What is your favorite Nintendo console?

• 125 results
Edited 3 years, 5 months ago

Poll: What is your favorite Nintendo console? (132 votes)

Nintendo Entertainment System 6%
Super Nintendo Entertainment System 29%
Nintendo 64 20%
Gamecube 31%
Wii 6%
Wii U 7%

Nintendo has had a long and illustrious history in console gaming- longer than any other company ever, as a matter of fact. They have had six different consoles on the market, and each of them has been unique, each of them has brought something new to the table, and each of them has had a marvelous library of gems by the end.

But which of them do you like the best? And why?

On my part, if I had to rank them, I would rank them as follows:

1. Gamecube
  2. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  3. Wii U
  4. Wii
  5. Nintendo 64
  6. Nintendo Entertainment System

I don't have much nostalgia for the NES, since it was out and replaced before I was even born, and its games never aged as well; the SNES is a class act, and possibly, objectively, one of the two greatest consoles of all time; ranking the N64 that low breaks my heart as I absolutely love it, but today, it stands pretty broken and aged, with all of its games having been bettered in some form or another. The Gamecube is my absolute favorite Nintendo console- it had first and third party support, and the exclusives were exceptional, and possibly the most creative Nintendo has ever been yet. The Wii was a bit of a dramatic drop, really, but by the end of its generation, it had so many great games to its name that it's very hard to stay pissed at it. And the Wii U is surprisingly awesome, already shooting up my list of favorite Nintendo consoles, less than two years in. It's got a great library of compelling exclusives, and the Nintendo of the Gamecube era seems to be back, rather than the relatively safe and boring Nintendo we got in the Wii era.

What are your favorite Nintendo systems? How would you rank them?

#51 Posted by m3dude1 (2252 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

1 WiiU - Best exclusive game Lineup, best game controller ever invented, awesome motion controls, Wii backwards compatibility.

2. Wii - Awesome motion controls, great game library.

3. Snes - Best 2d game library.

4. Nes - Massive library of good 2d games.

5. Gamecube - Some good games, namely Metroid.

6. N64 - Pass. Not interested in anything. Controller looks and feels idiotic.

LOLOL

#53 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

SNES > Gamecube > NES. All other Nintendo consoles N64, Wii and Wii U are garbage.

#54 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

It's a tossup between N64 and Gamecube. I had an NES and SNES as a kid, but never enough games to fully experience them. I was young and couldn't afford games or even rentals honestly. N64 and Gamecube I was able to purchase more games on my own. I'll go with Gamecube since some of my favorite games are on that system.

#55 Edited by SecretPolice (31980 posts) -

N64, we had soooo much fun with that 4 player split screen off line MP monster box. :P

#56 Edited by nintendoboy16 (33746 posts) -

1. GameCube

2. N64 (this was formerly on the number one spot)

3. SNES

4. NES

5. Wii (make no mistake, this is still a good system, just my least favorite)

Wii U gets no answer because I still don't have one yet.

#57 Edited by Telekill (7391 posts) -

For me it's the Gamecube for Resident Evil, Zelda and Smash Bros. Great memories. After that it's NES followed by SNES.

#58 Edited by PAL360 (28813 posts) -

Its a tie between Nes and Snes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#59 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

I really like the cart based consoles. I like the fact that the audio and visuals could be improved through the cart. The SNES had games like Starfox that completely floored everybody with the improved audio, and games like Donkey Kong were being compared, visually, to what was coming up on Saturn and Playstation. I also tend to prefer the synch based sounds vs full on orchestrated/live music/audio. IMO much character was added to games when every single sound in the game was somewhat custom. Sometimes I wonder if carts are still the way to go.

#60 Posted by pelvist (6716 posts) -

Im surprised to see so many people picking the Gamecube. For me I think the SNES just edges it out ver the N64.

#61 Posted by PikminWorld (2103 posts) -

Despite not having playing NES, SNES, or N64 in person, (I've experienced their games through the Virtual Console) I can't really cast a good judgment on which of all the consoles is better than the other. They all have great line-ups that in some ways feel equal in satisfaction but, then again it is also can come down to nostalgia factor. The SNES and N64 have some great games that I've never played, I've thoroughly enjoyed the GameCube and Wii U and I don't really think one is better than the other. Against all the hate the Wii got I actually really enjoyed it, at least the first party games, graphics weren't great but I actually didn't notice or care until going back to play them, (I play PC also and didn't notice the crappy pixelated graphics until getting the Wii U and playing it) though I do feel like playing Wii games through the Wii U does make them more pixelated then usual but, maybe that's just me. The NES had some great titles but, by today's standards many are very outdated and didn't age well, at least in my opinion.

#62 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

n64 without a doubt, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 are worth it alone

#63 Edited by thehig1 (6213 posts) -

@charizard1605: I agree about the Gamecube, I have a soft spot for it.

I loved how it looked, how it started up and the controller not forgetting it had some pretty good games I wasted hours on.

Some of my favorite games of all time were on the Gamecube.

- Resident Evil Remake

- Resident Evil 0

- Zelda Windwaker

- Eternal Darkness

- Paper Mario Thousand Year Old Door

- Mario Golf Toadstool Tour (dunno why I played this game to death)

- Metriod Prime 1 and 2

- Metal Gear Twin Snakes

-Aminal Crossing (My girlfirend played this more than me)

- Pokemon Colosseum (Never liked Gale of Darkness)

It ended up being my primary console that Gen, and it was why I bought a Wii on launch day. However I felt cheated with the Wii I seen the controls as gimmick from day 1, and the graphic power was about the same as the Gamecube.

#64 Posted by MBirdy88 (12230 posts) -

SNES > N64 > WII U > GAMECUBE > Wii

I think the Wii-U is a fantastic little system, much like the ViTA ... looked at in totally the wrong light, yet a pleasure to use.

Playing MK8 in bed before falling asleep on an actual comfortable to use portable device is bliss.... simply put, I cannt wait for Smash Bros ... not even bothering with the 3DS version.... because its portable enough around the house.

#65 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9284 posts) -

As of right now, based on what is available for the Wii U I would rank them

1. Gamecube

2. Wii U

3. SNES

4. Wii

5. N64

6. NES

If all of the announced Wii U games end up being as good as I am hoping they will be, it will easily take the top spot. Everything unannounced is just icing on the cake. Nintendo really hit a home run this gen with the Wii U. It's everything a console should be.

#66 Posted by zassimick (10410 posts) -

Gotta go with Gamecube.

Wii U could potentially be up there. It'll depend on Smash Bros being a retread or not, and the new Zelda, and then any other exclusive heavy hitters. Plus if they finally fix their Virtual Console and release some darn games for it (I'm looking at you N64 library, I want you on my Gamepad) then it could potentially be right up there, if not surpass the Gamecube.

I never owned an SNES. NES had a lot of good memories but it's far from the best among them unless you include legacy. And the Wii had some stellar games but it didn't reach its potential with the library that the Gamecube laid before it.

#67 Edited by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

I'm currently collecting PAL titles for my SNES because **** me for living in Europe (due the countless juggernauts that never made it there), and even with that said, i'll go with the SNES.

• Terranigma
  • Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Breath of Fire II (retranslated version)
  • Secret of Mana
  • Demon's Crest
  • Pop'n Twinbee
  • Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
  • Illusion of Time (Gaia)
  • Donkey Kong Country trilogy
  • Soul Blazer
  • Space Megaforce
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Mega Man X - X3
  • Pocky & Rocky 1 & 2
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Kirby's Fun Pak (Kirby Super Star)
  • Super Metroid
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
  • R-Type III: The Third Lightning
  • The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
  • Super Turrican 1 & 2
  • The Firemen (shitty title, but incredibly good, polished and creative game)
  • Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy

Hand picked list of what i want to achieve. No filler whatsoever. As time goes on and i delve deeper into the SNES's library, my feeling that it's the greatest console ever made just grows.

And wen i think that the US library is more impressive and that the JP library dwarfs them both, my feeling intensifies tenfold.

#68 Posted by cainetao11 (32736 posts) -

My favorite product is 3ds, because I've only ever owned Wii and wiiu. I voted wiiu because it covers Wii anyway.

#69 Posted by Kjranu (1748 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@farrell2k said:

1 WiiU - Best exclusive game Lineup, best game controller ever invented, awesome motion controls, Wii backwards compatibility.

wii u? they have basically zero third party support. they release like 2 games a month lol. besides mario kart what does wii u have right now?

Super Mario 3D World. The Wonderful 101. Pikmin 3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Lego City Undercover. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Rayman Legends. Shovel Knight. ZombiU. New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Land. New Super Luigi U.

Make no mistake, the Wii U has a lot of games, a lot of very good games.

Third party support is very important- so it's a testament that Wii U manages to be as good as it does without it.

A lot of recycled garbage you mean? None of these games you pointed out have any depth to it. None of the games you pointed have a compelling story. None of the games you pointed out are innovative in any way. Nintendo's first party is becoming shovelware very fast. I have Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U and Wind Waker HD and my gosh they're all terrible games. I don't get the hype at all. Mario Kart 8 is a barebones game with the depth of an eight year old. Wind Waker's dialogue and story are as compelling as a poorly written children's book. NSMBU? How many times have we been there? Same stupid story about Mario, Bowser and Peach that absolutely lacks any dialogue or story depth.

Nintendo is horrible and they deserve all the flak they've gotten.

#70 Posted by HadOne2Many (1485 posts) -

I loved most of them (except the Wii) during their time. Each has given me fond memories. My favorite is the current one (just like the XB1 is my favorite Microsoft console and the PS4 is my favorite Sony console). When I get a new console I stop playing the old ones.

#71 Edited by R4gn4r0k (27134 posts) -

SNES or Gamecube

A lot of my childhood was spent gaming on SNES. So many great games it had too. But the thing was: I didn't know back then what were good games or not, something I know very well now. So I also spent playing a lot of crappy games. Of course at the time I enjoyed them. They were just nowhere near DKC, Mario World, Mario Kart NBA Jam or Zelda. Which were some of my fav games on that console. In fact I only played DKC 1&2 years later (and they were still amazing), but I did have and loved DKC 3 before.

Gamecube because it also had it's fair share of awesome games (Wind Waker, SM Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, RE4, Viewtiful joe, ...) and I just spent soooooo much time playing SSBM and Mario Kart Double Dash with friends. They loved it because all of them either had PS or Xbox.

I'm sure I would have a tough time deciding between 3 consoles if I had a N64 during its lifetime too. I only bought one years later but I did spent a good amount playing it at other peoples houses.

Wii is easily the worst console of them all. The motion controls got old after a week and they ruined what could easily have been an amazing zelda game (SS)

I'll go for Gamecube. Just because of Melee and Double Dash.

#72 Edited by osan0 (14954 posts) -

i cant decide between the snes and the wii. the gamecube is also very strong.

the snes had a lot of cracking games and one of the great controllers. seeing something like starwing for the first time was also pretty jaw dropping. but i dont think i would go back and play many snes games today (a link to the past and chrono trigger are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head).

the wii was a very exciting console and eventually it delivered. it suffered from a lot of crap games by useless publishers but the diamonds amongst them shun very bright indeed. mario galaxy is one of the best games ever made. I sunk stupid hours into monster hunter 3 (and the addiction has returned with ultimate on the wiiu...dang it :P). red steel 2, which sold shamefully badly unfortunately, finally delivered on what ubisoft tried with red steel and beating the crap out of miis with a stick in wii sports resort is one of those things that has to be experienced. metroid prime 3 was a very good demonstration of the advantages of the wiimote in a FPS and was a great send off for the trilogy and xenoblade is in my top 5 fav games ever.

hardware wise the gamecube is the best console nintendo has ever built at the time it was released. in many ways it offered pretty much everything people are shouting at nintendo for now. it was plenty powerful, it could do online gaming (this was before online gaming became a big thing on consoles), it was cheap, built like a tank and offered a controller that offered most of the functionality of the competition (the omission of a fourth shoulder button and clickable sticks was an odd decision). it lacked DVD playback but that was it. it was also developer friendly. maybe if nintendo partnered with panasonic to release the Q in the west it would have seen more success but not to be sadly. also many cracking games. metroid prime is also in my top five games of all time. fzero GX was so good people are still looking for another one (and i dont think there would be coplaints if amusement vision/sega took on development duties).

i never owned an N64.

overall though i think i would go with the wii. its such a shame nintendo didnt run with the idea for the wiiu.

#73 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8442 posts) -
  1. SNES
  2. N64
  3. GC
  4. Wii U
  5. Wii
  6. NES
#74 Posted by XboxStache (1530 posts) -

Personally, a tie between Gamecube and SNES. (even though I love the Wii U)

Gamecube was probably the best built console; period. You could toss it off a roof and nothing would happen. Wouldn't surprise me if it was capable of surviving a nuclear explosion. Plus, all the IPS, good graphics (I'll still never forget the first time I played Metroid prime....and it's graphics still hold up even today) easter eggs, the controller, that memorable star up (plus, the other one when you hold down Z)...Gamecube was a beast.

SNES just had loads of games. Great games, good games, RPG's, the FX chip, those memorable soundtracks, was possibly the first console to use L and R triggers. The best of the pre-HD consoles.

Honorable mentions- N64 (for all the obscure fighting games like Mace, Fighter's Destiny, the best wrestling games, and the most unique controller), Wii, because there are loads of games to discover...still releasing games as we speak. Plus, Mario Galaxy!

#75 Edited by sixringz1 (1116 posts) -

Lol. Man you can really tell the age group of these boards with this post

#76 Posted by lundy86_4 (48659 posts) -

Just from the time I spent on the system, I have to vote for the N64. Such a great game.

#77 Posted by Alucard_Prime (8769 posts) -

I owned all those consoles up to the Gamecube. I had incredible memories with each, they were all different enough. But if I could chose only one, it would be the SNES. The jump from NES was signifcant at the time. I remember playing games like Contra3 , Zelda Link to the PAst, Super Ghouls & Ghosts......I was so amazed. It had a lot of good rpg games too. And I remember playing tons of Street Fighter 2 on it, that was amazing at the time, to get a near perfect arcade port like that at home. Good memories.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
#78 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (1483 posts) -

Probably the N64. So many hours logged on that classic machine. The SNES giving the N64 a run for its money though. Its hard to decide to be quite honest.

Loading Video...

#79 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

@charizard1605 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@farrell2k said:

wii u? they have basically zero third party support. they release like 2 games a month lol. besides mario kart what does wii u have right now?

Super Mario 3D World. The Wonderful 101. Pikmin 3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Lego City Undercover. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Rayman Legends. Shovel Knight. ZombiU. New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Land. New Super Luigi U.

Make no mistake, the Wii U has a lot of games, a lot of very good games.

Third party support is very important- so it's a testament that Wii U manages to be as good as it does without it.

A lot of recycled garbage you mean? None of these games you pointed out have any depth to it. None of the games you pointed have a compelling story. None of the games you pointed out are innovative in any way. Nintendo's first party is becoming shovelware very fast. I have Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U and Wind Waker HD and my gosh they're all terrible games. I don't get the hype at all. Mario Kart 8 is a barebones game with the depth of an eight year old. Wind Waker's dialogue and story are as compelling as a poorly written children's book. NSMBU? How many times have we been there? Same stupid story about Mario, Bowser and Peach that absolutely lacks any dialogue or story depth.

Nintendo is horrible and they deserve all the flak they've gotten.

Lol, so this is where you started your anti Nintendo crusade again, I see.

What bullshit, really. I won't dignify that drivel with a response.

#80 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

<3 that Gamecube.

#81 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

I love the fact that Gamecube is winning.

#83 Edited by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

#84 Posted by Basinboy (13196 posts) -

Obligatory post.

If you want my opinion, just ask the OP @charizard1605 - he knows how wrong he is by not voting SNES.

#85 Edited by madsnakehhh (16251 posts) -

I find it weird that i didn't choose the SNES nor the N64 since those systems have some of my favorite games of all time, but in the end, i went with the GameCube i don't know, there is something in that console that truly captured me.

#86 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Probably the N64. So many hours logged on that classic machine. The SNES giving the N64 a run for its money though. Its hard to decide to be quite honest.

Loading Video...

love that

#87 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19680 posts) -

For its time, the N64.

#88 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29676 posts) -

Unlike the PS3 situation.

I liked the Gamecube WAY more than the Wii.

The Wii had some pretty awesome games, Like Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, Tatsunoko vs Capcom.....but.....GAMECUBE OH BABY!

It had ALL Resident Evil games at the time, 3 Legend of Zeldas, F-Zero GX, 2 Star Fox Games, Super Mario Sunshine, Soul Calibur 2, Tales of Symphonia, and CAPCOM VS SNK 2. and the Best thing of all......the Gameboy Advance Player. That opened that system to not only have games like I listed above, but NOW it can play ALL Pokemon games at the time, Super Mario Bros. Advance 1-4, Donkey Kong Country Advance, Another F-Zero Game, Goldensun, Megaman Zeros, Megaman Battle Networks, AND Gameboy Color and Gameboy games!

The Cube was LEGIT, best freakin' Console Nintendo has EVER made. Backwards compatible Wiis are 2nd because you can not only enjoy Wii classics on that system, but you can play GAMECUBE games too.

#89 Posted by Kjranu (1748 posts) -

N64 and Gamecube but only because of Rogue Squadron 1 and 2. Oh yeah, Phantasy Star Online was exclusive on Gamecube for a while too.

#90 Edited by trugs26 (7494 posts) -

It's ridiculous that the GCN is winning this poll. I voted it as well. But back in the day, I was the only one among my friends to own one, now suddenly people are liking it the best among Nintendo platforms, despite the crappiest sales? I feel like there's a bandwagon of liking the GCN lately. Where were you when the thing was actually on the shelves?

#91 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

It's ridiculous that the GCN is winning this poll. I voted it as well. But back in the day, I was the only one among my friends to own one, now suddenly people are liking it the best among Nintendo platforms, despite the crappiest sales? I feel like there's a bandwagon of liking the GCN lately. Where were you when the thing was actually on the shelves?

A few things

A: Wii having BC and being a super popular system

B: A bunch of people who weren't gaming a lot in the NES/Snes era, and actually ended up getting more games during the gamecube era.

C: The inherent value people put on modern games vs older ones, plus the Wii is looked at as a casual system.

#92 Posted by sukraj (27302 posts) -

I like the Wii

#93 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

NES or SNES for me. NES for the edge though.

#94 Posted by Jag85 (10986 posts) -

The GameCube is actually leading? What is going on?

#95 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9869 posts) -

I voted GameCube.

#96 Posted by Lionheart08 (15814 posts) -

I'm very fond of the purple lunchbox. Resident Evil 4, Melee, Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, and my all time favorite Zelda: Wind Waker.

#97 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

Sega Saturn, 'cuz it does what NintenDON'T!

#98 Edited by Zelda187 (1047 posts) -

SNES, hands down

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Breath of Fire, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country, Super Castlevania IV, Final Fight 3, Ogre Battle....the list goes on.

The Super Nintendo is still the greatest console ever made

#99 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

N64

So many classics. Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Starfox 64, Super Smash Bros, Majora's Mask, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Mario Kart, DK64, THPS 1&2, Killer Instinct Gold, Turok, so probably several others that I can't think of.

No I'm pretty sure that's the entire N64 list, that system was a disaster and what drove me away from Nintendo.

#100 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

The GameCube is actually leading? What is going on?

People like quality systems, apparently.