What is the worst Nintendo console in your opinion?

• 88 results
Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#51 Edited by storm_of_swords (2267 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@storm_of_swords: The thing with GoldenEye, it was good then, but absolute gutter trash now, it didn't stand the test of time in any way, shape or form.

I disagree. I played it with some friends within the past two months and it is still incredibly fun! It's still my favorite FPS to play. There is nothing better than playing proximity mines in the Facility!

#52 Posted by DocSanchez (4641 posts) -

The Wii. It was lame, and people are now admitting it whereas at the time they were incredibly defensive.

It was popular with non gamers as a craze but the handful of good games for it where nearly entirely ruined by crappy motion controls that nobody wanted. It started this downward spiral for Nintendo where their fans openly claim graphics don't matter even though they very much did matter in all their previous consoles. Basically, it was when Nintendo started going the cheap route.

Worst console I've ever owned by a country mile.

NES was great for its time. Best is the SNES, because of that library which is pretty hard to beat even today. N64 had a stupid controller and the GC, which had a decent library, also had a gimmicky, nonsense controller but thankfully that didn't seem to affect the games too much. Wii U was another pile of crap. Switch, jury is out, I maintain there will be big droughts even though they've once again promised there wont be but at least it's got some decent games and a controller to play them on which doesn't get in the way.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#53 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5349 posts) -

Wii U out of the ones I've played, though I still enjoy it enough.

#54 Posted by Megavideogamer (6374 posts) -

The worst Nintendo console is the Nintendo Wii U which only sold 13.5 million. Struggled since it debuted Sept 18th 2012 to its January 31 2017 discontinuation. Only ending up with a library of about 150 Disc based games. Only 10 were truly awesome.

But if one considers the Virtual boy to be a videogame console? despite having the "boy" suffix, like the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Game Advance SP, and the ill fated GBA micro. The Nintendo Virtual boy wasn't portable. You could not play it on the Subway or on a Plane. So it is Nintendo's Bastard console selling only 700,000 and 22 games released. After 10 years on the retail market Virtual boy died. 1995 is the only year for the VB.

Since the Nintendo Switch is a Home console and a Portable console. It could be argued that Nintendo thought of the Virtual Boy as both Home and portable "console"

So it is the Wii U or Virtual boy depending on if they are a videogame console, or Gaming device/Gaming machine? The Nintendo Switch is both. but Nintendo worst outing the Virtual boy could be considered as the other hybrid the failed. Even the Wii U kind was in theory. You could play games up to 50 feet away from the main Wii U unit.

#55 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8146 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Which can only be a good thing at this point because, as I keep saying, "hardcore" gamers are bigots. They've been reminding me so far of those in the far ends of their preferred political spectrum.

Hardcore gamers are bigots? :-S

#56 Edited by nintendoboy16 (34855 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Which can only be a good thing at this point because, as I keep saying, "hardcore" gamers are bigots. They've been reminding me so far of those in the far ends of their preferred political spectrum.

Hardcore gamers are bigots? :-S

You heard (read) me. And how?

-They have problems when certain companies go this route (Nintendo with the Wii, which is ironic because they weren't really THERE with the "hardcore" N64 and GCN either, so why they melted down with the Wii, I have no clue)

-They have problems when games aim to go this route with even MERE AVOIDABLE options of games to make them easier, despite still not getting the rewards (Super guide in SMG2 and DKCR and white tanooki suit in Mario 3D World, which got a bullshit video from Cinemassacre's Mike Matei).

-And most importantly, they hate the "casual" gamer and how they're apparently "ruining" their games.

#57 Posted by clone01 (27178 posts) -

Virtual Boy, no question.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#58 Posted by drummerdave9099 (3677 posts) -

I think the N64's library is too good to call it the worst.

WiiU is the easy answer for me, although the games on WiiU will age better than the Wii.

I enjoyed some games on WiiU, but really lost interest in it and ended up selling it 2 years after its release.

#59 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6659 posts) -

The n64 was too revolutionary to be their worst. the wiiu is their worst, even though it has a lot of features in it the xbox one and the ps4 wish it had.

#60 Edited by Needhealing (1566 posts) -

Honestly, Wii. I've never been so disappointed by a console after buying it. It was such a gimmick that I barely played through it. Eventually sold it, it was weird because I got one at launch. I didn't even get a ps3 or 360 at launch. To me the worst thing was again the gimmick which wore off, graphics were pretty dated and although it featured some amazing nintendo games like Galaxy, otherwise the others were meh. At least the gamecube featured some of my favorite games of all time, Resident evil 4, MEtroid Prime, Eternal Darkness and Wind Waker.

Edit: I never got the WiiU so it's probably the worst, but I won't push my opinion since it's the only Nintendo console I never bothered to buy.

#61 Edited by pelvist (7024 posts) -

Not including handheld I have owned every Nintendo console except for the VBoy and Switch. Gamecube was my least favorite and though I wasnt a fan of the Wii either, that console got a lot of use from my wife and daughter.

#62 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8146 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Oh, okay. I thought you meant hard-core gamers are Trump supporters or something. :-P

#63 Posted by uninspiredcup (27054 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Trick question, everyone knows it's the Virtual Boy!

^ Yea, pretty obv

Got the Gameboy creator fired if memory serves.

#64 Edited by storm_of_swords (2267 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: I wouldn't say so. I'd say more people would go with the SNES to be honest. I think you're going to find very different answers though depending on who you ask. For me, SNES library is far better than the N64 library.

Mario Kart 64 isn't very good. The track design is fairly bad for the most part and the mechanics aren't as tight as they could be. Outside of Mario Kart Wii, it's probably the worst in the series in my opinion. :(

You don't like Mario Kart 64 or Goldeneye 007? Those are, in my opinion, two of the top 3 most fun multiplayer games of all time to play with a group of friends. My friends and I played these games constantly for many years and it provided some of my greatest gaming memories. We still love to go back and replay these games whenever we have a chance to get together under one roof.

Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart game in my opinion. I think that it has some of the best tracks in the series, it has a great sense of speed, and it's battle mode is by far the best battle mode ever. And I would still choose to play Goldeneye 007 over any FPS game that came after it. No other FPS game has a multiplayer mode that is as fun as Goldeneye 007 on the N64 in my opinion.

#65 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20000 posts) -

Wii U, without question.

#66 Posted by MarioFan264 (989 posts) -

Setting aside Virtual Boy - which I never had - it has got to be the Wii. The Wii was Nintendo's weakest output in terms of the quality of games and most of the titles were messed up even further by being forced to use the gimmicky motion control which rarely ever actually added anything worthwhile to games.

I look at the Wii and see it as a big example of gimmickry put over substance.

At least the Wii U has great games to its name. Some of which people have swept out of their mind because they ended up being released on the Switch as well (BoTW and Mario Kart 8). The Wii U is actually pretty high in my mind. While there was still gimmickry, it wasn't forced on me like the Wii. The Pro Controller was implemented so much better than the alternate controllers for the Wii, and allowed me to at least navigate from the menu to my game, which the Wii could not without motion control.

#67 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (4335 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic:

Virtual Boy all the way. Nothing else comes close to that.

#68 Posted by thecreechxxx (741 posts) -

I'm going to exclude Virtual Boy. So the worst is the WiiU. No Nintendo console has been all bad, that includes the WiiU. However, with a lot of the best games coming to the Switch the WiiU really doesn't have a lot to offer. It is almost a prototype for the Switch. The Switch is everything the WiiU should have been. I own a WiiU and I didn't hate it. Being the worst console from Nintendo is still not too bad.

#69 Posted by osan0 (15090 posts) -

just considering the main consoles (no virtual boy) and if i was limited to only the games released for that system i think the one i would be least likely to get would be the nes and the N64.

both brought about huge leaps. both contain games that are revolutionary. but i think (with the N64 especially) both have not aged well. the N64 in particular would be a tough pill to swallow today. the games ran at a low framerate. the controller was a bit of a mess (they kind of overcomplicated a very simple problem). the visuals, though a massive leap at the time, have not held up well. the games, though an absolutely huge deal at the time and did a lot of work in showing other devs how to make games work in 3D, have been bettered by quite a bit since.

i didnt really play the N64s finest until after the GC. wind waker was my first 3D zelda. sunshine was my first 3D mario platformer. the likes of m64 and OOT are great and revolutionary and should still be played by everyone but i just dont think they play as well today compared to other games in those series now.

if i could only have 1 zelda game it would be alltp or BOTW. if i could only have 1 mario platformer it would be galaxy or world (snes). 1 kart: MK8 or DS. 1 metroid: prime 1. there isnt an N64 instance of a game that i would choose over every other version. same with the NES also.

#70 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9612 posts) -

If we aren't counting the Virtual Boy, I think it has to be the Wii. I think a case could be made for the Wii U, but it just has more excellent games than the Wii does, imo. It also displays at a resolution that doesn't make your eyes hurt on non-tube televisions.

#71 Posted by VFighter (3406 posts) -

@storm_of_swords: You can disagree all you want, but trying to control a fps (that's not og doom or a doom clone) with one analog stick is worse then sniffing a Taco Bell addicts underwear on a hot summer day. It was ok at the time, but the N64 controller (and for the same reason the Dreamcast controller) wasnt meant for that genre at all!!

#72 Posted by appariti0n (2428 posts) -

Definitely the Wii.

480p and stupid motion controls for casuals. Yay.

#73 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34855 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@nintendoboy16: Oh, okay. I thought you meant hard-core gamers are Trump supporters or something. :-P

Oh hell no! Not at all.

#74 Edited by cainetao11 (34582 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Wii U - Gave me Bayonetta 2 so can't complain that much. Also enjoyed Windwaker HD"

I am not saying you have done this or said this to me I repeat, I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE SAID THIS TO ME, but you have just stated that due to one game, just one, that you can't complain much about a platform.

I am a Halo fan. It's my favorite series, I read the books, comics, play the games and stay in touch with Halo lore community members. I have been told on this forum its stupid to support a platform for one game. I've noticed there are different scrutinizations applied to the Xbox however.

#75 Edited by nintendoboy16 (34855 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Wii U - Gave me Bayonetta 2 so can't complain that much. Also enjoyed Windwaker HD"

I am not saying you have done this or said this to me I repeat, I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE SAID THIS TO ME, but you have just stated that due to one game, just one, that you can't complain much about a platform.

I am a Halo fan. It's my favorite series, I read the books, comics, play the games and stay in touch with Halo lore community members. I have been told on this forum its stupid to support a platform for one game. I've noticed there are different securitizations applied to the Xbox however.

Double standards, I'm afraid.

#76 Posted by m_machine024 (15759 posts) -

I consider my WiiU is the ultimate Smash machine with some extras. So easily the worst for me.

Didn't feel the tablet controller, which was barely used by Nintendo themselves and 3rd party (beside Ubisoft).

#77 Posted by ThotDestroyer (5 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: @SolidGame_basic:The boi, our boi, the one and only Virtual Boi

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#78 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22937 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

I am a Halo fan. It's my favorite series, I read the books, comics, play the games and stay in touch with Halo lore community members. I have been told on this forum its stupid to support a platform for one game. I've noticed there are different scrutinizations applied to the Xbox however.

You do you man. I'm all about games. I bought a Gameboy color recently so I can play Metal Gear Ghost Babel haha.

#79 Posted by mojito1988 (3007 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:
@mojito1988 said:

For me it was the N64. All of the other Consoles for Nitendo had a good amount of games that I enjoyed. Only three games I really loved on N64 was Zelda, Banjo, and Mario 64.

N64 had a ton of AA/AAA exclusives.

OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok, Turok 2, Star Fox 64, etc.

I agree it had games, just not game I cared about.

The Wii U a system that most people hated, had two of my favorite games of all time on it:

Xenoblade Chronicles X and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker!

A few games that I LOVE can make all the difference for me.

#80 Posted by cainetao11 (34582 posts) -

@mojito1988: I agree it had games, just not game I cared about.

The Wii U a system that most people hated, had two of my favorite games of all time on it:

A few games that I LOVE can make all the difference for me"

That really ends any debate when it comes to entertainment.

I couldn't care less how many AA/AAAE games the N64 had. I didn't own one and am not going to play them now.

I like what I like.

#81 Edited by onesiphorus (2386 posts) -

The Virtualboy.

#82 Posted by storm_of_swords (2267 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@storm_of_swords: You can disagree all you want, but trying to control a fps (that's not og doom or a doom clone) with one analog stick is worse then sniffing a Taco Bell addicts underwear on a hot summer day. It was ok at the time, but the N64 controller (and for the same reason the Dreamcast controller) wasnt meant for that genre at all!!

I've spent a lot of time playing FPS games with a N64 controller and I've never had a problem with it. I didn't have a problem with it back in 1997 and I still don't have a problem with it now in 2017. The only people that I've seen that had a problem with it are people that don't have much experience using a N64 controller.

In fact, I love using the N64 controller for FPS games since it has the Z-Trigger which is my favorite single button in the history of video game controllers and feels so satisfying to press in shooters like Goldeneye 007.

#83 Edited by xantufrog (9166 posts) -

The Wii U seems like it wins by default, but I'll go with N64 to be edgy

#84 Posted by Vaidream45 (1007 posts) -

As far as when it came out I would say the Wii U. However if we are talking about what Nintendo console I like the least now it would be the N64. I can’t go back to the N64/ps1 beginning of 3d phase of gaming. Once PS2/gamecube came around they started figuring it out. SNES would be my favorite era but Switch is giving it a run. Wii U is fantastic now. Glad I own one now. Such good games.

#85 Posted by Chrome- (1743 posts) -

Probably WiiU, I had fun with BOTW Bayonetta and the few mario games but otherwise I don't have much memory of the console, even smash wasn't as fun, hated the xenoblade sequel. Best console was the Wii for me, SMG1+2, Xenoblade, Last Story, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Brawl. etc.

#86 Posted by mojito1988 (3007 posts) -

@Chrome- said:

Probably WiiU, I had fun with BOTW Bayonetta and the few mario games but otherwise I don't have much memory of the console, even smash wasn't as fun, hated the xenoblade sequel. Best console was the Wii for me, SMG1+2, Xenoblade, Last Story, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Brawl. etc.

Xenoblade X was not a sequel. Odd that so many people fail to realize that it was not even trying to be anything like Xenoblade. One is story driven. The other is open world sandbox. The sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles is Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

#87 Posted by mojito1988 (3007 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:

@mojito1988: I agree it had games, just not game I cared about.

A few games that I LOVE can make all the difference for me"

That really ends any debate when it comes to entertainment.

I couldn't care less how many AA/AAAE games the N64 had. I didn't own one and am not going to play them now.

I like what I like.

Exactly. Gaming is very personal. Each person likes what they like. There is zero objective truth in what system is the best. It is all personal taste.

@Chrome- said:

Xenoblade X was not a sequel. Odd that so many people fail to realize that it was not even trying to be anything like Xenoblade. One is story driven. The other is open world sandbox. The sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles is Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

#88 Posted by JumpAction (6757 posts) -

@storm_of_swords: Well everyone feels differently and that's okay. :)

Yes, personally Mario Kart 64 is near my least Mario Kart next to Mario Kart Wii and I don't think Goldeneye is a good game. I don't like how it plays compared to shooters of its era or modern shooters, especially on PC.