What makes Gametrailers' reviews so much more appealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

1) This is not a damage controll thread, if anything I am a Hermit or Sheep as they are the only things I directly own, with a 360 and PS3 in direct play distance.

2) I just had to share this with people, because you all need to see this.

Seriously, when I read the reviews for Uncharted and Mass Effect [from Gamespot], I just wasn't "wow'ed" enough to even care, after all I don't own either system to play them on. In fact, they both kind of soured my stomache into not wanting to play. Then I went on gametrailers and watched these:

Mass Effect Review

Uncharted Review

Those two video reviews actually had me WANTING to play both of these games, so much that I'm going to suggest that each person that owns the consoles next to me go actually buy these games (mostly so I can play them, lol). But in the end, I was wondering something. Why is it that Gamespot's reviews don't get me as excited about games in general as GT's do? I've always assume that it was just the fact that the videos for the Gametrailers reviews are just plain put together better, but is that really it? Maybe when a review is in text form you just focus on the negatives more or something.

So just curious, what does everyone else think? Obviously GT's reviews will never "count" here (and I couldn't care less about that), but don't they seem to be of a little bit better quality (or at least look more on the bright side of things) then the recent Gamespot reviews?

P.S. Gametrailers Rock Band review almost makes me want to shell out the money to buy it ... almost.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

Because they tell the fanboys exactly what they want to hear. They don't give negative reviews to big titles. Ever.

That's how you keep the fans happy. But is it objective and honest journalism, or an advertisement? Thats the question...

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
Two things I love about Gametrailers. They always try to look on the bright side, even if it's a flaw they are talking about. The video matches what the reviewer is saying, so you actually see whats to amazing about the game your probably going to get.
sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

I dont like these new reviewers.... their opinions on games are very mellow dramatic they almost show no emotion's when review the game... its almost like someone is standing by them with a match and can of gasoline.

loky4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 loky4000
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts

I think Gametrailers have better reviews in general then most other sites, atleast I disagree with Aaron Thompson (sp?) on some of his reviews because he's reviews are unbalanced and rather dull. Not saying GS is a bad place to go for reviews, its just that some games like R&C, Uncharted etc are being underrated and that the reviewes differ from each other quite a bit (for example if A.T. reviewed Gears of War for the 360 I doubt the score would be as high as it is etc.)

Short answer : GT reviews tell me the good and bad things about a game and show use examples etc. where as some GS reviews (Heavenly Sword) are mostly praise and big issues like game lenght is are hardly heard.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

Short answer : GT reviews tell me the good and bad things about a game and show use examples etc. where as some GS reviews (Heavenly Sword) are mostly praise and big issues like game lenght is are hardly heard.

loky4000

What are you talking about. GS has that right there on their Bad summary points " So short it can be finished in an afternoon"

Again....what are you talking about?