What should I write in my article about PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BogeyBogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BogeyBogey
Member since 2005 • 3330 Posts
I have to write a background story about the PS3 now that the european launch is coming up.
Should I write about the succes history of PS or about the flopping of PS3 itself?

ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
Writing about the PS3 "flopping" in an article at this time would be like publishing a complete history of the United States in 1799.
NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
It didn't flop. It revolutionized the way we change weapons.
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
[QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.

It wouldn't be "false" per se. It would categorize his article as an op-ed piece though.
BogeyBogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BogeyBogey
[QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.

18.000 PS3's sold in  Japan last week with a pricetag around 300 dollars isn't flopping?
Isn't this the console that would sell 5 million without games?

Of course my article will be objective. I don't live in systemwars you know.
The question is, what aspect should I focus on.
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts
I have to write a background story about the PS3 now that the european launch is coming up.
Should I write about the succes history of PS or about the flopping of PS3 itself?

BogeyBogey
If your serious, I would touch on what a "normal" console is and its sales strategy vs what Sony is doing with PS3. Thing like the mandatory $200 Blue Ray player--Discuss WHY Sony chose that risk (vs reward) that goes beyond the game business into the home movie market. Discuss why Sony uses proprietary equipment in all their electronics. Why it was a year late. Why Sony markets the PS3 as much as a "Media Center" as does as a game system. Basically, all the things (Good, Bad, and WTF?) unique to PS3.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
Write about the potential and the naysayers.

sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
[QUOTE="BogeyBogey"]I have to write a background story about the PS3 now that the european launch is coming up.

Tony_aaaa
If your serious, I would touch on what a "normal" console is and its sales strategy vs what Sony is doing with PS3. Thing like the mandatory $200 Blue Ray player--Discuss WHY Sony chose that risk (vs reward) that goes beyond the game business into the home movie market. Discuss why Sony uses proprietary equipment in all their electronics. Why it was a year late. Why Sony markets the PS3 as much as a "Media Center" as does as a game system. Basically, all the things (Good, Bad, and WTF?) unique to PS3.

You can't call PS3 a proprietary system. It does not force you to buy Sony branded hard drive, bluetooth, memory cards, wireless adapters....how is it proprietary? How would that make sense in a PS3 essay? Yeah, not much. [QUOTE="BogeyBogey"][QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.

18.000 PS3's sold in Japan last week with a pricetag around 300 dollars isn't flopping?

I doubt you will be objective but anyway......PS3 was only released in two regions.....compared to other consoles. European PS3 pre-orders have broken records.....I don't think you can call it a flop. [QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.

It wouldn't be "false" per se. It would categorize his article as an op-ed piece though.

Good point.....you're right.
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tony_aaaa
[QUOTE="Tony_aaaa"][QUOTE="BogeyBogey"]I have to write a background story about the PS3 now that the european launch is coming up.

sainraja

You can't call PS3 a proprietary system. It does not force you to buy Sony branded hard drive, bluetooth, memory cards, wireless adapters....how is it proprietary? How would that make sense in a PS3 essay? Yeah, not much.

Sony as a company nearly always requires SONY products. For example: Canon+Nikon digital cameras use industry standard Cf or SD cards---not "Canon memory stick" Sony is always doing this stuff---blue-ray on PS3 is another Sony "trojan horse" attempt to control the HD movie business.
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tony_aaaa
[QUOTE="sainraja"][QUOTE="Tony_aaaa"][QUOTE="BogeyBogey"]I have to write a background story about the PS3 now that the european launch is coming up.

Tony_aaaa

You can't call PS3 a proprietary system. It does not force you to buy Sony branded hard drive, bluetooth, memory cards, wireless adapters....how is it proprietary? How would that make sense in a PS3 essay? Yeah, not much.

Sony as a company nearly always requires SONY products. For example: Canon+Nikon digital cameras use industry standard Cf or SD cards---not "Canon memory stick" Sony is always doing this stuff---blue-ray on PS3 is another Sony "trojan horse" attempt to control the HD movie business.

No other company has used a game console to attempt a "take over" of a completely different market. I'd say that's worthy of inclusion, especially as that is the reason why PS3 is so expensive. Why are you so.....defensive? 
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
PS3 isn't flopping at all. Do some research and stop listening to the Lem's brainwashing
strateupfou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 strateupfou
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

It didn't flop. It revolutionized the way we change weapons.NECR0CHILD313

i lol'd

AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
 Remember to add this
BogeyBogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BogeyBogey
[QUOTE="Tony_aaaa"][QUOTE="BogeyBogey"]I have to write a background story about the PS3 now that the european launch is coming up.

sainraja

You can't call PS3 a proprietary system. It does not force you to buy Sony branded hard drive, bluetooth, memory cards, wireless adapters....how is it proprietary? How would that make sense in a PS3 essay? Yeah, not much. [QUOTE="BogeyBogey"][QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.

18.000 PS3's sold in Japan last week with a pricetag around 300 dollars isn't flopping?

I doubt you will be objective but anyway......PS3 was only released in two regions.....compared to other consoles. European PS3 pre-orders have broken records.....I don't think you can call it a flop. [QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.

Good point.....you're right.

Believe me, I can't afford not to be objective. You have to put things in perspective. It doesn't matter in how many regions it was released. What matters is how the situation in those regions is today. We are talking about the successor of the most successfull console of all time that can't live up to its expectations while a supposed to be dead company is steadily (or rapidly in short term) reclaiming the market. 
And please excuse me for using a common systemwars term like flopping.
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sdifjds
Member since 2003 • 1088 Posts
Present both sides of the story as fairly and accurately as you possibly can. However, since you described the PS3 as "flopping", I can tell thats probably out of the question. Just write the way you feel about it. If you're incredibly misinformed or blatantly biased it will show.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

Either- "Bluray pwns HDDVD, Sony is god, PS3 will reign king just like the PS2, $600 is cheap"

or "It sucks, It has flopped, PS is dead, Blu-ray is dead, its overpiced, Sony executives are moronic"

Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tony_aaaa

BogeyBogey
Bogey: If you re-read MY posts on your thread, I never used the term flop. However, discussing the PS3's "success" in other markets is most certainly related to price. Price that was made so much higher than the competition by including a drive that is of questionable console gaming use, but is extremely useful for winning a format war unrelated to gaming. Discussing the WHY of Sony's strategy is impossible without mentioning this tactic. If I sound like a "lemming," you're mistaken. I own EVERY console but PS3, going back to the 2600/intellivision days including 3 Sony systems.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

write THIS DH

http://ps3.ign.com/launchguide/
"Boasting 512 MB of RAM, a Blu-Ray disc drive, backwards compatibility, and the cutting edge Cell processor, PS3 is the most advanced game console ever created." - IGN

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49285075,00.htm
"So what are we missing out on? Well, as you can see in our recent video from the Best of Stuff show, titles such as Motor Storm offer an unprecedented level of graphical detail." - CRAVE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1942997,00.html
"[PS3]The extraordinary power of the new breed of computer game heralds the age of interpassivity" - GUARDIAN

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7107/983/
"[PS3]the most advanced gaming device money can buy" - ITWIRE

[urlhttp://www.gamespot.com/special_features/bestof2006/achievement/index.html?page=13[/url]
"The console is easily the most technologically sophisticated gaming machine this side of a tricked-out $4,500 PC rig." - GAMESPOT

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163625.html?tag=lastword;link
"The firm believes that the PS3 will ultimately carry the largest market share, with 75 million PS3s sold worldwide by 2010." - GAMESPOT

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7253/127/
"The company predicts that more than 120 million PS3s will be sold through 2012, compared to 60 million Xbox 360s and 23 million Nintendo Wiis. North America will account for more than 50 percent of all console sales over this period." - ITWIRE

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=43981&src=site-marq
Dublin-based Research and Markets claims that the latest version of Sony's games console will rack up 71 million sales, with the Xbox 360 selling around 40 million and the Wii coming third with around 31 million. - ITNEWS

its cuz of guys like you that the internet is folded on PS3 MINDLESS BASHING

Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts

Perhaps you should write concerning your unoriginality and lack of journalistic integrity. Or perhaps your inability to conduct high school level research... considering that the PS3 is the most successful launch of any Sony console so far.

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

Perhaps you should write concerning your unoriginality and lack of journalistic integrity. Or perhaps your inability to conduct high school level research... considering that the PS3 is the most successful launch of any Sony console so far.

Sgt_Hale

The PS2 launched with five hundred thousand units...Sony really set the bar high didn't they?
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sgt_Hale

[QUOTE="sainraja"]PlayStation 3 is not a flop. Writing an article that states so would be a false article, now what good is it to write something false? and how much credibility does that give you? None. Stop being a fanboy.BogeyBogey

18.000 PS3's sold in  Japan last week with a pricetag around 300 dollars isn't flopping?

Obviously you do live in system wars... because a system that has sold over 1.5M within 3 months in only 2 regions is HARDLY a flop. No other system has ever done that before this gen. The 360 did not do it. And the fact that the wii's lead will begin dwindling once the PS3 is released in all 3 regions, despite the tremendous price difference, is a testament to the Sony brand.

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts
Write about the PS1&2 having great exclusive games, and how the PS3 lost all but FF and MGS. Then about Wii60 ftw.
mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Writing about the PS3 "flopping" in an article at this time would be like publishing a complete history of the United States in 1799.ramey70

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Yeah definitely use terms like FTW everything else will arise organically from that. AAA paper on the way n00bins! As an earlier poster noted mentioning the real time weapon switching would be appopriate as well. This is still the most revolutionary aspect of the PS3 experience to date.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sgt_Hale
[QUOTE="Sgt_Hale"]

thirstychainsaw

The PS2 launched with five hundred thousand units...Sony really set the bar high didn't they?

Your post doesn't really make much sense? By your own statement... the PS2 launched with more units available than the PS3 and yet the PS3 has sold faster. So I guess you're right, Sony set the bar pretty high.
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts

BogeyBogey
You are asking in SW to make an article...??Regardless of the topic, its a stupid move