What Makes You Not Like A Game? For Instance Why Dont You Like Halo Or KZ3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

Im well aware that there is just some games that people dont like. Is you hatred for the game just blind fanboy hate or do you have a legitimate reason to not like the game?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I don't like games that try to be super realistic (especially shooters, "realistic" FPS games are a joke) or games that are so concerened with being cinematic that they forget to let you play.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
I did't like KZ2 because it was a class based shooter that didn't utilize the classes. Timers on revives, starting out with so much ammo, that ammo spots are pointless, snipers that had no team utility at all ect. I haven't played 3 because my buddies tell me not much has changed. It feels like the classes are simply perks called classes, and thats just not what I expected from the game. I expects a team based shooter, but got a frag fest.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

I don't like games that try to be super realistic (especially shooters, "realistic" FPS games are a joke) or games that are so concerened with being cinematic that they forget to let you play.

DarkLink77
same as, games are supposed to be escapism, thats why my fave games are sci-fi or fantasy and games rae there to be played not to watch, if you want to watch get a good movie
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
I recognize the superior production values, but shooters bore me, and online multiplayer makes me want to grind my teeth. I've seen enough first-person-shooters to last me a lifetime, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if developers stopped making them tomorrow.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

There are a lot of things that make me dislike a certain game.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

delta3074
same as, games are supposed to be escapism, thats why my fave games are sci-fi or fantasy and games rae there to be played not to watch, if you want to watch get a good movie

Pretty much how I feel, too. Though there are exceptions. I like Red Dead Redemption.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
it depends on a game by game basis really..cant really say more
StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts
Originality mainly. Its kinda lame when producers come out with the same stuff over and over again. And copying off of each other. But i think on system wars its mainly bias.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
KZ3 just felt like KZ2.5
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I don't like MGS4 for example because I hated the gameplay and the graphics were awful apart from the character models. Will never understand the 10/10 for that game, and I don't care how good the story is.
ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

I'm glad you asked, kind sir The main thing i dont like about halo is the art design. I can't stand the way Master Chief looks (on top of the fact that he is just a generic super-soldier one man army). He looks like a guy in a paintball mask. The aliens look stupid to me and everything is single colors (either completely red or blue or purple or whatever). Also, from what i've played of the campaigns and read (admittedly not enough to make a big judgement call) the story seems uninteresting. Although i wouldn't be opposed to reading up on it if anybody could convince me the story is actually good. But back to master chief, he is a real deal breaker for me...

What I DO like is the gameplay and music (especially the music!!).

Killzone 3 looks like a kind of cool gritty war shooter, just doesn't interest me enough to pick it up, especially with all the way cooler looking games out. If somebody handed me the game i'd probably give it a go. I never bought Killzone 2 because I hate hate HATED the controls, both the button layout and the input lag)

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Never played Halo, and KZ3 is ok.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

If I don't like the genre or game, I don't like it for specific reasons unique to each game.

Halo 2 was overall lackluster, Halo 3 was a disappointment, and Reach was melodramatic nonsense. Never played KZ series.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17879 Posts
a few game killers for me: 1) long cutcenes. hate em. these are games not movies. (ref MGS4, metroid other M) 2) games focusing on being cinematic way too much. (ref heavy rain) 3) grinding (ref MGS4....just kidding :P. games like everquest. i despise grinding). 4) luck based combat (ref infinite space). 5) repeating the same areas over and over again...though this is a bit tricky. in metroid prime it was fine imho..negotiating the world was fun. i really despised it in zelda PH though. 6) unkillable enemies that can trap and 1 hit kill you (spirit tracks. make a wrong turn and your done).
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
Because I really don't find them fun to play. I wish more shooters were fast paced and over the top like Bulletstorm.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

as a fan of KZ2, I was hoping there would be some kind of catharsis to 2's ending with the campaign of 3. 10 minutes into it, and the main character forgives Rico for being an idiot and says "forget about it". that's just poor. KZ3's multiplayer was for a completely different audience that cares more about racking up points and unlocks instead of a good strategic experience.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts
Because I really don't find them fun to play. I wish more shooters were fast paced and over the top like Bulletstorm. kage_53
Oh that's another one for me. I hate purposely cheesy garbage. It doesn't matter what it plays like, games like Bulletstorm and Bayonetta make me want to puke with the amount of cheesiness.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

I hate overly pretentious Scifi settings. LED's and lasers EVERYWHERE, 10-gillion races of humanoids, etc. It's just so far off from reality, I literally cannot relate to anything or anyone in them. The reason I like Killzone/Gears of War is because it's a future world based around concepts that we currently have, just with better tech.

Games like Halo and Mass Effect just don't do it for me most of the time.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
I normally dislike games because well, ya know, they aren't fun.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I don't like Halo, not really sure why it never got me hooked and i just stopped playing it, tried Reach and found it pretty good but still the setting isn't interesting, many will disagree but i prefer Resistance's setting far more, it's easy to connect with and be interested in.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I don't dislike Halo or KZ I don't like games that aren't fun or overly covered with fan services (or controversy) with no substance
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Pretty much how I feel, too. Though there are exceptions. I like Red Dead Redemption.

Ah, good. I was waiting for you to show off your taste in boring games :)

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

I don't like Killzone 3 because it's just a FAR, far worse version of Killzone 2. It's still a good game though, just so much worse than Killzone 2 it's not even funny :P

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well since I have pretty much every system this gen and most of the past gens there's no need for me to be fanboysinh. I tend to not like what I can't enjoy, simple as that.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

I hate overly pretentious Scifi settings. LED's and lasers EVERYWHERE, 10-gillion races of humanoids, etc. It's just so far off from reality, I literally cannot relate to anything or anyone in them. The reason I like Killzone/Gears of War is because it's a future world based around concepts that we currently have, just with better tech.

xYamatox

funny, 'cause I can't stand the bright LEDs on the factions in killzone and gears. :P

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I normally don't like a game if it's boring or a certain aspect really put me off it.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
Halo: guns sound too weak KZ2: horrible control, aiming
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I like Halo, it's fun, and I enjoyed my brief time with Killzone 3. What makes me not like a game is when it's not fun, or it tries too hard to be realistic, and sacrifices gameplay for it. (Red Dead Redemption, I'm looking- no- glaring at you.) So, basically, it needs to be consistently fun and entertaining for me to like it. There are some games I like some of the time, like CoD. It can be fun when you're on a killstreak, but, damn, it can be freaking obnoxious.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I dont like Call of Duty Black Ops because the game expects its players to be absolute idiots (and is designed with this expectation in mind)...

edit: ...and is right in most cases. :|

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

Cutscenes are generally what make me dislike a game the most. Many of them are terrible as pieces of filmmaking. Kotaku recently had an article discussing this. Beyond that, the more abundant they are, the more they remove the player from actually interacting with the game. There are some exceptions, though, where the writing is actually great, like the Uncharted series. That's about the only game series I can think of where I look forward to the next cutscene.

A lot of shooters anymore also have terrible placing. A constant state of anything, including intense gun fights, becomes boring. It's why 4 hour games can still feel like they could use some trimming. A game like Half-Life had great pacing by breaking up the firefights with puzzles, etc. It keeps the actual action exciting when you get to it, and there's plenty of other fun to be had in the campaign.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Of all the genre's I dislike shooters the most. To me the genre feels the same no matter what game you play. Once you played a good shooter, you've played them all. Especially this gen, it's riddled with shooters everywhere. Since that's where the cash is, many devs are trying to make their games appeal to that crowd.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I don't think that I could pick one specific thing and say "If a game does this I automatically hate it" I dislike different games for different reasons.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Atmosphere is a BIG thing for me. If a game has terrible atmosphere and environments in general than it will kill the game for me. Case in point... RE4 is one of my favourite games of all time and I think RE5 is only good. Even though they share the exact same gameplay.

Resident Evil 4 had an AMAZING atmosphere and Resident Evil 5 didn't.

I also hate turn based games, I do not want to sit there and wait for the enemy to attack.

Japanese/Anime style games make me wanna stick my head in the oven.

I dislike overly hard games (Demon's Souls) because I just want to enjoy the expierence and have fun, I do not consider something as slow, difficult as that to be fun.

I hate being stuck in one area for too long in a game. I want to constantly feel like I am moving forward and making progress.

Repetitive gameplay annoys me (Gears Of War) I like a mix of puzzles, shooting, fighting, platforming (Uncharted)

Fighting games in general are just crap in my opinion, no Street Fighter or Marvel Vs Capcom for me.

I prefer slightly more realistic driving mechanics (GTAIV) over those incredibly arcade driving mechanics (Saints Row)

That's all I can think of at the moment. But those are things that can push me to not like a game.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
If it's overly derivative, I don't like it. If it has tons of cinematic garbage, I don't like it. If the structure is bad, I don't like it. If there's a lot of inbalances in weapons or abilities, I don't like it. Yeah, that's all I got for now.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Very few shooters appeal to me.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Mordred19

funny, 'cause I can't stand the bright LEDs on the factions in killzone and gears. :P

It's on their armor, yes.I'm not talking about some lights here or there, I'm talking about not being able to take a !@#$ without the thing glowing blue. Look at any corner in Mass Effect, and you will see 4 or 5 things with lights glowing off of them. I can't stand that. Some goggles or a blue light coming out of someones back/shoulders isn't that big of a deal (although it does seem like a huge "SHOOT ME, I GLOW" sign).

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#38 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I dislike very few games. But I hate stupid ideas like no directions in Burnout Paradise or pretty much everything in Red Dead.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#39 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Biggest killer for a game enjoyment for me is poor controls. If the controls are poorly designed, downright broken, or just sloppy it seriously hurts my enjoyment of the game. Next is probably difficulty. Now I don't mind difficult if I'm expecting it. What I hate is when something is labelled easy and it is just slightly less mind numbingly hard. Another big enjoyment killer is being able to irrecoverably miss stuff on really long games. RPGs generally do this and it just sucks all the enjoyment out of it for me.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="delta3074"]same as, games are supposed to be escapism, thats why my fave games are sci-fi or fantasy and games rae there to be played not to watch, if you want to watch get a good movieSilverChimera

Ah, good. I was waiting for you to show off your taste in boring games :)

Don't worry, Silver, I'll never like as many boring games as you do. :)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I don't like games that don't try to set themselves apart from everyone else.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Reasons that i dont like certain games are related to quality, usually. I love Killzone games as well as Halo Reach. The other Halo games i dont care for.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

KZ3 just felt like KZ2.5MonsieurX

people would rather have Kz2.5 then what killzone 3 turned out to be

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

I can't really say, since I like 99% of all games :|.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

There's plenty of legit reasons. One of the biggest reasons I can dislike a game for me is when a game is poorly paced. It kills a lot of the fun in some games.

Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

I really don't play that many games that I don't like. Before I buya game I either do my research, or just like the idea so much I know I'm going to love it no matter what (Madden games, NBA 2K games).

Hasn't been a game that I haven't enjoyed playing this gen ever since I make my own money and am smart with my purchases.

I have this foreboding feeling that the Final Fantasy 13 in my backlog could change that. I love FF, but its hard not to ignore how much negativity is directed towards this game on here.