What is the worst Nintendo console in your opinion?

• 88 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (23186 posts) -

Here are my thoughts...

NES/SNES - can't touch this, god tier
N64- one of my favorites growing up, lots of fun party games
Gamecube - Melee is my all time favorite Smash entry. Resident Evil 4 (I bought a GC just for it).
Wii - Never got into Wii until much later. Still didn't get much into it.
Wii U - Gave me Bayonetta 2 so can't complain that much. Also enjoyed Windwaker HD.
Switch - becoming god tier for me, playing it a lot

I kinda have to say Wii, even though the Mario Galaxy games were great. I just could never really get into that console. Could be the gimmicks along with trying to play those games on an HD tv which made them look weird.

#2 Edited by DaVillain- (31835 posts) -

Trick question, everyone knows it's the Virtual Boy!

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (31835 posts) -

@metalboi said:

N64 by a LOT.

But the N64 has Goldeneye!

#6 Posted by mojito1988 (3236 posts) -

For me it was the N64. All of the other Consoles for Nitendo had a good amount of games that I enjoyed. Only three games I really loved on N64 was Zelda, Banjo, and Mario 64.

#7 Posted by judaspete (2579 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Trick question, everyone knows it's the Virtual Boy!

Yeah, that's true. But for home consoles, I think I have to go with the NES. It's good, has many important and iconic games, but there are a lot that just don't hold up.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#8 Edited by storm_of_swords (2445 posts) -

The Wii was my least favorite primarily because forced waggle controls ruined many of the Wii's best games. This was the only generation where the Nintendo console was not my favorite console of the generation; the Xbox 360 was my favorite this generation.

My overall ranking of Nintendo consoles from best to worst would be:

1. N64

2. SNES

3. NES

4. Gamecube

5. Wii U

6. Wii

It's too early to rank the Switch yet, but I think that it is off to an excellent start and if it continues to have more great years like 2017 then it will probably end up as one of my top favorites.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#9 Edited by storm_of_swords (2445 posts) -

@mojito1988 said:

For me it was the N64. All of the other Consoles for Nitendo had a good amount of games that I enjoyed. Only three games I really loved on N64 was Zelda, Banjo, and Mario 64.

No love for Goldeneye 007? Did you miss out on the experience of playing Goldeneye 007 with a group of friends?

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (25757 posts) -

Despite having some great games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and some games by Rare I would have to say that the N64 has been the worst console from Nintendo.

#11 Edited by Xabiss (1963 posts) -

N64 then Wii/WiiU

#12 Posted by UssjTrunks (11280 posts) -

From best to worst:

1. SNES

2. N64

3. Gamecube

4. NES

5. Wii

6. Wii U

Switch is too new to judge, but it's looking to be a top-3 contender so far.

#13 Edited by UssjTrunks (11280 posts) -
@mojito1988 said:

N64 had a ton of AA/AAA exclusives.

OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok, Turok 2, Star Fox 64, etc.

#14 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8185 posts) -

The GameCube imo far and away. Silly controller, silly little discs and trying to get that pick up and play feel to compete, because Nintendo thought that's what made PS popular. It was a transition console for Nintendo really and also a panicked reaction to PS. But Nintendo games before that had something, you can criticize N64 all you want, but in terms of quality, the Nintendo and Rare games on the N64, pretty much blew near anything on the GameCube away.

There was also no good reason for the fisher price controller design either, it served no purpose, other than to say, 'no we don't want one of the greatest 2D fighters in Capcom Vs SNK 2 to work well'. At least you can see what Nintendo was trying to do with the N64 controller, introducing new features that wasn't common at the time.

I was a hardcore, super hardcore Nintendo fanboy up until the GameCube and they pushed me over to the Xbox. At least with the Wii, Nintendo was coming into their own with something and making it work, it still wasn't quite for me, but I'll play Wii games before I'd play most GC games.

#15 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (5879 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

The GameCube imo far and away. Silly controller, silly little discs and trying to get that pick up and play feel to compete, because Nintendo thought that's what made PS popular. It was a transition console for Nintendo really and also a panicked reaction to PS. But Nintendo games before that had something, you can criticize N64 all you want, but in terms of quality, the Nintendo and Rare games on the N64, pretty much blew near anything on the GameCube away.

There was also no good reason for the fisher price controller design either, it served no purpose, other than to say, 'no we don't want one of the greatest 2D fighters in Capcom Vs SNK 2 to work well'. At least you can see what Nintendo was trying to do with the N64 controller, introducing new features that wasn't common at the time.

I was a hardcore, super hardcore Nintendo fanboy up until the GameCube and they pushed me over to the Xbox. At least with the Wii, Nintendo was coming into their own with something and making it work, it still wasn't quite for me, but I'll play Wii games before I'd play most GC games.

Blasphemy.

The Wii U is by far the worst. In design, power and games library.

The GameCube had almost every game available on the Xbox and PS2 but also had its own exclusives, the Prime series and even games like Eternal Darkness along with having Resident Evil 4 exclusive for a year. The GameCube was the last competitive console that Nintendo made. The Wii may have been the most financially successful but ever since Iwata took over Nintendo just took a left and abandoned the core gaming audience forcing them to be a multi-console house hold in order to get Nintendo exclusives.

#16 Posted by Litchie (22282 posts) -

The Virtual Boy, of course.

From the good consoles?
Hmm.... Possibly the Wii U for me. Wasn't the biggest fan of the Wii either, since its' gimmicky controls hurt the gameplay sometimes and they focused more on minigames rather than epic shit, but it had a bit more good games than Wii U.

GameCube is the best. Can only be beat by the Switch, maybe in the future. So far, so good.

#17 Posted by Sgt_Crow (5906 posts) -

The Wii was their most dissapointing console for me.
I played on my 360 way more.

The Wii U was a failure in many ways, but it got me back into Nintendo games and I think it's a really underrated console.

#18 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

NES/SNES-SUCKS

N64-Saved by Golden Eye and Perfect Dark

Gamecube- Saved by RE games

Wii-SUCKS

Wii U-SUCKS

Switch- SUCKS BIG TIME

#19 Posted by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: I thought Golden Eye was a bad game. I didn't play it when it was first released. I played it last generation for the first time. It's really quite poor...

#20 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: I thought Golden Eye was a bad game. I didn't play it when it was first released. I played it last generation for the first time. It's really quite poor...

For that period it was epic awesome. I never owned N64 but played Golden Eye, Perfect Dark via emaluation on PC. Solid Shooters :)

#21 Edited by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: I am more willing to assert it was always bad but that the standards for console shooters were just extremely low. :P

Quake II for instance is still totally playable. Games that are bad now, were usually bad to begin with. Standards grow but truly good games are still totally playable now.

#22 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: I am more willing to assert it was always bad but that the standards for console shooters were just extremely low. :P

Quake II for instance is still totally playable. Games that are bad now, were usually bad to begin with. Standards grow but truly good games are still totally playable now.

Ahhh! How goes your DOOM on Switch? My freinds praising it highly on Switch :)

#23 Posted by superbuuman (6314 posts) -

Wii U

#24 Posted by DoroG1995 (1998 posts) -

Why so many Wii haters ? Wii is better than GC because you can play all GC games on it.(Plus some good Wii games)

#25 Posted by Ghosts4ever (7361 posts) -

NES/SNES suck and were overrated. sega genesis/mega drive was much better console. and have more quality games.

n64 have one of the most overrated game of all time that is goldeneye. that game only got praised because there were not FPS on console that time otherwise game suck compare to PC FPS of that time.

nintendo is overrated company. i never even got into nintendo games when i was young let alone now.

#26 Posted by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I've been too busy with other games (Nioh on PC, Stardew Valley and Thimbleweed Park on Switch).

Anyway my least favorite Nintendo system is the N64. The only games I still really enjoy from it are the two Zelda titles, Starfox 64, Paper Mario and Mario 64.

#27 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I've been too busy with other games (Nioh on PC, Stardew Valley and Thimbleweed Park on Switch).

Anyway my least favorite Nintendo system is the N64. The only games I still really enjoy from it are the two Zelda titles, Starfox 64, Paper Mario and Mario 64.

Ahhh! Played Mario Kart on the 64 only. I guess from general opinion 64 is suppose to be BEST Nintedo console of all time.

#28 Edited by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: I wouldn't say so. I'd say more people would go with the SNES to be honest. I think you're going to find very different answers though depending on who you ask. For me, SNES library is far better than the N64 library.

Mario Kart 64 isn't very good. The track design is fairly bad for the most part and the mechanics aren't as tight as they could be. Outside of Mario Kart Wii, it's probably the worst in the series in my opinion. :(

#29 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: I wouldn't say so. I'd say more people would go with the SNES to be honest.

Mario Kart 64 isn't very good. The track design is fairly bad for the most part and the mechanics aren't as tight as they could be. Outside of Mario Kart Wii, it's probably the worst in the series in my opinion. :(

No idea about SNES at all. Only know about people praising 64 very much for its library. Mario 64 was okay from what i've played.

#30 Posted by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: Super Mario 64 is really good. It has a great move set, generally fun levels and it still plays very well compared to contemporary Mario games. The problem with the N64 is, personally, I feel it's a game that gets skates by in that for its time, it had a good library. Play many of these games retroactively and the games weren't really all that good. For what it's worth, I don't think Ocarina of Time is as good as many others. I really like it, but it was never as good as Link's Awakening or Link to the Past.

Basically the N64 has lots of games that either had better prequels or better sequels. There are very few games on the N64 library that are still individualistically good like Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and Paper Mario (Which one could argue that The Thousand Year Door is better...)

Considering it followed the SNES but lost all the Square Enix support, had little support from Capcom, Konami or a follow up to the excellent Super Metroid; I feel N64 is a system fondly remembered but not much else. :/

That's just my take. There are many enjoyable games on N64 but I feel other Nintendo systems simply have more.

#31 Posted by ocinom (920 posts) -

Wii U is the worst

#32 Posted by nygamespotter (511 posts) -

Definitely the Wii.

#33 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: Super Mario 64 is really good. It has a great move set, generally fun levels and it still plays very well compared to contemporary Mario games. The problem with the N64 is, personally, I feel it's a game that gets skates by in that for its time, it had a good library. Play many of these games retroactively and the games weren't really all that good. For what it's worth, I don't think Ocarina of Time is as good as many others. I really like it, but it was never as good as Link's Awakening or Link to the Past.

Basically the N64 has lots of games that either had better prequels or better sequels. There are very few games on the N64 library that are still individualistically good like Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and Paper Mario (Which one could argue that The Thousand Year Door is better...)

Considering it followed the SNES but lost all the Square Enix support, had little support from Capcom, Konami or a follow up to the excellent Super Metroid; I feel N64 is a system fondly remembered but not much else. :/

That's just my take. There are many enjoyable games on N64 but I feel other Nintendo systems simply have more.

After discussion with you i went forum hunting to tally your opinion , yeah you are right SNES is more popular over N64.i'm also guessing every SNES games were playable on Wii too?

#34 Posted by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: Not all of them but many of them. Some, like Earthbound, on Wii U too.

the SNES games just play way better than the N64 games do. Now PC gaming during that era was great and there are many PS1 and N64 games that still play very well too.

#35 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: Not all of them but many of them. Some, like Earthbound, on Wii U too.

the SNES games just play way better than the N64 games do. Now PC gaming during that era was great and there are many PS1 and N64 games that still play very well too.

Personally i prefer PS 1 titles ( most got ported to PC as well). Uber awesome till date besides dated graphics lol. Parasite Eve 1-2, Vagrant Story, RE 1-3, Dino Crisis 1-2, Chrono Cross/Trigger, Final Fantasy upto IX, MGS and many more lol.

#36 Posted by JumpAction (6762 posts) -

@indzman: I think generally speaking, outside of the Nintendo stuff, the PS1 had a stronger library. Simply put, PS1 had better third party support than N64. :P

#37 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@jumpaction said:

@indzman: I think generally speaking, outside of the Nintendo stuff, the PS1 had a stronger library. Simply put, PS1 had better third party support than N64. :P

True Heh.

#38 Posted by VFighter (3782 posts) -

@storm_of_swords: The thing with GoldenEye, it was good then, but absolute gutter trash now, it didn't stand the test of time in any way, shape or form.

#39 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8185 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Blasphemy.

The GameCube had almost every game available on the Xbox and PS2 but also had its own exclusives, the Prime series and even games like Eternal Darkness along with having Resident Evil 4 exclusive for a year. The GameCube was the last competitive console that Nintendo made. The Wii may have been the most financially successful but ever since Iwata took over Nintendo just took a left and abandoned the core gaming audience forcing them to be a multi-console house hold in order to get Nintendo exclusives.

When Nintendo home consoles REALLY mattered, the GameCube was the worst. When Nintendo was realising traditional home consoles weren't working for them anymore, sure, probably the Wii U was.

#40 Posted by UssjTrunks (11280 posts) -

@dorog1995: The Wii was just a repackaged Gamecube being sold for $300. 480p graphics in 2006 was inexcusable. The control scheme was a complete gimmick.

#41 Posted by SecretPolice (33780 posts) -

Wii.

#42 Posted by PSP107 (17202 posts) -

@metalboi: "but lacks in overall library compared to PS1,"

That doesn't make sense considering we're comparing Nintendo consoles. If we go that route, then PS2 destroyed GameCube in the library department.

"and it has that awful controller"

GameCube controller was awful

Anyway, that idiot solidgamebasic finally said something right. NES/SNES are pretty much in the god category.

N64 had a few Hall of Fame games but not enough to take on NES/SNES.

GC sucks. Wii wasn't for Mii. WiiU=PiiU

2 weeks ago, I got a chance to finally play the Switch. Yeah let me know when it's a $100.

#43 Edited by KungfuKitten (25826 posts) -

WiiU was the worst for me. The Wii had some problems too. I loved all the other ones but never had a NES/SNES. BTW I still got my money's worth out of my Wii and WiiU

#44 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (5760 posts) -

SNES

GameCube/N64

NES

Switch

Wii U

Wii

None of them are truly bad in my opinion. Some are just better than others.

#45 Posted by Gatygun (1163 posts) -

Wii-u, terrible architecture with extremely poor performance with it. which pushed devs already from the get go out of the window.

@UssjTrunks said:

@dorog1995: The Wii was just a repackaged Gamecube being sold for $300. 480p graphics in 2006 was inexcusable. The control scheme was a complete gimmick.

Not really 480p was the norm while HD was still getting introduced towards people at this stage.

#46 Posted by MirkoS77 (13278 posts) -

The Wii.

The legacy of that piece of garbage remains a curse on Nintendo to this day. Their constant desire to shove needless motion controls, so much so that it negatively impacts their games, is due to the Wii.

**** that system.

#47 Posted by Heirren (613 posts) -

Original model of the DS.

In fact I'd say the ds is the worst. The stylus control games were worse than any wiiu or wii gimmick.

#48 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35242 posts) -

Of what I played: Probably Wii and Wii U. But that's not saying a whole lot because I still like them (blasphemy, I know).

Overall: Virtual Boy.

#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35242 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Blasphemy.

Which can only be a good thing at this point because, as I keep saying, "hardcore" gamers are bigots. They've been reminding me so far of those in the far ends of their preferred political spectrum.

#50 Edited by Sam3231 (2438 posts) -

Wii. After having the previous 3 Nintendo consoles, I was really not amused with the Wii.