What makes Valve so special as a developer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sh00terMcGavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sh00terMcGavin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Honest question, not trying to troll. I've played most of the Valve games throughout the years and I never understood the hype. Good games, but I never felt they were as godly as people made them out to be. To those who admire Valve as a developer, what about their games do you admire the most?
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
hats
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
They were pioneers in game physics.
ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
hats princeofshapeir
/topic
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
  1. Not level 10
  2. The quality of game that Valve makes makes me admire them. Their games are those that not only are great when they first launch, but years down the road

___

Since this is a Valve thread I'll say their weakness as well: Valve does not make their own games. Every series, if I'm not mistaken, save for Half-Life, was originally built by someone other than Valve.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

1, Revolutionized story telling for FPS.

2. Saved pc gaming as we know it.

3. Saved and made modding popular.

4. Saved and made indie gaming popular.

5. Pretty much invented digitla distrabution.

6. Consistantly high quility with free support.

Fairly easy to explain, not much effect needed. You should have known this.

Sh00terMcGavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sh00terMcGavin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Not level 10The quality of game that Valve makes makes me admire them. Their games are those that not only are great when they first launch, but years down the road

___

Since this is a Valve thread I'll say their weakness as well: Valve does not make their own games. Every series, if I'm not mistaken, save for Half-Life, was originally built by someone other than Valve.

R3FURBISHED
Doh! Just noticed the rule about being level 10. Sorry about that mods, feel free to shut down the thread.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]Not level 10The quality of game that Valve makes makes me admire them. Their games are those that not only are great when they first launch, but years down the road

___

Sh00terMcGavin

Doh! Just noticed the rule about being level 10. Sorry about that mods, feel free to shut down the thread.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28967948/minimum-level-required-to-create-a-thread

Thats the reason I bring it up

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Hats are awesome.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Unlike a lot of developers they are not pressured to hurry up development by publishers that are owned by stock holders who want to see profit moreso than a quality game. This results in Valve taking their time to produce games. And most of the time this results in a high quality product.

There is difference between taking your time and slacking though, see DNF.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Their FPS games are unrivaled in the level of skill needed to master them. Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike in particular; even games like Left 4 Dead and Half Life still retain that amazing level of accuracy and precision. Amazing level design also helps. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They make good games

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
They are either among the best or the very best at the genres of games they focus in.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Gaben.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
it's not their game quality that makes people love them so much (though they do make fantastic games), it's their attitude towards their fans and towards the gaming industry.
Thaymez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thaymez
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

I don't know much about the dirty-deets, however the reasons I respect valve is the games Left for Dead and Dota 2.  Awsome games.  Super fun.  In the end though, just another gamer developer.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Because the one game they release every million years ends up being amaze balls. And hats.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
"It'll come out when it's done".
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Gabe Newell to keynote DICE 2013.

Edit:  Dammit someone got to it first.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Their FPS games are unrivaled in the level of skill needed to master them. Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike in particular; even games like Left 4 Dead and Half Life still retain that amazing level of accuracy and precision. Amazing level design also helps. 

cfisher2833

:lol: Whatever dude.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

cain006

He's not entirely wrong

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

lostrib

He's not entirely wrong

Yeah he is. Unrivaled in level of skill? That's just incorrect when there's games like Quake Live.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]:lol: Whatever dude.

cain006

He's not entirely wrong

Yeah he is. Unrivaled in level of skill? That's just incorrect when there's games like Quake Live.

They both require pretty much equal levels of skill and situational awareness.  I guess the only way to determine who is more skillful would be to have them compete

GuNsbl4ziN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GuNsbl4ziN
Member since 2010 • 285 Posts
Because I love Dota 2 so much!
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

He's not entirely wrong

lostrib

They both require pretty much equal levels of skill and situational awareness.  I guess the only way to determine who is more skillful would be to have them compete

I used to play Counter Strike semi-professionally back in high school, and I tried my hand at some Quake tournaments too.

Quake 3 / Live absolutely takes loads more skill than Counter Strike. Counter Strike is a solid runner up for competitive FPS.

TF2? TF2 does not take skill to play. I play TF2 to relive my glory days of gaming. I'm nowhere near as good at FPS as I used to be, but I can always hop into just about any TF2 game and absolutely own everyone. I have to play lobby games just to be stimulated, and those are pretty casual too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

Team Fortress 2 is a casual shooter, make no mistake. While it does the easy to learn hard to master gameplay perfectly, it is a casual game (note: this doesn't make it a bad game) it's arguebly along with Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm the best team shooter on the market.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]Yeah he is. Unrivaled in level of skill? That's just incorrect when there's games like Quake Live.

Big_Red_Button

I used to play Counter Strike semi-professionally back in high school, and I tried my hand at some Quake tournaments too.

Quake 3 / Live absolutely takes loads more skill than Counter Strike. Counter Strike is a solid runner up for competitive FPS.

TF2? TF2 does not take skill to play. I play TF2 to relive my glory days of gaming. I'm nowhere near as good at FPS as I used to be, but I can always hop into just about any TF2 game and absolutely own everyone. I have to play lobby games just to be stimulated, and those are pretty casual too.

I'm not saying competitive CS or TF2 require a level of skill equal to competitive Quake, but competitive TF2 does require skill. Playing on pubs isn't really going to expose you to TF2's competitive side.

There's no question it's more casual friendly than CS or Quake, but that doesn't mean the game has no skill ceiling or depth. 

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14503 Posts

Their games

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

They created the best game of all time.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Big_Red_Button

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

princeofshapeir

I'm not saying competitive CS or TF2 require a level of skill equal to competitive Quake, but competitive TF2 does require skill. Playing on pubs isn't really going to expose you to TF2's competitive side.

There's no question it's more casual friendly than CS or Quake, but that doesn't mean the game has no skill ceiling or depth. 

I don't play in pubs, I play competitive lobby games when I'm just looking to hop into something, and I have a good amount of experience with the core competitive TF2 community.

Maybe I was harsh saying that it doesn't take any skill at all; EVERY game takes some skill. It just doesn't take much.

SuperNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SuperNecro
Member since 2005 • 1423 Posts
I must be one of the few that don't like their games. Their FPS games all control the same. It's like I'm playing the same game with a new coat of paint. Boring and I don't understand their hype.
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Big_Red_Button

Valve is special because they know how to make fun games. It's really that simple.

There are loads of developers, many of whom are very successful, who don't have nearly as thorough a knowledge of what makes something "fun" as Valve.

Valve games have simple mechanics but deep gameplay. They can be challenging, but that challenge is always fair. They have lots of variety and never get too repetitive. They know how to make a game rewarding to play and they know how to dangle a carrot on a stick in front of your face in just the right way that makes you want to eat it.

Their games also have unbelievable art direction and polish. Every model, every sound, every visual fluorish, HUD element, and other artistic element of their games creates an experience with a unique personality.

Think about the sound design in Half-Life 2: If you played the game, you remember that "ploink" sound that the shotgun made as you loaded it. You remember the weak tingy sound of the pistol and the beefy blast of the magnum. You remember the sounds that health and energy stations made as you recharged your shield and health. You remember the unintelligable radio gibberish that Combine soldiers made and the shrieks of zombies.

Many developers ignore things like those basic sound effects, but Valve works to make sure that every single thing in their games is as good as it can be. It isn't about having the most polygons or the furthest draw distance, it's about having the best art.

Valve makes games that casual and hardcore players alike can both get quite a lot out of. There is no other developer who does that as well as they do.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Big_Red_Button

I must be one of the few that don't like their games. Their FPS games all control the same. It's like I'm playing the same game with a new coat of paint. Boring and I don't understand their hype. SuperNecro

Are you kidding me? Are you drunk?

Their FPS games all control the same.

I agree with this statement; most of their games have similar movement mechanics, due largely to them being on the same engine.

But EVERYTHING else about the games is different.

You can't seriously be saying that Portal plays the same as Half-Life, or that Left 4 Dead plays the same as Counter-Strike? You can't seriously argue that any of those four franchises play much like any of the other ones.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

3 things.

- Gabe Newell!
- The games
- Steam

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

Valve's greatest weapon as a developer is 2-sided. On one hand, they are a company that has infinite resources thanks to Steam and its constant revenue stream. Because of that, Valve can work and iterate on game design until they have the right design for an unforgettable experience.

However, that strength I just listed is something that Blizzard had/has as well. The 2nd factor, and the one that has made Valve be continuously relevant and modern whereas Blizzard is seemingly stuck in place, is that Valve runs to and embraces new ideas, whether it be for game design or business/distribution models.

Few companies have been as experimental as Valve, and its been nothing but beneficial to gamers. Blizzard can't say the same.

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

tagyhag
In case you don't know. The picture is looking at you from where ever you look at it....even if you aren't even looking.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

They are incredibly overhyped and the magnitude of their fanboyism is mind boggling. Especially consider the high amount of stealing they do of others ideas.

Valve make solid games, I like a lot of their games. I loved half life because it was such a new experince and the scripted sequences were cool in its day, portal and portal 2 were really well done games. I dont hate the company.

But lets face it, valve brands a lot of other peoples games as their own and makes others ideas seem like they did it all.

Left 4 dead was created by turtle rock studios.

Portal was created by digipen institute of technology.

DOTA2, alien swarm, death match classic, riccochet, day of defeat, team fortress, and counter strike were all mods created by users and later absorbed by valves services.

Half life blue shift and opposing force were made by gearbox.

Just in general they dont create very much at all and when they do its just just a sequel. The rest is them just rebranding someone elses work, generallly they just reuse others mods ideas.

Far as half life I do like the games but they arent really that great because they are just showcase games. The game just leads you from physics puzzle to the next with shooting gallery moments in between. It looks great, plays great, sounds great but they really arent that mind boggling, the games are entirely just a series of sequenced moments.

Steam was a great way to bring digital content out but the software still isnt very great, prices on any game that also have a retail version generally suck in comparrison, and its still DRM.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
They are holding HL3 prisoner sick bastards
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

they publish their own games = no ridicilous development deadlines = better games

wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiiutroll
Member since 2013 • 543 Posts

hats princeofshapeir

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

They are incredibly overhyped and the magnitude of their fanboyism is mind boggling. Especially consider the high amount of stealing they do of others ideas.

Valve make solid games, I like a lot of their games. I loved half life because it was such a new experince and the scripted sequences were cool in its day, portal and portal 2 were really well done games. I dont hate the company.

But lets face it, valve brands a lot of other peoples games as their own and makes others ideas seem like they did it all.

Left 4 dead was created by turtle rock studios.

Portal was created by digipen institute of technology.

DOTA2, alien swarm, death match classic, riccochet, day of defeat, team fortress, and counter strike were all mods created by users and later absorbed by valves services.

Half life blue shift and opposing force were made by gearbox.

Just in general they dont create very much at all and when they do its just just a sequel. The rest is them just rebranding someone elses work, generallly they just reuse others mods ideas.

Far as half life I do like the games but they arent really that great because they are just showcase games. The game just leads you from physics puzzle to the next with shooting gallery moments in between. It looks great, plays great, sounds great but they really arent that mind boggling, the games are entirely just a series of sequenced moments.

Steam was a great way to bring digital content out but the software still isnt very great, prices on any game that also have a retail version generally suck in comparrison, and its still DRM.

Gargus

How is it stealing when they hire the creators of those games. If anything they gave an oppurtunity to those people.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

3 reasons: Source engine, Half-life and Counter-Strike.

(and also Portal, Left 4 Dead and Day of Defeat, but those aren't as important as the above)

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

Hammer Editor.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

High levels of polish, innovation, and they're great at telling stories in-game. They're also industry leaders in digital distribution, so their contributions to the industry as a whole go well beyond their own game development.

They're also very in-touch with the community, encouraging and supporting player-made content and mods.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

They actually use the advantage of the medium when telling their game stories; interactivity. That's their #1 quality, and it's something many devs admire. They don't make shooting galleries followed by cutscenes like many other devs do.

When you play their lineup of single player games every bit of the story is told through your own interaction. Who you choose to listen to, what you choose to look at, where you choose to be at any given moment. It all plays a role in how you experience the game. It's not just a bunch of cut scenes with shooting galleries in between them.

Play through the Half Life series and actually take the time to listen to what the scientists say, look at objects you find on desks, read what is scratched onto the walls, listen to the people of City 17, and watch how they act. It'll make the experience so much greater than if you just run through shooting aliens and soldiers as fast as you can.

Beyond their single player lineup they have one of the greatest lineups of multiplayer games on the market. Dota 2, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Garry's Mod, L4D, Day of Defeat.

And along with their games they've been HUGELY responsible for the resurgence of PC gaming with Steam. There was a point prior to Steam when consumer spending on PC gaming was declining rapidly year over year, and hit it's lowest in I believe 2006. With Steam, and now the help of other vendors, consumer spending on PC gaming is rivaling the entire console market by itself. Steam has done a lot to gain favor for Valve.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

uninspiredcup

They didn't invent DD, it was around long before they just were the firsts to really start it with the game industry

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

savagetwinkie

They didn't invent DD, it was around long before they just were the firsts to really start it with the game industry

Don't try to talk to him. He's probably one of Jankarcop's/SNIPER's alts.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cain006

They actually use the advantage of the medium when telling their game stories; interactivity. That's their #1 quality, and it's something many devs admire. They don't make shooting galleries followed by cutscenes like many other devs do.

When you play their lineup of single player games every bit of the story is told through your own interaction. Who you choose to listen to, what you choose to look at, where you choose to be at any given moment. It all plays a role in how you experience the game. It's not just a bunch of cut scenes with shooting galleries in between them.

Play through the Half Life series and actually take the time to listen to what the scientists say, look at objects you find on desks, read what is scratched onto the walls, listen to the people of City 17, and watch how they act. It'll make the experience so much greater than if you just run through shooting aliens and soldiers as fast as you can.

Beyond their single player lineup they have one of the greatest lineups of multiplayer games on the market. Dota 2, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Garry's Mod, L4D, Day of Defeat.

And along with their games they've been HUGELY responsible for the resurgence of PC gaming with Steam. There was a point prior to Steam when consumer spending on PC gaming was declining rapidly year over year, and hit it's lowest in I believe 2006. With Steam, and now the help of other vendors, consumer spending on PC gaming is rivaling the entire console market by itself. Steam has done a lot to gain favor for Valve.

treedoor

Uh Half Life 2 does have cutscenes. You're forced to wait and listen to people. Just because you can move around doesn't make it not a cutscene. And lots of games have stuff on the walls and cool stuff to look for.

And the "interactivity" in the HL games is just good atmosphere. Lots of games have that.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

zero idea, I like portal, but find HL to be mehÂ