What is your favorite PlayStation handheld?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll What is your favorite PlayStation handheld? (43 votes)

PlayStation Portable 37%
PlayStation Vita 63%

Sony's history in the handheld market is short, but notable. They have had two handhelds so far, and with each, they've managed to make a fair few mistakes, although they have also successfully managed to compete with Nintendo in a market where no one else has done it before.

With that said, which one of them do you like the more?

On the one hand, the original PSP, although having a fair few issues over the years, ended as one of my favorite systems of last gen, and a system I hold in the highest regard. The games that it had were absolutely amazing, and it, along with the DS, contributed to the resurgence of handheld gaming. The PSP was that rare handheld that managed to rally both Japanese and western devs behind it (although at different times in its life), and it had so many great media features too. It was ahead of its time. That's not to even mention the games! Burnout Legends, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Ridge Racer, Tekken: Dark Resurrection, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Tactics Ogre, Breath of Fire, Persona 3 Portable. It was great, it had so many neat titles, and it was, in many ways, the true successor to the GBA.

On the other hand, the PS Vita has Persona 4 Golden.

Damn it, this is tough to pick.

• 
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well I've only owned a vita...

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

vita. rayman legends and tearaway are amazing. I haven't even played p4g yet.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I vote for the PSP since it was great for emulators and I don't like how they made the buttons smaller on the Vita.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Dual analog sticks coupled with a portable Uncharted beats the PSP in my book. The problem is Sony and all third party developers left the system to rot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@wiiboxstation said:

vita. rayman legends and tearaway are amazing. I haven't even played p4g yet.

This is going to be where I recommend that you play P4G at all costs. Preferably now.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

PSP had Tactics Ogre, Patapon, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

PSP wins. Vita's best game is a fucking console port+extras.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jg4xchamp said:

PSP had Tactics Ogre, Patapon, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

PSP wins. Vita's best game is a fucking console port+extras.

The funny thing is, two of the games you named in your list are also consoleports.

For Patapon, I raise you Tearaway.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Honestly....none. I own both a PSP and Vita but the games just don't appeal to me. Having said that, I did enjoy Riviera and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on the PSP. On the Vita, I enjoyed Technika and suffered through Assassin's Creed III: Liberation. So maybe PSP for now? I still have to try Tearaway, Persona 4 Golden, and Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD though.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Going withe PSP. I bought one at launch and loved it. It got real support. I like my vita, hell most of what I play on it are old PSP games, but the support in terms of new full fledged IPs is what I was hoping for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Which one has Spelunky and most of Vanillaware's catalog?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

Vita automatically wins because you can play most PSP games on it. Also, indie support and remote play.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Easily the vita (but thats not saying much). It cant play psp, ps1, indy, and vita games lol.

the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts

none of them

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

psp is my favourite but ill get suspended again if i say why..... i like my vita as well :)

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

It's a shame Sony messed up with the Vita...had so much potential. Love my Vita though.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

The vita in terms of design is much better. Put in the fact that some psp games are buyable through psn and can be played on PSvita im leaning towards vita.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Having just recently taken the plunge on a Vita, I definitely prefer it to my old PSP that I never used and subsequently lost. Well, the Vita has access to most of the PSP's digital back catalog anyway (a rare feature nowadays outside of Nintendo systems) and I never bought any UMD games on it. Unfortunately, though, there's a number of very good PSP games I'll never get to play like Crisis Core unless they put it on PSN.

In terms of which is the superior handheld, from a hardware perspective it's obviously the Vita. A qHD 5 inch multitouch screen with dual analog at 219 grams makes it probably the best designed handheld ever. Also, Remote Play done right and not just with Lair. Playstation Plus support also means a steady stream of free games. Aside from Danganronpa, I actually haven't made any purchases with my new Vita yet, but I still have 10 games to get through on PS Plus back catalog. No doubt it'll keep me busy.

Overall, while I don't think the Vita's library is impressive by any means, for some reason it resonates with me a lot better than the PSP ever did. I like it. I could never imagine going back to a PSP.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The Vita is the better system IMO. Too bad Sony just seems to have abandoned it, and made it become a PS4 accessory.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

The PSP lets me play FF: Tactics on the go so...yeah.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#20  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I don't game as much as I used to, so I will likely never get a Vita. If I do, it'll be at the end of its life cycle, dirt cheap. I didn't buy a PSP until it was essentially dead. Shame I has to sell it in a bout with financial difficulties. It was a sweet little handheld. I killed a lot of time with Lumines.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Vita

New genres of games explored on handhelds and a lot of great games. The Vita's droughts aren't worse than the PSP's were by a long shot.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#22 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@22Toothpicks said:

You can play that game and tactics ogre on the Vita too ...and upresed. The vita plays a metric ton of ps1, psp, minis, psmobile, and native vita games, and it does remote play with ps4. Just got Rogue Legacy and Ratchet and Clank Collection on it....both stellar. The fact that it has so many of PS2's greatest hits in collections is amazing: Metal gear solid 1,2,3 and Peace walker, JAK 1-3, Sly 1-4, God of war 1-2 /chains/ ghosts. Oh and it plays all the main line final fantasy FF1-10-2 plus disssidias and tactics. Oh and then it plays all the personas P1-P4G.... It has remasters of rarer wii titles, New little kings story and muramasa, and has original titles like Gravity rush, Ragnorok, and Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Lets not even get into the massive indie catalog.... games like spluneky, rogue legacy, bit trip runner 2, oli oli, hotline miami, retro city rampage, sound shapes, fez, limbo, etc...

VITA hands down and this from someone who owned 4 Psps just because I loved the system so much!!!

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@22Toothpicks said:

You can play that game and tactics ogre on the Vita too ...and upresed. The vita plays a metric ton of ps1, psp, minis, psmobile, and native vita games, and it does remote play with ps4. Just got Rogue Legacy and Ratchet and Clank Collection on it....both stellar. The fact that it has so many of PS2's greatest hits in collections is amazing: Metal gear solid 1,2,3 and Peace walker, JAK 1-3, Sly 1-4, God of war 1-2 /chains/ ghosts. Oh and it plays all the main line final fantasy FF1-10-2 plus disssidias and tactics. Oh and then it plays all the personas P1-P4G.... It has remasters of rarer wii titles, New little kings story and muramasa, and has original titles like Gravity rush, Ragnorok, and Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Lets not even get into the massive indie catalog.... games like spluneky, rogue legacy, bit trip runner 2, oli oli, hotline miami, retro city rampage, sound shapes, fez, limbo, etc...

VITA hands down and this from someone who owned 4 Psps just because I loved the system so much!!!

yeah but then I would have to actually buy a Vita which is just not in my budget at the moment; the prospect of all those classic ps1/ps2 games on a handheld is really appealing though.

you know what i really want though? Megaman legends 1 & 2 to be on PSN. the x series would be sweet as well. just one more reason i hate today's capcom.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

PSP. How is that even a question lol

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

The Sony Walkman.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

PSP shits aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall over the vita.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I must say that the original vita is not the most comfortable for long periods of gameplay

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

PSP has the better library overall since it's been around several times as long, though I think people would be surprised if we compared the Vita and the PSP's first couple of years.

Hardware it's no comparison. Vita is a better system in every way.

@lostrib said:

I must say that the original vita is not the most comfortable for long periods of gameplay

I felt the same actually. I ended up spending a couple bucks on a grip (this one in fact) and it made a big difference.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

They all suffer the same problem: lack of games/exclusives

But still, I've already played on my Vita way more than on my PSP.

The PSP, for me, only had 3 worthwhile things: GTA, Patapon and Emulators.

Sony could've learned so much from the PSP, unfortunately they already gave up on the Vita.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

I like them both, but for me the Vita. 2 Analog sticks makes this an easy choice for me. As well as the OLED display that puts even my plasma and LCD (LED back-lit) TVs to shame. Now add the ability to play the PS 4 games on it, and it is an amazing little system. Just tired of nothing but Indie games on it. But the games that are not indie are very good. Uncharted. Unit 13, MK, Killzone, God of War, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SakusEnvoy: Yo, make sure to pick up P4G for your Vita when you get the chance. You won't regret it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@22Toothpicks said:

^ this guy knows what he's talking about

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Well this is easy to answer.

The PSP!

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I think in hardware & overall design PSV is the most impressive 7th to 8th gen leap.

Misses GTA, God of War, Tekken, Syphon Filter, Final Fantasy and Burnout. Gains a ton of downloadable & PS1/PSP games. It's exclusive library won't be as strong as PSP's but total library will dwarf it, Vita it is.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

PSP has a vastly superior library.

But Vita can play most PSP games...hmmm.

PSP still wins because Vita is left to die with a mediocre exclusive library and will sell like crap.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

vita is lame

hardly any games worth playing just gimped console ports and lame spin off games.

the screen sucks lol 540P my tablet is 1200p

memory cards are disgusting! 40 bucks for 16gbs!!!? i can get a 64gb sd card for that much!

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

vita is the best handheld hardware. But there is not much in it sadly

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#38 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Vita

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The Vita obviously.

Vita is love. Vita is life.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

psp all day, it was a breath of fresh air when it released and along with gameboy colour is the only handheld i have ever owned. also it had some amazing games like final fantasy crisis core/god of war etc.