what nintendo and xbox really lack

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@bowserjr123 said:
@Lightning_fan said:
@bowserjr123 said:

I do agree with a majority of your post, except where you mention that Sony's first party is better. Nintendo has the best first party bar none and I think they have a lot of variety (RPGs with Xenoblade, Mario and Luigi, Paper Mario; turn-based strategy with Fire Emblem and Advance Wars; platformers with Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario Land, etc; shooter with Star Fox, Metroid (somewhat), Splatoon; action-adventure with Zelda; racing with Mario Kart and F-Zero).

I hate to be that guy but Xenoblade is second party. Nintendo could not make a quality RPG if they had the formula spoon fed to them and their hand held. At-least not an RPG equal to the all-time greats like FFXIII

It's a franchise that is only on Nintendo systems and Nintendo encouraged Monolith Soft to follow through with the project so might as well consider it first party...without them, the series wouldn't exist today.

No, Nintendo owns Monolith Soft. It is first party. Every bit as much as Halo is or Uncharted is.

Indeed it is.

MasterNumemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By MasterNumemon
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

@tjandmia said:

If only Sony didn't have such a garbage controller with that abysmal battery life.

And a roach infestation to boot!

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@makoto_niijima: Agreed, a vast library of good games with tons of variety sells consoles.

Nintendo has a handful of good exclusives but in general their consoles as of late have lacked variety. Wii U's game library is among the worst for a Nintendo console.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

They do well cause they have big mature selling games. Just look at their top performing games. Variety means nothing, look at Vita.

Having those games obviously helps, but then you have a bunch of niche Japanese titles and cool indie games to fill out the library. There isn't a single Playstation console with a game library that lacks variety. Any gamer could find something to enjoy on a Playstation console.

Playstation is almost a default console of a choice for a general gamer.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

They do well cause they have big mature selling games. Just look at their top performing games. Variety means nothing, look at Vita.

Vita has no variety. This is from the person who probably owns the most Vita games in this forum.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@charizard1605: Well in the OP he mentions Xbox is struggling. And PS3 and Xbox 360 sold about the same.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Sony has always been about luring different types of gamers not only one type. M$ and Nintendo focus on their niche type of gamers which for M$ are bro gamers and for Nintendo more casual/Nintendo fans. Sony has always championed variety and that attracts a lot of different people to the console including from the groups that are attracted to M$ and Nintendo. Sony has build up its strength in diversity.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I might agree that Sony offers the most variety of the three consoles and that is why their console is the most popular one. MS just don't have many games, and Switch just got released and therefor don't have many games.

Not ignoring the PC, however, Sony's consoles are still pretty unecessary, except for the few exclusives. PC makes the fact that Sony might offer the most variety of the three consoles irrelevant for me, since PC does variety way, way better.

And I greatly prefer the exclusives Nintendo offers to what Sony does.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#59 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Litchie: Well said mate. If you want variety, PC is the way to go.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Litchie: Well said mate. If you want variety, PC is the way to go.

lol iandizion you ended this sock account's thread in one post...LOL

well done

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 iandizion713

@KBFloYd: You know how we do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#62  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@primorandomguy: idk I took it to mean that the Xbox brand and Nintendo brands as a whole have struggled to perform well worldwide consistently while Sony has (at least that's the only way the post makes sense to me).

I may be wrong, but that's what I got out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@dakur said:

Sony has always been about luring different types of gamers not only one type. M$ and Nintendo focus on their niche type of gamers which for M$ are bro gamers and for Nintendo more casual/Nintendo fans. Sony has always championed variety and that attracts a lot of different people to the console including from the groups that are attracted to M$ and Nintendo. Sony has build up its strength in diversity.

Yeah sure, that's why Sony buys the marketing rights for CoD, Star Wars, and Destiny. You're just over-generalizing again

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

No games don't make any sense for xbox. This all started when Scalebound got cancelled. The Playstation media and it Playstation fanbase started in on xbox.

Microsoft released Gears 4 in October, Forza Horizon September. Recore, October, Dead Rising November ( 2016) Sony on the otherhand had Last Guardian and No Man Sky. Where was the gaming media around then with no games memes, Sony is doomed?

We got Halo Wars 2 Feb. Dont Playstation fan's claim xbox only has Forza, Gears, Halo,

So why are they still saying no games When we got Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Cuphead, Seas of Thieves coming this year and waiting to hear about new games at E3?

Sony is selling more hardware, however they sold consoles to people who rarely play games on it or buy games. Sony gaming revenue and PSN subscriptions reveal the real story. And Sony only dominating Europe and Japan this gen. The United States and UK region Microsoft is competitive. If Europeans gamer's buy Scorpio Microsoft is back in the race.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Primorandomguy

@loe12k: I almost completely agree.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 loe12k

@dakur said:

Variety lol. No first party racing game in 3 years? No first party strategy game? Streetfighter? first party, not really? Killer Instinct was on xbox one at launch lots fighters constantly updatedby Microsoft. Shooter games Order 1886 no multiplayer bombed ratings same with killzone. Gears 4 and Halo 5 still great on xbox.

Sony has a lockdown on RPG type games and Japanese titles that's all i see.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 loe12k

@primorandomguy said:

@loe12k: I almost completely agree.

What part you disagree with?

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Primorandomguy

@loe12k: Just some of your underlining meanings your not vocalizing. I pretty much agree 95% though.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 loe12k

@primorandomguy said:

@loe12k: Just some of your underlining meanings your not vocalizing. I pretty much agree 95% though.

Ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@loe12k: Japanese titles is quite a broad description though because that can include fighting games, action games and stragegy games

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@makoto_niijima said:

Hi guys, i'm new here, but i've lurked for a while so i feel like i know you all well hahaha.

I knew somebody was stalking me !

@makoto_niijima said:

i've been wanting to discuss this for a while, but i think there is a reason that playstation is so consistently successful with each console where microsoft and nintendo struggle so much. i think the one thing that playstation has that xbox and nintendo doesn't have is variety. there is so much variety in playstation's lineup. it comes from the fact that so many third parties support them and not just the big aaa ones like xbox but also japanese ones. plus sony has a killer, big first party, its even bigger than nintendo's and though many say it's not as good as theirs, its got more variety and depth for sure and that matters.

Yeah I agree.

Especially if we look to say Xbox 360: all it had for exclusives were first person shooters, third person shooters and racing games.

We look to Wii U: a lot of 2D and 3D platformers

We look to Wii: mostly just motion sensor mini games.

Sony gets it right and supports their consoles with all manner of different games, new IP and different genres.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@makoto_niijima said:

Hi guys, i'm new here, but i've lurked for a while so i feel like i know you all well hahaha.

I knew somebody was stalking me !

@makoto_niijima said:

i've been wanting to discuss this for a while, but i think there is a reason that playstation is so consistently successful with each console where microsoft and nintendo struggle so much. i think the one thing that playstation has that xbox and nintendo doesn't have is variety. there is so much variety in playstation's lineup. it comes from the fact that so many third parties support them and not just the big aaa ones like xbox but also japanese ones. plus sony has a killer, big first party, its even bigger than nintendo's and though many say it's not as good as theirs, its got more variety and depth for sure and that matters.

Yeah I agree.

Especially if we look to say Xbox 360: all it had for exclusives were first person shooters, third person shooters and racing games.

We look to Wii U: a lot of 2D and 3D platformers

We look to Wii: mostly just motion sensor mini games.

Sony gets it right and supports their consoles with all manner of different games, new IP and different genres.

Son, I am disappoint since I know, you know better.

Top of the head.. Rare's Kameo, Viva 1 & 2, Banjo N&B all creative unique games the comp. has nothing like'em plus Jrpg's like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc. I should add, all now BC for X1. :D

Shooterzzz & Racing only mah azz. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Top of the head.. Rare's Kameo, Viva 1 & 2, Banjo N&B all creative unique games the comp. has nothing like'em plus Jrpg's like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc. I should add, all now BC for X1. :D

4 Gears of War games

4 Halo games

2 Forza games

2 Project Gotham Racing games

1 Kameo

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SecretPolice

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

4 Gears of War games

4 Halo games

2 Forza games

1 Kameo

And? That means those games I listed did not exist?

Phffft... Now even mooaar disappoint. :(

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By loe12k

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

4 Gears of War games

4 Halo games

2 Forza games

1 Kameo

Uncharted you got 3 games this gen. You got uncharted collection, that uncharted released in April 2016 and now a new uncharted game is coming out this year.

Sony even had the ball's to sell you guys a updated Last of US with just an resolution upgrade lol. You do realise they could have done that for free PS4 is more powerful?

Same GOD of WAR trilogy was not even a remake.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SecretPolice

@loe12k said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

4 Gears of War games

4 Halo games

2 Forza games

1 Kameo

Uncharted you got 3 games this gen. You got uncharted collection, that uncharted released in April 2016 and now a new uncharted game is coming out this year.

Sony even had the ball's to sell you guys a updated Last of US with just an resolution upgrade lol. You do realise they could have done that for free PS4 is more powerful?

Same GOD of WAR trilogy was not even a remake.

Don't leave Nintendont out,

Mario 25

Zelda 25

Pokémon 25

Mario Party 25

Mario " insert name here " 25

Etc. :P

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@davillain- said:

As I have said it in the past, what people failed to understand is the fact that Sony is the only company enough to take on rick when it comes to investing new IP games thus having more variety of games vs MS & even Nintendo themselves.

Sony has always been good at it and it shows as well.

True, and I agree w/ the OP's main point.

This kind of shows in their overall divisions. You see some risky, creative investments from their movie and music divisions. Don't get me wrong -- they're a business trying to make a profit same as Nintendo and Microsoft -- but you do see a pattern of independence from their studio partners.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Hmmm...

I don't own a PS4 but from an outsider looking in, there is a great amount of choice on the system. You have Western titles like Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn, but you also have fantastic Eastern titles such as Yakuza 0, Nier Automata and Bloodborne. Some of these are exclusive titles and others are multi-platform. There is always a choice to play and mostly a good amount of styles and variety available.

There is also plenty to play on Xbox One and certain genres like racing simulators that the system excels at but I do feel it's lacking in variety a little. I think the system is getting there. I'm happy to see titles like Cities Skyline, Sea of Thieves and Cuphead releasing this year which I feel helps but there is still a major lack of Eastern games for me which I really like on a console. That's okay though because the system is starting to stretch its legs into other areas and provide more in genres that I do like.

My biggest problem with Nintendo primarily comes in their home console offerings. I love the 3DS and it's got a great library of alternatives to the typical AAA design paradigms being produced by Western 3rd party publishers. The problem for me though is that this healthy library hasn't translated into their home consoles. You have the great first party exclusives but because the 3rd party support has been so lacking in the past, you don't get nearly enough games to play in between the first party goodness. If I had one wish for the Switch, it would be that it learns from the 3DS and builds a better and more frequent library of games. I don't mind that there is no Red Dead Redemption 2 or Injustice 2, but put something in its place. Secure titles like Monster Hunter or Professor Layton so I have something to play on the Switch instead.

Makoto_Niijima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Makoto_Niijima
Member since 2017 • 56 Posts

@primorandomguy: im talking about all of xbox and all of playstation sorry. i mean that sony sells lots of consoles worldwide with all their consoles but xbox and nintendo dont do that all the time they do it sometime but not all the time.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@iandizion713: Even if Sony did pull the plug on the PS Vita it's still a good system with plenty of great games. Even if it lost big in the portable console war at least it's in the war. Microsoft has no portability whatsoever, therefore that little $ will be divided between Sony and Nintendo. Y'all always slam the Vita when it's time to talk sales and how Sony is leading the current gen but that remains unchanged.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 iandizion713

@valgaav_219: No my friend, 3DS leads current gen. You know, that company called Nintendo gamers love to hate on so much.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Sony is well balanced as far as games go. You know there will be good exclusives and they won't miss out on third party games. It's a safe bet. Just like it's a safe bet on a Nintendo console you will get certain games from Nintendo.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

- Microsoft lacks compelling first party support and Japanese support.

- Nintendo lacks compelling third party support.

- PlayStation has all of those things.

- Playstation wins.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@Lightning_fan: so does the last of us , uncharted and killzone. This aint 2008 , you could tackle your opponent in many ways in Niohs pvp aswell. Oh and in street fighter online aswell lol smh

Nice try tho.