What is your number 1 favorite game of all time? And has a game come close to dethroning it?

• 134 results
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: will you knock it off? How old are you? You see IP get told off and think "hold my beer"

He had it coming. Dude is basically my stalker lol.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#102 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Crysis 1 or Skyrim for a more console like game.

Some old MMO if we're counting all platforms.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#103 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It's still A Link to the Past even though it has been surpassed by some of the later games and other games similar to it. Metroid Prime and FFIX also hold a special place in my collection. Still, there have been amazing games that have come out in the last 4 years.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I can’t choose between OOT or Chrono Trigger.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

Don't know if I have a favorite game but what I do know is that the SNES is the greatest system of all time. Too many hit games to ignore that include Super Mario, Zelda LTTP, Actraiser, Super Castlevania IV, Street Fighter 2, Soulblazer, F-Zero, Contra 3 Alian Wars, I could go on and on really.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

Wish I had one. There's just too many that get my love :D

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38793 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@hardwenzen: You're the ghost of linear rpg games 🤣🤣🤣

How would you know, you haven't played anything other than Forza and that welfare souls game Remant.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@xantufrog said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: will you knock it off? How old are you? You see IP get told off and think "hold my beer"

He had it coming. Dude is basically my stalker lol.

So me & hardwenzen were trolling each other and YOU said something about me without provocation, and yet i'm the stalker LOL.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

This is the question I can never answer. Not even sure I could do top 10's in most genres unless they were in no particular order and even then... yeah, no.. lol. There are so many games I love in so many different genres.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

My favourite game had always been Half-Life 2, but then BioShock came along and I find them very hard to seperate. I love them both.

But now more recently, Super Mario Odyssey has joined the party and is up there with them. My answer changes between all 3 now depending on the day.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

My favourite game had always been Half-Life 2, but then BioShock came along and I find them very hard to seperate. I love them both.

But now more recently, Super Mario Odyssey has joined the party and is up there with them. My answer changes between all 3 now depending on the day.

Half-Life 2 did not dethrone Half-Life 1 for me.

Loading Video...

The first game was epic 3 way fight you had marines coming in you had aliens and monsters and they were all fighting each other with Gordon in the middle of it all going down.

HL2 was just a stupid gravity gun a little better graphics a motor boat and a buggie that was it literal trash compared to half-life 1 why are people listing over the classic 1st one.

Gordon pushes that experiment in he goes on a train cart to work into underground lab in half-life 1 its way more epic dude what are you doing.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

@louixiii said:

Lol, nothing that came close to being number 1?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Freedom Fighters or Shadow of Rome.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

For me it's a tie between Metroid Prime (GC) and Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64).

OOT made a huuuuge splash in the gaming industry when it got released. The gameplay, the setting, the world, the dungeons, the puzzles, the story, the soundtrack, etc everything in that game was a masterpiece. Zelda has never reached those heights again and even though TP, MM, WW, SS, BoTW are all great games, they didn't make the same impact (for me) as OOT. Even now, OOT is still as enjoyable and as good as recent masterpieces released on newer consoles.

Metroid Prime. Wow that game was a huge EPIC out of the blue kind of surprise that everyone was shocked when it first came out. All we knew about that game were small details and we saw little gameplay and I remember when it was released and GS scoring it a 9.7/10 everyone was like "WHAAAT?!". I do not think anyone was expecting a masterpiece from this game especially that it was developed by Retro Studios who most people didn't know what to think of. Game had everything that made Metroid iconic (Metroid is the Godfather of all Metrovanias we play and love now) turned into an EPIC 3D world that is out of our minds imaginations!! Atmosphere in that game is like no other, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, the bosses!!, the puzzles!! everything in that game was absolutely AMAZING.

Honorable mention: Metal Gear Solid 1. That game was and still is my favorite MGS game in the series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Half-Life 2 did not dethrone Half-Life 1 for me.

Loading Video...

The first game was epic 3 way fight you had marines coming in you had aliens and monsters and they were all fighting each other with Gordon in the middle of it all going down.

HL2 was just a stupid gravity gun a little better graphics a motor boat and a buggie that was it literal trash compared to half-life 1 why are people listing over the classic 1st one.

Gordon pushes that experiment in he goes on a train cart to work into underground lab in half-life 1 its way more epic dude what are you doing.

Personally say Halflife 2 did improve over Halflife in a couple of regards. The AI is better, it removed some ill-thought out platforming sequences, theirs more variety to the gameplay and environments and it's final section doesn't suck ass.

It's episodes further improved upon it. Namely Halflife 2's weak combat sequences closer to the intensity of the original game.

Alyx especially, top notch gunplay leagues ahead of other entries, bogged down by a bizarre lack of interest in giving the player combat sequences and deliberately stupefied AI for VR newcomers.

Fails in others. The squad command system later in the game is very gimmicky compared to Halflife, like it presents itself as Rainbow 6 shit, but all you are really doing is just pressing "E". The gun-combat as mentioned comparatively boring with the AI, while actually better, feeling very milk and toast in practice.

While it also has more variety it also has a bad habit of repeating the same sequence over and over, namely gun-ships. It should have really only been relegated to A) and introduction fight and B) fighting 2 at the same time at Nova Prospekt.

They try to mix it up, but it is repetitive, especially on repeated playthroughs.

Halflife, 1 get helicopter twice. Doesn't blow it load. Makes the sequences more impactful.

Likewise the battle with the Hunter Chopper, big build up to a crescendo where getting chased by it for quarter of the game, leagues better than pew pew rocket 3-4 times, over and over.

-

One thing Halflife really, really still excels at, is scripted story-telling.

We live in an age where we get fucking lazy, cinematic walking. Or scripted QTE thanks to Resident Evil 4 (an obviously much lesser game) and other nonsense.

Halflife 2 and sequent games have a bad habit of locking the door behind the player and forcing them to sit through dialogue. Compared to Halflife, it feels far more artificial.

To be one of the first FPS to extensively use scripted sequences and have it all feel so seamless and nature if incwedeebles. The first time play that shit in 1998 you can literally feel something has changed in gaming.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#116  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Not an easy choice. Between games like Super Castlevania 4, Streets of Rage 2, Halo CE, Mass Effect 1, The Witcher 3, etc, i have played hundreds of masterpieces through the last decades.

If ihad to pick just one, it would probably be Dreams. I already have thousands of hours on it. It's one of the most impressive and addicting pieces of software i have ever used.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 LouiXIII

@SolidGame_basic said:
@louixiii said:

Alright...upon careful consideration my FAVORITE game of all time is [drum roll please].................................Super Smash Bros. Melee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[And the crowd goes wild]

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@uninspiredcup: in half-life 1 you went to the top of the underground facility into an office and 20 marines went up the stairs to kill you it had INSANE ai those marines were built to kill gordon how dare you say the ai wasn't good.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Super Mario Bros. 3 was my all-time favorite until Resident Evil 4 on GameCube in 2005.

Then Super Mario Galaxy 2 took the top spot in 2010.

Then Breath of the Wild became number one in 2017.

So my favorite game ever has only changed thrice.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3051 Posts

It might be easier to go by genre, at least for me. These games haven't been topped in their category.

ARPG - Diablo 2

Arcade - Galaga

FPS Multiplayer - Halo CE (og, not pc)

RTS - Starcraft

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

@louixiii said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@louixiii said:

Alright...upon careful consideration my FAVORITE game of all time is [drum roll please].................................Super Smash Bros. Melee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, this song popped into my head as I read your post. Woop woop!

Loading Video...

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
@Jag85 said:

Final Fantasy VII. Nothing else to date has been able to match the experience of playing FFVII for the first time back in 1997. I had no interest in RPGs up until FFVII came along and opened my eyes to an entire genre of games. RPGs became my favourite genre over the next decade or so, before I eventually grew tired of RPGs over the last decade.

I also didn't care about things like environmentalism or climate change either until FFVII came along. And my favourite twist in a game to date is the Zack twist, which anticipated the type of psychological twists we started seeing in movies like Fight Club, Sixth Sense and Memento a few years later.

@darktruth007 said:

FF7 was unparalleled for its time. It was an insanely imaginative RPG with jaw dropping cutscenes, awesome characters and a huge variety of monsters and summons in the game. It was pretty much the first RPG to contain such fully realized production values and look this good. With a stellar story it still holds up well even today.

Agreed. I don't think there was a better feeling than playing FF7 in 1997. The graphics, cutscenes, new genre, open world map, plot twist, materia system. The game is so memorable in terms of characters and cities (show a fan a picture of cosmo canyon, midgar, rocket town, goldern saucer, or junon and they will immediately get instant flashbacks)

I've never seen a game 20+ years after release get talked about so much, I mean hell for almost a decade all we heard about where people begging for a remake.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#124 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@mastershake575 said:
@Jag85 said:

Final Fantasy VII. Nothing else to date has been able to match the experience of playing FFVII for the first time back in 1997. I had no interest in RPGs up until FFVII came along and opened my eyes to an entire genre of games. RPGs became my favourite genre over the next decade or so, before I eventually grew tired of RPGs over the last decade.

I also didn't care about things like environmentalism or climate change either until FFVII came along. And my favourite twist in a game to date is the Zack twist, which anticipated the type of psychological twists we started seeing in movies like Fight Club, Sixth Sense and Memento a few years later.

@darktruth007 said:

FF7 was unparalleled for its time. It was an insanely imaginative RPG with jaw dropping cutscenes, awesome characters and a huge variety of monsters and summons in the game. It was pretty much the first RPG to contain such fully realized production values and look this good. With a stellar story it still holds up well even today.

Agreed. I don't think there was a better feeling than playing FF7 in 1997. The graphics, cutscenes, new genre, open world map, plot twist, materia system. The game is so memorable in terms of characters and cities (show a fan a picture of cosmo canyon, midgar, rocket town, goldern saucer, or junon and they will immediately get instant flashbacks)

I've never seen a game 20+ years after release get talked about so much, I mean hell for almost a decade all we heard about where people begging for a remake.

Most people I've spoken to who say FFVII is the best in the series never really played VI. I played both a few months ago, to completion to see the differences looking back and I found VI to be much more replayable than VII. First thing, 2D graphics age a lot better than first gen 3D graphics do. But, I used a bunch of mods to greatly improve the graphics, high res textures, better more modern recordings of the audio and the game looked great, and played great, but the story is what actually dragged it down. Once you know the big secret of FFVII, the shock value is gone, and you just don't care about that event. And that's the foundation for the entire story after that point, which collapses once you know what happens.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ProtossRushX said:

@uninspiredcup: in half-life 1 you went to the top of the underground facility into an office and 20 marines went up the stairs to kill you it had INSANE ai those marines were built to kill gordon how dare you say the ai wasn't good.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Halflifes firefights are more engaging due to speed and damage output, but its AI definitely isn't as good as Halflife 2.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
@eoten said:

Most people I've spoken to who say FFVII is the best in the series never really played VI. I played both a few months ago, to completion to see the differences looking back and I found VI to be much more replayable than VII. First thing, 2D graphics age a lot better than first gen 3D graphics do. But, I used a bunch of mods to greatly improve the graphics, high res textures, better more modern recordings of the audio and the game looked great, and played great, but the story is what actually dragged it down. Once you know the big secret of FFVII, the shock value is gone, and you just don't care about that event. And that's the foundation for the entire story after that point, which collapses once you know what happens.

No most people I have encountered have played both. Your confusing which one you think is objectively better as the same as which one is your favorite which have no reflection on each other (Acura TL was nicer than my Accord but my favorite car was still the Accord).

The topic is which one is your personal favorite. IV being a better overall game/aging better has absolutely no reflection on which is your favorite. Favorite includes too many variables that don't show up on a review sheet or a breakdown

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#127 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

It depends on my mood really.

If I had to choose, i'd probably go with The Witcher 3. Just an amazing world with so many great characters, quests and moments.

before that, it was Mafia

RDR2 came close to dethroning W3 but I dont think it quite managed it since the firefights get pretty damn repetitive but its still such an impressive open world and one of the best stories in gaming.

Honourable mentions:

Deus Ex, Company of Heroes, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, Mass Effect 1, Shogun 2 Total War, Elder Scrolls III Morrowind, Half-Life 2

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By uninspiredcup

@with_teeth26 said:

It depends on my mood really.

If I had to choose, i'd probably go with The Witcher 3. Just an amazing world with so many great characters, quests and moments.

before that, it was Mafia

RDR2 came close to dethroning W3 but I dont think it quite managed it since the firefights get pretty damn repetitive but its still such an impressive open world and one of the best stories in gaming.

Honourable mentions:

Deus Ex, Company of Heroes, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, Mass Effect 1, Shogun 2 Total War, Elder Scrolls III Morrowind, Half-Life 2

Yea, def be up there.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#129 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

@eoten: I played both. I played FF7 in late 1997, and then played through FF 1-6 during 1998-1999 (via PC emulation). As much as I enjoyed FF6, I still didn't enjoy it as much as FF7. In terms of gameplay, the FF7 Materia system was deeper and allows a larger amount of customization, comparable to the deep FF5 Job system, than the relatively more limited FF6 Magicite system.

In terms of story, FF7 has a more focused smaller cast of characters, a more modern cyberpunk setting, themes involving climate change and psychological disorders, and more surprising plot twists. Not one big surprise (the Aerith one everyone knows about by now), but an even bigger surprise later on (the Zack one, which came two years before the Fight Club movie). While the FF6 Kefka twist was also a big surprise, the FF7 Zack twist had a bigger shock value for me. It made me play through FF7 again to see the plot unfold from a new angle.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 LouiXIII

@SolidGame_basic said:
@louixiii said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@louixiii said:

Lol, this song popped into my head as I read your post. Woop woop!

Loading Video...

OMGosh you're a nut!!! And I mean that in a good way xD

Choo Chooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4364 Posts

bf3 might finale dethrone log hours of my mw2 days.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 5

#132 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 359 Posts

It's been Resident Evil 4 for the longest time, and I don't know if that'll change. Several games that have come really close though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6085a0bd46474
deactivated-6085a0bd46474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#133 deactivated-6085a0bd46474
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

1-Dark Ages of Temuair

2-Starcraft

3-Unreal Tournament

4-Starcraft 2

5-Diablo 2

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Yakuza 0 for me amazing story. Kiwami 2 comes close.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#135  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

When I see this question there's too many games that pop to mind, but if I were to ask myself, "What is the one game that I continually find myself installing and replaying, and have been for many years? What's earned a permanent spot on my desktop?".

I'd have to give that one to STALKER. Which probably wouldn't qualify as a legitimate answer to this question, as it's only with mods that I play these games (Anomaly + add-ons, to be specific), which is an amalgamation of various games in the franchise with various tweaks and not an official product. And no, nothing can beat it, I doubt even its upcoming long-awaited sequel will come close. It is a formula of systemic emergence that always provides and never fatigues, it is brilliant, and is a longstanding testament to a fundamental exemplary core game design philosophy that mods have only brought out to its fullest potential, but that has existed from the get-go.

If I had to choose a game released vanilla that's my favorite, eh....I'm pretty hard pressed to say. Perhaps Tetris DX or Galak-Z, two games I make a point of installing on my rig after I do a fresh OS reinstall. Not to say they're objectively the best (though I think an argument for Tetris in this respect isn't all that hard to make), but only those I've consistently enjoyed the most straight from a developer's vision to realization.