What is your idea of an ideal remake?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Not a remaster but a full-on remake. I've recently seen Secret of Mana will be remade. I was very excited because the original one on the SNES is one of my most cherished games ever. However that anticipation quickly turned into apprehension when I saw the game footage.

Poor, low-budget 3D character models instead of beautiful 2D hand-drawn sprites a la Ori and the Blind Forest. This will likely lead to a complete shift of game feel and even mechanics and at that point the only thing the remake will have in common with the original will be the story.

This is what my idea of a perfect remake:

- A remake should NOT alter anything even if they are seemingly an improvement. Only improvements that should be done are for bug fixes. Yes even balance issues should remain untouched unless they break the game.

- A remake should never change from 2D to 3D. Never EVER.

- A remake should have bonus features such as soundtrack, deleted scenes/content but they should all be optional as forcibly adding them would alter the experience.

- A remake should attempt to maintain the same feel and atmosphere. This means no dramatic change to music, color palette or even art style. Yes even orchestrating the music isn't always a good thing. There is a certain charm to MIDI format from the old days. At least give us the option to choose between classic music and enhanced music.

I think that about covers it for me.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

@Juub1990: Pretty much agree, but they should be allowed to re-work any systems that were considered poorly done.

IE: The way you select magic and pause the game for everyone else while selecting would be considered poor design by today's standards.

With modern controllers/UI they should be able to allow players to cast spells without the need to pause the game for the other two players constantly. Or at least have the option.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

What you're highlighting is way more of a remaster, not a remake, there's no way you can remake a game with that many stipulations lining up as perfectly as you apparently want them to. You would need the back end of the existing game, you'd need the underlying engine to get all the nuances and quirks, vectors, geometry, physics etc.

Halo 2 Anniversary is what I would consider a perfect remaster, it operates the legacy engine on the back end for function with a completely new graphics engine.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Metroid: Zero Mission immediately comes to mind for me.

Completely different and better level design and they added a whole new section after Mother brain. Zero Mission turned a pretty meh game (influence and impact aside) into an amazing game that honestly I'd put right next to Super Metroid.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@endofaugust: Yeah they did a good job with Halo 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Homeworld: Remastered.

- £29.99 for both Homeworld 1/2

- Every asset redone and a graphical upgrade from 1998 to modern stay standard

- Comes with original games

- Comes with goodies such as a very cool Mothership model

Some people exaggerated the fuel mechanic problem to write it off, but they were mostly hyperbolic. Gearbox actually done really, really well here.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#7 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3673 Posts

from what you mentioned, rather than a remake it sounds like remaster.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

I would've preferred the following for the Secret of Mana remake:

• Graphics updated to HD sprites, instead of 3D.
  • Restore the content that was cut from the original CD version, like a Director's Cut.
  • Fix the bugs.
  • Re-translate the script.
  • Keep the gameplay mostly the same.
  • Possibly add voice acting (preferably British VA, like in DQ8, Xenoblade and Last Story).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup

@freedom01 said:

from what you mentioned, rather than a remake it sounds like remaster.

Homeworld Remastered? It's on an entirely new engine, it's like a 3-4 generation jump. What's impressive is how much it changed, but how in tact the original frame is.

Loading Video...

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Juub1990

@endofaugust: Crash Bandicoot is a good example of a remake that was barely changed from the original.

What I want from a remaster is redone graphics, bug fixes and bonus content. Nothing else really. And of course if frame rate can be increased/improved. I don't wanna feel a completely different game. It tends to be inferior.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EndofAugust

@Juub1990 said:

@endofaugust: Crash Bandicoot is a good example of a remake that was barely changed from the original.

They used actual data from the original games so I wouldn't call it a remake, even more so "Remastered" is plastered all over the games case, I'm looking right at it.

It's very much a Halo 2 Anniversary.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedom01  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: yeah, that's what a remaster is. Everything is kept same as the original except maybe more details and better graphics. And that is what TC is asking for

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

@freedom01 said:

@uninspiredcup: yeah, that's what a remaster is. Everything is kept same as the original except maybe more details and better graphics. And that is what TC is asking for

Na, it's mechanically different. The UI is different as well, generally better.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EndofAugust

@freedom01 said:

Resident Evil on the GameCube is an actual remake, they redid the entire game from the ground up.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Juub1990

@endofaugust: Except Halo 2 anniverssary uses the exact same engine whereas Crash Bandicoot was built from the ground up. A remaster is simply taking the same game and polishing it. That's what Halo Anniverssary 2 did. A remake is what the name implies, it's to remake the game.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedom01  Moderator

@endofaugust: yes, that would be considered a remake since its made from ground up.

Remaster is more of a polish with adding more details and such.

Crash Is considered a "remaster plus" according to the devs

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9479 Posts

I'm not really sure what my perfect example of a remake would be, but there are many games I would LOVE to be remastered or remade. Some on my list: SOCOM, SOCOM 2, Time Splitters III, Vigilante 8, NBA Give N Go, Goldeneye 007, 007 Nightfire, Crystalis, Faxanadu, Journey to Silius, Battle of Olympus, Metal Warriors, EVO, Breath of Fire 1-3, Little Nemo, The Lone Ranger, you know what... I could probably keep going for a day and a half... lol

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EndofAugust

@Juub1990 said:

@endofaugust: Except Halo 2 anniverssary uses the exact same engine whereas Crash Bandicoot was built from the ground up. A remaster is simply taking the same game and polishing it. That's what Halo Anniverssary 2 did. A remake is what the name implies, it's to remake the game.

Crash lies somewhere in between, they used geometry data from the games to build the levels and polygon meshes. Vicarious Visions actually refers to it as a "Remaster Plus", it's not entirely a remake, and it's not entirely a remaster.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Juub1990

@endofaugust: Then that would be a perfect example of a "remakster". Looks terrific and modern graphically without chaging the overall feel and mechanics.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

A remake should be a better overall experience than the original game. It should clean up visuals-especially if the game is from gen 5 or 6. It should improve sound and voice acting. It should fix obvious problems from the original game. Added convenience features is always nice. It should include all the DLC or add-ons from the original.

I don't have a problem with them adding content to the game in most situations.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I'm not a fan of remasters or remakes, but i'd rather a remaster over a remake, because a remake changes things in a game that made it a classic in the first place, and you should never change a classic.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

I'd qualify a remaster as utilizing current technology to improve it within the constraints of its original execution. With a remake, I'd qualify it as utilizing current technology to break it free from the restraints of its original execution and let it be dictated to by its original vision.

Many old games were only designed the way they were because they had to be. A remake doesn't have to be so restricted.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

System shock remake looks like my ideal remake. have same classic level design but with modern interface and imrpove gameplay/graphics.

Both are same games but one looks too ancient and other have excellent graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Agreed on Halo 2 Anniversary. I have not played it but it maintains visual consistency with the original release. I was going to mention Star Fox Zero. Not for being a remake but the way the visuals go back to original concept art for inspiration.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Jag85 said:

I would've preferred the following for the Secret of Mana remake:

• Graphics updated to HD sprites, instead of 3D.

Considering their "remakes" of old 2D sprite FF games, you dont want this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@funsohng:

Updating the sprites would require updating the map layout and animation as well. Doing that is far more work than a 3D render.

...the he sprites in street fighter hd look terrible.

...now about those king of fighters games--that stuff looks great.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

At this point, I'd rather have a remaster after Blizzard dropped StarCraft: Remastered. Granted, that would only work with mechanically perfected games, but literally upgrading just the graphics, while keeping the entire game engine (including glitches) intact is what I'd want.

If Nintendo went and remade Super Metroid, and changed the game engine, removing glitches and the like, I would be offended. I spend literally weeks of my life playing that game, learning all the speed running tricks and every inch of the game world. I'd only ever want to see the graphics upgraded.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

Remake: Thief 2, by the original LGS team.

Reboot: One distant day, this, in AR:

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Juub1990: your ideal remake is a remaster ?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir

I'd rather have a remake alter the game to something better, a remaster should be used to describe a game when just graphics are improved.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Juub1990

@thehig1: Next time read. You might learn a thing or two.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EndofAugust

@sancho_panzer said:

Remake: Thief 2, by the original LGS team.

Reboot: One distant day, this, in AR:

I would love a new Lemmings, I still play the DOS version here and there.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

@endofaugust: They are kind of great. You'd think someone would have come up with a way to freshen up the gameplay and get the idea working well in a 3D environment.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

One that caters to the fans of the original game and doesnt bastardize what was great about said game for a new audience.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

I hope all remakes add QTE's

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thehig1

@Juub1990: you said remake, but your criteria more closely describes a remaster, also try to be less of a snotty twat

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thehig1

@Juub1990: the stipulations you have highlighted are more of a remaster than a remake. Insulting me doesnt change that

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Juub1990

@thehig1: Read the entire post. You started with the insults.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thehig1

@Juub1990 said:

@thehig1: Read the entire post. You started with the insults.

My first post only said your ideal remake is a remaster, no insult there, then your the one who shifts straight to the snotty tone, I just reacted to it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Juub1990

@thehig1: Apologies then. But yeah I mostly want them to leave the game intact but use a brand new engine. Just increasing the resolution is not enough. They need to rebuild the game from the ground up but still try to keep the same feel for me to like a remaster. After all why would I want a completely different game?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thehig1

@Juub1990 said:

@thehig1: Apologies then. But yeah I mostly want them to leave the game intact but use a brand new engine. Just increasing the resolution is not enough. They need to rebuild the game from the ground up but still try to keep the same feel for me to like a remaster. After all why would I want a completely different game?

Resident Evil I see as the perfect remake, or at least the best remake I've played anyway. It adds a new elements to the game that weren't present in the original that added to the challenge and the enjoyment.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

I can't even name any remakes aside from Pokemon FR/LG, HG/SS, OR/AS and Zelda OOT3D and MM3D.

Between those two models, it's no contest. Pokemon wins by a longshot. OOT3D/MM3D are so molded to look and play like the original games that I seriously thought they were remastered ports until someone showed me a side by side comparison which proved the environments and buildings are actually remade.

I wonder why go through all of the trouble to make a 'remake' like that? I felt the same way about spending money on OOT3D. Why in the world did I do that?

Remakes should be like Pokemon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

I say the entire Star Wars Rogue Squadron series from N64-GC eras. With how the upcoming SW Battlefront 2 made the space battles (seen on YouTube), I can imagine how a completely made from the ground up Rogue Squadron would like on current consoles.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

fear: make every level not look the same and give the replica soldiers a more distinctive look but not the way fear 2 handle them,

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Yeah, you're looking for a remaster. Why should A remake not alter anything? It is a REMAKE. Which means its being REMADE. I don't see the point if you're not gonna change anything.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

First person shooters tend to have the most straightforward rule to follow: Just improve the graphics while doing everything you can to preserve the gameplay of the original iteration. Only exception to this would be the classic Doom games, since you have to account for jumping and free look when remaking certain maps.

On titles like the older Final Fantasy games, i think it'd be more prudent if Square-Enix were to collaborate with Bandai Namco so as to get the creators of Tales to remake FF1 with Tales of Vesperia's version of the Linear Motion Battle System

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Resident Evil 1 remake on GameCube (originally)...now that's a proper/perfect remake imo. :P

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

There is none. Nostalgic fans will always complain.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Zelda: Wind Waker HD on Wii U. Visuals were VASTLY improved over the GameCube original, game played the same but small improvements where implemented :) If a whole bunch of PlayStation game could be redone in this fashion, will be very happy.