What is the worst decision ever made by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

Worst decision ever made by the big 3 regarding video games?

Nintendo - these 2 are tied IMO:

1) dumping Sony for the CD add on for the NES.

2) Virtual Boy

Sony - $599 US dollars

Microsoft - ???

kraidiation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kraidiation
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts

2) Virtual Boy

Sony - $599 US dollars

Microsoft - ???

AvIdGaMeR444
Microsoft: Windows ME
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
[QUOTE="kraidiation"] Microsoft: Windows ME

Yeah, ME sucked.

Nintendo's worst move was treating 3rd parties like crap in the SNES era.

Sony's worst move is the Playstation 3. The entire concept is just bogus.
abbismonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 abbismonster
Member since 2004 • 591 Posts
Nintendo's Worst Move: Not supporting the CD format. Hurt the n64 bad, hurt the gc worse. Sony's Worst Move: most likely the high pricepoint for the PS3 Microsoft's Worst Move: I would say the gigantic controller, they havent had much time to make too many bad decisions.
Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
Know your Nntendo History. It was an SNES add on. Nintendo re-read the contract and it stated that it gave Sony full rights to any character used for that plug-in (Imagine Sony Mario) So, Nintendo Dropped the Deal. The Virtual Boy only did bad because. A. It was rushed B. It was release just before the N64 C. It caused eye Damage. That I admitt was a mistake, So it's one mistake. M$ have made mistakes in the OS business but not the Console business (for now) only because they haven't been in that area for long.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
[QUOTE="kraidiation"] Microsoft: Windows MELilac_Benjie

Yeah, ME sucked.

Nintendo's worst move was treating 3rd parties like crap in the SNES era.

Sony's worst move is the Playstation 3. The entire concept is just bogus.

I had to live with ME for 5 years,  I could barely get starcraft to run with it.
justdog11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 justdog11
Member since 2004 • 3524 Posts

Nintendo: "we don't need CDs"= loss of FF main series.

Sony: PS3, and the sudden loss of third-party consideration "they need us, we don't need them" policy with pricey hardware and difficult expensive development kits.

Microsoft:  They've done everything right so far, even though I'm not a fan of them I admire their triumphs.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Nintendo: using cartridges on N64; Virtual boy; disregard to online gaming during Cube; and gaining a big ego around that time.

Sony: gaining a big ego that is costing them so far

Microsoft hasn't been in gaming long enough to make

Gears360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gears360
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts
Nintendo worst move: Easily cartridges for N64 that sole move cost them the war against PS1, Square soft abandoned them and the cost of manufacturing those carts were real high Sony worst move: PS3 price, no matter what you put on your console, blu ray, cell or whatever, it cant sell at 600 bucks Microsoft worst move: i havent seem them doing nothing particularly terrible so far, maybe the original xbox pad horrible design but it was fixed
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Nintendo: "we don't need CDs"= loss of FF main series.

Sony: PS3, and the sudden loss of third-party consideration "they need us, we don't need them" policy with pricey hardware and difficult expensive development kits.

Microsoft:  They've done everything right so far, even though I'm not a fan of them I admire their triumphs.

justdog11

No Microsoft has made a mistake and that was release the 360 months ahead of Australia in Japan. Alot of thing MS have done in Japan has not worked.

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#11 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts

Nintendo: refusing to use CD's in the N64/PSX era.

Sony: Blu-Ray/PS3 price, actually i can make a huge list.

Microsoft: not much so far, i guess pushing perfect dark zero until it was delayed to the 360. but that is all i can think of while videogames are concerned.

Sumotaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sumotaii
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

Nintendo - Letting that Phillips CDI system create Zelda games for it, haha if anyone back in the early 90's remember that, then of course letting Sony into the game. Virtual Boy was a disaster and the start of Nintys downfall in the mid 90's. R.I.P. to the creator of the Virtual Boy though..also the man behind Metroid.

Sony - To many promises that never come true. Im still waiting to make Pop Tarts with my PS2 guys. Trying to make PS3 a super computer when you can't even play StarCraft on it.

MicroSoft - Relying to much on the Halo series and not getting that jump start with the 360 that they spoke of so much, alot of there games they hyped so much to hit this past fall never made it out yet which kinda disappointed me. Coulda really put a dent on PS3 and Wii but they just showed up with Gears.

Twisted_Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Twisted_Hawk
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts

2) Virtual Boy

Sony - $599 US dollars

Microsoft - ???

AvIdGaMeR444
Microsoft would have to be getting a library of mainly military games that also appeared on the PS2. Now matter how strong a console it, it does not mean anything if it has next to no exclusives, especially since it was facing a huge fan base.
Quack_Attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Quack_Attack
Member since 2005 • 2562 Posts
Sony.
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#15 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts

Sony.Quack_Attack

LOL, that was a big mistake

wildmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 wildmatt
Member since 2003 • 1242 Posts
Nintendo: letting go sony for the CD addon, the whole not using disc for N64....they want disc on the SNES dammit!

Sony: the PS3, it's not the best how can I say this, not the best consumer freindly I guess, most people will see the price and won't buy it

Microsoft: one mistake right now is not having a bigger hard drive, seriously how can I fit all that **** on my 12gbs of space
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts
Nintendo - Cartridge format for the Nintendo 64.
Sony - Playstation 3 hype, lead-up and Price.
Microsoft - Xbox controller v1.0

raidenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 raidenseven
Member since 2005 • 3223 Posts
M$- core package
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
[QUOTE="Davis092"]The Virtual Boy only did bad because. C. It caused eye Damage.

Just 'cause of that? :P
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Nintendo's choice of cartridge instead of CD's. It cost them the genre of JRPGS's which cost them Japan, a whole lot of 3rd party support and was utterly the downfall for them for two straight gens.
Shadow_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shadow_op
Member since 2006 • 4566 Posts
Sony: Check the "Sony Dissapointment Timeline" Thread Nintendo: Crap Online MS: None so far :D
TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
Nintendo: Keeping Yamauchi at the head of the company, lunchbox-shaped console, horrible ideas like gameboy-console connectivity. Sony: being gigantic prix, using Cell and Blu-Ray. MS: Sending 1/3 of their original Xbox shipments to Japan :lol: Unexplainable incidence of faulty hardware.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Sony- They had to make PS3 expensive because they wanted it to be Multi-media which was a bad idea because if it wasn't that Multimedia it would have been  $400. loseing all those exlusives (they probably lost those because they didn't get the system out fast enough.

Wii- Letting CD- 1 get Zelda.

Microsoft-  Making X-box 1 more to make than to Sell.

Contelis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Contelis
Member since 2004 • 4903 Posts
Nintendo's biggest mistake was dropping Sony and using Matsushita instead. 
downPlayDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 downPlayDemon
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts

Nintendo - Dumping Sony.

Sony - Placing 1.87 Billion dollars on PS3 R+D(technology evolves over time anyway)

Microsoft - Not having a good manufaturing proccess for the xbox 1, wich lead to 4 billion in damages by the time 360 came out

TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TNT_Slug
Nintendo dropping Sony was not a mistake. Sony was out to screw them with the SNES disc drive. However, many of their decisions with N64 and GC were just horrible and led to disaster. They alienated the RPG user base and scared Squaresoft away. They wanted to use their own storage formats. They made a... friggin... purple... lunchbox.
RENE2315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RENE2315
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts
Microsoft- ZUNE
DrPepper1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DrPepper1998
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

2) Virtual Boy

Sony - $599 US dollars

Microsoft - ???

AvIdGaMeR444
Microsoft-Launching the Xbox too late.
WhoDey79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhoDey79
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
Nintendo - Using cartridges for the N64 instead of CDs Sony - The price for the PS3 Microsoft - The size of the original X-Box. That thing was huge http://www.3604free.com/index.php?ref=3756895
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#30 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
Nintendo: Ever bringing Sony IN on CD talks, forget about them just dropping the add-on Microsoft: Missing the mark so hard in Japan Sony: High PS3 price point / Handicapping Blu-Ray player sales
TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TNT_Slug
Microsoft- ZUNERENE2315
Lol, that's definitely a big one.
Felix_120192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Felix_120192
Member since 2003 • 360 Posts
Nintendo - Wii's video capabilities (add HD ffs, it doesnt have to be good, just hdd)
Sony - No unified Online (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)
Microsft - No motion for controllers, No HD-DVD (doesnt matter much tho) and THE ZUNE
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 echelon
Member since 2002 • 1199 Posts
Nintendo - Virtual Boy, Cartridges, Shunning third party support for N64 which carried over to GC.
Sony - Launching PS3 at $599 and $499
Microsoft - Rushing 360 which caused major shortages and lots of defects.

Nintendo has the most because they have been around the longest. Sony and Microsoft are going to have plenty before they are done.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Nintendo - Losing FF series, Virtual Boy, GC Sony - Adding Blu-ray drive to PS3 Microsoft - Three lights of death
DrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#35 DrHyde
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts
Nintendo: Stifling industry with cartridge format in consoles, alienating third party gamers during their peak, not reading the fine print sooner with Sony, Virtual Boy. Sony: General arrogance, CD rootkit fiasco, exploding batteries, worst PR department on planet, mismanagement with PS3. Microsoft: Original Xbox controller, lifespan of original Xbox cut short, rushing 360 lead to defects and shortages, not understanding that the idea of business is to actually profit from your products.
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Nintendo, well I think we all agree that they should have worked harder with Sony to find a way to bring the 32bit CD add on to the SNES.  They made a major mistake and a bad enemy on what they did and how they did it.  You just dont do that at a major, press filled, conference.  At least you dont do it and expect not to end up in a mjaor corprate and legal war.

Sony has made some really stupid mistakes in the past on games and in media in general.  In this case I'm gonna say it was a little of both that really bit them hard.  The attempt (yet again by Sony) to hearled in a new media format.  UMD.  Between buying the patents, setting up a complete distribution system, R&D so they could replace their near dead MiniDisc players with it, and R&D for using it on PSP's (and the R&D was in the tens of millions for PSP alone if I remember correctly), plus to top it all off they just had to DRM and limit user access to the point that nobody was willing to use it.  It's just a major loss of cash and it was just bad thinking since they make their own memory sticks and they could have just chose to go that route.  Drop MiniDisc, save on PSP battery use, and put the money saved on the UMD fab plant into covering the cost of larger mem sticks. 

MS well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a much older blunder in the video game market.  Back in the early 80's MS spent a great deal of cash to create the "MSX Standard" system design.  This was during the "great game crash of '83".  While the console market was in it's death throws.  The home computer market was starting to really boom all over the world in on fashion or another.  MS thought they had found a way to design a standard computer that any company could make their own version of and have a stable cross platform system that would sell because it was cheap and meant for games.  They spent millions on the project, and keep in mind that this was both in early 80's dollars and when MS wasnt the billion dollar giant it is today.  They were still trying to climb up the ladder with many other OS platforms so that loss of cash really hurt them in the long run because the had to close a number of projects down.  Out of a fully funded program with top of the line engineers, devlopers, and the deal made all over the world to deliver the parts needed to make this design, only one company ever made signed on.  They brought out a basic model and a delux model.  They just didnt sell well.  In fact only the basic model was sold in the U.S. and Europe.  And that was for about one year.  It sold in asia a bit longer, but died a very quiet deat.  The names of the systems were Spectravideo's SV-318 and SV-328.  It was a long shot, but a great concept.  If it had worked, then MS might very well have been the leader in the console wars of the late 80's and early 90's and Nintendo would have been stuck on the bottom with Sega, NEC and Atari.  Instead, it was a colossal waste of time, money and effort.  Still, MS never forgot about it.  They brought the whole concept back in a software form that is the basis of modern PC games, as well as the building blocks of their second attempt at the game market.  That's why they called it Direct "X".  ^_^

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
Nintendo - Cartridges. The N64 was great, but they lost their 3rd party support because of the format. Sony - Almost everything after E3 last year. Before that, they did little wrong. Microsoft - The short Xbox lifespan or the 360 shortages and defects... that's a toss-up.
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

Nintendo - cartridges

Sony - lies

MS - core 360

Sheepdisease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sheepdisease
Member since 2006 • 343 Posts
Nintendo - Sticking with cartridges for the n64 (Nintendo would've still had Square and other companies producing games for the system, since square had tech demos created for the system, yet they opted for the larger storage space of CDs).

Sony - Sticking blu ray into the console (IMO - since if they hadn't; the console would've been around the same price as the 360 and there'd be no doubt to which console was the winner of this gen. Also, because of blu ray; PS3 manufacturing is lagging greatly).

Microsoft - Possibly Vista? - Lack of EAX etc.
Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
[QUOTE="Davis092"]Know your Nntendo History. It was an SNES add on. Nintendo re-read the contract and it stated that it gave Sony full rights to any character used for that plug-in (Imagine Sony Mario) So, Nintendo Dropped the Deal. The Virtual Boy only did bad because. A. It was rushed B. It was release just before the N64 C. It caused eye Damage. That I admitt was a mistake, So it's one mistake. M$ have made mistakes in the OS business but not the Console business (for now) only because they haven't been in that area for long.

Nintendo dropped Sony for a reason, HELLO!!! >.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

-Nintendo-

Dropping Sony: to be simple, decision is possibly biggest reason why Sony Play Station was put into reality beyond SNES CD add-on. Needless to say, Nintendo created themselves foe when that happen and by doing so, possibly biggest reason why Nintendo went from being mainstream number 1 video game company in the world, to being 3rd in the console market place by worldwise scale in matter of 10 years.

Censorship of Mortal Kombat: it may have not been start of Nintendo having "kiddy image (some could debate it begin with whole issue Super Mario World vs. Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario vs. Sonic), however, it was turning point...if not one of the biggest at that point in time...in which Nintendo having "kiddy" image really begin to be something that matter to older gamers wanting games that appeal to their interest...

Release of the Virtual Boy: biggest flop in history of Nintendo.....enough said...

Cartridges for Nintendo 64: high price point, along with limitations of format possibly biggest reason why good amount of 3rd party support when to its rival competitor of Sony Play Station...and possibly one of the mains reasons why Sony gained number 1 spot in the market place that Nintendo had enjoyed previous 9 or 10 years...

mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
Nintendo - using carts for N64 Microsoft - faulty hardware.. I guess. Sony - PS3
mrboo15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrboo15
Member since 2006 • 2043 Posts
Microsoft - DVD9, none standard HDD in 360..
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

I am not sure if these our the "worst" decisions (I doubt it), however, this is what comes to mind...at least...as far as the "recent" stuff is concerned......

-Mircosoft-

Early storage of Xbox 360: While may not seem important at the moment due to the fact Xbox 360 currently is the market leader, I personally think Mircosoft could have had greater amount of sales, and therefore, better advatage at the current moment, if only on more of smaller scale, if that would have not been the case.

-Sony-

Price of PS3: While it may be too early to tell, and whether or not short-term damage will lead into long-term, if Sony is going to recovery from current battle they are facing and more importantly, return to its former glory from previous systems, needless to say, they are going to have rather difficult time doing so, due to, if nothing else, expensive price point of the machine. Honestly, if Sony's PS3 had, some how, been in the range of Xbox 360, I think we can all agree (well, most of us) that things would have probably been lot easier for Sony than they are at the current moment...

thenorminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thenorminator
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts

well if i remember correctly:

Nintendo- the games cost like $75(back in the mid-90s), too many kiddy games when Sony had blood and guts games thats what gamers wanted. games not on CDs, all the GREAT games were like a year plus apart when PS1 had fun games coming out every few weeks for far less money too

Sony- making Blu-ray standard IMHO it should have been an add-on making the PS3 the same price as x360. nothing else Sony did was too small to hurt them but they are still "King of Gaming"(this is coming from an x360 onwer)

MS- not having the games PS2 had. plus the BIG controller in Xbox

Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Camzo
Member since 2006 • 2142 Posts

2) Virtual Boy

Sony - $599 US dollars

Microsoft - ???

AvIdGaMeR444
Nintendo : The Power Glove and the Big Gun thing that went on your shoulder Microsoft : Windows ME Sony : Establishing
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts

Microsoft: Absolutely terrible support for Japan (ie no JRPGs) and not having a true must have game at launch. Mistake in the making: not taking full advantage of full year lead for 360.

Nintendo: The gamecube. The N64 may have been the start of their real slide to last place, but if they had released a compitent system after they could have recovered. The absolutely terrible controller (buttons poorly placed, too small), no DVDs and no 3rd party support after a couple of years. Mistake in the making: Not keeping developers to higher standards for the Wii (like Red Steel), not having a major system selling title.

Sony: Trying to do too much with the PS3. Mistake in the making: Not locking up major exclusives.

HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
Nintendo: No disc format for N64 Microsoft: No strong Japanese support for XBox Sony: Including a Bluray player in PS3