What is the worst Nintendo system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll What is the worst Nintendo system? (195 votes)

Nintendo Entertainment System 4%
Super Nintendo Entertainment System 1%
Nintendo 64 11%
Gamecube 9%
Wii 34%
Wii U 25%
Gameboy 8%
Gameboy Color 6%
Gameboy Advance 1%
Nintendo DS 0%
Nintendo 3DS 2%

So, I decided to mix this up. Now that console and handheld are in the mix, this question becomes a lot harder to answer, doesn't it?

What is the single worst Nintendo system of all time?

Yes, I realize I left out the Virtual Boy. That was done on purpose, as I know it would have won. What I am interested in seeing is which of Nintendo's mainline systems would win this poll.

So come on, guys. Chop chop. Have at it.

• 
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#1 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Game Boy or NES.

I can't bring myself to enjoy many of their games after masterpieces like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country 2, Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, etc.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Wii by far. It is the first Nintendo system I had no interest in buying. I may buy a Wii U for Zelda, but the last gameplay they showed was not looking good.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

NES.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

all after the snes

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

"Yes, I realize I left out the Virtual Boy. That was done on purpose"

Damn you! Nah, makes sense. Guess I have to go with the Gameboy then.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The Wii, easily.

Outside of Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, there was nothing else on that system (haven't played Xenoblade) that was actually great, that wasn't a port of a last gen game (Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, the first Pikmin). Some good stuff like Donkey Kong, Zack and Wiki, and Sin and Punishment, but great? nah. Super Paper Mario was a massive disappointment coming off Thousand Year Door. Metroid Prime 3 is the weakest in its trilogy and Metroid Other M was hardly living up to the importance of the original Metroid, or the brilliant that was Super Metroid, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2. Skyward Sword? Dog shit as a game and completely undermines a good selection of dungeons by Nintendo. Kirby was a cake walk, Brawl was a pitiful fighting engine, mario kart wii stunk, radiant dawn was aight, Shattered Memories is aight if you completely ignore how great Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3 are, and Madworld? Platinum's debut? even that stunk.

The NES still has the original 3 mario bros games that are to this day still enjoyable, ditto for Castlevania, ditto for Megaman 2, ditto for The Legend of Zelda, only reason Metroid doesn't cover that is because Zero mission exists.

Runner up to the Wii's wackness is the 3DS

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Wii. It's in no way bad, though. I had to decide between gold or gold.. Wii would've been better if it didn't rely so much on the controls, which really wasn't that special. Felt like a quirky way to play games was more important than the games being good. But again, still a great system with quite a few gems.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I'd say the Wii. It does have some fantastic games but I've probably spent the least time with it overall.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

The Wii U so far. There's just nothing on the system that makes me feel glad to own it.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Wii U. So far its exclusive lineup is good but lacking compared to the Wii. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 are the two killer apps but the Galaxy series is far better than 3D World and Brawl > SSB4 (you're goddamn right).

And then you had

• No More Heroes
  • No More Heroes 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • The Last Story
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Skyward Sword
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns (to be fair, Tropical Freeze is supposed to be better)

and a bunch of other games. Seriously, I'd put the Wii ahead of the Wii U for No More Heroes and the Galaxy games alone. We'll see if Xenoblade X and Zelda U turn out to be great.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

got to be the Gamecube

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

IMO, other than the Virtual boy, for obvious reasons, Nintendo never really had a "bad" system per se. What I consider a bad system, is an N-gage, Atari Jaguar, or Phillips Cdi, those were all dogshit :P. Personally, I would have to pick between the Wii & the n64 for me. I hated both system's main controllers. I voted N64 because I didn't own one, and I only played on my friend's & cousin's n64's back then. I know it had a lot of good games on it at the time, but I wasn't into Zelda, or mario. So I played Smash bros & bomberman. :D

tough choice.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

Brawl > SSB4 (you're goddamn right).

How? SSB4 surpass it by a mile in every aspect besides a legit single-player mode. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

no way it is NES

NES had mario 1-2-3 original Zelda and you can still go back an play those games 1000 of times

no people stop it

it has metriod and contra and timeless sports game like ice hockey IT IS NOT THE WORST STOP IT

edit its got castlevania 1 and 3 its got little nemo and megaman 2

NES IS NOT THE WORST WIIU is crap compared to it and KNOW this already stop it ppl stop

yes SNES is better than it but so what like imo no shit its better its got better graphics sound and better rpgs but so what like NES is still fine

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

The WiiU is the worst, at it's current point in lifespan. Even the Wii had a better game selection at this point in it's lifespan.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@locopatho said:

Even the Wii had a better game selection at this point in it's lifespan.

From November 06-February 08 Wii doesn't really have a better selection of games than The WiiU from november 12-February 2015.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 locopatho

@jg4xchamp said:

@locopatho said:

From November 06-February 08 Wii doesn't really have a better selection of games than The WiiU from november 12-February 2015.

It does to me. Not including last gen ports for either though, I guess if someone hadn't played Batman, Mass Effect, Tekken, etc on 7th gen consoles then WiiU looks better.

I could go full "List War" but blah, who cares, my opinion don't matter to you :P

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Wii. What a joke that thing was. Marketed to soccer moms, 1 generation behind its competition, 1 good game per year if even that, waggle batman express, Cooking Mama.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Nintendo's two last main consoles have been laughable, but wii really took the cake. Relying on such a poor gimmick for it's main controls was bad enough but to see Nintendo turn into a company reliant on shovelware and miss out on pretty much every third party was the reason they are in such a bad state. It had one or two good games, like every single console out there, but for every xenoblade there was a hundred ninjabread man. And you can pretend all you want to that the technology doesn't matter, but it does. I tried playing both zeldas and found them severely lacking in visuals, imagination, and originality.

Mario Galaxy was a good game but would have been better in HD, simple as that.

Wii u is also bad. Underpowered and/or overpriced for what you get, another gimmick selling it which has backfired and very little outside the same games Nintendo puts out every gen. Which is fine for their core fans but from the perspective of someone who doesn't get misty eyed every time Nintendo creates a game in the mushroom kingdom it means it stays on the shelf.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

wii and wii u are both equally terrible pieces of shit

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho

@DocSanchez said:

I tried playing both zeldas and found them severely lacking in visuals

Mario Galaxy was a good game but would have been better in HD, simple as that.

I agree with you but play them on Dolphin on PC if you can. Simply upping the res and smoothing all the jaggies makes them look fantastic. And the gameplay is still amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Objectively I'd say the DSi(xl). Weak build quality, weak audio output, and stripped the gba compatibility.

I disagree with people mentioning the Wii. Wii has great games, but it also has good video output for a bunch of older consoles. TG16, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, NES, etc. Probably the best emulation of these games available, as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#25 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Who the hell is voting for N64 ? That thing was fantastic (including the games on it). I'll go with NES because Ninja Gaiden made me feel bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@faizanhd:

It was the era Nintendo truly lost a lot of 3rd party support.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I voted Gameboy but this was actually a pretty difficult poll, every system has some merit to it at least.

@Heirren said:

TG16, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, NES, etc. Probably the best emulation of these games available, as well.

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I voted Gamecube cuz it was the first nintendo console I didn't buy

I had nes/snes/n64 all the gameboys and i even played my friends virtual boy

IMO gamecube was the begining of the downfall for nintendo where i was like no i don't want that

every other thing i loved i got back on board wiht the wii and i even kinda like the wiiU an 3ds

Gamecube for me is the one where i was like what the heck are u doing nintendo no i dont want that it was the first one for me anyway i know its loved by many people but im not those people

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Virtual boy, Wii and gamecube

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Wii, hated that Wiimote and sold the system about 4-5 months after buying it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@SapSacPrime said:

I voted Gameboy but this was actually a pretty difficult poll, every system has some merit to it at least.

@Heirren said:

TG16, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, NES, etc. Probably the best emulation of these games available, as well.

Nope.

What makes you say that? It is very easy to set up, works easily with CRT, and has hardwired controller support. Emulating these consoles in higher resolutions doesn't make much sense as the displays create lag. Forgot to mention the native gamecube play.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I voted for the GameCube simply for that damned controller. They went from square, to round, to this???? It was like a controller for a Klingon drone.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Wii and gamecube.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

got to be the Gamecube

No.

@FoxbatAlpha

Look at your 360/XOne controller. Now look at the Gamecube controller. The Layouts piratically the same and yet.....The Gamecube Controller is......"awful"???

With that said. It's kind of hard for me to decide. Wii and WiiU have games I love, but they're both pretty weak in offerings.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

3DS.

I had fun with the system. RE: Revelations and Kid Icarus being the highlights, but the amount of games that did absolutely nothing for me were staggering. Not to mention I haven't touched it in ages, except for checking out that one weird game I bought, and played for about an hour.

Nice, little eshop titles though, but besides that. It's a dust gatherer with a library that doesn't do much for me.

WiiU is kinda in the same boat, but the games that are there, I like more, than the ones offered by the troisds

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#37 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I've only ever owned a Wii U, so I didn't vote.

It's tough, because I want to say Wii, but the financial success of the Wii was probably a big help to Nintendo.

But it was a pretty awful system. I hate the Wii-mote.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@freedomfreak: How sad that you would dismiss Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Both Monster Hunter 3 and 4 Ultimate, Persona Q, and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

Not to mention going back for the Best version of Tales of Abyss or the Wonderfully crafted Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

You're too quick to dismiss the 3DS.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

11% voted for the NES? It was the console that introduced the dpad we all have come to love. Not to mention games like, Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Punchout!, The Legend of Zelda, Contra, Duck Hunt, Castlevania, Mega Man, among others. I can still play those games. I feel like Nintendo dipped off around the Wii and it has carried over to the Wii U.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

Well, other than the obvious Virtual Boy, I'd have to say GameBoy Color. Admittedly, I've never had one, or even played one for that matter. I've no hard feelings against it, but it's just that I've enjoyed every other Nintendo system I've played and don't want to put one of those systems down. I never had an original GameBoy for that matter but I used to play my friend's GameBoy when I'd visit. GameBoy Color is the only Nintendo system I've never played any games from. There's some games from it on the 3DS eShop but I've no real interest in anything that's available. The games seem too dated for me to get into now and I've no real experience with them to pull on my nostalgia heartstrings.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

How sad that you would dismiss Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Both Monster Hunter 3 and 4 Ultimate, Persona Q, and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

Not to mention going back for the Best version of Tales of Abyss or the Wonderfully crafted Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

You're too quick to dismiss the 3DS.

I tried getting into Awakening multiple times, but it couldn't pull me in. I forgot about SMTIV, due to Atlus taking half a decade to localize their shit to Yurop. I didn't like the EO demo at all. That kind of dungeon crawling can climb right up a tree. Monster Hunter and its control scheme can eat my dick. Persona Q shares the same "blehness" as EO.

Kingdom Hearts looks cool, but like hell that will change my perception of the 3DS. I own Layton, and that's cool, I guess, but it doesn't wow me, really. Phoenix Wright is something I still need to check out, but I'm waiting for a sale/pricedrop, which could take ages on a Nintendo platform.

And Tales of the Abyss is not available where I live, so I'll have to Amazon it, and I honestly don't care about it that much. Plus I still got Vesperia to work through.

So, as you can see, I'm not quick to dismiss the 3DS.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The worst 2 are then NES and Wii, but the NES was a lot better than the Wii. The Wii had a handful of good games, and handful of excellent games, and a whole lot of garbage. It was the worst.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22658 Posts

Personally, the wii... It wasn't only the least engaging set up for a console (the nunchuk idea was just pure awful for an old school guy like me) , but it had very few games that warrented the purchase of the console and it threw the gaming world off its axis, chasing a trend in motion gaming that we shouldve never been chasing...

One could say the existence and paper champion success of the wii also degraded the xbox 360 and ps3.... As those two idiots allocated resources towards copying it's shittiness. The wii was just bad... But boy did wii sports captivate us all! :/

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Definitely the Wii, despite having some of the best games from its generation (super mario galaxy all the way) it had serious droughts, and the controllers were an issue in a lot of games, i mean even if the WiiU is having a rough time as of now, at least it gives you a lot of options.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22658 Posts

Also, if you're voting for the NES, it's because you weren't old enough to experience the console.. There is absolutely no conceivable way that the NES was a failure.... Its arguably the most important console in gaming history and it still has an amazing, PLAYABLE library of content.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

If we're taking the VirtualBoy out of the mix, then it has to be the Wii. The Wii was very successful, but in the end, I think history will judge it as a videogame machine that almost completely didn't take the needs and desires of gamers into account. Nintendo may as well have made a dishwasher that ended up selling very well. In terms of gaming, it had almost as much relevance and even fell short on the promises to introduce new people to gaming because they all went to tablets and smart phones instead of consoles when the dust settled.

The Wii was a stop-gap to other devices that would go on to make an even bigger impact with the casualcore in the grand scheme of things. It's success served as a big distraction for the other console makers and even led to the downfall of another brand chasing their vision and stuffing a motion control device in every box like the Wii did. The Nintendo image among core gamers was damaged, as can be seen with the flagging of the WiiU despite it having much better software than the Wii ever did.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Seeing as how the Virtual Boy isn't on that list if you DIDN'T choose the Wii U you're a god damn moron and should quit gaming. Any Nintendo fan who's been gaming since the NES hell any gamer who's been around that long can't look at that pathetic machine as anything other than an embarrassment. It lost 3rd Party support even before the competition arrived.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LegatoSkyheart

@TheEroica: I can't consider a System that has Castlevania, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 The Manhatten Project, and Contra or Life Force, or STAR TROPICS a failure.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@locopatho said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@locopatho said:

It does to me. Not including last gen ports for either though, I guess if someone hadn't played Batman, Mass Effect, Tekken, etc on 7th gen consoles then WiiU looks better.

I could go full "List War" but blah, who cares, my opinion don't matter to you :P

At this point, the Wii had

• Twilight Princess
  • Super Paper Mario
  • WarioWare
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Zack and Wiki
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Smash

The Wii U has

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • Smash
  • MH3U
  • ZombiU
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Captain Toad
  • DKC: Tropical Freeze
  • Shovel Knight
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • NSMBU/NSLBU
  • Rayman Legends
  • The Wonderful 101

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was a better game than anything on the Wii U list, but the quantity of quality titles on the U makes it very hard for me to say the Wii was better at this point in its lifespan.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LegatoSkyheart

@freedomfreak: Yeah, you just have poor taste. Yikes.