What RPG's are better than the Witcher 3?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

IYO what RPG's are better than the Witcher 3?

#2 Posted by RekonMeister (784 posts) -

Skyrim.

Fallout 3, NV & Brotherhood of Steel (OG XBOX)

#3 Posted by mumunaro (158 posts) -

Baldurs Gate 2.

All time favourite is Gothic (and it sequels.) Buggy as shit but drew me in like no other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#4 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

why is this place so obsessed with which games are better than which games. do you win a prize or something for liking one game more than another one?

#5 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5188 posts) -

@boycie:

Beats the other stupid arguments about graphics. At least they're talking about games actually being games.

#6 Posted by MirkoS77 (14460 posts) -

@boycie said:

why is this place so obsessed with which games are better than which games. do you win a prize or something for liking one game more than another one?

I see your post count, welcome to System Wars! It's ridiculous, but take it all in good fun.

OT:

I see the Witcher 3 hate boner continues. Which are better RPGs, imo:

• Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Baulder's Gate
  • FF VI
#7 Edited by Maroxad (15286 posts) -

Considering I probably wouldnt even boot up Witcher 3 even if I got it as a gift.

Most of those I tried. Of course, Witcher 3 might heavily surprise me. But chances are, I will play it once, put it down, never touch it again.

#8 Posted by TheEroica (18450 posts) -

Kotor for sure. It's the goat

#9 Posted by Sweetbackhair (2918 posts) -

None.

#10 Edited by TheEroica (18450 posts) -

@boycie: Ummm.... You do realize you're posting in a forum that exists based on, "this is better than that" at its soul... Right?

#11 Edited by ConanTheStoner (17373 posts) -

lol I'm not about to list dozens of games here, I'll just say that at least half the RPGs I've played were better.

Just narrowing it down to rpgs from 2015 I'd easily take Pillars or Bloodborne over TW3. I might even humor putting Xenoblade above it, but I really didn't spend enough time with that game.

The old Infinity Engine games, a good few FF games, the Soulsborne games, stuff like Chrono Trigger and Cross, FFT, PSIV... seriously man, this is too loaded of a question.

We all have our reasons for liking/disliking these games. For me to enjoy an RPG it needs to get one of two things right. Either have some actual good role playing elements, or have a fun battle system. TW3 has neither.

TW3 is far from the bottom of the stack, there are an innumerable amount of terrible RPGs out there. Given the relatively low bar for this genre, TW3 isn't bad. But the idea of even considering it top 10 in this genre just makes me cringe.

#12 Edited by worknow222 (1813 posts) -

I wouldnt say better but on par would be kotor 1 and 2. Mass effect series. and thats really all I can say in the RPG way of things

#13 Posted by jg4xchamp (61799 posts) -

lol, it wouldn't crack a top 10 wrpg for me, but it's fine. The actual game world would though, one of the more enjoyable setting in a video game ever. The mechanics are too sloppy for my liking though.

#14 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

MASS EFFECT TRILOGY

DRAGONS DOGMA DARK ARISEN

SOULS TRILOGY

DEMONS SOULS

BLOODBORNE

FINAL FANTASY VII

FINAL FANTASY X

#15 Posted by illmatic87 (17934 posts) -

@boycie said:

Looks like you havent been around here for long lol.

#16 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

I'll go with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic/Sith Lords on this one only because the story doesn't focus on the Empire era, it's set in 4000 years era when there were so many Siths in that era before The Rule of Two when it can only be two Siths but anyways, back then, Star Wars was flooded with Empire games, Bioware made the best Star Wars games that wasn't set in the Empire settings, they focus on the ancient history of the Jedi/Sith that made the game as awesome as any Star Wars game I played. I can say it's somewhat better then the Witcher 2 at least but if it comes to between Witcher 3 & Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, it's KoToR for me.

#17 Edited by commander (15378 posts) -

all of them

#18 Posted by thehig1 (7355 posts) -

I like the witcher 3, but have not completed it and stopped midway, I don't normally stop games midway.

I think

Final fantasy iv,v,vii,ix are better

Lost oddyessy

Skyrim

Mass effect series

Souls series

The witcher would make my top 10, but the lower end of that top 10

#19 Edited by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

I really enjoyed the Witcher 3, definitely one of the best rpg games I've ever played. I'm more into the world of Dragon Age however, and I prefer Dragon Age origins(I still haven't finished Inquisition but I love it) but it's really a personal preference. I'm not going to give a breakdown of the game....but just to say a few things about how I view rpg games.

For me, action-rpg , such as Zelda, Dark Souls....that is a different category of games than the traditional RPG from the past such as the Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior series. I view the "gameplay" component differently for these games. Final Fantasy 1 for instance, the gameplay consists of walking around the map and town and during battles it is turn based. But I consider the combat system, all the items, equipment, mechanics, etc. this is all part of the gameplay for me. The gameplay for me is not just when you select the cursor in the battle menu or how you walk around the map.

So Dragon Age is a little bit of a mix in that department, as you can directly control your character and attack enemies, just like the Witcher 3. And Unlike games like Zelda or even DArk Souls, there is a much deeper story and customization...therefore it's an RPG for me, not an action-RPG. DArk Souls has tons of customization, but the story and dialogue is so limited compared to the Witcher or Dragon Age.....so again, that is action-rpg for me.

So my assessment of the gameplay with games like Witcher 3 or Dragon age, it's not just about how I can control my character, but everything else such as the combat system how it works in terms of the equipment, skills , leveling up , etc.....to me that is part of the gameplay of an RPG game.

Anyways, the last thing is the story and lore....that plays a huge part in my enjoyment of rpg games, I get very immersed in the world. So Story and how fun the combat is, to me that is how I look at RPG games. I don't necessarily judge the gameplay the same way I would judge it in a Zelda or DArk Souls game, that's really the point I'm trying to make.

#20 Posted by thepclovingguy (2059 posts) -

I feel sorry for anyone thinks skyrim or fallout 4 is better than the witcher 3.

#21 Posted by Planeforger (18103 posts) -

Of the past 10 years? I can't really think of much. Maybe...Age of Decadence?

Loking at the classics though, obviously games like Planescape Torment are hard to top.

#22 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1321 posts) -

In my books, FF 6 or Diablo 2.

#23 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14957 posts) -

Recently, can't think of any. Classics? Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment perhaps.

#24 Posted by pyro1245 (5238 posts) -

I'll agree with that KoToR II

Dragon Age: Origins

#25 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10543 posts) -

Deus Ex and System Shock has better RPG elements and those games are lable as FPS.

#26 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition, Fallout New Vegas and 3, Tales of Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, VII, IX, X and XII, every Dragon Quest game, every Fire Emblem game, Bravely Default and Second, Mass Effect trilogy, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Paper Mario, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, Valkyria Chronicles, all the Mario & Luigi games, SMT Devil Survivor, Persona 3 & 4, Nocturne & IV, and a few others I can't think of right now.

#27 Posted by RekonMeister (784 posts) -

@thepclovingguy said:

I feel sorry for anyone thinks skyrim or fallout 4 is better than the witcher 3.

Not played it, so by default i feel sorry for your bias.

#29 Posted by Phazevariance (12334 posts) -

None, Witcher 3 for me is the pinnacle of RPG gaming. No overly complex item management, well thought out story, amazing graphics and world, well fleshed out characters, fully voice acted, decision making that affects both the story, outcome, and the world. With the exception of the combat being a tad meh, the entire game is top notch. No other RPG has felt that way to me, they always have some major flaw in them.

#31 Posted by PAL360 (29612 posts) -

The Witcher 3 is one of the best games i played in the last 3 decades, so not many if any at all. That said, games like KOTOR, Mass Effect 1 and The Elder Scrolls series are up there aswel.

#32 Posted by Jagoff (515 posts) -

Fallout: New Vegas. Then again it beats most modern RPGs.

#33 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

@rekonmeister said:

Skyrim.

Fallout 3, NV & Brotherhood of Steel (OG XBOX)

We need a facepalm picture bigger than the world for this post.

#34 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

None, Witcher 3 for me is the pinnacle of RPG gaming. No overly complex item management, well thought out story, amazing graphics and world, well fleshed out characters, fully voice acted, decision making that affects both the story, outcome, and the world. With the exception of the combat being a tad meh, the entire game is top notch. No other RPG has felt that way to me, they always have some major flaw in them.

I agree with you on everything except the combat part. The combat in this game is the best I've seen in an RPG except for Dark Souls games. No other RPG game(besides the Souls games) has been able to achieve a balance of difficulty minus the monotony that is most RPG combat in games(I'm excluding most FPS games in this, because well, that's much easier to pull off than a pure swordplay game). The best way to truly enjoy Witcher 3 combat is death march mode.

#35 Posted by Juub1990 (8717 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

For me to enjoy an RPG it needs to get one of two things right. Either have some actual good role playing elements, or have a fun battle system. TW3 has neither.

What about the lore/world build and characterization? TW3 is based on a book so it beats most games in these areas. Agreed the combat system and role-playing aspects really aren't good but the voice acting, rich story and immersive world have to count for something for you no?

And yes, people are crazy to call it a top 10 RPG. Didn't it win best RPG ever in the latest System Wars poll made by Chaz lol?

#36 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17373 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

What about the lore/world build and characterization? TW3 is based on a book so it beats most games in these areas. Agreed the combat system and role-playing aspects really aren't good but the voice acting, rich story and immersive world have to count for something for you no?

And yes, people are crazy to call it a top 10 RPG. Didn't it win best RPG ever in the latest System Wars poll made by Chaz lol?

Oh yeah, that stuff absolutely counts. I'd wager that's why most people love the game. I just can't move past the playability to enjoy it. That's actually what gets me so salty about the game lol. If I thought it just sucked all around it'd be no thing, plenty of games are like that. But the fact that TW3 has so much going for it, it really bums me out that the gameplay isn't up to par.

And yeah, SW polls lol.

#37 Posted by Snowywonders (115 posts) -

W3 set a new standard for open world RPG's. A standard that other AAA game developers have not reached, and by the looks of it, they won't reach it anytime in the near future. There is now open world RPG's before the W3, and open world RPG's after the W3. It will be a long time before another game surpasses it.

#38 Posted by with_teeth26 (9618 posts) -

from a purist RPG perspective, maybe Fallout New Vegas, Wasteland 2

the Witcher games have choice and consequence down but the character progression system feels closer to an action game than a RPG. You will pretty much always end up fighting with your two swords, some magic spells and some potions no matter how you use your skill points.

Overall, I don't think there are any RPGs in recent memory that are overall better than TW3.

#39 Posted by casharmy (9388 posts) -

Any RPG I could be bother to play for more than 3 hours?

lol in other words a lot! Sadly I've put more time in the shitty FFXIII before quit than I did for TW3, and I really didn't like FFXIII lol

#40 Posted by thepclovingguy (2059 posts) -

So you haven't even played the witcher 3, yet you call me bias even though I own all three games.

@rekonmeister said:
@thepclovingguy said:

#41 Edited by cainetao11 (36810 posts) -

I enjoyed the KOTOR games but nope. That weird pseudo turn based combat sucks.

Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1&;2 are up there with the Witcher 3 Imo. But it's tops now to me.

#42 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

@thepclovingguy said:

So you haven't even played the witcher 3, yet you call me bias even though I own all three games.

@rekonmeister said:
@thepclovingguy said:

Did you really expect anything else from this guy? I mean, look at his post history. Lol

#43 Posted by cainetao11 (36810 posts) -

@rekonmeister: Great call dude!! Totally forgot how fun Brotherhood of steel was on old Xbox ?

#44 Posted by cainetao11 (36810 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: Yeah I've never understood the complaints about the combat. Are people just going and taking contract that are same level or lower? I push myself and use traps, signs, oils the works. The finishes are bloody and gorey fun.

Another complaint is the movement of geralt. Well it is an analog stick. You don't have to push all the way and be running all the time. Get nimble with your fingers and adjust to it.

#45 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Yeah I've never understood the complaints about the combat. Are people just going and taking contract that are same level or lower? I push myself and use traps, signs, oils the works. The finishes are bloody and gorey fun.

Another complaint is the movement of geralt. Well it is an analog stick. You don't have to push all the way and be running all the time. Get nimble with your fingers and adjust to it.

I'm playing with a mouse and keyboard and I love the movement.

#46 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14957 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

I never understood the complain about Witcher's combat being just about hitting and rolling either. I really enjoyed the combat both in Witcher 2 and 3. It's fun to play with your enemies.

Wait for them and then counter attack when they hit you, or dodge their attack and then use two heavy attacks from behind and they will die. Or lure them into traps, use magic signs, or plant explosives and so on. I think most people who complain are used to just one style of combat, so they consider different design choice "bad gameplay".

#47 Posted by RekonMeister (784 posts) -

@thepclovingguy said:

@rekonmeister said:
@thepclovingguy said:

Check your first post in this thread. Stinks of bias.

I have TW1 , TW2, great games, i don't have TW3 yet as i have a back log, but until then, my games i listed remain the same.

#48 Posted by aigis (7354 posts) -

Persona 3/4

#49 Posted by Zaryia (9649 posts) -

Witcher 3 is amazing, but overrated. Really almost no differing playstyles and mostly a fluff skill tree, as far as RPG mechanics go. Also most of the lands seem too similar looking. Still amazing.

RPGS that I think are better:

Deus Ex 1, Kotor, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Age: Origins, Baldur's Gate II, Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and Morrowind.

#50 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Excellent game. One of my all-time favorites. Good choice.