What is the Wii U came out 5 yrs ago like it should have??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cyberstalker1 (412 posts) -

How do you think it would have done against the PS3 and 360 or affected the battle between the two. I see it as being maybe 2nd. With lack of many 3rd party games and mostly nintendo purists going the Wii U route. The controller which is suppose to be the selling point is laughable. How am I suppose to look at the TV and the controller screen at the same time? The gimicky Wii controller was atleast something new that people had not seen before. Now everyone has a smart phone or an ipad and a touch screen is nothing special.

#2 Posted by tagyhag (15874 posts) -
5 years ago not everyone had a smart phone or an ipad.
#3 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

If Wii U is capable of running Unreal Engine 4 then NO its the right time it released.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#4 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -
5 years ago Nintendo would be losing profit selling it that way and they'd fail like the PS3 did at the beginning. Note that I like PS3 more than Wii but I admit it had several issues when being released such as price point.
#5 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -
If the WiiU came out instead of Wii and got 3rd party support that woulda been my perfect console. Too little too late now tho, imo.
#6 Posted by Meinhard1 (6790 posts) -
It would have been more appealing -- HD, two new controllers. ... and more confusing -- people are already confused about the gamepad alone. And quite a bit more expensive. Instead of making loads of profit at launch, Nintendo would have to take big losses. It would not have succeeded the way the Wii did, but would have been a formidable match for the 360 and PS3.
#7 Posted by Killzonage (397 posts) -
It would of done just fine, I guess.
#8 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
if it had come out 5 years ago, it would've been obscenely expensive and no one would buy it.
#9 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
It's not suppose to be.... it is selling point that made Wii go to the top and it's not because you move your body but fact it's different, more fun and very easy to understand. Hardcore gamers don't understand that majority of people living on earth are casual gamers, that don't care about quality of the game... but fun. Those who manage to attract them will get most money. Nintendo lure them in way of interacting with the game, insted of already boring for them game pad model they have something diffrent and more fun... thats why they won. I know it's painful for all hardcore gamers but thats how world functions, you got cult and you got mainstream
#10 Posted by MW2ismygame (2188 posts) -

if it had come out 5 years ago, it would've been obscenely expensive and no one would buy it.BrunoBRS

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#11 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
Wiiu is just a new controller for wii and the units now ship with hdmi.
#12 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2607 posts) -

I think it would have sold like the Gamecube.

#13 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

What is?

#14 Posted by Yoshi9000 (479 posts) -

Wii U controller allows

-play two consoles at same time, or if someone wants to watch tv, you can still use controller to play.

-could possibly use as a separate screen to eliminate splitscreen if you want to play with a friend. No screen hacking.

-5 people could play locally. Maybe even more in future.

it's a pretty convient idea I'm surprised wasn't introduced earlier. I'm sure it's a great console, that will compete well, and I can see microsoft and sony mimicing it like they always do to nintendo.

#15 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Well, I *do* think the Wii could have already been much like the WiiU.

They could have opted for better hardware (dual IBM PowerPC chips@faster clocks, AMD R1600-based GPU, 256-512 MB GDDR2 RAM, SD card storage) & a more "traditional", dual analog gamepad with a touch-screen in the middle taken from DS.

But would they do so, they wouldn't profit on it as well as they did on the Wii which was basically the only console that was fully profittable right "out of the gate" and had very nice profit margins for quite a long time.

It may be a "dead" console now but it was a gold-mine for Nintendo for quite some time.

The problem the WiiU is now facing is that it simply doesn't show anything that wouldn't already be possible on the Wii, imo.

I believe games like Nintendo Land, NSMBU and ZombiU would be easily doable on the Wii in a bit worse (non-HD) graphics and the Wiimote and if they wanted the touch-screen functionality, they could simply allow Wii-to-DS connectivity.

The Miiverse would probably also work on the Wii in some form.

The console needs more games that trully make you think "that wouldn't be possible on Wii", imo.

#16 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
It probably would have cost $700-800 USD.
#18 Posted by Timstuff (26840 posts) -

If Wii U is capable of running Unreal Engine 4 then NO its the right time it released.

faizan_faizan
The Wii can run Unreal Engine 3. Fat lot of good that's done for it.
#19 Posted by KBFloYd (19384 posts) -

the wiimote was needed to bring nintendo out of the dead and into the mainstream again....low cost console was neccessary to saturate the market with its product...

the wii was a neccessary 1st step.....WiiU is a nice melting of both worlds and provides a more enriching experience for the core gamer..

#20 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

me3x12

Will be a heavy scaled down version and good luck with the Wii-U running a new Cry Engine 4 and Frostbite 3

Wii U running Cry Engine 4 and Frostbite 3? Pfft, Even the XBOX 1080 would fail infront of it.
#21 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
It would still have the Wiimote right? There's your answer.
#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34370 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

Timstuff

No... it couldn't.
#23 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -
[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

nintendoboy16

No... it couldn't.

It could run the MT engine though. Which powered Capcoms games. Just running an engine may not be good enough.
#24 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2932 posts) -

It would have sucked and would have been extremely expensive - touchscreen of that size, quality and resolution was unthinkable back then and the video streaming is space tech even now. Thats why this speculation is just as stupid as speculating what would happen if xbox 720 would have released five years ago...

#25 Posted by madsnakehhh (16265 posts) -

It wasn't possible 5 years ago, at least not with all the features it has and the price it currently has.

#26 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
I love it Nintendo had the best selling console last gen and one of the most successful systems of all time. But posters on systems wars are saying they did it wrong.
#27 Posted by PressXtoJump (1484 posts) -
the sheep might have been legit
#28 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11233 posts) -

If it released back then, It would have had a huge price tag and be the strongest console of the three. Many of its features would also surpass what the other 2 had to offer. I wonder how 3rd parties would have reacted to it back then.

#29 Posted by KBFloYd (19384 posts) -

SidiousTPM.jpg

the Wii's death was a neccessary loss.

#30 Posted by LLYNCES (378 posts) -

if it had come out 5 years ago, it would've been obscenely expensive and no one would buy it.BrunoBRS
Yeah I remember the 360 being 599$ and the PS3 being like 649 or 700$ CAD (Canadian) I'd imagine the Wii U would have been even more expensive (700$+) at launch here.