy of modern arcade-style racers, so the same could be said for almost any modern arcade-style racer.

But when it comes to the hardware and service side of things, that's where MS could be considered Sega's successor. For example, the Xbox controllers succeeded the Sega controllers, Xbox Live succeeded SegaNet, the Xbox operating system succeeded the embedded Windows CE in the Dreamcast (though it didn't use CE much), etc.

Then there's the market side of things. Consoles were secondary to both of them, with Sega being more about arcades and MS more about PC. When it comes to consoles, neither won a generation, but had to play second/third fiddle to Sony/Nintendo, except for one generation where they came close to the top spot (Mega Drive/Genesis and Xbox 360). Their consoles were also way more successful in the West than in Japan (where Sega consoles were niche, except for the Saturn).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BassMan said:
@SOedipus said:

PC

This.

Quite down in the back herms, no one is talking about PC as it has no identity or generations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@estrowin said:

Huh? Sega doesn't really focus on MP, and MS does as it adds MP to just about all its games.

I find the comparison odd, Sega were all for gamers, MS is for gamers when it suites them like Sony, they do things to appear to be "consumer friendly" whereas Sega was all about the games & gamers.

The Dreamcast was the last truly great console, nowadays its all about tv, movies, Twitch etc, "multimedia" machines it what they are, even Nintendo is moving towards that shit.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Eoten

@Telekill said:

@eoten: Yeah, there's currently a boom of Game Gear resurgence in the retro gaming community. Tons of customization from different colored buttons and shells to printed pattern glass screens and of course all the modifications and replacement parts such as caps and even screws. Check etsy.com. I recently got myself a new set of button membranes and a Jellybelly Customs USB cable that safely ups the 5v of a USB outlet to 9v so you can play your Game Gear from anywhere that has a USB outlet. Works great.

I've considered doing some of these things, like a built in rechargeable battery pack, LES back light, better screen (significantly improving battery life getting rid of that CFL light). But when I really look at the Game Gear library it's all very uninspiring to me. It's almost entirely made up of lower quality versions than what the Genesis had. As Sega handhelds go, a Nomad is my holy grail.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@i_p_daily: Haha nah never owned them... although I played alot of SNES at my mates' house.